Rod repairs and custom rod builders

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2015/10/24 22:06:56 (permalink)

Rod repairs and custom rod builders

Hey guys.  I have a broken tip on a decent rod (Oceanmaster OMBS71540).  And before you tell me to get one of those rod tip fixit kits and DIY, I did that.  It didn't turn out right and I hated it and refused to use it.  I hate to pitch a $100ish rod that I could use if I could get someone that doesn't suck at such things to fix it right.  So I searched a bit on here and it looks like there are a couple active guys who work on rods, but one is in Erie and one is equally South of me.  

Anyone know of a rod fixer type shop/dude in the North PGH area?  Same question for a rod builder?  More on that one below...

Thinking it might be time to buy a nice spinning rod.  I'm a career $30ish rod guy for the 6-7' one piece jobbers I typically fish with.  I could just drop for a St Croix, though I've hesitated since I really don't know what I get for all that money.  I have a couple "nicer" rods, like a Diawa Laguna and a couple Ugly Stick ISSs.  It is possible that really nice rods aren't worth it for me or my fishing, which is generally lazy bobber panfishing / splitshot on the bottom kind of stuff.  I won't be offended if the consensus is "stick with cheap rods, redneck!"  But if there's something in the $150-$200 range that would bring me to fishing nirvana, custom or off the rack, I'd love to hear about it.  Suggestions/experiences would be great.

Thanks!

5 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Rod repairs and custom rod builders 2015/10/24 23:13:15 (permalink)
    Sam I'm planning on (as in hoping) to hit Shenango sometime tomorrow, I'd be glad to let ya try one of my Croix for a while if , that'll help.  I have several in spinning and bait casting and none have ever cost me an arm and a leg.  I know it's a bit of a trip from your 10-20 but your welcome if you so chose.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Rod repairs and custom rod builders 2015/10/24 23:34:58 (permalink)
    A fine offer, but I planned work and traveling electrician visit already for tomorrow.  :(  I'll shoot you a PM in a bit though.  

Thanks!
    Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Rod repairs and custom rod builders 2015/10/25 09:47:37 (permalink)
    It's not North Pittsburgh, but Lee Murray - Lock 3 in Cheswick is located less than a minute from the turnpike. If you decide to make the trip call first and set it up. He can order the correct tip and make the repair while you wait.
    shrodreel
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re: Rod repairs and custom rod builders 2015/10/30 18:40:52 (permalink)
    Unless the guy has a magic wand, you can't "fix" a broken rod section on a graphite or fiberglass rod...You can buy a pretty spiffy rod these days for less than 50 bucks...If it breaks, just throw it away or use it for a tomato stake..
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    Re: Rod repairs and custom rod builders 2015/11/25 21:34:38 (permalink)
    I repair rods, but that's quite a trip for a tip repair.  As for your other question, St Croix Avid is a great rod in its price point.
    Jump to: