Upcoming Steelhead Season

Author
Hobart121
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/03 10:07:57 (permalink)

Upcoming Steelhead Season

Anybody care to weigh in on how they think this season will be? Personally I'm hopeing for a bit more water then last year.

29 Replies Related Threads

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/03 11:06:30 (permalink)
    Seems I've had some of my better years after mild winters and hot summers, so have a good feeling. But only time will tell. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/03 12:06:26 (permalink)
    We need rain that's all there is to it if we don't get rain in August September where screwed (hopefully not!!) I'm chomping at the bit to slay some steel

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/03 18:15:21 (permalink)
    Same as every other fooking year...low clear water 85% of the time, blue powerbait, yellow rope, neoprene waders in 70degree temps, "is it worth the trip" and "where are all the steelhead" post on a daily basis starting September 1st.

Enjoy summer plenty of other fish to chase without the crowds. Jus sayin

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Hobart121
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/04 09:09:06 (permalink)
    thunderpole
    I'm chomping at the bit to slay some steel

I know what ya mean! I bought a new steelheading spinning rod and am itching to catch some chrome with it!
    Brad_porter77
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/04 09:13:23 (permalink)
    The farmers almanac in predicting another dry fall. Thus a slow run this year. Few more bad years and the yinzers will become discouraged.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/04 10:08:23 (permalink)
    I'd say it's got much more to do with what's going on in the lake the last couple years than the amount of water in the tribs.  

Early-mid 2000's saw some really dry, warm weather in the late summer and early fall but still had some of the biggest numbers of fish throughout the season that I've ever seen.  

Glad we had a mild winter this year, but this year's runners had to deal with 2 brutal winters with colder than normal lake temps for much of the spring and early summer.  Hopefully numbers will rebound somewhat over the last couple years, but I bet we'll still see smaller than average fish.   
    Jreckner154
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/04 10:15:04 (permalink)
    What's the bait fish situation in the lake the last few years? Does more bait fish = bigger than average steelhead?
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/04 12:20:48 (permalink)
    Weather it's shatty or good I'm going to Oregon late Feb to fish real steelhead for a week so I could care less lol

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/04 13:31:44 (permalink)
    Jreckner154@live.com
    Does more bait fish = bigger than average steelhead?

Absolutely.  And it means more steelhead surviving.  

Have read a few opinions - anecdotal and not scientific - that say baitfish populations are down, particularly emerald shiners which are the primary forage for steelhead and perch.  Some blame it on the previous 2 harsh winters.  Some blame it on the zebra mussels making the water too clear and eliminating too many of the microscopic things that baitfish feed on.  Some say a combination.  

It's why I think that what's going on out in the lake has a lot more to do with how steelhead season goes than how much rain the tribs get or how cold it gets early in the fall.  
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/04 14:36:53 (permalink)
    Brad_porter77
    The farmers almanac in predicting another dry fall. Thus a slow run this year. Few more bad years and the yinzers will become discouraged.

The less people the better!!! Love trib fishing even if there's just a few fish, but CANNOT STAND THE IDIOTS!
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/05 20:05:39 (permalink)
    "The less people the better!! Love trib fishing even if there's just a few fish, but CANNOT STAND THE IDIOTS!"
    How you determine an IDIOT?
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/07 10:48:51 (permalink)
    PAJAY
    How you determine an IDIOT?

An idiot is one who does one or more of the following:
    - Crowds, and tries to squeeze in when there clearly isn't enough room
    - Litters
    - Throws fish away just for the skein
    - Keeps too many fish
    - Snags/ flosses
    - P*sses off landowners in a multitude of ways (littering, parking in unauthorized areas, relieving themselves, etc)
    - Walks through the water in areas that hold fish 
    - Is loud

Thus, having the few bad apples give the rest of Erie steelhead fishermen a bad name. 

Pro Staff:

PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/07 18:50:07 (permalink)
    Thank you for the intelligent response .  I don't  fish the creeks I wouldn't  say because of any other reason then just to many people . I like to get up early honk my horn and sit outside of walnut and the other creeks . Last year there was a charter started to crowed me cause I was catching fish . I just said I will cut your line if you cross me he left me alone .
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/07 20:30:40 (permalink)
    instead of starting another thread what anchor is best for an 16 foot boat in erie ?  I have an river anchor 18 pounds & one of the new style that fold up when you pull up on it . I can't stay put . 
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/21 20:58:28 (permalink)
    PAJAY
    instead of starting another thread what anchor is best for an 16 foot boat in erie ?  I have an river anchor 18 pounds & one of the new style that fold up when you pull up on it . I can't stay put . 

I use a 20 pound plow anchor for my 22' Sea Ray.
    XtopwaterkingX
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/23 00:46:11 (permalink)
    Got chain PAJAY? How much rope?
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/23 20:39:56 (permalink)
    "Got chain PAJAY? How much rope?"
    uh ? I don't understand the question ?
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1071
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/23 21:26:23 (permalink)
    And remember heavy chain, not the kind you would tie your terrier up with. The chain absorbs the bouncing of the boat and prevents the anchor from getting jerked around. 

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6343
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/24 10:17:27 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
            Let's address the questions presented.  The Almanac is calling for reduced rainfall.  So that means less of a sustained run.  Runs will come in short periods after large rainfalls.  A drizzle isn't going to cut it because the ground will be so dry that most of the moisture will be soaked up.
            The "idiots".  The only thing that can be done is to spread the "idiots" out along the stream.  My suggestion is VERY simple.  Make the tribs Fly Fishing Only (FFO)  Catch & Release from the mouths to Rt. 5; with the exceptions of:  Elk; from the boat launch to the mouth, and Walnut; from the mouth to the end of the "Wall".  For the FFO make a maximum hook size of sz 8, no trebles.  (helps prevent snagging and lifting).  Make the daily limit 1 fish; below (downstream from) Rt 20. which will deter the "meat" fishermen.
             These simple things will allow more of the fish to travel upstream which will mean fishermen will spread out more.  
             Articles in so many magazines have made the Erie Tribs into a paradise where anybody can catch fish. I highly doubt there will be a decrease in fishermen.  If you listen to the "Glory Days" stories there is a pretty common thread running through them.  Access and lack of other fishermen.  One is getting less and less and the other is getting greater.  It's time to make the trib fishing a sport fishery instead of a meat fishery.  Just my opinion, based on having fished the tribs from  1972 to 2014.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/24 10:26:58 (permalink)
    indsguiz
    Gentlemen,        Let's address the questions presented.  The Almanac is calling for reduced rainfall.  So that means less of a sustained run.  Runs will come in short periods after large rainfalls.  A drizzle isn't going to cut it because the ground will be so dry that most of the moisture will be soaked up.        The "idiots".  The only thing that can be done is to spread the "idiots" out along the stream.  My suggestion is VERY simple.  Make the tribs Fly Fishing Only (FFO)  Catch & Release from the mouths to Rt. 5; with the exceptions of:  Elk; from the boat launch to the mouth, and Walnut; from the mouth to the end of the "Wall".  For the FFO make a maximum hook size of sz 8, no trebles.  (helps prevent snagging and lifting).  Make the daily limit 1 fish; below (downstream from) Rt 20. which will deter the "meat" fishermen.         These simple things will allow more of the fish to travel upstream which will mean fishermen will spread out more.           Articles in so many magazines have made the Erie Tribs into a paradise where anybody can catch fish. I highly doubt there will be a decrease in fishermen.  If you listen to the "Glory Days" stories there is a pretty common thread running through them.  Access and lack of other fishermen.  One is getting less and less and the other is getting greater.  It's time to make the trib fishing a sport fishery instead of a meat fishery.  Just my opinion, based on having fished the tribs from  1972 to 2014. 

Some good points there, but the PFBC will never go for it, they'd lose so many anglers in the process of applying such regs. I also wouldn't support FFO, I fish with both flies and lures on the creeks and had a blast catching them this April on big plugs. I love fly fishing, but for some (including C&R) anglers, it's just not their thing. And as far as hooks, maybe no trebles, maybe, but size shouldn't be limited, I'm looking to try some large articulated streamers this year that have dual size 2-6 hooks on them and have no desire to fish some bland size 20 nymph for fish that can and do easily throw size 2 trebles at me in OW.
    post edited by Divemaster - 2016/08/24 10:30:57
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9657
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/24 11:11:25 (permalink)
    Maximum size hook thing would be a real nightmare for WCOs, anglers and the local court system.  Guys going home with a $200 fine for having an "illegal" hook in your tackle box would be grounds for a nightmare for the local magistrates.  It would be nice to see some stream sections being FFO & C&R only.  Until then, it just adds to the entertainment of this board...  A limit of 1 fish would likely be the best thing to reduce anglers.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/24 11:14:02 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Maximum size hook thing would be a real nightmare for WCOs, anglers and the local court system.  Guys going home with a $200 fine for having an "illegal" hook in your tackle box would be grounds for a nightmare for the local magistrates.  It would be nice to see some stream sections being FFO & C&R only.  Until then, it just adds to the entertainment of this board...  A limit of 1 fish would likely be the best thing to reduce anglers.

There will be an underground market for falsely labeled hook packs, just like those "20hp" mercs lol. I agree it'd be nice to have a few FFO and C&R sections, but not everywhere on all the creeks. 1 fish limit at 21" plus would be a step in the right direction though.
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/24 12:46:45 (permalink)

Pro Staff:

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/24 12:53:16 (permalink)
    johnthefisherman
    http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Snaggin%E2%80%99-Special-Snagging-Rod/product/12082905321832/

That's all I got to say. 

Just adding to my list of reasons to never support or shop at Bass Pro Shops. Sponsoring mass slaughtering of native Buffalo and Gar, and now making rods specifically for snagging fish, both practices that show no signs of being a respectful sportsmens' store. I'll stick with Cabela's, Field and Stream, and local businesses.
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/25 10:29:50 (permalink)
    1 fish limit ...always thought that it would be good idea.

From the lake to Rt 5 on all tribs Bait Fishing only- NO FLY FISHING!

WCW
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/25 13:27:01 (permalink)
    And what kind of effect will the idea of bait fishing only have?? What about the people who use live bait on a fly rod.. i always said catch and release to route 5 until November 1st.. gives the fish a chance to spread out and make it through the gauntlets.. raise the size limit too. Seein way too many 18-20inchers get roped like they are a trophy

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    workcanwait....
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/26 09:32:50 (permalink)
    "And what kind of effect will the idea of bait fishing only have??"

A lot less foul hook fished by guys who think they know how to flyfish.

Jus' a lil ' sarcasim...relax   WCW
    crawlerman2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/26 10:51:03 (permalink)
    I fish with 4 guys who flyfish and I mostly use bait.  They snag way more fish than I do.  I also see a ton of fly fisherman lifting.  quite skilled at it too, hook right on the underside of the mouth.  They should make all of the posted areas sanctuary water.
    PooFLinger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re: Upcoming Steelhead Season 2016/08/26 16:37:08 (permalink)
    Im goooood buddy haha ! We are the ones on the water seeing this stuff i HIGHLY doubt anyone that follows this forum daily is anything less than a true sportsman or they wouldnt be on here talking about slimy fish lol if there are 100 m&ms in a bowl do you need to eat every single one or are you the person that thinks..hey maybe someone else would like some m&ms i better leave some for down the road..no different than being on the water.. one thing I always think to myself when i put a fish back is you know this exact fish could be the fish that gets some 5 year old kid hooked on fishing and maybe he will enjoy it as much as i do

Gill em to kill em then Rope em smoke em
    Jump to: