What Knot

Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
2015/10/09 10:40:22 (permalink)

What Knot

First time user long time angler; user of lead core, 18 lb to be precise and Cortland to be preciser.

My question, in hopes of getting a reliable response, deals with, what knot is best when tying lead core line directly to a swivel.
Also, does removing any of the lead wire pose a problem when knotting just the braided sheath? 

I've watched so many videos on all the different fishing knots, I can't remember which knot is used to tie my shoes!!!!!!!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

9 Replies Related Threads

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/09 10:54:33 (permalink)
    I always used a leader of mono attache'd to the leadcore with a willis knot. Never had a problem so I can't see any with just using the sheath to attach to the swivel
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/09 21:07:57 (permalink)
    BeenThere, I don't know how/why you'd want to tie your lead core directly to a swivel.  I've worked with this stuff for 3 summers now and the lead in that sheath breaks very easily.  Matter of fact, when I'm attaching leader I just take my thumb nail a press it into the line to sever the lead.  I then pull back the sheath a bit a remove that 7 to 8 inch piece of lead.  Now if I'm on the boat rockin and rollin, I'll tie my leader directly to the sheath using like a double surgeons or double overhand (same thing?).  But if I'm home doing this I take my leader end and feed it back into the sheath all the way up till it's touching, or close to touching the lead.  Use the same knots to secure this and that leader isn't going anywhere.  So I guess to answer your question, yes remove a piece of the lead interior then secure the braided sheath directly to your swivel with what, maybe a palomar?
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/09 23:05:56 (permalink)
    Thanks Pike and otasync; that rocking boat thing is my problem.  Tying a "willis knot" is no problem when I'm in my easy chair but, no way in a boat so, I'm thinkin a double swivel would be much easier to retie a leader if needed, using a clinch knot.  The braided line is my concern cause that stuff don't stretch and doesn't play well with just any knot.  I know the lead wire does nothing but add weight; removing the wire leaves a braided line.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/10 06:31:50 (permalink)
    my dipsy rods have braid and I attach that swivel-snap that goes to the diver with a palomar.  We used to struggle getting those dipsies to pop until we went to braid.  No stretch.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/10 10:18:16 (permalink)
    Gotcha on the "Palomar Knot" for braided and nice to know the knot has proven itself.  Man-o-man I made the mistake of searching You Tube for the best knot and I thought I was  before, watching some of those videos.

When tying a knot in lead core, it was always recommended to remove six to ten inches of the lead wire before tying.  After tying each knot ummmmmm..... 'trying to tie' each knot, some several times,  OK..... many times, I came to the conclusion that, my 35 yd spool of lead core line was now at 29 yards.

Thanks again for your input.

Angler's
                                                                          Guide
                                                                                         To
                                                                             Knot
                                                                                       Tying

101

PS.  It's all marco's fault.  
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/10/10 10:21:42

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/10 15:52:38 (permalink)
    you know what I do during the winter months.  I take an old jitter bug that I've removed the trebles from, go to my animated knots page and practice, practice, practice.  Also do this with 2 strands of line.  Practice, practice, practice.  Then when spring comes that arsenal of knots I had in my head is now gone and I'm back to the clinch and palomars.  lol.  Actually can do a surgeons and blood knot streamside too.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/10 19:52:17 (permalink)
    That's funny Pike I sure know the feeling.  By the time I get one knot tied with ease, I've forgotten the stupid name of the last one.    Like the idea of using an old lure for practice, that's what I do when I first set my lead core, I use an old hot-n-tot with no hooks to get the general line counter setting.  Don't catch fish that way but, I sure have reduced my lure losses.

Before I forget thanks for mentioning the Dipsy Divers using braided line, definitely will try that.

I'm not new to tying knots just, braided line and especially to lead core (marcos fault).   I am however, a bit gun shy when it comes to talking about knot tying, involving fishing line.  Stems from (keep this under your hat) my younger days just after being married.  The wife and I both enjoy fishing as did, many of her family members and some friends.  It was only natural, at get together's, to bring up subjects of fly tying, new gear, lures, and even what knot was better than another.  Well I had, mostly out of winter boredom, made up a knot board where I would glue the different knots along with the proper name of each.

Wellllllllll we were at a Pre-Christmas party-party being hosted at our house which was attended by friends and family members. The wine, beer and whiskey were flowing and as one would expect, the conversation turned to wishin we was fishin.  It was the wife who mentioned my new hobby and how I had used the board as a display.  Suddenly, from across the room, came the voice of my brother-in-law; "hey John, why don't you show everybody your knots"!  Jeeesh, I spent a loooooong time in the dog house over that misunderstanding.

Gotta go get ready for tomorrow, Pymie beckons............

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/11 00:40:26 (permalink)
    I've had my knots on a board a few times in my marriage.
    marco
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re: What Knot 2015/10/11 14:15:00 (permalink)
    I just cant stop laughing...I still don't know knots but sure is fun reading!!!!
    Jump to: