Helpful ReplyRun

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Run 2015/10/13 22:09:11 (permalink)
Yesterday was my worst day ever on the tribs. First time it was actually not fun. Conditions were terrible.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: Run 2015/10/14 04:41:09 (permalink)
Contrary to some reports, the official reports show that the Erie area got .16 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.  One report I read said all the east side creeks will have fish.  Uh, I don't BS, Rsquared will vouch for that. I went to Four Mile today, and there is barely any water coming down the ladder at the dam.  There was one car in the lot. The guy was leaving.  He said he didn't see anything in the creek, and had been to 12, 16, and 20, and only 16 and 20 had a few fish near the mouth, with more fishermen than fish.  I've seen the same thing, all week.  But, if you want to believe the guy whose name I won't mention, go ahead and fish at Rt. 5 at 20 mile.  Lots of luck to you.  You'll have lots of room, as you will on 4, 7, and 12 mile, anywhere. And on 16 mile, past the faux falls. 

As far as the report on the reports page, yeh, Walnut has fish.  Whoopie frigging doo.  Three steelhead.  Wow!!!  You should write a Steelhead Guide.   If you are truly desperate, go ahead and go to Walnut.  I hear it's not too crowded.  After sunset.

I don't know anything about Elk.  It may have a ton of fish, at the mouth. I know there aren't many past Rt. 5 though, and I only fish middle and upper Elk. 

Seriously, save your gas money until we get a couple inches of rain, at least on the east side. Steelhead got no legs.  Here's the link : http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KERI.html
A
nd check the gauges for Elk and Walnut.  I've been watching them for three weeks, and they've barely moved, except to go down.  
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Run 2015/10/14 08:07:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2015/10/21 12:43:57
FiveMilePete
Contrary to some reports, the official reports show that the Erie area got .16 inches of rain in the last 24 hours.  One report I read said all the east side creeks will have fish. 

He's got quite the imagination, based on his most recent Facebook update for his shop.  Poor Richards gets my business, even if it means going out of my way.  Superior quality and prices in bait and other products.  

I fished Monday.  Cricks are in the worst shape I've ever seen 'em in 12 years of coming to Erie to fish for steelhead.  Some fish in lower parts of bigger tribs that actually hold some water.  8-10 CFS on Walnut is a LOT different than the normal 20-30 CFS that Walnut usually holds at between rains at this time of year.  

Although it was slow by normal standards for this time of year, there was some action on the lake front and around the bay where steelhead are normally found.  

post edited by rsquared - 2015/10/14 09:07:29
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Run 2015/10/14 08:42:54 (permalink)
Dood, it's Erie. There's never enough fish, we always need rain, and yer always gonna be p*ssin somebody off.

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/14 10:53:52 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FiveMilePete 2015/10/17 03:15:32
There are some fish around, not a lot. But the conditions are so low ad clear right now that it's just not worth it. I like low and clear for jigs and streams. But even that has lost its luster for the moment. The fish are all facing bass ackwards!!!

Pro Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/14 11:14:43 (permalink)
Dunno if that's general commentary on the thread, or directed at me but . . . 

I didn't have great expectations of finding lots of fish in the tribs.  My comment about Walnut was just a statement of fact, not that the run isn't happening or that Erie steelhead fishing is doomed.  It's been a dry, warm late summer/early fall.  Not a surprise.  Just have never seen it this low this far into the season.  Even between rains, the Walnut gauge is normally reading 20 or so CFS at this point in the season, and there will be anywhere from a handful to lots of fish holding in several areas from the wall to the bridge, which wasn't the case Monday.  Elk needs a couple of enemas - so silty and dark that you couldn't see how much was there, from the launch down to the mouth.  Sure there were some there as there always are.  

The bait shop in question posts bogus reports with very specific locations.  What bothers me about it is that those reports drive up pressure on water that is on privately owned property, and a couple of those spots are on property that has had a history of very fragile landowner relations and could be lost very quickly by poor angler behavior that usually follows increased crowds.  Couldn't care less if somebody is in a spot I like to fish, but I would care if some of those spots got shut down because of bogus internet reports with too much information that got overrun by slobs.  

H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Run 2015/10/14 11:49:38 (permalink)
If we drop billions of black balls in the creeks like California did, will this keep the fish running and make the water levels go up?

#SteelheadLivesMatter
Pro Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/14 12:05:33 (permalink)
walcat
Same ol crap as every other year!!!!Really a bunch of bulls#%t!!!!! Talk about something else already !!!!!!!!!!!

I like your walleye, perch and sunset pictures walcat. 

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Run 2015/10/14 12:09:34 (permalink)
rsquared

I didn't have great expectations of finding lots of fish in the tribs.  My comment about Walnut was just a statement of fact, not that the run isn't happening or that Erie steelhead fishing is doomed.  It's been a dry, warm late summer/early fall.  Not a surprise.  Just have never seen it this low this far into the season.  Even between rains, the Walnut gauge is normally reading 20 or so CFS at this point in the season, and there will be anywhere from a handful to lots of fish holding in several areas from the wall to the bridge, which wasn't the case Monday.  Elk needs a couple of enemas - so silty and dark that you couldn't see how much was there, from the launch down to the mouth.  Sure there were some there as there always are.  

The bait shop in question posts bogus reports with very specific locations.  What bothers me about it is that those reports drive up pressure on water that is on privately owned property, and a couple of those spots are on property that has had a history of very fragile landowner relations and could be lost very quickly by poor angler behavior that usually follows increased crowds.  Couldn't care less if somebody is in a spot I like to fish, but I would care if some of those spots got shut down because of bogus internet reports with too much information that got overrun by slobs.  

Nah, wasn't directed at you, just a bit of general commentary, and a quote I coined a few years back. I gotta say I'm impressed with the civility theres been on here so far this year, a few years back it got so bad on here that you couldn't post without starting a flame war with somebody, and God forbid if you posted a photo. 

That said, is the bait shop yer talkin about East End by chance? Been in there a few times, never had a problem with them personally, and they have been courteous and helpful, but I do agree the reports they post online are often inflated and give too much away. 

Also, looks like the gauge came up to around 50 last night, but it's dropping again, hopefully some of the showers they got forecasted the next few days can keep things up a bit. 

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

fishrmn
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 675
Re: Run 2015/10/14 12:15:42 (permalink)
I will agree that a nice blast of rain would be great right now, but we've been enjoying the last few weeks on the streams.  Heck, even my ol' lady hooked a bunch yesterday and had a great time.  Expect a large migration of peoples with the next significant rainfall. 
Pro Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/14 12:37:35 (permalink)
H3Fisher
If we drop billions of black balls in the creeks like California did, will this keep the fish running and make the water levels go up?

#SteelheadLivesMatter

Nah, build reservoirs in McKean and near Millcreek Mall to keep flows steady through the fall with regular releases of water.  Cheaper than all those balls.  

fishrmn
I will agree that a nice blast of rain would be great right now, but we've been enjoying the last few weeks on the streams.  Heck, even my ol' lady hooked a bunch yesterday and had a great time. 

fishrmn, good job man.  You always seem to consistently get it done no matter the conditions.  

In general, feeshin' with two 11 year old boys is a challenge in most conditions on Erie, and even more so with Monday's conditions.  Lots of retying, untangling, re-baiting and moving around when they get bored which happens more frequently the longer the day goes on even when there's a little bit of action.  With them in tow, I try to stay away from crowds not so much for their sake but for the sake of those who are already there.  They've gotten spoiled the last couple of years with some pretty epic days in great conditions.  

fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/14 14:01:08 (permalink)
I brought my "old lady" on monday and we ain't catch a cold!
(hangs head in shame)

SCaveNJ
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Run 2015/10/14 20:21:44 (permalink)
rsquared
In general, feeshin' with two 11 year old boys is a challenge in most conditions on Erie, and even more so with Monday's conditions.  Lots of retying, untangling, re-baiting and moving around when they get bored which happens more frequently the longer the day goes on even when there's a little bit of action.  With them in tow, I try to stay away from crowds not so much for their sake but for the sake of those who are already there.  They've gotten spoiled the last couple of years with some pretty epic days in great conditions.  

Fish or no fish, you're a great dad for taking them out there.  Hopefully the bad days on the water make them appreciate the good days all the more.  I've got lots of great memories fishing with my son over the years, and now unfortunately, the turd routinely out-fishes me.

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re: Run 2015/10/14 20:50:01 (permalink)
pheasant tail 2
Rub the lantern and ask the GENIEMAN. He knows. Larry are you still out there????????

HA!!
you must of been rubbing, PT
just popped in the first time in  along time

predictions??

most will   still hate guides..and in particular those that guide on private sections
they'll be a bazzilion and three  posts saying "we need rain"
the''ll be posts saying the "fishing sukx" right next to posts saying "it's great"
The 7 fish left trapped in the stop sign hole will have 14 anglers chucking junk at them
some  posters will ask "is it worth it" to come now

plenty of pi55 'n moan threads over snaggrs, trash and "there ain't no fish"

Other than that, I' glad to still be kicking and to see some my old friends are still here !!
and I'm HOPING the mice didn't make a home in my waders last  winter ...or i may be up real soon .
cause I'll bet my finest Colt  there's one or two i can toss junk at...whether or not they're dumb ones (the only ones i can make bite) I haven't a clue ...but I KNOW I'll enjoy the time regardless

..L.T.A.
Pro Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/15 10:54:23 (permalink)
SCaveNJ

the turd routinely out-fishes me.

I know the feeling too well!  

Sometime about two years ago, our trips to Erie have gone from me mostly hooking up and handing him the rod to him yelling, "Fish on!"  And I wouldn't want it any other way.  Now if I could only teach him how to tie knots himself, untangle birds nests and re-rig when he gets a snag, I'd get more fishing time in for myself!  

We've had some very good days in Erie the past couple of years which helps, including days where we just lose track of how many fish we fight and catch; days that are complete duds; and days where we do OK.  Fortunately, he knows the fun of those great days which help to get him through the not so great ones.  
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
Re: Run 2015/10/15 11:18:07 (permalink)
Any and all days on the water are good especially when you're doing it with grandchildren, children-young or adult, or just an old friend to shoot the bull with. Fishin' is the fun part, catching something is just a bonus. Was able to spend some time with an adult daughter this weekend showing her the basics of fly rod fishing for steel. Didn't catch anything but I think she got the "drift" of it and it gave her a break from her two toddlers. 

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
pheasant tail 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 401
Re: Run 2015/10/15 20:53:47 (permalink)
LOL. Great to hear from you. I've been waiting for a post from the Genieman. Still hear, mostly just read the boards these days, haven't fished the tribs in a few years, although I miss the company of good friends on the water. Dilbert where are you? I hear there is fresh batch underclassman ready to enroll at Hook Shy University.

PT2
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: Run 2015/10/17 03:31:45 (permalink)
rsquared

Very accurate on your last statements there, R**2.  I was talking to another local who told me that we are in imminent danger of losing most access to both 16 and 20 mile above Rt. 5, due to the bozos walking through private property, and parking in the wrong places, as in walking through yards to get to the falls on 16 mile, and parking in the fields on 20, when there is plenty of parking on the road.  Among other idiotic actions.  So if you see folks doing this tell them how they are hurting everyone.   Also, heard last year that the sisters, and other property owners at 7 mile were getting upset at the behavior of "anglers" there too.  Like whipping it out to do their business, or worse, walking across the yards, west of the creek, leaving trash, etc.  Don't be surprised if the WALK IN FISHING ONLY sign changes to PRIVATE PROPERTY  NO TRESPASSING.  Word to the wise.  BTW, there's still no fish in 7, 12, or anywhere on 16, except at the mouth. 

post edited by FiveMilePete - 2015/10/17 03:58:11
Gn Fishn
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Run 2015/10/17 18:24:37 (permalink)
Just came back from a week in the Erie streams and got tired of trying to catch the same fish daily. Until at least they get 2" of rain it's not going to change much. On some streams the small amount of rain gotten on 10-13 brought in a few fish but only a few. I fished Elk, Walnut, Crooked, 16 mile and 20 mile and got tired of seeing 10 or more people surrounding a pod of fish. I won't stoop to that level as I saw on several of the above streams
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
Re: Run 2015/10/18 10:34:36 (permalink)
Just took a look at walnut. Decided not to fish. A little flow but wind off the lake took my hat off and still pretty low honestly. Watched for 10 min, only saw leaves on the hooks. Has to be a few fresh ones moving in but they can't be moving too far up. Thought about poking around middle elk but oh well...
mike55
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Run 2015/10/19 23:22:39 (permalink)
Run?

You mean swim in for a few hours and go right back out because Erie creeks cant hold water for more than a day.
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
Re: Run 2015/10/20 00:18:56 (permalink)
Let you all know how the run is Friday maybe? Probably go up the creek some and go walk down some to avoid crowds, rather find a few fish, still don't think I got the hang of catching steel on the fly without taking to long.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
flat lander
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 70
Re: Run 2015/10/20 16:35:03 (permalink)
kill3ducks1deer
Let you all know how the run is Friday maybe? Probably go up the creek some and go walk down some to avoid crowds, rather find a few fish, still don't think I got the hang of catching steel on the fly without taking to long.

I would take most of these reports with a grain of salt. You will catch a few if you fish hard. I think some of the guys on this forum think if they are negative enough, out-of-towners will stay home...or they have a hard time landing the elusive silver catfish themselves.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/20 16:45:06 (permalink)
Flat lander you would normally be correct. There are a few like that. But this year really does stink. Im an ahhhtta tahhhnner and I've been up twice already. It's craptastic. I caught fish my first trip and none my second.
Fish can be caught but if ur debating whether or not to go I would say be ready for poor catching, no flow and crowded holes.

flat lander
Novice Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/20 16:50:27 (permalink)
fisherofmen376
Flat lander you would normally be correct. There are a few like that. But this year really does stink. Im an ahhhtta tahhhnner and I've been up twice already. It's craptastic. I caught fish my first trip and none my second.
Fish can be caught but if ur debating whether or not to go I would say be ready for poor catching, no flow and crowded holes.

I'll be there Thursday through Saturday...I'm feeling double digit days
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Run 2015/10/20 16:55:24 (permalink)
Heading up tomorrow till sunday.

And its no joke, the fishing has been rough. But every pod of fish have a couple dummies that will hit. Finding them is another story.
flat lander
Novice Angler
Re: Run 2015/10/20 17:06:41 (permalink)
H3Fisher
Heading up tomorrow till sunday.

And its no joke, the fishing has been rough. But every pod of fish have a couple dummies that will hit. Finding them is another story.

Good luck to you sir. I think the recent rain/snow/cold brought in a few dummies
jaydse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Run 2015/10/20 19:19:27 (permalink)
I would take most of these reports with a grain of salt. You will catch a few if you fish hard. I think some of the guys on this forum think if they are negative enough, out-of-towners will stay home...or they have a hard time landing the elusive silver catfish themselves.
QuoteReply Ding ding a winner !!!

Mercury jet, & Tohotsu prop.  Lowes boat, ST. Croix poles Shimano reels .
JRSR
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
Re: Run 2015/10/20 21:57:31 (permalink)
Well here ya go. I fished lower Elk today from noon until 6:30pm. Landed one steelie, lost 2 and had several bites all on fatheads. Couldn't really see any fish unless they were surfacing, which happened somewhat often later in the day. Saw a few guys (one fly fisherman was doing quite well) catching 8 to 10 fish each, most guys didn't catch any. Some got one or two. Some leaves drifting down but not too bad, I caught 2 of them as well. Great day to be on the water. Good Luck!!
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
Re: Run 2015/10/23 19:08:21 (permalink)
We fished Elk and Walnut, water was low and clear, fish were pretty spooked but there were fish, not a huge amount but they were there. Worth a 2 and a half hour trip and half a tank in gas, I think so. I hooked up 3 times, broke off and lost them, buddy hooked up 6, broke a real nice one off, and landed his first one.

On a side note, this was my first time driving up to erie, the drive home is rough, ended up having to switch with my buddy, can see how accidents happen at the wheel really easily.

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: