Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
  • Reward points: 0
2016/01/28 23:55:49 (permalink)

Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ?

I remember a few years back they had caught a Piranha in Pymatuning Lake ! Probably tossed in by someone who had a fish tank but it was caught by a local fisherman.

I caught a small Trout out of lake Erie years ago that had a plastic ring around it's entire middle body. The ring looked to have been on for some time it was distorting the fish's body shape. I swear when I cut it off that fish said ahhhhhh that feels better.

80 Replies Related Threads

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/29 12:30:35 (permalink)
    I've got a few fish stories.

-A few years ago I was fishing in a delayed harvest section of my local creek and caught an ~8" Largemouth Bass which is itself a rare species for this creek but even more weird was that it had a horizontal yellow stripe instead of a black one. Very odd and I've never see a bass like that since then.

-Not fishing but while scuba diving I'm Summerville Lake in WV, I encountered a ~16" melanistic smallmouth bass that was entirely jet black that followed me around the dive for about 10 minutes.

-While trolling in Erie last July, I was bringing up a cannonball with the lure still on the clip from 100' down in 133 FOW of off Northeast and I saw a fish twirling off of the spoon about 60 feet back. I unclipped the spoon and reeled the fish in thinking another big yellow perch with eyes too before its stomach, but soon realized we were too deep to catch them on anything, trolling or otherwise. I brought in the fish and sure enough it was a 20" 5# Chinook Salmon. No fight whatsoever so it must have been dragged around for a while and the dang clip didn't work right. Sure did taste good, though!

-A few years ago on 4th of July weekend we were drift fishing in PIB at night while watching the downtown fireworks. I hooked in to something big and eventually it came to the surface next to the boat and it looked around 26-30". To me it looked like a Walleye as it was the traditional greenish yellow color that bay 'eyes have but I swear I saw a barbel or two on it. My dad said it was a channel catfish but the mouth shape looked too predatory and the color was off. Sure enough, the fish broke the 6 pound test I was using at the time and swam away before we could boat it. Maybe it was a Burbot? But I highly doubt such a cold water fish would still be in the bay during the heat of summer in 77° water.

-Fishing in marina lake spring 2014 at the lagoons entrance. We were catching sunfish, small perch, and the occasional largemouth. Suddenly, I see a slow moving head poke out of the surface to the left side of the entrance with about a 12' wake from its large body behind it. At the right side were several adult and juvenile ducks. The head submerged and the wake disappears for about 5 minutes. Then, a huge splash and one of the ducks is dragged under, never coming back up. 3 minutes later, another duck goes under before all that were left finally fly away. Keep in mind, this splash had the size and noise of somebody throwing a bowling ball directly down at the water. To this day I have no idea what it was and the combination of that, stepping on the spine of a bullhead, and almost getting bitten by a water snake are why I limit myself to only swimming, snorkeling, and diving in the main lake now.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/29 12:48:02 (permalink)
    Blue fishing in New Haven Ct harbor a number of years back with a friend on his boat.
    Waters in that spot  only a few feet deep and we were using surface poppers.
    Suddenly he said  he saw a large head looking at us a few yards from the boat- I looked where he pointed, it was gone but a swirl was there.
    Said it must have been a fish jumping but he was adamant that it was a big head and he saw eyes looking at us.
    Hmmmmmmm--
     A few minutes later we both saw it a bit further out-- it  stayed up for a few minutes- seemed to look at us for a while.
    Unsure what it was we moved away from that area to fish not wanting to snag it accidentally.
    Weeks later the Ct Dep reported a Manatee had been in the harbor.
    They had kept quiet about it not wanting folks to run all over looking and possibly cut it with props in the low waters where it hung around.
    Manatees normally never get this far north but this one had reportedly  made the trip a few Summers.
    Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/29 13:38:55 (permalink)
    This is probably the weirdest thing I've pulled out of Presque Isle Bay, which is saying something.

P.I. is a prehistoric playground, full of ancient fish, but if you think gar and bowfin are old, check this guy out-- Unchanged since the Cambrian period--500,000,000 years ago.  Actually, I should say "these guys." It's a colony of zooids called a Pectinatella magnifica, a freshwater bryozoan. Each rosette contains 10-18 zooids and each zooid has whorls of microscopic tentacles that they use to catch food in the water. Inside is a translucent jelly. This one was a little bigger than my hand, but they can get up to 2 feet!

Ended up on my hook while jigging underwater brush. Was hesitant to touch it, but they don't sting. Very lightweight and float through the water with ease.  

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/29 18:14:48 (permalink)
    Maynard.G.Crabs
    This is probably the weirdest thing I've pulled out of Presque Isle Bay, which is saying something. P.I. is a prehistoric playground, full of ancient fish, but if you think gar and bowfin are old, check this guy out-- Unchanged since the Cambrian period--500,000,000 years ago.  Actually, I should say "these guys." It's a colony of zooids called a Pectinatella magnifica, a freshwater bryozoan. Each rosette contains 10-18 zooids and each zooid has whorls of microscopic tentacles that they use to catch food in the water. Inside is a translucent jelly. This one was a little bigger than my hand, but they can get up to 2 feet! Ended up on my hook while jigging underwater brush. Was hesitant to touch it, but they don't sting. Very lightweight and float through the water with ease.     

Now that's one cool catch! I'd have been tempted to take it home for one of my tanks haha.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/29 22:05:33 (permalink)
    I've seen bryozoa at a few local lakes. Arthur and loyalhanna for sure. I have a few weird fish pics that im sure I've posted before, but photobucket is down for maintenance . Ill try and put them up later.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/29 23:02:54 (permalink)
    Same here FishinGuy, the stuff is pretty much common in all the area lakes, the history of Bryozoa (a/k/a. Moss animals) is amazing to say the least.

As for the Captain's inquiry; I'd have to say any pictures of me, holding any fish, is odd and rare. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/30 06:23:31 (permalink)
    Although not quite exotic, a couple of years ago at Elk Creek I got a few of those Humpback (I don't know what the correct name is ) Salmonoids that showed up at Erie. It was different for sure. I threw it back, but was sure that no one would believe me until until more showed up. Now, this was before the internet & I never carried a camera. Was kinda pretty I thought.  sam
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/30 07:23:00 (permalink)
    Mooneye? big tiger, 22" hybrid vigor! mutant hungry Lil guy saw these two goldfish (not koi) the next year in the same area jitterbug channel cat for size reference, I can palm a basketball.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/30 10:00:44 (permalink)
    Speaking of hungry guys !

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/30 16:29:57 (permalink)
    mr.crappie
    Although not quite exotic, a couple of years ago at Elk Creek I got a few of those Humpback (I don't know what the correct name is ) Salmonoids that showed up at Erie. It was different for sure. I threw it back, but was sure that no one would believe me until until more showed up. Now, this was before the internet & I never carried a camera. Was kinda pretty I thought.  sam

Are you referring to Pink Salmon ("Humpies")? They're rare but present, very cool salmonids. There was a really nice ~24" male in trout run back in October, thing was trying to spawn with steelhead.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/01/30 16:55:54 (permalink)

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/02 16:49:36 (permalink)
    Funny pictures, Captain.  I find a few deceased gluttons like this every Spring:

Talk about biting off more than you can chew!

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/02 20:33:49 (permalink)
    Amazing what you see sometimes. I found a huge Walleye dead up at Pymatuning on the shore years ago same situation . Had a big Yellow Perch jammed in it's mouth .

Mr. Crappie , every now and then you hear a few Pink Salmon caught in the Erie Tribs over the years. I think Michigan might of or did stock them, maybe Canada too.  
    post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2016/02/02 20:41:26
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/02 22:28:58 (permalink)
    I caught a water snake as a kid fishing in a pond" unintended " big one to my dad was not happy lol ,and caught a snapping turtle on a rubber worm bass fishing caught a baby pike in a muskrat trap trapping few years back he was realised unharmed lol I felt bad for the lil guy but he pulled through OK tho iv seen some really deformed pellet heads over the years

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/04 22:57:34 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Amazing what you see sometimes. I found a huge Walleye dead up at Pymatuning on the shore years ago same situation . Had a big Yellow Perch jammed in it's mouth . Mr. Crappie , every now and then you hear a few Pink Salmon caught in the Erie Tribs over the years. I think Michigan might of or did stock them, maybe Canada too.  

They escaped from a hatchery on Lake Superior in Canada (I want to say Thunder Bay Area). The hatchery was originally farming them for a Hudson Bay stocking program which wound up failing miserably. So, they had a few thousand young fish left at the hatchery right on a north shore trib and thought that they couldn't survive or reproduce in superior's conditions so they drained the fry down in to the tribs. A few years later and adults are spawning in tribs quite successfully. Eventually find their way to the south shore of superior, then down to Lake Huron, and from there both Michigan and Erie and ultimately Ontario too. I'd say they're most abundant by far in Lake Superior now though with Huron coming in at second best fishery for them in the Great Lakes.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/04 23:30:31 (permalink)
    captain,yes it was a few years back,I think it was when they still stocked Cohos & kings but few Steelhead in the Erie tribs. I actually seen a few but only caught 1 or 2 if my memory serves. It seems like they only spawned every other year or only came in every few years.There was very little info back then & there was no web as we know it now to spread the info. IMO Those were the good ole days.  sam
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/05 11:34:32 (permalink)

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/05 13:13:42 (permalink)
    So that's what a burbot looks like...
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/05 13:13:48 (permalink)
    That is one ugly fish ! Looks like half bat ! I'd cut the line on that one ! LOL     ?
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/05 13:35:21 (permalink)
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    That is one ugly fish ! Looks like half bat ! I'd cut the line on that one ! LOL     ?

That actually does look to be some species of Batfish with the fin structure it has.
    Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/08 12:13:28 (permalink)
    Have caught (and released, of course) a number of PA endangered species over the years, including Spotted Gar. No shortage of them in P.I. Bay.

Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/08 12:17:06 (permalink)
    Here's a Warmouth.  These are a rare catch in the bay.

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/08 12:31:39 (permalink)
    Some great catches there, Maynard! I'm hoping to get in to some gar from boat this season. If you want a really good spot for Warmouth, shoot me a PM, I've got a great spot in the bay, lots of 8-14" fish.
    Dan Morey
    Novice Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/08 13:10:16 (permalink)
    Yup, Dive. If you fish those spots we talked about before, you'll definitely get into some gar, Longnose and Spotted.

As for the 14 inch Warmouth...PM on the way!
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/08 13:30:00 (permalink)
    Never caught big Warmouths but lots of smaller ones. Hartstown Swamp is fairly loaded with them. Never knew what they were years ago thought they were just a cross of Bluegill / Rockbass. Good picture !
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/09 14:31:09 (permalink)
    Nice Gar photos...different. I posted this a few times just can't believe what did this ? My buddy caught and released this Elk Creek Steelhead and about two weeks later I caught the same fish a mile or so upstream ! Sad photo ............

Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/09 15:46:44 (permalink)
    Wow, that looks like a prop wound, fresh and deep too. Did you get the two weeks later catch on film? I'm wondering how much it had healed in two weeks.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/09 16:25:46 (permalink)
    Not my pic or fish, fantail steelhead.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Any photos or stories about rare or odd looking fresh water fish caught ? 2016/02/09 17:13:26 (permalink)
    Someone posted a fantail Steelie a few years ago from Erie might be the same fish. Wild looking thing. Big Steve that Steelie looked about the same two weeks later. Took off fine after releasing it again. Doubt that it faired well, but who knows .
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: