AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..111112113114115.. > >> Showing page 114 of 199
Author
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/24 10:27:14 (permalink)
hot tuna
Ice is nice

IN a Manhatten!
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/24 10:54:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Clint S 2015/11/24 17:41:36
21 degrees, sunny and still as can be in the woods today.
Was  in the woods for no more than a half hour this AM- Saw a Doe and yearling and this time I DID NOT flinch on an 8.
A different 8, but none the less an 8, bout 3 1/2 yrs.
Can see why the State gives so many tags  in this overpopulated area.
Heck--- my permit is only for 21 private acres and its loaded with Deer.
Have yet to hear a shot-except out on the nearby Sound for migratory birds-  in this, hard to get a permit, area.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/11/24 14:15:44
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/25 18:59:07 (permalink)
Since this is by far the most informal , viewed and informative thread, I'm wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving..
I hope the weather, festivities , fish and family are smiling tomorrow :)
Thanks so much for being able to share your adventures and waters with some fool like myself.. In all my years on this site , EVERYONE  I have met have been an absolute pleasure .. Those I have not are visions of the future that I wish to share..  The families as well deserve thanks.. Crazy people we are, they put up and even join in the fray.. ALL good folks , even those spending time in Ohio :)  
Enjoy your day tomorrow
Now go kick some AZZ on them fish Clint and 3 man
Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/25 22:36:48 (permalink)
Ditto!

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 09:57:27 (permalink)
I'll third that Tuna!
Yep I'm in Ohio and will be starting my Steel adventures on Monday, which is the first day of rifle for deer in Penna.,I hope that most are out chasing deer.Reports to follow.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 11:04:25 (permalink)
Whew , round 1 of a full house for breakfast just winding down . Round -2 at 4 pm
Enjoy the day Jack , looking forward to your report !!

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 14:52:08 (permalink)
Congrats on the turkey smack down !!

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 15:12:53 (permalink)
Well I had written lots of words in word but couldn't cut and paste them.
Our last trip started late on the weatherman's saying it was to snow overnight and then clear.
So at 4 am there was of course no snow but when we started out around 7 a light fall began.
As we entered Wayne Co. we were met with a mini blizzard.
As soon as we crossed into Oswego Co. blue skies and very little snow on the ground.

A few pics here to show what we fished in both the sunlight and lack of crowds

We fished hard the first day fishing below Pulaski, above Pineville and up in Altmar.
Not a sniff for either of us.
Lots of miles hiked, beautiful scenery seen, and great water fished with no success.
By the way Lucky looking at you tells me those Dbags in the stairs were right,  with them done up like Simms models, they had the right to try and crowd us out.
We are the ragamuffins of the SR.
Wed being the last day of our outing (maybe for the year) I decided if I was going down I was going down swinging.
Cut off the mono leader and put the polly tip back on.
Mid day it happened and I got the rip I have been looking for.
Not an egg take but a FUNDERTUCK of a take.
[tube]https://youtu.be/S55ozleWZ0w[/tube]

Played it like a wuss wanting badly to  land it for a photo session.
Lucky thought it might be a salmon from the way it fought since it just slowly muscled his way around but never burning himself up.
But after 5 minutes or so and having it within feet of the water's edge several times it was time to stop its next run and the fly popped free.
I believe Chuck has some pictures of the water just before or after I rolled him to the surface trying to end the battle but none actually showing the fish.

Pumped I took time to change tippet (8# ultragreen)
Giving Chuck a chance to fish thru the gut.

Dropped in above him as soon as I had a real fishable amount of line out first swing and bam hammered again.

She was smaller (8-9 pounds) than the buck and zipped around pretty good using up her energy and giving a bumbler like me a chance to get a pic or two.

Been a great year of fishing but a very hard one for catching.
post edited by twobob - 2015/11/27 11:34:35
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 15:17:33 (permalink)
Spot burner !! Lol

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 18:20:40 (permalink)
Weather was great, fishing was great, but the catching was not. We managed 2 cracks and landed a 10#er. It was last ditch and we had given up hope and she smacked, the launch was nearly in site. 3 got some pic's. Man that guy can row. Thanks again Jon.  I fished the LFZ after for 3 hours and did not manage a touch until 10 of 5:00.  played it for a while and it spit.  saw 4 fished hooked in those 3 hours. There were between 8 and 10 guys there on both sides.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 19:34:56 (permalink)
hot tuna
Spot burner !! Lol

What the heck Lucky and I probably won't get  back again til next year so have at our spot.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 19:37:44 (permalink)
It will be mobbed tomorrow , I don't stand a chance . Lol
Nice fishing boys :)

3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 19:39:22 (permalink)
Really good to meet you Clint and I had a great time. The river was a touch busier than I thought it would be but a lot of fun anyhow. Sure wish that first one stayed hung but that is fishing!

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/26 19:55:13 (permalink)
Great pic man. To all those worried about the blood. The fish was released to my freezer. My wifes stipulation on me going was to bring one back. I bled it out at the gills to save the eggs.  They were a little small, but looks like they will fish good.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/27 07:04:45 (permalink)
Had to be a good day for late November we will continue to take the warmer weather no offense Tuna. Looking to hit the Battenkill this afternoon after a little time at work. Hope everyone enjoyed their turkey day.
twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/27 13:37:57 (permalink)
Nice job guys.
Sounds like fun.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/27 14:41:54 (permalink)
Well I could n't wait 'till Monday so I went out today and hit the Grand in Ohio cause I read some reports that there was some action there.Well the action died today,I did n't get a snif or a bump,did n't see any one else with a fish but talked to one guy that said he saw one fish on.The wind was howling'the rain started to get heavy so I quit around 1 PM.Back to my original plan to fish Monday in Penna.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/27 15:04:37 (permalink)
Great reports guys and glad everyone here enjoyed some holiday weather .
Hot as heck now cutting up venison . Quarters have been in freezer since 11am
Smoker is smoking too.
I'm stuck working at the house , wishing I was in the outdoors playing .
May your hands be covered in slime and your shots be straight :)
Looking forward to one last hunt of the year next week and the upcoming ice , if it ever happens this year . The big laker lakes will be a February adventure for sure . My goal is to walk on water before Christmas :)
Back to smoking and cuttin'
Peace & Tuna

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/27 19:46:47 (permalink)
Well I went back and re read your adventure 2 b , a different but most entertaining read .
Thoughts and shares like that make me smile . BTDT ..
It's not the clothes we wear , the rods we handle or the fish we persue , if your a dbag , none of that matters. I only wish to share water and time in the outdoors with like minded people that have the power to love, just ask the axis :)
Maybe you 2 will get an itch to sit in a shanty shack or chuck a rapala to some dumb adk trout with a ragamuffin outside of the Great Lakes boxed in fishery .
Peace & Tuna

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/27 20:06:49 (permalink)
Yeah.. C'mon, ya got BTDT.

Oh, sorry........ thoought somebody was callin!  

Sorry, couldn't resist HT but, while I got you on the hook, regarding the walking on water thing?   Not meaning to "rain on your parade" however, I think it necessary to try and let you down slowly rather than see you totally disappointed.

Please be seated before attempting this link. http://www.weather.com/forecast/national/news/winter-temperature-outlook-update-november-2015-2016 

Your friend and mine
BTDT

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/27 20:32:29 (permalink)
No worries BTDT ,
I seen some white on that pumpkin of a pond in your back yard .
It means it's a start of things to come , ya know .. It's a field of dreams and people will come , sooon , they will .
In 2011 I Was swimming in the Colorado river on dec -25 at 90 degs , 1 week later blasting a UTV across 20" snow and 8" ice over 100 FOW on lake George with a jig rod in hand
It will come :)
post edited by hot tuna - 2015/11/27 20:33:57

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/27 21:12:45 (permalink)
Good buddy, I'm lookin forward to it, totally missed out the past couple years.  Gettin toooo danged old to be dragging sleds and sheds across the ice.  New lakes [to me],  where I been "trying" to catch fish, offers some good water closer to the parking lot. 

Congratulations on the successful white tail hunt, that jerky and baloney will taste good on the ice. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/28 10:49:06 (permalink)
It's a beautiful day [or, was til I saw who else was posting]  here in in my little piece of downtown Penn's Woods.  Sky is a lovely cold gray with a wonderful chilled drizzle falling.  Wind is from the north at 4.7 mph making the 40'F. air feel like 37.

My current dilemma involves (no, not Walcat) a standing dead cherry tree about 40' high and 20" at the base.  This tree has been girdled by beavers better than 8 years ago so, I thought, cut it down and have enough fire wood to keep me toasty warm while I pass the winter doldrums, playing in my man cave.

I cut the wedge, at the base of the tree, just as any good lumberjack would do.  Before continuing I should explain, this tree is on a bank with a beaver pond to it's east, to the north is unstable ground covered by heavy green brier, undermined and, perforated from the beaver.  I need the tree to drop to the west to keep it from hanging-up in maple trees to the south.  Therefore, my only exit without getting wet (regardless of Walcats image of me (I can't walk on water)), shredded or, fear of tripping in the brier is, run to the south.

Now with the wedge cut, (50% +) facing the direction of desired fall, I made the required cut across the opposite side, waiting for the proverbial "CRACK" which, would tell me it is time to drop the saw and, run like hell in a southerly direction!!!!

Update: the tree does have a slight list to the east but, just slightly.  Oh!  My saw has a 16" bar.

Well, to make the second cut, I had to begin on the far side of the tree and pull the saw toward me, all the while waiting, for the sign that says, get your azz out of there.  Which, never happened as the tree, now waving it's huge dead branches over my little head, began to list even more to the east.  Not much mind you, only a fraction of an inch,  my chain and bar served as a wedge an prevented the tree from leaning any further.

Now, I know what your thinking and your right, the huge dead branches waving over my little head was caused by the wind kicking up and as luck would have it, rocked the tree letting me free the saw and take "Three steps towards the door" as in, "Mother may I" giant steps.

That was three days ago, and now,  I stand here in my my favorite deer stand recalling that day cutting fire wood thinking......... when is that dam tree gonna fall?

Good luck to those now hunting and to those still fishing.  

Think spring!!!

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/28 14:37:04 (permalink)
You could try helping it with a rope and come-along, but I'd be really careful getting the rope around the tree!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/28 16:48:44 (permalink)
Just drop the darn thing . Getting a tree hung up sucks but it happens .
Terrible day , weather sucks , no ice and mud season is back .
Man cave is eating wood and spirits ,
I'd rather be goinn down the road feeling bad

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/29 18:36:04 (permalink)
Breezy but mild today . Finished a shed roof and retired to the confines of 4 walls after . Hope everyone had a nice holiday and weather .
Im wishing for more time afield amidst daylight and less wintering on the Homefront

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/29 19:12:06 (permalink)
Finished up buttoning up for the winter, barn is ready for the cows, plows are the trucks and snowblower is on the tractor after fighting a fuel leak and a bad key switch.  I went out twice ands saw nothing but a few does, but I was not trying hard.  FWIW all reports are leading to a pretty crappy fishing winter as far as steel. 

My wheeler has two bad cylinders, that's why it was running bad. I knew it was bad when the tech said ''let me show you the pictures''.  After reading up I am surprised it lasted this long..........
After some dickering we came to an agreement on a new machine and they waved why I owed the service dept. and gave me $500 for my broke down machine.   Going from a Kawi 750 to a Polaris 570. It was not a hard choice as my machine was 10 years old needed close to two grand in parts before they even got into the bottom end. Also needed tires and the suspension was making some funky squeaking noises. Going from carb to efi will be nice too.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/29 19:25:18 (permalink)
Humm good , bad ? My Yamaha grizzly is 10 years with little use . I'm hoping it's still worth $3,000 as I paid 5 cash . The other Yamaha wolverine is 9 years with less hrs and I can't get $1,500 for it . Toys are only worth something to someone but everything to each of us . Tough to cut ties .
I hope things work out well with the Polaris.
As for the fishing at hand , see above ...
If I'm having fun sharing times with friends, the catching is always secondary.
Hoping the lakers on the Great Lake Ontario grow huge !!!

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/29 20:34:05 (permalink)
Bad in my book HT. Did not want or need a new wheeler, but I use it as my main firewood gathering tool as the places I cut are too wet for the tractor except in the dead of summer. Lot's of work on the farm too.   With $600 off all 2015's  now is as good as in the spring. Was planning on about 1k of tires, suspension parts  and maintenance this winter so I am glad it blew now and not right after. Will even try it out on the ice this year if conditions warrant.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/11/30 13:08:46 (permalink)
If it hasn't fallen yet then stick a wedge in the back cut an hammer away . It will fall .
Be careful because I too have BTDT :)

Page: << < ..111112113114115.. > >> Showing page 114 of 199
Jump to: