Lost two fly rods

Author
SCaveNJ
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 0
2015/11/25 19:12:51 (permalink)

Lost two fly rods

Day 1 of our annual trip to Erie, and we accidentally left two fly rods on the roof of our car.  Drove off and got about five miles away before we remembered it.  Backtracked in hopes of finding them but no luck.  If anyone finds them, please send me a PM.

Reward will be given if we can get them back.

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

11 Replies Related Threads

SCaveNJ
    New Angler
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/11/26 12:13:37 (permalink)
    Happy thanksgiving folks. I just wanted to give some more details to hopefully aid in the search.
    We were fishing late yesterday afternoon at Follys Campground. By the time we got back to the car it was starting to get dark. We set the rods on the roof while we got out of our waders. Stupid.
    They most likely fell off right in the parking lot at Follys. The rods still had the reels attached and were strung up with flies. Still ready to fish.
    We went back last night and searched and went again this morning but no luck. I'm sure someone found them. Hopefully they turn them in to one of the tackle shops.

cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/11/26 17:17:20 (permalink)
    Did you call Follys? 814-474-5730
    Which way did you turn coming out of Folly's?

post edited by cbeagler - 2015/11/26 17:19:39

SCaveNJ
    New Angler
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/11/26 17:27:15 (permalink)
    We did call them and also a few other shops.   We've also posted on some of the different shops' Facebook pages.  Trying to get the word out as best as we can. 
    We made a left out of their driveway and were about a half-mile past Rt90 when we realized what we'd done.  We searched the roads last night and again this morning but no luck.  Honestly, I bet they fell off right in front of the Follys tackle shop or somewhere up their driveway.

kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 699
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/11/27 22:06:16 (permalink)
    Check over on the paflyfish forums as well, hope you find them, lost a rod once and ever since then I walk around the car a few times to see if anything was left.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
    SCaveNJ
    New Angler
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/11/27 23:33:48 (permalink)
    Good news.  I received a PM earlier today from a forum member whose friend is staying at Follys.  He had found our rods in the road the other night.  Unfortunately, they had been run over which broke both rods and damaged one of the reels pretty badly.  But we were able to meet up with him this afternoon and get the gear back.  Even though the gear is broken, my son and I were happy to get it back.  It was nice that both pcj15608 and his friend took the time to reunite us with our gear, and the whole process reminded us what a great community you have here. 
    When we put out the call for help, word quickly spread via the website and several Facebook pages.  Folks online and at the local tackle shops tried their best to assist, right down to offering to let us borrow some of their gear.  That was awesome and we are very grateful.  Thanks folks - you're good people!

H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/11/28 00:09:15 (permalink)
    SCaveNJ
    Good news.  I received a PM earlier today from a forum member whose friend is staying at Follys.  He had found our rods in the road the other night.  Unfortunately, they had been run over which broke both rods and damaged one of the reels pretty badly.  But we were able to meet up with him this afternoon and get the gear back.  Even though the gear is broken, my son and I were happy to get it back.  It was nice that both pcj15608 and his friend took the time to reunite us with our gear, and the whole process reminded us what a great community you have here. 
    When we put out the call for help, word quickly spread via the website and several Facebook pages.  Folks online and at the local tackle shops tried their best to assist, right down to offering to let us borrow some of their gear.  That was awesome and we are very grateful.  Thanks folks - you're good people!

That is always good to hear! (Not the broken gear part)

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3412
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/11/28 08:57:08 (permalink)
    Guess there are some good folks left out there. Hopefully you have warranties that you can use to get all the gear fixed. KUDOS to the returner. We all have probably done something like that once. Betcha you make sure all your gear is squared away next time.. jus say'IN. Congrats.
    Irisheyeball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/11/28 14:50:06 (permalink)
    Sorry about the damage.  I used to pull that stunt regularly and lost a couple of rods as a result.  A suggestion made through this forum cured me.  That is, after returning from the water to my car, I lay my rod across my windshield wipers.  Then I go about my business and get ready to leave.   Usually I remember to pack my rod, however, when I don't, at least I'm looking at it before I have a chance to drive off.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/12/01 14:37:36 (permalink)
    Irisheyeball
    Sorry about the damage.  I used to pull that stunt regularly and lost a couple of rods as a result.  A suggestion made through this forum cured me.  That is, after returning from the water to my car, I lay my rod across my windshield wipers.  Then I go about my business and get ready to leave.   Usually I remember to pack my rod, however, when I don't, at least I'm looking at it before I have a chance to drive off.

After doing this and been with others that did the same I have started to lean the rod against the drivers door at the mirror,does the same as the windshied .
    SCaveNJ
    New Angler
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/12/01 15:16:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips.  All very good advice.  I usually clip my car keys into my sling pack, but I forgot to take them out of my pants pocket before putting on my waders.  That's what did me in.  When I got back to the car, I had to get the waders off to get the keys, and thus the stupid move of setting the rods up top.  Sometimes all it takes is a slight disruption in your routine to mess you up. 
    Still kicking myself, but fortunately, the rods had no-fault warranties so those will be replaced for a nominal fee.  My reel seems ok aside from some scuffs, but my son's reel was crushed.  I already ordered a replacement.  Hopefully I will never make that mistake again.

wetfoot
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re: Lost two fly rods 2015/12/01 15:38:28 (permalink)
    Awesome you got your equipment back!!!! Way to go guys...like it when good people do good! Hope you had a good days fishing at least until the brain fart. Good luck next trip
    Jump to: