Yough River Float

Author
Bsapp15401
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points: 0
2016/07/21 11:25:53 (permalink)

Yough River Float

We are considering floating from Connellsville to West Newton, typically float from Connellsville to Dawson and a few Connellsville to Layton trips. Has anyone ever done this? I know it would be an overnight trip, either staying at the primitive campground or Hazelbakers. Has anyone done this trip? How about from Layton to West Newton? I know how good the fishing can be from Connellsville but I am not familiar with the second half. Also, what do most people use fishing the river, typically I float shiners the entire way for a relaxing trip but I am willing to do some "work"? I never caught a catfish floating either, any tips?

All input is appreciated!

-Bryan

6 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Yough River Float 2016/07/21 11:44:35 (permalink)
    Hazelbaker's to West Newton is a haul, might want to consider taking out at Cedar Creek.  I'm assuming that you're in a canoe?  I use a raft & it's way slower than canoes, but from just downstream of Haselbaker's to Cedar Creek takes me 8-9 hours.  Hazelbaker's all the way to West newton, in a canoe, I'd guess would be 10+ hours float, but that's a total guess.  The public take out at West Newton is also a silted in muddy mess.  I don't use it anymore because of that. 

There is some good water, it's similar in structure to the area you're familiar with.  I would say get out early if on a weekend, because once the parade of canoes starts from Hazelbaker's it doesn't stop all day long most days, that can get frustrating for fishing intensely.

registered
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re: Yough River Float 2016/07/22 18:55:27 (permalink)
    Bsapp15401
    We are considering floating from Connellsville to West Newton, typically float from Connellsville to Dawson and a few Connellsville to Layton trips. Has anyone ever done this? I know it would be an overnight trip, either staying at the primitive campground or Hazelbakers. Has anyone done this trip? How about from Layton to West Newton? I know how good the fishing can be from Connellsville but I am not familiar with the second half. Also, what do most people use fishing the river, typically I float shiners the entire way for a relaxing trip but I am willing to do some "work"? I never caught a catfish floating either, any tips?

All input is appreciated!

-Bryan

Bryan,
    I'd plan on taking out at Cedar Creek. The campground at Round Bottom is pretty nice. They built some new structures this year so if you're lucky you won't even need a tent. The fishing from Dawson to Cedar Creek is great, especially if you can beach your craft and fish the riffles and eddies. I always target smallmouth but I've caught everything that's in the river. Mostly use a jig with crawler or minnow imitation. Lots of trout still in the river. Drift a crawler on a drop shot rig through the deep holes. You'll catch some fish.
    If you're looking to catch catfish, August at night around Sutersville is the ticket.
    Enjoy you trip but be cautious, the Yough even when she appears gentle is still a beast.
    rob 
    Bsapp15401
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: Yough River Float 2016/07/25 09:15:45 (permalink)
    I've had many outings with the Yough, I will be prepared for her! Round Bottom camping area, could you tell me more? I have never been or saw this place... I understand it is primitive but I don't know much else about it, How far from the river is it?

Thanks
    registered
    Novice Angler
    Re: Yough River Float 2016/07/25 10:42:53 (permalink)
    Bsapp15401
    I've had many outings with the Yough, I will be prepared for her! Round Bottom camping area, could you tell me more? I have never been or saw this place... I understand it is primitive but I don't know much else about it, How far from the river is it?

Thanks

It's between the river and the bike trail about 4 miles downriver from Dawson. It's where Slush Run empties into the Yough. Because of the vegetation I don't think you can see it from the river. You'll pass Virgin Run on your left. The campground is about one half mile from there. It's before you get to the island. There are thee or four shelters built there and lots of room for tents. Restrooms are available but no potable water. If you're going during the week there should be no problem getting a shelter, not sure about the weekends?
    enjoy
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    Re: Yough River Float 2016/07/27 10:08:12 (permalink)
    I float that area a lot, from Connellsville to Perry township take out, takes about 7 hours under normal flow doing average fishing the harder you fish obviously you can make it take all day. The Perry township to 2nd West newton takeout is about the same time to float. We float in Kayaks, the West newton sportsman's takeout is nice, park by the road beside Palfeys across from the Giant eagle and can drive right down to the river and load up. The Perry township put in is small but if you have 4x4 you can pull down to the river and then park along the road. Cedar creek is only ~2 hours from West Newton and there is some good fishing in there. Lately with the heat the mornings and evenings have been better for fishing, mostly in the riffles and in any shady deeper pools under the overhanging trees. The only spot to be careful of is the rapid at the Smithton bridge, stay left there.

When running and gunning I use Xraps or rebel craw cranks, if I slow it down I fish senkos or Ned Rigs. let me know if you need any more info but the trip you are planning, I would camp on the island just past Hazelbakers and it will be a nice 2 day trip.

registered
    Novice Angler
    Re: Yough River Float 2016/07/28 08:11:42 (permalink)
    Took a bike ride past Round Bottom Campground this morning. Two people camping.
    The river looks fabulous. Might get out on her today.
    The campground is actually down river from the island not upriver as I posted earlier.
    You'll pass Virgin Run, then the island. There is a narrow channel on the left of the island that holds good water.
    Once past the island you'll pass some weed beds and rocky shoreline. Be on the lookout for a sandy area of shoreline. That's the entrance to the campground.
    The river makes a hard right past the campground. If you look at the shoreline area between the island and the hard right turn it looks like someone's round bottom.
    enjoy
    Jump to: