Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
2016/05/25 07:56:29 (permalink)

Pike Fishing May & June

Has anyone been catching Pike this year? I've put in probably 10-12 hours at this point casting lures in Misery and the mouth of Graveyard Pond from my boat and haven't even seen a Pike, just tons of 4-14" Bass and Sunfish. I've been trying Shadow Rap Shads, Spinnerbaits, daredevles, inline spinners, and even streamers on my fly rod.

Does anyone have tips on how to catch Pike for May and June anywhere in the bay accessible by boat (22' cruiser)? Casting, bait fishing, and trolling advice is all welcome since I'm content doing any of the three as long as I can boat some Northerns of any size. Thanks for the help, all.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/26 14:29:45 (permalink)
Is nobody fishing for Pike? lol
outasync
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 730
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/26 14:54:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby perchmaster101 2016/05/26 14:56:05
Go to conneaut lake. Troll perch colored grandmas, firetiger stick baits or even 1/2 oz spinner baits outside of the weed edges or even cast them in the weeds and you'll get plenty
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/27 06:59:10 (permalink)
Divemaster
in erie in may? No. They're fishing for bass.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/27 07:21:41 (permalink)
FishinGuy
Divemaster
in erie in may? No. They're fishing for bass.

Gotta love the bay in July and August, so much more peaceful than it is now :). It's also when the real monsters come out, big Drum that aren't limited to 7# or less. Not trying to offend bass fishermen which I probably already have (lol), just not as big of a fan of them as oversized Pike and freight train Drum as far as bay fishing goes.
post edited by Divemaster - 2016/05/27 07:22:46
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/28 08:31:11 (permalink)
The bay in July & Aug ? Must love cleaning weeds off lines and props steady !
Drum and Pike who wants them ! 
That Laker fishing got you all messed up ! LOL........22 ft. boat in the Bay ?
Get that boat out on the lake where it belongs !........LOL
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/28 08:39:08 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
The bay in July & Aug ? Must love cleaning weeds off lines and props steady !Drum and Pike who wants them ! That Laker fishing got you all messed up ! LOL........22 ft. boat in the Bay ?Get that boat out on the lake where it belongs !........LOL

LOL, actually in the main bay I rarely get many weeds in lines, misery is a nightmare, though! Out in 120 FOW right now looking for late season Lakers, might be the last weekend for them until October D: . On the bright side, another two or three weeks and Steelhead should be picking up!
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/28 16:24:07 (permalink)
Point that boat West and go fill that cooler with Walleye ! LOL....

Dude, you need to haul that rig up to Niagara River and get out on that "Bar area." 
Early May or mid October ....The Lake Trout capitol ! Drift , troll , cast , jig it all works.
Some days your arms are wore out from battling Lakers all day ! Double digits each person on board is common. Good size fish too ! Your boat is perfect size. Big Trout and Salmon roam the same waters.
It's Smallmouth fishing is "totally overlooked" in early Fall....might be better than Erie !
(best kept local secret )
Take a crew up and give it a shot........World Class Fishing....close to home !
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/28 16:33:00 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Point that boat West and go fill that cooler with Walleye ! LOL.... Dude, you need to haul that rig up to Niagara River and get out on that "Bar area." Early May or mid October ....The Lake Trout capitol ! Drift , troll , cast , jig it all works.Some days your arms are wore out from battling Lakers all day ! Double digits each person on board is common. Good size fish too ! Your boat is perfect size. Big Trout and Salmon roam the same waters.It's Smallmouth fishing is "totally overlooked" in early Fall....might be better than Erie !(best kept local secret )Take a crew up and give it a shot........World Class Fishing....close to home !

About to make Walleye anglers jealous in 3...2...2. Caught a 31" 15# Eye at 12:30 today trolling for shallower (70-80 FOW) Steelhead at "hyper-speed" LMAO! I'll post a picture of it later, hardest fighting walleye I've ever caught, though. 10-12 minute fight and it actually ran out a few yards of line at the start of the fight. Also got a 30" 14# Laker today but pretty slow overall, might go out for an evening troll if this heat and humidity ever dies! This is where having a shore power air conditioner is nice :D.

Anyway, yeah I've definitely got to get to the Niagara this fall. Big Lakers are hard to resist. Add in Steelhead, Browns, Chinooks, and Cohos and you've got my dream fishery, just needs Pinks and my favorite Salmon: Chums.
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/28 21:21:14 (permalink)
Curious to see a picture of that 31" 15#er....that would have had to have a belly the size of a basketball!
XtopwaterkingX
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/28 22:05:18 (permalink)
No doubt, would need to be like 24 inches girth to hit that weight at that length. But either way, if it was a skinny 9 lber or a super fat 15 lber, a 31 inch eye is a nice fish. Good job haha
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/29 01:03:49 (permalink)
Oh , oh ....somebody is being called out ! Sure is taking a long time putting a photo up . 
Don't be photo shopping that picture with those arms way out !  .......LOL
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/29 19:10:42 (permalink)
31 inch fish should be right around 11 lbs. I caught to many eyes out of Erie 70's through the mid 90's Everybody catches 10 pounders till they hit the scales. A lot of big fish but not many true 10 pounder. When a guy gets a big fish they always say it's a 10 pounder. I fished the big pond for over 25 years and the biggest one I saw was 12 plus. I caught thousands of big fish but never a 10. A lot of 7-9 lb fish My biggest eye was 29.75 inches and weighed 9 lbs 14 oz. Your fish was 31 and over 5 lbs  more impossible,unless it swallowed your down rigger ball.lol
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/29 22:19:43 (permalink)
30 Inches -Lake Erie May 2nd 2016 -8 lbs 9 oz
Divemaster I too would like to see a pic of this 15lber...I got one on the wall 34.5 inches big belly not that heavy...maybe buy a new scale.

Divemaster we all get the itch to brag no problem keep posting...WCW

Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/30 06:10:56 (permalink)
Here's the pic: http://www.roughfish.com/...t/files/image_155.jpeg

Sorry for the wait, I've been over at northeast for the past couple days and the service there sucks! Anyway, it looked pretty lean coming up but once it was in the net it felt like an average lake trout (12-16#). Took out the digital scale and it said 14.82 lbs, not 15 on the dot, but pretty close. Easily got 7 pounds of meat out of it yesterday and fed 10 people for dinner at 1-2 sandwiches each.
gizmos
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1190
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/30 08:01:08 (permalink)
Geez....what a beast ! Like just looking at the lake didn't have me jealous enough !! Lol. Congrats !

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/30 08:57:36 (permalink)
gizmos
Geez....what a beast ! Like just looking at the lake didn't have me jealous enough !! Lol. Congrats !

Thanks! Haha, yeah it's nice just to be out here almost every weekend, whether the bite is on or not.
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/30 09:26:16 (permalink)
Nice fish.....now go get a few more !
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/05/30 10:53:16 (permalink)
CAPTAIN HOOK
Nice fish.....now go get a few more !

Nah, in PIB right now mixed bag trolling. Picked up a couple nice Drum on the flats yesterday (4# and 11#) so fishing for them is starting to heat up. Should be a few Pike swimming around too! Oh, and those weird "Bass" things, or whatever they're called.

Still have 1/3 of the meat left if you wanna come get it :).
Snag_826
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 411
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/02 12:46:23 (permalink)
Divemaster

Sorry for the wait, I've been over at northeast for the past couple days and the service there sucks! Anyway, it looked pretty lean coming up but once it was in the net it felt like an average lake trout (12-16#). Took out the digital scale and it said 14.82 lbs, not 15 on the dot, but pretty close. Easily got 7 pounds of meat out of it yesterday and fed 10 people for dinner at 1-2 sandwiches each.

Hey bub I think you need to get a new scale...The one you are using looks like its way off...

"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/02 12:50:29 (permalink)
Snag_826
Divemaster

Hey bub I think you need to get a new scale...The one you are using looks like its way off...

Without a doubt around 15#, no less than 14.5# for sure. Weighed in a 12#r at poor Richards last June and this fish was definitely a few pounds heavier. Like I said, got 7-8# of meat and usually I get about half the fishes' weight in meat when filleting them.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/02 18:00:44 (permalink)
Getting back on topic with this thread (LOL), I guess there really aren't that many guys Pike fishing this time of year. We all know how accurate the long range weather is, but winds for next weekend look a bit high for main lake fishing so if we get stuck in the bay I'll be spending a large portion of the time looking for Pike. Getting my small-medium sized Pike/Drum rod spooled up with some new 20# braid and my big Pike and Musky rod still has fresh 50#, both ready to chuck some jerkbaits, spoons, and spinnerbaits. I'll also make up some dead bait rigs I can fish on my "surf rod" with 20# mono so as to always keep at least 1 bait in the water for hungry wolves.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/05 06:53:11 (permalink)
They where sliders, you known the little finger sammies. Not the slider on your riggers. lol
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/12 20:54:10 (permalink)
Nice 30"r from Saturday trolling in Misery. http://www.roughfish.com/...t/files/image_375.jpeg . Also caught a 24-25" casting a large swimbait.
DipseyD
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/13 06:41:16 (permalink)
 Gee....no wonder this site is about dead. Guy catches a very nice fish for this time of year and everyone is quick to criticize him. That is a beast of a walleye for this time of year....Expecially out of NE. The time spend finding this fish is equally impressive as the catch itself.

I have been beating up the NE pa area with limited luck.....glad to see someone actually gets out for them, rather than busting balls like some guys who aren't even out in the main lake. The drum are turning on pretty good right now ! The white bass bite is getting better and they seem to be schooling up. Now if I could just find a steady perch bite. We have been doing better running fast, 2.5 up to almost 4. The ones willing to chase seem to be the big guys. We picked up one nice 8ish pound pellet-head last weekend. I would prefer to run fast with a hope of pellet-heads rather than slow and low for walleye. The problem is the pellet-heads like to ruin my spread. We are up to running 7 rods this year..... with an 8th on the way from FishUSA. I am very impressed with the Magda pro reels, particularly the 30DXT. Paired with a lake troll rod has been a good set-up.

Divemaster, you should join LEU (lake Erie united), over there we like to congratulate guys who actually get out fishing and have success. Nice job on a pig of a fish. You post enough that we should have no reason to doubt you or question your honesty. Put that pic on LEU and wait for the kudos to roll in from guys who are actually hard at it everyday (including captains).

I will be out off NE Wed evening, Thursday and Friday. Hitting the Ohio river out of Pitt's on Saturday. Depending on weather that might change. Thursday is supposed to rain, so may end up at the Ohio on Thursday. I will PM you if we have any luck out of NE this week.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/13 09:54:12 (permalink)
DipseyD
 Gee....no wonder this site is about dead. Guy catches a very nice fish for this time of year and everyone is quick to criticize him. That is a beast of a walleye for this time of year....Expecially out of NE. The time spend finding this fish is equally impressive as the catch itself.  I have been beating up the NE pa area with limited luck.....glad to see someone actually gets out for them, rather than busting balls like some guys who aren't even out in the main lake. The drum are turning on pretty good right now ! The white bass bite is getting better and they seem to be schooling up. Now if I could just find a steady perch bite. We have been doing better running fast, 2.5 up to almost 4. The ones willing to chase seem to be the big guys. We picked up one nice 8ish pound pellet-head last weekend. I would prefer to run fast with a hope of pellet-heads rather than slow and low for walleye. The problem is the pellet-heads like to ruin my spread. We are up to running 7 rods this year..... with an 8th on the way from FishUSA. I am very impressed with the Magda pro reels, particularly the 30DXT. Paired with a lake troll rod has been a good set-up.  Divemaster, you should join LEU (lake Erie united), over there we like to congratulate guys who actually get out fishing and have success. Nice job on a pig of a fish. You post enough that we should have no reason to doubt you or question your honesty. Put that pic on LEU and wait for the kudos to roll in from guys who are actually hard at it everyday (including captains).  I will be out off NE Wed evening, Thursday and Friday. Hitting the Ohio river out of Pitt's on Saturday. Depending on weather that might change. Thursday is supposed to rain, so may end up at the Ohio on Thursday. I will PM you if we have any luck out of NE this week.

Thanks man! Did I just discover that someone else here loves summer Steelhead, White Bass, and Drum? I figured I'd be the only one for the next hundred years or so! I've browsed LEU here and there but I do need to join. Good luck at NE and the Ohio,
DipseyD!

PS, if you don't mind me asking, what lures and speeds are you picking up your Drum on? We've only trolled them three times so far this season (two times in 8-16' and once in 30-35') and have picked up one nice fish each time (4#, 11#, and 5.5#), but I'm still waiting to start slamming numbers of them, plus I'd like to take back a 12-16" fish to eat and see how it tastes sometime, all C&R for 99% of the time, though.
post edited by Divemaster - 2016/06/13 09:58:08
DipseyD
New Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/13 12:19:51 (permalink)
Yes sir Divemaster.....drum are one of my favorite fish to catch, Expecially while perch fishing with light rods. White bass are fun as well, and you can get on top of huge schools come July. I also think they are as good of eating as perch. I can't say they are good as walleye, but still pretty tasty. Drum are a good eat if prepared right. I found that the texture turns a lot of people off.....kinda got a grain to them. They are terrible deep fried and the meat does not flake. However, they are great on a grill. It's like anything else, even groundhog (whistle pigs) taste good when done right (especially chili). Drum's meat is very firm and does not fall apart. Make sure to remove the vein.

I will be honest with you, I rarely ever troll slower than 2.5. I don't use spinners much, so I have no reason to run down in the 1.2 up to 1.8 range. I also rarely use cranks..... I like spoons.....in fact, I love spoons. The drum don't seem to be in one area quite yet, or a pattern to them at least. I have not tried as shallow as you this year, mostly been in the 35+ range, all the way to mid 80's. The steelies have all come in odd locations so far this year, basically suspended shallow over deeper water (yes, as expected). Our last one was on lead in 52 FOW, using a spoon and 3 color (figured 15-18 foot deep). My maiden voyage of the year was in Thompson bay area, so we were shallow, but was more of a shakedown run.

An 11 pound drum is sweet ! That must have been a heck of a fight.

My normal spread is spoons with sliders on the riggers, two 5 color lead off the back chute, dipsey set usually on 2 or 3 off port and starboard side, and offshore boards up front off each side. I od have issues getting the boards back out if they take a fish. My spread is usually ran tight, just not enough room to sneak the board back out with a long leader length.

This year a particular spoon, the Magnum, in "Steelie Dan" color has been hot for the steelies, and the drum and white bass seem to be favoring Mt. Dew and frog (basically greens). Nothing this year on purple so far. I keep my glow spoons for Ontario.

Looks like the laker action is coming to a close.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/13 12:36:04 (permalink)
DipseyD
Yes sir Divemaster.....drum are one of my favorite fish to catch, Expecially while perch fishing with light rods. White bass are fun as well, and you can get on top of huge schools come July. I also think they are as good of eating as perch. I can't say they are good as walleye, but still pretty tasty. Drum are a good eat if prepared right. I found that the texture turns a lot of people off.....kinda got a grain to them. They are terrible deep fried and the meat does not flake. However, they are great on a grill. It's like anything else, even groundhog (whistle pigs) taste good when done right (especially chili). Drum's meat is very firm and does not fall apart. Make sure to remove the vein. I will be honest with you, I rarely ever troll slower than 2.5. I don't use spinners much, so I have no reason to run down in the 1.2 up to 1.8 range. I also rarely use cranks..... I like spoons.....in fact, I love spoons. The drum don't seem to be in one area quite yet, or a pattern to them at least. I have not tried as shallow as you this year, mostly been in the 35+ range, all the way to mid 80's. The steelies have all come in odd locations so far this year, basically suspended shallow over deeper water (yes, as expected). Our last one was on lead in 52 FOW, using a spoon and 3 color (figured 15-18 foot deep). My maiden voyage of the year was in Thompson bay area, so we were shallow, but was more of a shakedown run. An 11 pound drum is sweet ! That must have been a heck of a fight.  My normal spread is spoons with sliders on the riggers, two 5 color lead off the back chute, dipsey set usually on 2 or 3 off port and starboard side, and offshore boards up front off each side. I od have issues getting the boards back out if they take a fish. My spread is usually ran tight, just not enough room to sneak the board back out with a long leader length. This year a particular spoon, the Magnum, in "Steelie Dan" color has been hot for the steelies, and the drum and white bass seem to be favoring Mt. Dew and frog (basically greens). Nothing this year on purple so far. I keep my glow spoons for Ontario. Looks like the laker action is coming to a close.

That's good to know about preparing drum, thanks. I love the taste of walleye and perch and it might just be the way I cook them but I always feel like the meat is too "mushy" or flaky, at least for me. I'll try grilling drum sometime, do you have any good recipes to recommend?

I caught all of those Drum this year going about 1.4-2.0 mph but they'll really hit at anything, last year I caught one trolling in the channel at 4.6 mph! And it was a nice 12#r too. Spoons are definitely my favorite lure too, both for trolling and casting, they're just so versatile and appealing to really any predatory species. Were you already catching drum out in 80+ this time of year? Last year I didn't find any that deep until early July, where I caught one suspended 50' down over 120 FOW off of NE.

Oh yes, caught that 11 pounder flatlining a glo goby stinger on two colors of lead and it just tore off line, thought it snagged the bottom since we were in 8'! Last year my three biggest drum were 10#, 12#, and 14# so an 11# being the second fish this year is a great sign!

The one Steelhead I've caught so far this year was on a kevorkian stinger 60' down in 80 FOW in the trenches this past Friday. If I'm remembering correctly the 4# Drum I caught in 35 FOW came on the same spoon with the two shallower drum (11# and 5.5#) both coming on the glo goby stinger.

I know, it's so sad, Lakers are my favorite coldwater fish if not my overall favorites :(. Hopefully I'll pick a few up over the summer going for Steelhead east of the point. If not, then I'm looking forward to the Fall and early Winter Lakers in October, November, and December!
DipseyD
New Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/13 12:40:15 (permalink)
Divemaster,

I also want to agree with outasync.....Conneaut lake is a good pike lake if you can work around all the weekend warriors. North and south ends are a big weed bed, and the east and west banks have deeper weeds. We do good ice fishing for them come winter, but have caught some decent ones in the summer. I launch my boat at Fireman's beach because the FC launch is way too small and narrow. However, you will not find the weight and girt on them comparable to Erie. Most are hammer handles, but when they are biting it can be pretty good action.

The bay should be heating up with Pike action, Expecially in horseshoe pond and misery. Always did decent by the monument as well. We typically cast for them being the bay can get crowded. Ontario off the reef is always a good spot for pike, as well as up in Point Breeze. Usually can manage some steelies, lakers and the occasional salmon off each place as well.

Ever get up Ontario ? If you ever do.....you will probably come back every year.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Pike Fishing May & June 2016/06/13 12:45:59 (permalink)
DipseyD
Divemaster, I also want to agree with outasync.....Conneaut lake is a good pike lake if you can work around all the weekend warriors. North and south ends are a big weed bed, and the east and west banks have deeper weeds. We do good ice fishing for them come winter, but have caught some decent ones in the summer. I launch my boat at Fireman's beach because the FC launch is way too small and narrow. However, you will not find the weight and girt on them comparable to Erie. Most are hammer handles, but when they are biting it can be pretty good action. The bay should be heating up with Pike action, Expecially in horseshoe pond and misery. Always did decent by the monument as well. We typically cast for them being the bay can get crowded. Ontario off the reef is always a good spot for pike, as well as up in Point Breeze. Usually can manage some steelies, lakers and the occasional salmon off each place as well. Ever get up Ontario ? If you ever do.....you will probably come back every year.

I've got so many places I need to fish this October. Niagara Bar for Lakers, Chautauqua for Musky, and Conneaut for Pike! I'm hoping to get up to Lake 'O sometime this July or August for Lakers and hopefully Atlantic Salmon, and I'll probably try for some Chinooks, Cohos, and Steelies while there too.

Is there a channel at the entrance of horseshoe for larger boats to get in? We tried to take our 22' sea Ray in a couple weeks ago and hugged the right side because a bass boat was blocking almost the whole entrance >:|. Almost ran aground because it got so shallow! What're you casting for Pike in Misery?
post edited by Divemaster - 2016/06/13 12:47:36
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: