Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
2016/05/24 07:22:29 (permalink)

Some healing

I've had a  great Spring, fishwise.  I managed to get my first Hudson smallmouth in March, and my first New England striper in April. The past two springs have been worrisome, with signs of winter damage to every fishery I frequent , especially those that need estuaries to thrive. This year, after the incredible mild winter, not so. There may be hope for a return to health yet. It may only be my warped thinking, but I saw parallels in the state of affairs in striper migrations on the coast, with what was happening in the Big Lake and the tribs.  I can only hope what I'm seeing on the coast will continue to exhibit itself on the lake ,and by extension , the SR. I imagine HT will let us know what's happening out there. I took my first trip over to the North shore of Massachusetts this weekend and the results were better than any I've had in 6 or 7 years.  I fished 6 tide cycles, and landed 200 fish. Mostly small schoolies, but with a few dozen ranging from 20" to 32".  I almost got one in the mid-30's to eat a small fly off the bottom on a flat, but the sun was bright and it was skittish....  Next trip the bigger fish will have arrived in numbers, so I'm not disappointed. It was hugely heartening to see shoals of baitfish in the estuaries, and the bottom carpeted with small crabs . Guaranteed the bottom of the SR will have more life clinging to the  rocks  and in the mud in the frog water.  There'll be more  dragon flies and damsel flies. And the small stuff that eats them.  And maybe more of that phytoplankton that starts the ball rolling. I'm flashing a peace sign in one pic, take it as a gesture of goodwill, but I did it to remind me in years down the road that this was fish number 200 in the year the stripers made a bit of a comeback. By the way, I fished like a  maniac (so what else is new)  to reach that number and quit after I landed it.  Hope springs eternal, but Spring has given great hope, at least this year.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

36 Replies Related Threads

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/24 07:24:51 (permalink)
    Good luck out there, guys.

Attachment(s)

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/24 08:14:21 (permalink)
    Great report.
    Nothing like Schoolies one after another for a GREAT day of GREAT tugs.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/24 10:24:46 (permalink)
    Good for you Fichy.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/24 10:58:50 (permalink)
    Fitchy,where is that fishing located? Looks like great fun and you don't need a boat.PM me if you don't want the world to know that location. Also,good to hear from you again as its been awhile and I was wondering if all was well with you.Also ,I hope you 're correct about the observation that MAYBE the fishing will be better on the SR this year as I am booked to be there last week of Sept and first week of Oct.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/24 12:39:18 (permalink)
    Good on ya!
    Hope it continues to fall in place for you.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/24 13:19:31 (permalink)
    Jack, it's Cape Ann, Massachusetts and the  Parker National Wildlife Refuge south of the Merrimack River.  It's not as good a fishery as Cape Cod , Montauk, or RI, but I've been spending a lot of time there for the past 25 years. Nancy and I were married on the beach pictured with me fighting one at dawn. It's one of the few fisheries I KNOW .  I'd feel confident being a wade guide there, or from a boat, if I had one.  Not that I want to give up my spots. lol.
    The best part , besides the fishery is the absolute beauty of Cape Ann. One of the jewels of the east coast. If you ever want to visit, just give me a call.  At times, all you need is an 8 wt. and an intermediate line, and you can have some real fun. I have spare rigs, stripping baskets, and plenty of time/fish proven flies.  Rich has a great fishery and the knowledge to do something with it in the Hudson, but it just ain't the same for me.  I'm too much of a stubborn, diehard fly flopper.  On a side note, a guy showed up  at one famous spot that's been mentioned in a few books and stood 10' from me. I ripped him, a new one, but relented on  continuing to be nasty to him. A mistake, as he reminded me of Chartist with a constant  blather about all his new rods and going here and there and $$$$$$$$  his azz off.  He tried to get my name and shake my hand when he left,  I just laughed.  Too many like him in the world, already, I sure ain't encouraging them.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/24 19:50:04 (permalink)
    Way to go Charlie enjoy life and the fishing.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/26 05:45:14 (permalink)
    Great pics. One of these times I'll going to have to take you up on a trip. Things are starting to really heat up. Been tearing up the trout and last night caught a bunch off the dock at my parents last night time to maybe start hitting the Hudson hard. Wish I could fish a couple places at once. All this fish and not enough time
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/29 07:28:18 (permalink)
    I figured I'd throw this on here as it pertains to stripers. I needed some new tippet for the salt and decided to try Drennan fluoro instead of the usual expensive and not-so-great I've been using. I had a spool of 10 for salmon, so I used it in RI on my first trip this year. Worked great around the rocks and I noticed much less abrasion. I ordered some from FishUSA and the guy got it out to me immediately, late on a Sat. aft. so I could have it before I left for the next trip without forking out the overnight delivery. THANKS!  I got 12 lb. and have every confidence handling big stripers with it.  It's a little stiff, so I use a non-slip loop knot to tie on flies. As we all know, Drennan break strength is far beyond what they list, I'm guesstimating the 12# (same dia. as Rio and Orvis  16#)  as being around 18#. In bright, clear conditions I went back down to the 10# and picked up some finicky fish. I'll also carry some 8.  The SR is the only place that I've ever seen it, it really is peculiar to salmon fishing. Works for me. IMO, good stuff.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/29 10:56:08 (permalink)
    Charlie I love Drennan, problem is that when tying leaders you have to be careful.  I use Trilene XT for leaders. Say if you tie a leader with 20/15/10 and then a tippet of 6# drennan many times the tippet is stronger than the 10# end of the leader.  I go by the diameter with Drennan. Also with Drennan you get 50m and with many others it is 25 or 30m so price is comparable or better.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/29 12:26:17 (permalink)
    My salt leaders are 50-25- then tippet, Clint, to turn over big flies (some 12" long) and heavy eyes.  I bought 2 spools of the 12# and imagine they'll last the striper season. A lot of the snags are on mussels or weed or barnacle covered rock. The Drennan pulls out of the snags without breaking. You end up using and losing less. Too bad the SR wasn't as forgiving.  I'm with you on the 50m spools, too.  For the money, Drennan rocks. I've been using Airflo Sightfree tippet for steel, but I think I'll just stick to 4,6,and 8 Drennan , and if I have any left at the end of the season, I like it for bass, too.  The dispensers are cool, I NEVER lose the end of the tippet, like you tend to do with other tippet spools. I wouldn't trust in on bluefish, but I bet the 12 would help with pickerel teeth. 
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/05/29 13:55:51 (permalink)
    I have been using P-line for tippet for several years and for the price I have no complaints.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/03 13:40:58 (permalink)
    pafisher
    I have been using P-line for tippet for several years and for the price I have no complaints.

Jack, I found some P-line and some Berkley Vanish spools I had kicking around. I did some simple tests with abrasion and strength comparing these 2 with Drennan and Orvis Mirage, all in the same dia. The P-Line is good for the money, and a buddy of mine that's a well known striper guide uses it on his boat, but the Drennan had better knot strength, overall strength and a little more abrasion resistance.  I'm on a mission to catch some cows like Rich does from his boat. Harder to do, splashing around out there in the estuaries and beaches. I need every little help I can get to herd them in with a silly fly swatter. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/03 21:22:09 (permalink)
    Charlie, the fishing you do is amazing.. I believe you put a ton of acquired skill, knowledge and dedication towards the pursuit of your quarry..  You have been on some of the same streams, rivers , oceans , lakes and ponds as me,
    many, many more I'm sure..  Your skills with a fly swatter are not even in the same league (imo) as myself and many folks I know, you may say the same to those you know as well..
    Point is , your pretty dam good to say the least at how you chose to fish..  I try as well in most of my adventures..
    We both know the spawning migration on the Mighty Hudson is a beast of it's own.. I learn more every season and been fishing this river since the mid 70's , Heck I'm still learning  ..
    To me, being out there and gaining confidence by our results is very healing..
    You will catch and hope you post that cow this year  !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/03 21:22:38 (permalink)
    I notice you did not even mention the vanish. That stuff is not good in my book. Knot strength and breaks easily when nicked. At least with the stuff below 10#

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/04 11:21:19 (permalink)
    I attended a pay as you go bass fishing seminar about ten years ago and the main speaker was Hank Parker.  Parker is a rep for Berkeley and he said in his opinion Vanish was the worst line the company ever made. 
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/06 07:43:55 (permalink)
    No Vanish was used in the making of this post.The large bass   in any number haven't shown yet, I made do and got a few near the 28" mark. Two were over the top of a shallow mussel bar and the stripers absolutely went bezerk, even breaking water. They hammered a 7" yellow over white Deceiver.  Fun!  The big tides floated tons of debris off the marshes, so the water was filled with crap. I had to find the times and currents that limited it.
    A blimp made an appearance out of the fog. Haven't seen one in years. I got a decent number of fish, albeit small ones.  I complain and  moan, but even the 10"ers put a bend in the 9 wt., whereas a trout would  provide about as much fight as a leaf.  The pic out over the estuary is called Clamhouse Landing on the Essex River. Kayak is getting launched from here on the next trip.  2 hrs. towards the Ocean on the outgoing, flip around and come back on the incoming. At least you hope it works that way. If no one minds I'll keep this thread as a place to share salty trips until the river starts in. 

Attachment(s)

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/06 07:51:04 (permalink)
    Some pretty places can be found if you like to walk. I just try to keep the walking from not getting in the way of the fishing. Just like the  SR, only different.

Attachment(s)

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/06 11:08:52 (permalink)
    Keep them salty posts coming Charlie,I enjoy them!
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/06 19:52:15 (permalink)
    Awesome reports charlie!!!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/07 10:31:21 (permalink)
    Hey Andy, have a great summer with the kids!  Seeya in the fall.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/07 19:45:58 (permalink)
    Thanks charlie and same to you. Ive tangled with a few preseason smallmouth with the kids. They are rather large this year. Should be a good one. See ya in fall :)
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/08 15:35:10 (permalink)
    Well, I've been hunting cows, and this is the closest I've come. Not a striper, but 30x25 and 24 1/2 lbs.   15 minute battle with a 6 wt. and 3x. I had to wade in and scoop it while a fellow that  was fishing nearby took the rod and kept pressure on it. Now that   20 with the carp is out of the way for the year, maybe my striper will come next. I can hope.

Attachment(s)

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/08 17:51:07 (permalink)
    What did it take? That's a nice fish and they do fight hard.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/08 18:05:46 (permalink)
     An Oregon Cheese egg with a hot orange beadhead. I swipe flies out of the steelie boxes. They'll be full again, come fall. I imagine you must have some around you, Jack. Good practice for kings...
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/08 19:59:25 (permalink)
    For local trout I use a 4ft 6in light rod with 4 lb test and size 8 to 10 hooks with  a 1 1/2 to 2 inch garden worm and a tiny spin reel with a great drag.
    During the local May Sucker run they were up to about 3 pounds or a bit more- Felt like whales and hit the bait like a gamefish.
    Fun stuff under logs and overhang.
    ( still aint trout though-lol)
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/08 20:46:02 (permalink)
    That's a pig for sure :)
    Out back crik has been mud for about 2 weeks now so no chance of spotting them here . Maybe now that you inspired me I may pay attention agin to the local flavor.
    Thanks for sharing

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/09 10:43:48 (permalink)
    fichy
     An Oregon Cheese egg with a hot orange beadhead. I swipe flies out of the steelie boxes. They'll be full again, come fall. I imagine you must have some around you, Jack. Good practice for kings...

I HAD a pond 5 minutes walking from my house that was loaded with big carp.The pond was formed by a dam on a small creek many years ago and was severly silted in over the years but did have those Carp.The pond is located on township property and a couple years ago the twsp. decicded to bust the dam,of course when they did the pond went with it and the Carp are gone.There are other spots in the area but I never get to them for one reason or another.
    I'll be heading to Ohio to visit the family over fathers day thru the 4th. and will try for Carp and Small mouth while there.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: Some healing 2016/06/09 11:10:35 (permalink)
    Nice fish Charlie, congrats.
    I took a ride to the Housy in Cornwall CT the other night and played with a half dozen feisty rainbows.  Light Cahills were the ticket.  The fish got real active at dusk with a lot a loud slurps in the riffles atop a long pool.  I may take a ride tonight but the recent thunderstorms have the river up over 1200 CFS with 2-3 feet visibility.  May have to change tactics and chuck some big marabou muddlers.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: