Lagoons in late November??

Author
fishermanmurph
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
2015/11/18 14:14:39 (permalink)

Lagoons in late November??

I know a lot of you guys are steelhead fishing but I may take my smaller kayak out while visiting Erie over Thanksgiving and am wondering if the Lagoons is worth it this time of year? (crappie, perch, bass??). I'm also thinking Marina Lake but I like the smallness of the Lagoons and more wind protection. I normally don't mind  exploring but with such limited time due to family holiday stuff, like to try and narrow down where I should go. 

16 Replies Related Threads

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/18 19:32:38 (permalink)
    This time of year, you should probably be able to get in to some pike in the lagoons. Probably some bass as well, but it may be a bit cold for panfish. Good luck wherever you fish!
    fishermanmurph
    New Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/19 06:37:10 (permalink)
    Cool, thanks for the response. I did not think of pike being in there, I got a bunch of "hammer handle" pike in there over the summer, need to cast for them with husky jerks and spinner baits also and see if the bigger ones are in. 

Almost tempted to take the "big" kayak with me, now with the forecast looking so good. Of course, one of those days is Thanksgiving and I'll only have a few hours to fish thanks to something called Thanksgiving dinner. 
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/19 07:14:18 (permalink)
    fishermanmurph
    Cool, thanks for the response. I did not think of pike being in there, I got a bunch of "hammer handle" pike in there over the summer, need to cast for them with husky jerks and spinner baits also and see if the bigger ones are in.  Almost tempted to take the "big" kayak with me, now with the forecast looking so good. Of course, one of those days is Thanksgiving and I'll only have a few hours to fish thanks to something called Thanksgiving dinner. 

The ones in the lagoons are mainly hammer handles but I've seen a few 36"+ fish swimming around in some of the deeper parts. If you're looking for monsters, I'd try out in misery bay or the main bay, might be a bit deep for kayak fishing (or windy depending on the weather) but there's some big fish out there.
    fishermanmurph
    New Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/19 08:45:55 (permalink)
    I could do Misery Bay (wind speed and direction pending) but with the smaller kayak, I normally don't fish the main bay (the bigger kayak in my profile pic, I'll easily take that out there assuming it's not super windy). I did pretty poorly out in Misery Bay this past summer, could be because I went out there in the afternoon when recreational paddlers took over the Lagoons, I'm not too worry about recreational paddlers this time of year, though. Deepness does not bother me since I have my life vest on and other cold water gear. 
    fishermanmurph
    New Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/19 12:10:46 (permalink)
    walcat
    When you come down the hill to PI you see the cat tails on the left at the head of the bay. There are some in there that look like subs. Big white spinner baits!! Wire leader, 15 lb test line or fire line, heavy duty outfit and hold on!! Back in my younger days used to go in there in my canoe. Got some monsters!!! I hope it is still the same now.

I fished that area around Labor Day, got some really nice bass from there. I plan on hitting that up more often. There were a couple of other nice areas around there also that I found on my fish finder where I pulled up some nice bass. Why I keep fishing whenever I visit, the fishing is so much better. 
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/19 12:55:09 (permalink)
    fishermanmurph
    walcatWhen you come down the hill to PI you see the cat tails on the left at the head of the bay. There are some in there that look like subs. Big white spinner baits!! Wire leader, 15 lb test line or fire line, heavy duty outfit and hold on!! Back in my younger days used to go in there in my canoe. Got some monsters!!! I hope it is still the same now.

I fished that area around Labor Day, got some really nice bass from there. I plan on hitting that up more often. There were a couple of other nice areas around there also that I found on my fish finder where I pulled up some nice bass. Why I keep fishing whenever I visit, the fishing is so much better. 

How deep is it up in there? Could I fit my 22' cruiser in? Actually not kidding though, we've taken it in to 18" of water in graveyard pond haha.
    fishermanmurph
    New Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/19 13:43:22 (permalink)
    I think he maybe talking the head of the main bay going by his description (walcat, feel free to correct me). I saw 8ft+ deep water there. Did get pretty shallow but there are some nice deep weed lines in there where I was getting the bass. 

Hahaha, that's crazy getting a big boat in water that shallow. I do that all the time with the yak, why I love it so much. Quietly sneak in and get some big fish. 

Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/19 14:31:56 (permalink)
    fishermanmurph
    I think he maybe talking the head of the main bay going by his description (walcat, feel free to correct me). I saw 8ft+ deep water there. Did get pretty shallow but there are some nice deep weed lines in there where I was getting the bass.  Hahaha, that's crazy getting a big boat in water that shallow. I do that all the time with the yak, why I love it so much. Quietly sneak in and get some big fish.   

Wow, didn't think it was that deep! Yeah, not sure if we're exactly sneaking in my boat but we can definitely get it super shallow! Always cool when the fish finder switches from 10 feet intervals in 130 FOW in the main lake to 0.1 feet intervals in the lagoon haha.
    fishermanmurph
    New Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/20 08:25:24 (permalink)
    Darn it, just remembered that the Erie Runners Club takes over the park for the "Turkey Tout", really don't wanna get caught in that mess. Guess it'll be a small inland water body I know of on Thanksgiving or somewhere on the city side of the bay if the wind allows. I'll fish the park on Black Friday. 
    post edited by fishermanmurph - 2015/11/20 08:32:26
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/20 08:47:59 (permalink)
    fishermanmurph
    Darn it, just remembered that the Erie Runners Club takes over the park for the "Turkey Tout", really don't wanna get caught in that mess. Guess it'll be a small inland water body I know of on Thanksgiving or somewhere on the city side of the bay if the wind allows. I'll fish the park on Black Friday. 

Depending on wind, you could always try one of the trib mouths for steelhead and brown trout. Eli creek's mouth would be perfect for a kayak with how large it is.
    fishermanmurph
    New Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/20 08:52:24 (permalink)
    Divemaster
    fishermanmurph

Depending on wind, you could always try one of the trib mouths for steelhead and brown trout. Eli creek's mouth would be perfect for a kayak with how large it is.

I've been thinking about that also. I'll love to tangle with a steelhead from the kayak. I'm gonna keep that option open if the wind decides to play nice. 
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/20 16:02:12 (permalink)
    If you're thining about the head of the bay, you can park at the Mercyhurst docks. Or at least you used to be able to park/launch there. Maybe someone with updated info will comment.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

fishermanmurph
    New Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/21 09:49:44 (permalink)
    Chris Johnson
    If you're thining about the head of the bay, you can park at the Mercyhurst docks. Or at least you used to be able to park/launch there. Maybe someone with updated info will comment.

Where about are those docks?? I know there use to be access at this water treatment place or something (?) (that place near Scott Park, I'm told they closed it down to the public since 9/11. The docks still look to be in). I don't think I'll be fishing the big bay next week with the wind forecast (15-25mph) but I do wanna fish it more from the kayak next summer. Think next week will just be a small inland water body and the lagoons unless they cut down on the wind. May get skunk or get some big fish. All I know is, it'll be nice to get a break from the family while I'm up there.  

Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/21 10:28:47 (permalink)
    They are located at the bottom of Sommerheim Dr. It is the where Mercyhurst Crew launches, stores boats, etc. It may now be closed to the public.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

FredT
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/28 10:44:23 (permalink)
    Stay back from the duck hunters. They get mighty ticked off when fishermen get within Their "zone"

fishermanmurph
    New Angler
    Re: Lagoons in late November?? 2015/11/30 08:33:36 (permalink)
    FredT
    Stay back from the duck hunters. They get mighty ticked off when fishermen get within Their "zone"

Yea, my favorite lake down here gets them, I know where they hunt so I just avoid that area till they leave. Thankfully, duck season down here is done till January. 

I sadly did not make it out last week, way too windy on the days I was able to head out. 
    Jump to: