Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"!

Author
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
  • Reward points: 0
2015/10/08 05:45:32 (permalink)

Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"!

Arrive at LFZ parking lot at 4:30 already in waders for fishing that is legal at 6:39.
Garb your chair sling on your backpack and hit the trail for that grueling 10 minute hike to the water you intend to not move an inch from before dinner time.

PS--- what does it tell you about the progress of the run when the drift boats are putting in at Pinegrove at 4:15.

Might just go back to the tent and nap.
Too old for this......

28 Replies Related Threads

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/08 16:25:10 (permalink)
    Substitute steelhead for salmon, add in Little Buddy heater to the carry -in gear. Maintain the 2 hr. pre-start, even when below zero .
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/08 19:37:08 (permalink)
    Sounds about right.........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/08 20:57:06 (permalink)
    yeah, there's 15 miles of river, but the church hole is not long and a great spot.  You want real estate on that hole, you better arrive early.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 04:18:47 (permalink)
    I gave up that odark thirty crap once it became a red light district .
    Will say George O' kinda has the right idea motoring up instead of walking down , NOT !! Things that go bump in the night is what scare me about the river
    Time for my injection of morphine , this sucks worse then the fishing .
    post edited by hot tuna - 2015/10/09 04:23:57

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 08:17:22 (permalink)
    It wasn't very long ago that the LFZ could be fished with lots of elbow room during off-times and periods of not-so-pleasant weather. Not so, now.  Last winter, I got to fish the unemployment hole for the first time. The LFZ was packed, but no one went below the bridge, as it's not mentioned on all the  flyfishing forums and blogs. It was cold as  heck and it gave up 2 steel.  Everyone I've talked to that traveled from a few hours away, now avoids the LFZ  and goes elsewhere. It's become the new snagging zone, as flossing techniques and lifting are 99% of the tactics employed. Can't take away the awesome days I've had in the LFZ, but times change. There's only one troll on this board that thinks it's fun to fish that way; certainly doesn't earn him respect, just laughter and derision.
       Hang in there, HT.  Best net man, EVER.  That's one of my memories- swinging up a  beautiful  hen in the tail of the Church, her dropping out , and HT netting her after a chase into the heavy water.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 08:59:35 (permalink)
    Right on Charlie,
    As you may or not know , I never even fished the LFZ until I met you and jack . I always thought of it as a lifter or snobs area .i was always a more open space guy in the UFZ . In the time fishing there (LFZ) with you guys it was nothing of the sort , it was fun as heck and not that awful crowded . Some of my best times on the river came from netting jack & your steelhead as well as having my son learn what a knuckle buster was .
    Alas though, you hit things on the head of what it's become since experiencing the red coats and red lights . In the few other times I been back I see the same guys doing the same thing , macho liners or stealth snaggers we said . You get the guy who will stand in the prime spot ALL day and hook fish after fish and think he is the greatest on the river while some poor guy will be struggling just around him hoping and praying the tool bag gives up his spot and leaves .
    The decent thing would at least offer others a turn , I'm not saying rotating is the way to go but it might work in that short stretch.

Thanks for the well wishes folks and looks like I'm getting let out of the asylum soon , again . Sure hope it stays this way and look forward to fishing with you guys again .
    3- fan , we should hook up if you can this fall , that might lift my spirit and feelings towards the SR
    Peace & Tuna

twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 09:22:51 (permalink)
    Now it's gotten where groups of 6 or 8 grab an area and nobody gets near it all day.

I started this because I overheard a secret planning session at dinner.
    Went even earlier to make a point.
    Didn't fish just waited for a single to show at a reasonable hour gave him the rock and went back to take a nap.

Went fishing around 11 or so.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 12:06:20 (permalink)
    Good for you, 2b. Nanc and I were passing thru there,  hiking  to the empty upper and as I passed one of the line on the north gravel he snickered and said Good f'in luck, as if I was a latecomer to the in -the -know fly hipsters, and I would be able to neither rub elbows with  or gain membership into the cool guys line. The cut in the trees across from "the rock" that enables people to move on and off the gravel and get in the water to go up river was completely  and very rudely blocked by a line of lawn chairs. I couldn't help but think that, in other places, these people couldn't fish to save their lives, and the learning curve for many species would be far beyond them; unless they were hand held and breast fed by a guide. Just above the fray was a guy with his waders round his ankles pizzing on the path. My turn to snicker and warn him my wife was right behind me and it might be embarrassing for him. To his (and his prostates) credit he waddled off into the trees, waders held around his knees . I did note, that in my own addled way of thinking, the Church Pool is now the "Compactor 2", as people have been packed in  closer than even the Town Pool. Maybe a fist fight will be videoed on "the Wall"  , achieving lasting fame in the annals of the River. Even better if it's a Dawn-like catfight.  Between all the manly colognes and cigar smoke, it may overpower the dead salmon smell and the reek of unburied Charmin lillies, so if you have a sensitive nose , just may be the place to be.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 18:06:56 (permalink)
    As a cigar smoker, I resemble that remark! : )_S

Tuna, I like the idea of rotation up there, mandatory.  It makes the lift and line a whole lot more difficult as you are stepping downstream every time, but the west coasters and a lot of atlantic fisher people are dealing with it already as standard practice, and we all know that these fish will eat the swung fly.  If the density continues to be unbearable with just rotation, you impose summer regulations and we're all grease lining, but fish will still eat that way, maybe not as many, but DEC thought the flystretch would be a resting place for these fish before the hatchery, not a continuous fight against 8 weights.  Impose this only in the petting zoo, though.

Get well, my friend, we need your insights and an infusion of tunes too! 
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/10/09 18:08:11
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 18:17:10 (permalink)
    Thanks L , I'm back home again for who knows how long though. Still no work, drive , drink or hunt . Tree stands are definitely out.
    Ha know , as I say no rotation, I actually practice rotation anyway. I cast a few then step, cast step. It kinda makes all the sense in the world in the LFZ now that I think about it
    Did get the new ( scam) grateful dead 30 trips around the sun box set ( retail $699.00)
    Delivered ( pirate ) to my computer today so something's happening
    post edited by hot tuna - 2015/10/09 18:21:31

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 18:20:30 (permalink)
    twobob
    Now it's gotten where groups of 6 or 8 grab an area and nobody gets near it all day.

Yep happened o me last year. A group under the hemlocks gave me super hell because I took a spot with literally 30 to 40 feet on either side of me. Guess there were two guys up in the car '' warming their feet'' and they were saving their spots.  I was pretty nice when the guy at the root ball gave me his spot as he said he was going to leave in an hour anyway. Said he heard those a holes and wanted to do the right thing. Best part was hooking 10 plus fish and the ones above hooking only one and then having the nerve to ask me to net it when it was in front of me. I politely refused.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 19:15:45 (permalink)
    Same thing one mid Winter in Kiddie-guy went to lunch and his friends were saving
    ,his, spot-got a bit dicey and I ended up just going way  downriver outa the zone-
    The mind was willing but the reality is -too old to play that.
    One day am gonna get in trouble----
    So many azz hats----
    post edited by r3g3 - 2015/10/09 19:17:51
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 19:22:38 (permalink)
    Clint, don't you know there's a rule about a 13' rod  length minimum  under the hemlocks?  Shame on you for bucking the system. I think there's a sign posted above the root ball. Of course some scum bag drifting rather than swinging probably tore it down. Should be a law.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/09 19:28:41 (permalink)
    Hear ha loud and clear . Don't know the answer and Spey ain't the way . Sometimes it's just best to fish and forget

Yukbug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/10 08:15:58 (permalink)
    Solitude and fish...usually in that order.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/10 08:32:54 (permalink)
    Clint, RG  I remember you posting about it last year.
    That is why I mentioned it was still going on.

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/10 09:52:36 (permalink)
    2Bob- getting in early just to give the spot to a single after hearing the 'lets hog the place' dinner plan is likely one of the best stories on this Forum in a long time.
    LMAO
    Knew I liked ya - now I know why-your a stand up guy IMHO.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/10 10:14:30 (permalink)
    My personal favorite was in the early 80s.
    Lucky and I had met a couple guys fromVT.
    I showed them a spot at the old silo hole that Lucky and I (by other peoples accounts) played) between 75 and 100 steelhead one day.
    When I came back the next week they were there and didn't give me a chance to fish it.

I read once in I think Ray Berman's book about Major Mott going out to a dangerous  place to wade at midnight to be ahead some people he knew were going to try and beat him to the spot.
    He waited until they were most of the way out when he  (according to Bergman) calmly lit a cigarette.
    I did my best impression so they knew someone was already there.
    When they got there I made sure to take up as much of the sweet spot as possible.

I mean you show them a spot, explain how to fish it, give them flies and then they don't let you fish. WTF?
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/10 10:47:38 (permalink)
    Fish are like an illness to some folks- Some respond  wisely and with a touch of class and others act like azzhats.
    It can bring out the worst or the best.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/10 13:04:04 (permalink)
    2B- unfortunately it seems to be the way of the world these days.   

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/12 20:27:25 (permalink)
    Nice stories and humor guys. Honestly I remember spot saving going on in the middle/late 90's in the lfz. Maybe there were periods of semi solitude bit its always been pretty bad. It was often a last resort after all else failed kinda thing. Have to admit I've had some great days up there at least one from every moth its open through the years
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/13 04:45:49 (permalink)
    Dime if you get a chance take a peak at the crowds this afternoon (Tues) and report.
    I am coming up tomorrow and am trying to get a handle on where I want to go. 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/13 07:17:37 (permalink)
    Chartist will be waiting for you at the Altmar Hotel!
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/13 08:19:50 (permalink)
       Darn was that this week I thought it was next week. I guess I'll have to meet up with him another time.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/13 13:26:06 (permalink)
    uglyfish
       Darn was that this week I thought it was next week. I guess I'll have to meet up with him another time.

Maybe next year for me
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/13 14:07:47 (permalink)
    twobob
    Dime if you get a chance take a peak at the crowds this afternoon (Tues) and report.I am coming up tomorrow and am trying to get a handle on where I want to go.  

Not sure if I can swing it but will let you know if I do
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/13 15:44:09 (permalink)
    All I could hope for.
    Thank you.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Uncovered---Secrets of the tactical salmon "flyfisher"! 2015/10/13 19:22:13 (permalink)
    The troll patrol is OTW, you can get a report over a free beer!
    Jump to: