Helpful ReplyPYMATUNING FISHING REPORT

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 72
Author
marco
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 171
  • Reward points: 0
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/25 13:28:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/11/25 13:52:12
btdt,  I was one of the guys on the dock....5 other guys w me...stayed till 5...I caught seven craps..nice size...on guy caught zip..one guy caught 10 or 12 ond 1 eye....don't know about the others...we saw you out there I think...we said who was that guy out there all day catching nothing?...was that you?
marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/25 16:30:12 (permalink)
to all the guys I have met on here..joking aside ...wish you all a great thanksgiving and many great fish stories in the future!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/25 18:22:21 (permalink)
Today was a drop dead gorgeous day on Pymatuning Reservoir.  I arrived at 12:10 pm and was pleasantly surprised to see several vehicles, with trailers, parked in the lot.  I didn't say a word but, got straight to work and, down the ramp I went.

Didn't have to go far when I started marking fish,got out my rods and, made a couple of throws.

Sky was clear and the sun was brite, wind was out of the SSE and making a perfect Walleye Chop.

As evening grew near with the sky still clear I knew a full moon would soon be here.

But this being the eve of a special holiday, I thought it best to give it a rest and, try again this coming Saturday.

So with that, may I say, to all my new found friends;  HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

PS.  You too Walcat.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/25 18:32:59 (permalink)
Now Walcat ...........   Check out these trophies I got tonight............. 

No biggies tonight................ Have a nice Turkey Day all !

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/11/25 18:35:20
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/29 09:26:01 (permalink)
I do hope everyone (yeah.. including Walcat) had a happy and safe Thanksgiving.  Myself, I had a wonderful holiday with having my son, daughter and, families 'muppere' from the 'Burgh'.  The best part, I got to have two (as in 2) holiday dinners that included pumpkin pie, pumpkin roll, cookies and, apple pie.

Even better, back to my exercise routine to work off all the extra calories.  Yep..... "believe it or not" I have a training, regimen that includes but, not limited to; bending, stretching, leg and, arm exercises, etc, etc, etc.

I'll begin this morning with walking [to the garage]; back stretches and knee bends [hooking the boat]; full range motions of neck, arms and, legs [driving to the lake]; a second rep of back and leg bends [launching the boat]; additional walking [parking lot to the dock] then, conclude my morning program with lifting weights [1/4-1/2 oz Sonars].  Just to go and show how I believe in physical fitness, by days end I shall repeat the process [in reverse order].

Now, if you'll excuse me, I must begin my routine with warm-ups [packing food and drink] in preparation of "Gone Fishin".

Film at eleven.................  I hope!!

PS. To prevent pain approx. one foot below my lumbar I shall do my best to ignore 'u-kno-who'.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/29 19:40:46 (permalink)

OH Yoooooooooou.................    WHO! 

I got your pictures..........

Hows This?

And This

Or This????

So There!!!!  

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/29 20:15:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/11/30 09:06:46
Got on the water just after noon today, light wind out of the North and temp hovering around 38`F.  Two other vehicles with trailers in the parking area and several people fishing from the Marina docks.  

Made several passes across the lake at the dam with no success than, fished the points off of the islands.  Tried Sonars and Bucktails, catching a few Crappie with the Sonars.  Fished the area til dark then moved to the Marina to try my luck jigging for Crappie only to find the wind blowing a bit too strong to try fishing with ultra light in no light.  Tossed a few 1/16 ounce jigs around the launch area but again, not easy and no luck.

Put the Fish Hawk back on her bunks at 6:00 pm with a light north wind blowing and the air temp hovering at 32`F.  Parking area was empty and no one  remained on the Marina docks.

Are the Walleye biting.............  dam'ed if I know!           But, I enjoyed every minute on the water.

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1156
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/30 18:09:50 (permalink)
That eye you've got BTDT is a good 7-8" over the ones I've gotten lately :). Waded the south end Wednesday evening. One good hit at sundown that I somehow managed to miss. Convinced me to stay another hour, with no more action. Probably give it another shot this week.
post edited by CRAPPIE_SLAYER - 2015/11/30 18:10:58
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/30 18:41:18 (permalink)
Sat. Sun. and, Mon. looking to be shaping up for trips back to the lake.  One if not two of those days I'm targeting the crappie for sure.  I'm thinking two rods with small fatheads below slip bobbers and one rod with jigs and tubes.    

Not long ago I fished with a guy that did pretty darn good catching nice Crappie fishing three rods using slip bobbers on, Shenango.  Of course I had to keep the White Bass chasing jigs and away from his live bait.  Dude did well and, he was funny as heck to watch, trying to figure out which rod was connected to the slip bobber that just submerged.  Looking forward to some fishing in the spring, if he get's his boat put back together.

I'm not seeing any real Walleye catching reports and the scuttlebutt is, the water temp.s are not yet cold enough for a good run of 'eyes.

Good luck if ya get out again Crappie_Slayer, if you make it on the water this weekend, look for the Fish Hawk.  Stop over and say hey or,  bellar from shore and I'll stop and say hey.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/11/30 21:44:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/01 08:39:57
OMG ya gotta check this dude out................  Best be sitting down and forget about the eyeglasses and earrings, watch what he does.

https://youtu.be/p8j0hNMsQtI?t=2 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/06 20:55:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/07 08:53:51
HI.......................          

Got on the water just before sun-up (as in straight-up) ready to target Crappie.  I didn't dilly dally around, headed straight to where I located the fish the last time I was on the lake.  Rigged one rod with a slip bobber, a second rod with a fixed bobber and, a third rod with, a no bobber.    Small Fat Heads were the bait of choice which I was very lucky to purchase at Richters Grocery, located just before the Jamestown Park Entrance.  I say I was lucky because the salesperson had to search hard to get what was left in his tank.   He says the bait suppliers are reluctant to deliver when just a store or two places a order.  I can appreciate that seeing how the sissy's have put their boats to bed and nobody is buying bait.  However, should you wish to fish using Fat Heads, you might want to call ahead to check for availability. 

In addition to the ultra light rigs, two MHF rods were rigged, one with a Johnson Blade Bait and the other with a Sinking Rattling Rap.

I began by presenting live bait on two ultra light rigs set at different depths under the bobbers, followed by jigging a 1/16 oz jig rigged with a tube body or switching between the two MHF rods.  Just a hint of a breeze from the south made for an excellent drift but, something didn't seem right, something was missing.  Continued fishing the live bait, changing the depth under the bobbers every now and then  as well as bouncing one of the jigging lures off the bottom.  

Boat control wasn't difficult as I would use the motor to slowly back troll to to a new location and let the light south wind drift me back.

Eventually, I laid the jigging rods aside, poured a cup of hot chocolate and munched on some peanut butter and crackers, still trying to remember something I should be doing while fishing for Crappie and Walleye.  Meanwhile, I continued to adjust the bobbers, changed tube bodies, use different methods of jigging and munch peanut butter crackers.

A couple of hours has now passed, I've covered shallow water, deep water and, all kinds of bottom structure and still wondering what doesn't seem right about today's fishing.

Still perplexed, I opened a second thermos and poured a cup of hot vegetable soup than, grabbed two ham sandwiches (imagine that, ham, not baloney) a second cup of hot chocolate and kicked back for a Pymie Picnic.   Bobbers were still in the water and I'm saving money, I'm still using the first two Fat Heads I started with.

Finished my picnic, tidied up and, put all my trash in a bag when it dawned on me, there's no beeps!  You know the beeps your fish locator makes when it detects fish?  Well my fish locator is not beeping, nor is there, those little fishy pictures popping up on the screen.

I've just spent the last 3+ hours  fishing where there's no fishy pictures, WTH.. they were here the last time I was but, not now??  What's up with that?

Well I didn't want to look foolish and be caught red faced so, I moved slowly past the other six boats fishing further up the lake when, I started seeing fishy pix and hearing beeps on my locator where I did land a Small Mouth bass and a dink Walleye using a blade bait.

Didn't catch any Crappie but, something good came about, because of that.  I still have 22 Fat Heads I can use when I do it all over again tomorrow.

Of course, catching makes fishing all the more funner but, scenes like these make for some wonderful memories and, I got to see them.

Tight lines to those who still seek..............

marco
Avid Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/06 21:36:07 (permalink)
lmao..goin call my engineer friend to explain  to me how you were fishing!  but it does sound like a good strategy..i think!!...great pics!!!....hope to be there soon!
roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/07 10:49:56 (permalink)
Stupid question time:
Is it legal to fish the docks at the marina in Espyville, like some of the guys here fish the docks at Jamestown?

Another stupid question.
Do you think the fish that are around the docks are resident there year round or do they migrate into the shallow bays (docks areas) prior to ice up in the winter and before moving out to deeper water. if they are resident year round do the dock areas get "fished out" after awhile?  Then more fish come in in the spring?

Third stupid question: Would a flasher like some use for ice fishing work to locate the fish under the docks or would the dock supports get in the way and cause the flasher to light up from top to bottom?

Thanks.
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1253
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/07 13:48:23 (permalink)
BTDT,
  I have to meet you your posts really crack me up wife and I enjoy reading them We gota fish together sometime ok!!
registered
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 78
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/07 15:25:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/07 15:42:06

roygpa
Stupid question time:
Is it legal to fish the docks at the marina in Espyville, like some of the guys here fish the docks at Jamestown?

Another stupid question.
Do you think the fish that are around the docks are resident there year round or do they migrate into the shallow bays (docks areas) prior to ice up in the winter and before moving out to deeper water. if they are resident year round do the dock areas get "fished out" after awhile?  Then more fish come in in the spring?

Third stupid question: Would a flasher like some use for ice fishing work to locate the fish under the docks or would the dock supports get in the way and cause the flasher to light up from top to bottom?

Thanks.

Roy,
Here's a stupid answer to your first question.
Not sure but I don't think you can fish from the docks.
BTDT and I fished the marina area from his boat a few months / weeks ago.
There was a sign up about not fishing but I can't remember if it was no fishing from the docks or no fishing from boats docked in the marina?
We fished around the docks from BTDT's boat and didn't catch anything.
I've had some luck fishing for perch from the break wall.

Here's a stupid answer to your second question.
Fish move depending on any number of factors. Docks can provide shade and structure and game fish will frequent them as long as there are bait fish around and the water is deep enough not to freeze.

Here's a stupid answer to your third question.
I never thought about using a flasher under a dock. Might be a great idea. If you have some luck with it let us know.

Good luck, hopefully, BTDT has a better memory and will remember what the sign at the marina says.

rob
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/07 16:04:13 (permalink)
registeredhopefully, BTDT has a better memory and will remember what the sign at the marina says

I read this part, then I had a good LOL.  

I can tell you that in the past Lake Arthur was very seriously about their no fishing around docks signage.  But recently I'm not sure they still care.  The only warden I've seen in three years drives down in his Cherokee and glances at all the chuckleheads crowding the Bear Run launch CLEARLY violating the 100' no fishing rule and just drives off.  Not sure if he ever gets out of his car.  
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/07 18:57:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/08 08:52:46
HEY ............!!  No spot burning and, what sign????

Paging; Zelie Sam,  Paging...... Mr.  Zeilie  Sam,  Message for, Mr. Sam......                           

Ice Nut thank-you for the flowers and, I should like to make your acquaintance someday soon.  I'm certain, if you speak to the right people they will tell you I am not the type of person that, some of my so called friends, make me out to be.  Problem is, it may be difficult, finding those right people.

And now my friends, today's fishing report, I didn't go so,  stick that in your bean pipe and smoke it!!

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/12/07 19:03:25

chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/07 19:48:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/08 08:53:13
Real good day crappie fishing the Jamestown area. Fished brush in 16ft using a small jig tipped with a nibble. Caught over 70 fish from 4 spots. Kept a few nice perch too along with around 30 crappies. Also released 3 nice small mouths. On the water by 10am and off by 4 pm.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/07 19:58:52 (permalink)

NOW stop that......... (lol)

Congratulations Chauncy, that's a nice batch of crappie.  
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/12/07 20:21:15

chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/09 15:38:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/10 09:31:01
Tough wind today but still managed to put 20 crappies in the live well. That wind was cold too. Didn't stay long. Three hours and I was whipped. Hope to get out a few more times before this weather changes.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/10 10:06:47 (permalink)
Anyone fishing the docks at Jamestown lately? Ive got to do something soon. Has the water level come up?
Pachuckles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/10 16:04:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/11 10:35:50
Yes we've been fishing the docks since Nov.1st .... was there today. They're catching Crappies on jigs and minnows

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/10 17:40:12 (permalink)
Thanks any perch?
Pachuckles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/11 19:18:02 (permalink)
Lots of "bait stealers."  I've only kept one 12" since Nov.1st.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
ICE NUT
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1253
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/12 21:03:58 (permalink)
I got  a half dozen keeper perch and a few gills today it was kinda slow though
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/13 21:04:20 (permalink)
65° in the middle of December.....couldn't resist getting the boat out one more time. Went out of Jamestown 13-18 fow. Didn't get there till 3:30, but managed to find a few fish. 3 decent crappie, 1 fat perch, and a few small ones. Sun went down and the bite shutdown.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/13 23:00:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/14 09:08:04
Dang Crappie-Slayer wished I'd knowd ya was there, would a been a pleasure to make your acquaintance. 

I got on the water around 11:30, would of been a bit earlier but somebody, removed the docks at Snodgrass.  So, off to Jamestown to launch and then boater moat back to Snodgrass where, I caught absolutely nothing.  So, off to Jamestown where I boater moated around and caught absolutely nothing.

As always, still a good day on the water where I enjoyed a Pymie picnic consisting of two ham samidges, one ham and cheese sanmidge, a can of Campbell's [mmm mmm, good] Tomato soup, and a thermos of N-E-S-T-L-E-S Nestles is the very best, hot chocolate. 

Wed. looking to be, maybe, my next day to boater moat around Pymatuning.

chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/14 09:08:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby roygpa 2015/12/14 10:45:04
BTDT, you just missed me. I left around that time. I sat out in front of the point for a half hour catching small crappies and gills before I headed home to watch the Steelers play. Had a good day tho. Put quite a few good ones in the box.
roygpa
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/14 09:16:52 (permalink)
Wish this forum had an "Entertaining" button along with the "Helpful" button. BTDT would get the Entertainer of the Forum award from me. :)
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Pro Angler
Re: PYMATUNING FISHING REPORT 2015/12/14 09:39:18 (permalink)
Looking at the forecast I might try to get back out there Wednesday afternoon as well BTDT. Maybe I'll catch you down there. Good luck.
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 14 of 72
Jump to: