Steelhead fishing at walnut

Author
Brad_porter77
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 80
  • Reward points: 0
2016/06/05 21:35:52 (permalink)

Steelhead fishing at walnut

This year I'm thinking about going to walnut for a few days of steelhead fishing. I'm not used to combat fishing so I was wondering if dealing with the crowd is worth it? how are the pods of steel? I usually fish upper elk, the mile creeks, and Godfrey run. Any advice is appreciated

11 Replies Related Threads

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/06 09:03:37 (permalink)
    Lower Walnut is obviously often mayhem, and crowds because it is so well known, but there can be good numbers of fish around, however I'm someone who doesn't mind crowds as much. Definitely do yourself a favor, and go during the week if you can. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/06 10:16:06 (permalink)
    Still crowded during the week and sometimes there aren't any/many fish there, just like anywhere else. Just know your probably fishing to spooked fish, not calm/happy fish. That can make a big difference if you normally fish in relative solitude.
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/08 21:51:36 (permalink)
    Go upstream, just watch out for posted areas. I think you'll be surprised at how short a distance you need to go to get away from the crowds.

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    Brad_porter77
    Novice Angler
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/08 22:19:06 (permalink)
    I walked up the other day while small mouth bass fishing up to the waterfall above the bridge. Hard to believe they can make it up that waterfall. It's a shame but most of the fish are probably caught and kept before they can make it up far enough. Hey I'll still give it a try
    As I catch and release
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/09 08:35:12 (permalink)
    I hardly fished last fall.  Every time I went out, weekend or weekday, there were just too many people for my liking.  I don't deal with that crap anymore, I had enough when a group of guys told me they were standing at the wall at Uncle Johns an hour before sun up just to fish that spot.  I got there right at sun up.  I fished down toward the mouth and when I got back there were 15 guys fishing this area that comfortably fishes 2 or 3.  I pretty much bagged steelhead fishing for a while that day.  Now late winter, early spring was a different story.  Neighbor and I did some exploring and found some honey holes with zero people.  We did well.  
    mike55
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/16 01:13:43 (permalink)
    Brad,

More people every year and less fish.

Still can be really good if you are able to find a pod. Used to be much easier to find fish throughout the system. Hopefully this year has more rain and more fish decide to enter the low trickles of Erie.

Dont let the people who have been steelhead fishing for 2 years try to tell you any different. We all know there are less and less fish. Due to people keeping them? Kind of but not really. PFBC is playing everyone for a fool everywhere this side of the state. Fish stockings are lower all around and have been for years now. At least we saved $1 on our license last year.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/16 01:24:24 (permalink)
    mike55,  kind of makes you wonder where all the money from the Lake Erie stamp goes.  If it's going for easements, what's the sense if there's no fish anyways?  Would love to see an honest breakdown of exactly where that money goes, including how much is spent on projects throughout the state that aren't Erie related even tho it's all supposed to stay here.  Will never believe this isn't happening.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9679
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/16 09:42:22 (permalink)
    Whether this is the case or not...  Would you give up 3-4 years of good fishing (low stocking numbers) for them to buy easements (life long), then raise the stocking numbers back up when land is secured?  Hopefully that is what is going on.

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/17 10:31:13 (permalink)
    What are ya talkin about? 

We had a short mild winter this year. Itz guna be an epik run dis yeer, dood.

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Brad_porter77
    Novice Angler
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/17 21:31:48 (permalink)
    Hey johnthefisherman are you John pacsavage
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Steelhead fishing at walnut 2016/06/18 14:14:40 (permalink)
    Just thinking about the past days of fishing and how things have changed . Lake Erie trib fishing has really changed and mostly for the worse. Crowds have dominated the creeks to the point of, if you move you loose ! The good old days of actually walking and fishing hole after hole have just about disappeared. Posted land has also increased and has blocked out much of the pristine areas along the creeks that were once open to all who didn't mind walking .
     Fishing etiquette has taken a back seat with all the crowds squeezing the favorite staging holes and runs. Seemed years ago when the cold came the crowds died down.....no more ! Now you have to be the first there to hold your area and be careful if you move ! Some guides arrive with their clients an hour before daylight to hold down a certain spot !  Now days I'm a part timer along the Great Lake tributaries of all three states but I'll say this much .......
    If you think it's still good and you enjoy it more power to you , but you have no idea how great it was in "The good old days " !  
    Jump to: