Oz super slow 12/6

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2015/11/08 13:09:04 (permalink)

Oz super slow 12/6

24Fished the OZ for a few hours again today and it was a bust. Not one fish hooked by anyone I saw and that included the boats that were around. According to all the old timers I talked to  this time of year should be hopping.  They said it is as bad as it gets and does not seem to be getting better. Let's hope for some rain to push stuff along.  Water is low too.
post edited by Clint S - 2015/12/06 20:48:47

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

11 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/08 21:46:18 (permalink)
    A lot of the people at the SR on Wednesday and Thursday were headed to the OZ on reports of hot action.  Must be another "fish story."
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/09 20:56:13 (permalink)
    I really do not fish up by the dam and there are still a few kings and trout up there. Don't want to go in just to have the whistle go of.   I prefer the wall.  Did not see one fish on a string on all the boats either

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/10 06:43:33 (permalink)
    The people at SR that were going to the oz said they were fishing off the wall.  Decoy tactic to get some of the people out of the zone and the bovines, maybe, it did get some folks who planned to be on the SR to drive to Oswego.  We don't know how they did as we were out of there on Friday AM.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/16 17:22:37 (permalink)
    Got a few hours in this am , problem is all the fish were caught before 0830 and I got there at 0900. Fog was thick a pea soup in the wee hours. Not alot of fish either 2 browns a rainbow and a Steele. On the walls this river differs so much from the Salmon as far as how and who. At the faster water wall all the old timers hang out (me included) you can tell many are far past retirement age, but it is easy access. On the high and low walls are most of the folks that , unlike the retirement group, look to be capable of work , but do not go.  

It is the same type of fishing though. Walk up river, cast and chase your bait until you meet someone standing in your way. Then reel up and try again (down in the fast water this can be 1/8 of a mile). It looks like a schoolhouse line walking to the cafeteria. I tend to stay in one spot and bottom bounce or float and then just work my way down. 

On a side note I had to leave early today.   Yesterday I cracked my head in the barn and today I had a terrible headache and was sick to my stomach.  I think I may have concussed myself. Slept the whole afternoon in bed with the shades drawn and a pillow over my eyes. I feel a little better tonight.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/16 19:50:33 (permalink)
    Drove over the oz in Fulton today twice.

Fished 2 often productive spots on the SR bwith no one in sight.
    7 hours for a total of one touch.
    Landed a 9 ninch atlantic in the low upper river run.
    It hit like a truck and was very zippy but it was a lot iof driving and a long solo day for that one moment.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/24 18:00:49 (permalink)
    I have kind of ben neglecting the SR lately, that will change on T Day with 3fan.  My 94 year old granny lives in a home next to the river so it is a no brainer to fish there and then visit. Fished 4 hours ad hot one head shake. Guy next to me hooked 3 and the group of guys that fish there most every day hooked at least 8 and landed slot of them. I fished on the Low wall today. It is a learning curve for me as the water is deep and slip floating or bottom bouncing is the way to go. I have minimal experience with both. Guys helped me out a bit and told me colors (green, blue, orange) and depth to set float at  15 to 16 feet. All in all it was the best day there in a whole and I like it because there are no shenanigans going on and everyone seems nice. Just take turns walking the wall.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/24 21:07:48 (permalink)
    Yup , it ain't pretty but it's fishing .
    Nice report and glad you got in a visit .
    You will have fun on Thursday for sure !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/25 09:55:45 (permalink)
    Used to fish the wall along time ago, same side as the locks and we used mostly slinkies and sacks blue being the best color more often than not. Should by all rights be a lot of browns around now. The stoplight hole was also good but always fished better from the boat and we would use small bucktail jigs in white and brown and hammer them brownies! Rest up your arms Clint gonna be lots of crack downs tomorrow.....I hope:)
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/25 10:51:37 (permalink)
    Good luck to you guys. Sounds like a good way to spend Thanksgiving morning. I'll be in a boat but not with my fly rod with the shot gun. After some ducks not my cup of tea but I do it for dad. Hope everyone enjoys what ever they are up to tomorrow.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/11/25 19:20:41 (permalink)
    The bridge to the lock side has been shut down so there is no access on that side. Many good spots were lost. White jigs to mimic the gizzard shad as worked in the past. I will be at the launch at 0730

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Oz still slow 2015/12/06 20:57:41 (permalink)
    So I fished today for 3 or so hours. The water was very high, like 12k. The last few times I was there it was around 8k.   I Absolutely no hook ups from the walls at all. NADA, ZIP , ZILTCH.  Saw one fish hooked from a boat.    A drift boat capsized yesterday and luckily they were wearing vests. I do not think The boat was recovered. Probably in the lake by now.

Jump to: