Odd things while fishing

Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2016/07/01 08:29:09 (permalink)

Odd things while fishing

Over the years we sometimes run into odd or strange issues while outdoors. I've had a few but this one was unique and funny. While fishing on Shenango River a few years back I had something pulling on the back of my fishing vest while wading and casting. When I turned and looked I saw nothing at first, then as it started again I discovered a wild hen Wood Duck swimming behind me.
For some reason she was interested in tugging on the back of my vest in a friendly manner. As I moved down river she followed and continued swimming around me. It's like she wanted me to toss her some food or something. She just enjoyed tugging on my vest !

This was not a busy area on the river and wild ducks especially Wood Ducks are usually very shy and avoid humans highly ! Most times they fly away within eyesight of you.
She hung around for about 20 minutes or so then went on about her way. I did manage to get my camera out and snap a few of her swimming behind me tugging away !

Feel free to share any other outdoor oddities !  

17 Replies Related Threads

slabfinder
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/01 11:51:14 (permalink)
    I caught a pair of red panties while dragging bottom with a swimbait in the Ohio River.
    Pauleye60
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/01 12:06:08 (permalink)
    I was fishing the Allegheny at Harmarville using a Countdown Rapala. It was in the fall and all I was bringing to the net were leaves. I felt the familiar tug and reeled quickly to remove more weeds. Surprise surprise, an Allegheny white fish. I put the needle nose to work and yanked it off the back treble. Sort of funny in a way!
    StewFc
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 550
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/01 12:24:20 (permalink)
    A few years back I fished a farm pond and noticed that there were about a dozen or so bass kinda looking at me. I moved along the shoreline and noticed the bass were there again. At this point I purposefully walked the shore and, indeed, the bass were following me. I later found out that the landowner's son was working construction at Raccoon park and would set a minnow trap while he was at work and bring them home and put them in the pond...apparently the bass became trained/conditioned.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/01 13:02:25 (permalink)
    I've posted this one before . Elk Creek fishing, my buddy gets company !

marco
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/01 18:41:37 (permalink)
    good posts!!!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/02 13:21:25 (permalink)
    I was fishing Raystown Lake when it was filling up. No boats were permitted, so I was wading the shoreline. I saw a bass in the reeds and cast to it. The inline spinner I was using came right in front of the fish and the line came tight. Fighting the fish, it appeared that the spinner was outside of its mouth.

It looked that way because it was. Someone had caught the fish on a snelled hook and released it when it swallowed the bait, but leaving the loop. The spinner was hooked in the loop, not the fish.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/03 13:28:04 (permalink)
    Have a nice and safe 4th !

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/10 08:38:30 (permalink)
    I lived in Florida most of the 70s and hooked on Pier fishing and you have not caught anything till you have a seagull snatch your bait in the air and hook his beak! You're trying to bring the bird in without harming it or getting yourself torn to shreds with a **** female tourist screaming at you to cut the line and not hurt the bird.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/10 12:50:46 (permalink)
    WJ I hooked a stork one time on a pier, luckily some savvy  local young fishermen helped me unhook and release it.
    These youngsters fished and roamed the pier during the day catching and asking others for rough fish caught so they had shark bait at night. I had too much social obligations at night to join them, however every morning they would relate  their adventures from the evening before. They had a big shark on the pier one evening however it thrashed until it regained its freedom. Had I been 12 to 14 years old  I would have been right with them. Who am I kidding I am 64 yrs old and I would still have a great time joining them.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/10 13:25:08 (permalink)
    I know exactly what you're talking about the local youth had it perfect when it came to pier fishing. Did you ever pull the mullet,/ sardine trick all the tourist? Sent more than running off the pier to throw up!
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/10 18:53:26 (permalink)
    WJ Never heard of that one.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/10 19:25:53 (permalink)
    That's when you lay your dead mullet on the rail on one side of you and good sardines or the other. The tourist see you putting mullet on your hooks and when they start to crowd you and won't  let you be just pick up a sardine and bite it! Just remember which side is what!
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/11 19:26:20 (permalink)
    Walleye jigs
    I lived in Florida most of the 70s and hooked on Pier fishing and you have not caught anything till you have a seagull snatch your bait in the air and hook his beak! You're trying to bring the bird in without harming it or getting yourself torn to shreds with a **** female tourist screaming at you to cut the line and not hurt the bird.

Had that happen to me last week fishing the Gulf in Mississippi. Twice I threw out live croakers and as soon as they hit the water a gull swooped in and picked them right up. Only hooked one briefly. And nobody screaming at me to unhook it.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/15 22:55:44 (permalink)
    Watched a guy hook and reel in a seagull at Trout Run many moons ago.....floating Power Bait was his downfall ! LOL.....

The best was the days of the KO Wobbler spoons at Trout Run. (70's)
    Watched a guy casting one with a long noddle rod probably a ten footer.
    As he prepared to swing back and cast, a guy was netting a fish behind him and the spoon just nipped the guy's tossle cap as he fired the rod forward !
    That hat flew off the guys head and headed out into the lake in a second flat ! LMAO  
    It didn't go very far but it was soaking wet when he reeled it in!  LMAO again.... 
    ...... only at Trout Run
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/07/15 23:00:33
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/16 06:55:04 (permalink)
    I actually caught a fish, once!!    Ummmmm, Okay....  hooked a fish!!!  Okay!  Okay!  I'll leave.. I'm goin'!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/17 23:35:05 (permalink)
    Whole list of chit I hooked 90% of this came from our pristine rivers lmfao
    -Traffic cone
    -Lawn Chair
    -Garbage Bag
    -Sandals
    -Muffler
    -Ohio River Whitefish
    -Bat during a cast at night
    - 17" Rat (on a trip in Britain fishing a syndicate)

Just odd chit
    - had homeless duUD walk by and fell asleep next to a bike path this past weekend
    - got stop by a fish warden at night heard something across the lake, shined his light on two guys banging each other in the reeds LMAO
    - Fat black woman at Twin jogging in her sports bra when the twins both fell out
    - Chinese guy fight a Russian guy at Walnut over a lost steelhead
    -

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    FredT
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re: Odd things while fishing 2016/07/18 16:20:28 (permalink)
    This happened to me and my dad back in the 60's.
    We were fishing the Long Pond on Presque Isle from the boat and the sun started to go down and was getting dark. Something went by underwater that was generating light. Traveled the length of the boat in about 5 seconds, and it was gone. Still can't imagine what it was. Never heard if any glow in the dark fish or seeweed around here and glow-in-the-dark bobbers haven't ben invented yet.

Jump to: