Anyone on the ice?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/22 23:11:09 (permalink)
Lovely. Deep creek it is.... Love it there
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/23 08:56:50 (permalink)
Was my buddy Matt you talked to BTDT. Wind was definitely pounding at times yesterday. Definitely looks like lousy ice making weather coming up around here. Hope the weather man's off, but probably not :( . Think I'm gonna give woodcock a look later today.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/23 09:31:48 (permalink)

Being a bit further to the north ya might find better conditions ice wise.  Snow, on the other hand, may be a PITA in that part of the Pennsylvania wilds.  However, thicker ice insulated with a good amount of snow just may survive a short term warm-up, if in fact that's the case.  Me, I got the Fish Hawk on reserve stand-by for the middle to late February and if I'm wrong, I'll be getting me a power auger.

Taking today off....... my azz hurts.

Be back to the 'public launch' at Tuttle tomorrow.

Good luck, inquiring minds, will be awaiting a good report from muup north.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1255
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/23 11:00:47 (permalink)
John,
  I may see you at tuttle tomorrow its my favorite area to fish been holding off going there because of lack of ice. I drive a green gmc canyon and I'm old fat guy with white beard if see me stop by ok.

Jarhead(Bill)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/23 12:07:21 (permalink)
You got it Ice Nut, I'll most likely hit the public launch area at the intersection of E. Lake and Fries Rd. to begin with, maybe move to the campground launch a bit latter.  I'll be the other old fat guy with a white beard but, I'll be wearing my authentic "Real Tree" insulated camo so, if ya see something looking like a brush pile somebody placed on the ice........ that will be me.

Just keep all that info under your hat, never know when a friend might come looking for me.   Ummm, ya might wanna dye your beard or something.(LMAO)

Good luck we'll be lookin for ya.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1255
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/24 18:52:57 (permalink)
John I left tuttle around 930 fishing was a complete zero ther so went to shenango and hammered the crappies and gill at golden run kept 25 crappies most nice size and some nice gills. Was disappointed in tuttle today.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/24 19:59:35 (permalink)
I ain't gettin it, everybody sayin it ain't normal to be like this at Pymie.   Nobody catching anything we know of today and there was 10 groups of guys off the Tuttle Camp Ground launch.

Ice sure did get nice since this past Friday, we were poking through 5 to 6" solid stuff all day.  I'd be willing to bet the ice just may survive for a few more days if the night temps, stay below freezing.  Sure was a lot of burping and popping  (twas music to me ears) under the ice today assuring, the lake is making ice.

I'm gonna try Jamestown tomorrow then try elsewhere if the ice stays good.  (I'm all ears hint... hint...)

I did get a power auger and I hope to use it til season end, I just need to convince outasync, drilling holes in ice....... is fun.  Ha haa, Outasync decided to try his hand at ice fishing for his first time and he joined me and my buddy Bill for a walk on the ice.

All in all, we enjoyed our time on the ice and plan to give it one more chance sometime tomorrow at Jamestown.

Congratulations on your catching Ice_Nut, sorry we missed ya at Tuttle and thanks for the heads-up.  I shall look forward to meeting up with ya another time, another place before we lose the ice.

Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/24 20:07:05 (permalink)
Wondering if the lake flipped?
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/24 20:30:04 (permalink)
I don't know Ed, I have not seen anybody fishing the Jamestown area and until today, have not seen but two other groups on the ice at Tuttle Point (I did not fish Sat.).    

Today, eight guys were leaving as we arrived and they reported not so much as a bite.  Another fella was just walkin the ice and he said everyone he had spoken with was still waiting for the bite to begin.

Maybe just too early for Pymie to turn on and with the weather being a factor for the life of the ice , may not.

As I said earlier, the ice looked really good and the lake was popping, plenty of expansion cracks and the ice is clear with a crusty covering of patchy snow.

Conditions are ideal for hauling the shed and gear on a sled.  

Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/25 17:59:41 (permalink)
Unfortunately
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/25 19:29:44 (permalink)
Just returned from Pymie at Jamestown, where I fished along with two friends, out from the old marina.  Ice was much softer compared to the north end and required little effort to drill a 7" hole thou, it's 4 to 5" thick.  

Glad the ice was softer as the "power auger" seemed to quit just as the other two guys got their holes drilled and, they began fishing.

We fished water 8' to 28' ft deep and I think I may have gotten a couple bites jigging meal worms on a jig in 10 FOW.  Not positive but that, springy thingy bobber on my 'el cheapo' ice rod indicated something may be harassing the bait impaled by my hook.  How exciting is that, 5 days of ice fishing Pymatuning and I finally got a bite...... maybe.  

You can bet I marked the spot so, should the ice hold out, I may return and give it another try.  Sorry, there will be no spot burning during this thread.

Even though the power auger went on strike (I think the result of bad gas), we drilled holes here, there, out yonder, over yonder, up yonder and, back yonder to, no avail.  Yinz will have no problem locating the general area where we set up.  Just look for the location where the ice resembles  Swiss cheese.

There was several other groups fishing the area with three huts sitting mid lake towards Snodgrass and one individual on the other side from our location.  Don't know if those fellas were successful but I know as far as my group, the other two guyz are talking about fishing with somebody that may know what the hell he is doing.

Rain maybe tonight and tomorrow, but the temps, look to be below freezing Wed. and Thurs and that will hopefully lend to some ice fishing at Shenango.............  Stupid Pymie fish!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/01/26 03:26:54

Bare
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/01/26 16:15:08 (permalink)
@ Glendale lake
Saw a few guys out Monday after the big snow.( 7 inches ) Ice looked froze almost everywhere. Don't know how thick .
It warmed up the last two days near 40F deg.

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/02/01 10:03:40 (permalink)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkhN19U4u4

Made the trip up to Presque Isle this weekend, had a blast

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Bare
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/02/05 16:13:55 (permalink)
@Glendale Lake
Ice does not look good. Open at the causeway. Ice looks pithy. No one on it this morning. It looks thin along the edges. Day temps near 40 deg. F. night temps 30 to 20 deg. F. Could be cooler next week.

Accountant
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
Re: Anyone on the ice? 2016/02/22 08:42:18 (permalink)
I went for a hike yesterday at Yellow Creek and there were ice fisherman near the boy scout camp and near the day use area.  Note that I did not fish and did not go near the ice.  
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: