Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
2016/05/12 00:23:32 (permalink)

Fishing Wilhelm 2016

Keep this under yinz hats, I don't want them Pymie fellers to know where I been fishing.

I had one of the most successful days fishing Wilhelm that I have had in 10 years.  I had a blast catching Crappie, Gills and, a few Perch.  Hell I even caught a legal eye today ending a 30 year dry spell.  Yeah, can ya believe it; me catching a walleye, ain't that a hoot and, on Wilhelm?

I started the day off, bright and early this afternoon with the sole intention of trolling from one end of the lake to the other in hopes of dredging something up.  I didn't have the first lure in the water more then a minute when "BAM" the bait clicker sounds off like a grinder in a welding shop.  Wasn't surprised but, slightly disappointed, to seee a Crappie surfing behind the boat as I raised the rod tip and began retrieving line.

Reset rod one and just feeding line out on rod number two when "POW".... fish on and, another Crappie raises to the surface.  The fish were Black Crappie and barely ten inches but both quality fish.  This scenario carried on all day long, sometimes so often, I was beginning to dislike the little creeps.

Seeing the quality and quantity of these Crappie (it's been many years since I caught crappie like this on Wilhelm) I pulled the trolling rods and brought out the big gun, my 6.5 foot St. Croix Ultra Lite.  Tied on a 1/32 oz jig tipped with a black/red tube and set sail for my old Crappie hot spots.  Sure enough, just like the good ole days it was toss, swim, let sink, whack ..........  fish on, it was beautiful.  Again, the fish measured 8 to 10 inches but they were good fish, thick across the back, brightly colored and full of fight.

Ummmm, excuse me, I need a minute................  

Wilhelm is coming back. 

Note:   No Crappie, Gills or, Perch met their fate in the making of this story.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/12 05:46:37 (permalink)
Congrats BTDT. Sounds like it was a great day on the water
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/12 08:32:49 (permalink)
Thank you Crappie_Slayer, me and the Wilhelm go way back together, tremendous amount of memories were made on her waters over the years.  To see a, once fun filled, family fishing lake nearly destroyed for the likes of a few was really sad and now, to see Wilhelm getting back to her ole self, is fantabulous.

I will say, while there are those that nearly killed the wonderful fishing they could never take away her great sunsets.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/12 09:51:40 (permalink)
I've only ever fished it from the shore a few times, and that was quite a few years ago. Might have to make a trip or 2 down if I can tear myself away from pymy and conneaut this year.
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/12 10:17:22 (permalink)
Way to go BTDT .... I do believe the lake is coming back ... Only 1/2 hr trip for me vs 1hr trip to Pymie but don't get me wrong I like Pymie also but always favored Wilhelm .... Besides daughter lives a mile or so from lake. With this report a will be there soon for sure ..... Thanks for the update, also if wife has anymore honey do thingy's she'll have wait ..... But don't anybody tell her what I just said 😜🍺🍺 ...... BTW .... Awesome sunset picture
post edited by mopars0 - 2016/05/12 10:18:41

STEVE.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/12 15:19:28 (permalink)
I think you found your lake !
Seen some hog Walleyes pics from there in the Outdoor Journal's April- May issue so they must be in there .  I've only fished it a handful of times, lots of Bass & Perch years ago . 
zippyduck
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/12 16:15:59 (permalink)
Shhhhh I liked being able to go anywhere on the lake and only seeing a few boats. Now I chase the Bass there, but have noticed the panfish coming back.
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/16 08:41:36 (permalink)
BTDT,

What happened to Wilhelm that gave it the reputation of the dead sea?  When were the days of its glory, what is the time line?  I really don't know, except that I have heard nothing but "stay away" from that place.  I am always happy to hear that a fishery is doing better.
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/16 08:56:29 (permalink)
When the gizzard shad explosion happened the pan fish size dropped dramatically and everything else became really hard to catch.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/16 11:21:42 (permalink)
Tippe I fished Wilhelm, I guess you could say almost religiously, from the time she was opened right through the late nineties.  At that time my fish of choice was the Large Mouth Bass for sport with Crappie/gills and a occasional (lucky catch) Walleye for dinning.

All three fish were abundant in addition to Wilhelm's fair share of Musky, Northern, Perch and, Cats; giving the average Angler a range of good fishing.

As with any fishing, we saw good years and we would see some not so good years with quantity and quality of fish but, you would always find many boats and shore Anglers fishing Wilhelm.

I'm going to say, it was the mid nineties when I began to see a big difference with the vegetation control in Wilhelm in that "all" weeds were eliminated across the entire lake.  There was always weed control to an extent however, it just seemed finding vegetation anywhere of any sort was impossible as compared to earlier years.

Bass fishing remained strong but the quantity/quality of pan fish became significantly  different and the old "honey holes" began drying up with the need to find structure in deeper water if one wished to catch quality pan fish.  You can usually find this area where walleye were once caught.

Structure really never existed in Wilhelm as you see with Pymie or Shenango in that Wilhelm's construction is more "bowl shaped" leaving little if any humps, ledges, drop offs, etc.  At best you will find a few old road beds and maybe the old stream channels of Sandy Creek (once 1 to 2 feet deep) that snake their way through the area.  Hell, I think most of the structure was produced by the "ice fisherman" and their bundles of Christmas Trees being drug out on the ice.  Of course that stopped when the ice fishing slowed to a crawl, for lack of quality pan fish, and over the years those "brush piles" have all but wasted away.

I can remember, searching for "gills" by sight, looking for the "plate sized" dusted areas in the sandy areas and/or by smell.  Remember those days, "gills" so plentiful in "size eatable" that you could smell them?  Well don't count on that today because they ain't "gills" your smelling all over Wilhelm, and they ain't eatable fish either!!  blehhhhhh

I think, last year, it was announced that more toothy critters were being stocked in Wilhelm(*1) that will help control the overpopulation of Shad.  Strange, so many years I fished Lake Wilhelm and never saw  schools of shad both in numbers and size.  Then presto;  her waters are polluted with the fish sometimes, schools so large, the smell is overwhelming but how could that be, with the stocking of sufficient "toothy critters" over the years, should not the Shad population been held in check?

I've continued fishing Wilhelm over the past ten years, more for past memories than catching fish and I can tell you, she isn't the family fun fishing lake she once was and until one day this year I have had little success fishing, like the good ole days.  

But then again maybe I should fish Wilhelm for bass.

*1.  Needed to put the fish from draining Tamarack somewhere.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/05/16 11:29:36

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/16 11:56:37 (permalink)

Have to agree with ya BTDT ....everything you say about the lake but I still fish it hoping for a come back, it is better...a lot of good memories on the lake too.  Last year we did get some better fish nothing like pymie...but I will take it. Grandson took a nice walleye 25" and that was the biggest all year mainly in the teens nothing to write home about did manage a few for dinner , crappie were pretty much small did keep a few that were around 9"-10"... but not many of those.  Also a musky 28" thought i was a nice walleye until I got it to the boat but hey it was fun landing it and releasing it... Plan on hitting it later this week so we will see how things go.....picture is grandson last year, musky was from last year also.....so they are there just have to work for them....also like just being out on the water enjoying life...

post edited by mopars0 - 2016/05/16 12:12:34

STEVE.
outasync
Expert Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/16 11:58:47 (permalink)
The bass fishing season that was the most memorable was the year they lowered the water level for work on the dam. The weeds really took off that year and alot of big bass were caught especially on top water. I do believe the year after that is when I first started seeing the shad.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/18 23:20:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2016/05/19 09:09:43
A fishin I did went and I did some catchin too.  Pestered, again, all day by Crappie and Perch as well.  No Walleye today so I tossed a few Crappie in the box and I returned a nice Large Mouth that would of tasted pretty good having been caught in 60 degree water.

Enjoyed a shore lunch, in the boat, of baloney samidges, pretzel sticks and raspberry ice tea.   Garlic baloney good; garlic fish bad, blehhh!

Nice huh? 5 in the box.
 Nice too, huh?

I saw, a total of five boats, fishing between the Marina and the East Bend.  Most were drift fishing and I, well I was trolling and looking goood.

Tight lines and good times.

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/20 22:28:20 (permalink)
Took the new to me boat out tonight for a shakedown run. Hammered the gills for an hour and had an enjoyable evening boat ride with the Mrs.. There were quite a few boaters out. I talked to one older fellow who said he did well on the crappies.
Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/20 22:44:06 (permalink)
Inquiring minds want to know Yote, tell us more of this new, to you, boat.

Congratulation on both your catching and the new rig.

fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/21 21:13:44 (permalink)
BDTD,
The new to me ride is a 16' Crestliner Angler powered by a 20 horse Yamaha.
Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/21 23:30:49 (permalink)
Nice Mike, I hope to see you and your new ride on Wilhelm, congratulations again.

EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/22 12:55:17 (permalink)
My oldest son and I spent an entire day on Wilhelm last October, and it was one tough day of fishin'! 2 largemouths on the far shore from the launch by drifting, then we went down by the dam, did some trolling, but no takers. We then headed up lake toward the shallows and used controlled drifts all the way back to the launch in the deeper water of the creek channel. We had some very light hits, but we could not boat a fish. After the wind and light rain all day, it was good to trailer the boat and head home. I haven't given up on Wilhelm yet, but I prefer fall fishing and live only a mile from the Allegheny near Freeport, so that's where I spend most of my time.
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/24 10:27:16 (permalink)
Hit Wilhelm yesterday afternoon , caught 25 crappie 12 1/2" was biggest brought 11 home ... 9-10" mainly .... 7-8" threw them back to grow some ... No walleye but I'll take it.

post edited by mopars0 - 2016/05/24 10:37:35

STEVE.
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/29 09:06:45 (permalink)
Took my daughter to Wilhelm yesterday. The first couple hours we spent in the stumps pestering gills in bedding areas. Non stop action, not much in terms of keeper size. She wanted to eat her lunch on the way out which gave me the opportunity to bass fish a little. I managed one bass on my fifth or sixth flip, and it was a good one. Easily 5 pounds and obviously post spawn. She was probably over 6 prior to the spawn. Of particular note, saw one giant musky while heading to the stumps, (between the boom and first large island), plus had one chase my bass jig back to the boat while flipping on the way out. 

We then headed down lake. Ran down to an area I call the narrows. Finding colonies of gills was easy and we absolutely hammered them. Simple technique, casting 1" white grubs, 1/32 oz heads, tipped with maggots. It was every cast. 

Gills are obviously on beds everywhere. Bass are done by the looks of what I saw. 

One thing I noticed, water clarity. I can't recall seeing the water so clear this time of year. When the sun was high I could easily see down 5-6 feet. Had there not been a slight wind, and pollen on the surface, it would have been 7-8 feet easily. 

May head back over today, will depend on forecasted storms. The lake was busy, as is to be expected on a holiday weekend. 

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/29 10:46:45 (permalink)
Ready thanks for a great report, sure brought back some fond memories fishing Wilhelm with my kids. Congratulations on your catching, it sounds like you were busy removing lots of fish off your fishing buddies hook.      

Happy to hear about the Musky's in the stump area too, as I was fishing that area last fall and saw huge shad swimming about. 

mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/29 10:47:38 (permalink)
Thanks for the update ...ready2fish , sounds like a fun day you had and always great to spend it with your kids...I was up last Monday and did pretty good with the crappie's brought 12 home caught 25 from 4-8 pm wife doesn't eat the fish so 12 makes me a good meal ...lol Probably hit again this week depending on the weather , figured it would be a good idea to stay away over the Holiday weekend...maybe do some trolling with hot n tots to see what happens ... Good luck to you ......
post edited by mopars0 - 2016/05/29 10:51:54

STEVE.
mopars0
Expert Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/05/29 11:09:21 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat    Happy to hear about the Musky's in the stump area too, as I was fishing that area last fall and saw huge shad swimming about.    Tight lines and good times.
. Always liked it up in the stumps did pretty well with the bass , last year though I was up there and got high centered on a stump that I didn't see. Rocked boat back and forward several times but nothing even fired motor up figured I could get it off for sure ..... Nope , it was getting dark and I thought oh crap time to get ahold of BTDT for some help.... Lol but wait I didn't have his phone # only way to get ahold of him was by the Internet but I rocked it one more time and it came free and I got the heck out of there .... Loaded boat and went home ..... Haven't been back to stumps ..... So maybe this year !!! So BTDT listen for my SOS call .... Lol

STEVE.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/06/06 22:04:00 (permalink)
MY WILHELM ADVENTURES by BTDT................

Beautiful day..

How could one, not call off sick, from work on a day like today?    A near perfect wind from the West giving those who desired, a fantastic drift.

I chose to put to use my trolling gear, pulling Flicker Shads and Shadow Raps beginning at launch four, doing circles, zig zags, and straight lining until ending just East of launch one.   Once again, I found numbers of hungry Crappie, Perch, and Blue Gills but sadly, nothing worth putting in the box.

These guys were certainly hungry, chasing a sizable bait at 1.8 to 2 MPH then getting, the entire treble stuck in their face. 

I spent the last hour of a seven hour day tossing red and white foam ant's I hand tied [he said gloating] along with red and white buck tails in the 1/32 oz range.  But as my luck has it, once again nothing big enough to invite home, for dinner.

Reports from a few other boats boasted Crappie and Perch with one fair Walleye but I didn't hear or see size.

I should also mention just how fortunate I am to have such an understanding wife.  She never questioned the message I left on her voice mail as to why I was calling off sick, and I would not be able to get to her honeydew list today.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/06/06 22:05:14

tippecanoe
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/06/07 14:52:04 (permalink)
I am glad to hear you guys are having some success up there.  Any chance the weeds will come back?  Were/are they still doing winter draw downs to kill the weeds?  Cool to hear there are some musky in there.  Maybe(doubtfully hopeful) they will have an impact on the shad situation.
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/06/07 15:25:52 (permalink)
I am glad to hear you guys are having some success up there.  Any chance the weeds will come back?  Were/are they still doing winter draw downs to kill the weeds?  Cool to hear there are some musky in there.  Maybe(doubtfully hopeful) they will have an impact on the shad situation.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/06/07 18:30:21 (permalink)
Sorry to say Wilhelm does not get drawn down in the winter, to control the weeds.  Weeds would be back in full force Tippe if the Fish Commish (or park) would leave them alone.  

Fishing the lake now, one can find healthy 'pods' of weeds beginning to grow, however if past practices continue, they will soon be brown and down.

Always have been Musky, Northern and Walleye too, until the high echelon tried making Wilhelm a "Bass specific" lake.  Well since that idea got flushed, the toothy critters are once again being restocked......  so we are told. 

outasync
Expert Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/06/07 18:46:19 (permalink)
Always seems to be decent weed beds back in the stumps. I just hope we don't get a nasty algae bloom again this year. It killed the fishing when it turned to pea soup last year.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/06/07 18:58:36 (permalink)
I hear tell that the algae is a result of too much Carp poop!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fishing Wilhelm 2016 2016/07/03 23:03:56 (permalink)
Today I went, I plotted, I trolled, I caught and I lost........  my favorite lure  [awwww] on a stupid piece of rope that was probably still tied to the anchor, on a sunken boat or sumpthin.  

My retriever had the lure and I could see everything attached to a rope as I pulled both fishing and retriever line toward the surface but I couldn't get the mess close enough, to the surface, to get a hand on any of it.  I thought,  re-position the boat and maybe, I could muster that little bit more of needed slack to reach my lure and that's when, the knot on my fishing line broke and for reasons unknown, my retriever let go too. [a little sympathy; if you please]

However, it was a beautiful evening with a few dozen kayaks coming and going, along with several pontoons loaded with tourist enjoying their tour of the lake.

As for the fishing, nothing to brag about even though, me catching any fish is news.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to place an order with FishUSA, I'm hoping they will have another (dozen)  of my favorite fishing lure.

Tight lines and good times, this 4th of July.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: