• Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2016/08/20 22:46:41 (permalink)

17 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9684
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/21 08:18:08 (permalink)
    I'm curious if they use the funds to actually do the repairs, or just drain and move onto another? There seems to be a lot of dams they are "fixing", by draining and letting sit... Why not fix the ones that are drained? I guess these could be matched funds of local "save our dams" type?
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/21 15:17:02 (permalink)
    Porktown
    I'm curious if they use the funds to actually do the repairs, or just drain and move onto another? There seems to be a lot of dams they are "fixing", by draining and letting sit... Why not fix the ones that are drained? I guess these could be matched funds of local "save our dams" type?

Glade Run in southern Butler County is just about done and supposed to be filled for trout season in spring 2017.

Took a big grass roots effort to secure the $4 million funding to get the dam repaired. The local conservancy that was formed also spent money on fish habitat/structure and a handicap fishing deck.

If not for the Glade Run Conservancy I imagine Glade Run would still be sitting empty for several more years.

This is the first time that I'm aware of that the state has released a large amount of funding for multiple repairs without a grass roots effort aimed at a particular lake. I don't know why they chose those particular lakes and not others that are currently empty, but would guess it has to do with nearby population density and historic use.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/21 17:04:04 (permalink)
    Lakes designated as flood control will receive the quickest attention, so it seems.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

jug
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/22 09:49:07 (permalink)
    I'm not exactly thrilled about this, but then I doubt anyone is. It brings up some interesting points though. They claim they are going to move the fish to other lakes. If that's so, which species will be transported where? As big as that lake is, you know there have got to be some monstrous musky, cats, and carp in there. Just look at the 52 lb flathead that was caught this summer. Will these species be taken care of and properly transported to another body of water? Or will they only be concerned about their stupid stocked trout, and leave the rest for dead? That's my biggest fear and it'd be such a huge shame and waste to see that happen.

Donegal is such a huge lake so to see some of these monster fish potentially being moved to some smaller lakes, it could make for some real interesting fishing in the years to come. That's the one plus side.

I'M ON A MISSION
    IM GOING FISHING
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/22 12:09:12 (permalink)
    jug
    I'm not exactly thrilled about this, but then I doubt anyone is. It brings up some interesting points though. They claim they are going to move the fish to other lakes. If that's so, which species will be transported where? As big as that lake is, you know there have got to be some monstrous musky, cats, and carp in there. Just look at the 52 lb flathead that was caught this summer. Will these species be taken care of and properly transported to another body of water? Or will they only be concerned about their stupid stocked trout, and leave the rest for dead? That's my biggest fear and it'd be such a huge shame and waste to see that happen.

Donegal is such a huge lake so to see some of these monster fish potentially being moved to some smaller lakes, it could make for some real interesting fishing in the years to come. That's the one plus side.

Majority of the carp will be left to rot...kinda like North Park...jus sayin

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/22 20:33:01 (permalink)
    put them in the yough the numbers been down for years !
    Signartist
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/22 20:47:08 (permalink)
    Moving fish to such a small lake like mammoth seems stupid. Why not greenlick? We all know it needs some fish in it.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/23 00:13:16 (permalink)
    I wonder how many fish will go down stream to 4mile then Loyalhanna? Seems likely to me if they breach the dam the right way   sam
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/23 21:39:18 (permalink)
    Mountian Man
    jug

Majority of the carp will be left to rot...kinda like North Park...jus sayin

Man what a shame...such a shortage of big carp huh? They should ship em to amish farms for fertilizer and chicken feed

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/23 21:42:04 (permalink)
    Any waterway that has fish at least has carp...how many you need? Learn how to catch em easily then youll get over it

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    muskefisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/25 19:23:34 (permalink)
    Old dog, I think you are thinking Tamerack. Its still sitting empty.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake donegal 2016/08/30 12:33:03 (permalink)
    It was reported in the Greensburg-Tribune Review that the PF&BC will hold a public meeting on Thur. Sept. 22nd at 6-30 pm at the Donegal Community Center for anyone interested in the drawdown of Donegal Lake. This will be a chance for anyone to get answers & share concerns about the lake.     sam
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re: lake donegal 2016/09/05 12:42:35 (permalink)
    Fished Donegal yesterday evening for a while.  Lots of boats on the water, I left around 10pm and there were still people launching boats.  Guess everybody is trying to get out while the lake is still there.  Didn't catch anything, I never have luck with catfish/carp on clear nights.
    jug
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re: lake donegal 2016/09/07 19:37:28 (permalink)
    Signartist
    Moving fish to such a small lake like mammoth seems stupid. Why not greenlick? We all know it needs some fish in it.

I'd love to see some of these fish moved to Greenlick!

I'M ON A MISSION
    IM GOING FISHING
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    Re: lake donegal 2016/09/10 12:36:16 (permalink)
    jUG, I don't think that they should put any fish in Mammoth because there was some effort from the County Parks to try to drain the lake to remove the silt from it. They had some plans last year, but had to put them on hold because of the expense. I don't know if they still are going to do this.   sam
    muskefisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re: lake donegal 2016/09/11 10:57:14 (permalink)
    I know when they did fish salvage on Tamarack and put fish in Woodcock and French Creek. , they literally had tons of fish moved. It was crazy all the fish. The biologist told me they never expected the volume and size of fish. So the PFBC knows what they are doing.
    phishfearme
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    Re: lake donegal 2016/09/15 16:30:40 (permalink)
    Meatball
                     -- Frank Sinatra

hey meatball, I think your moniker quote was said by the actor Jack Lemmon in the movie Under the Yum Yum Tree (1963). Both the movie and the 1960-61 play were written by Lawrence Roman (1921-2008).

The line has frequently been credited (incorrectly) to Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr. and W. C. Fields.

I think the W.C Fields line from which this was derived is better: YOU'RE DRUNK!! - "Yah and you're ugly - tomorrow I'll be sober but you'll still be ugly."

phish
    Jump to: