AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..111112113114115.. > >> Showing page 111 of 199
Author
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/06 21:05:45 (permalink)
uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/06 22:05:10 (permalink)
A positive DSR report. It's been along time time since we have seen one of those.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/07 07:29:55 (permalink)
Sorry to hear this, Pa.

Oak Orchard is reporting good fish movements into the stream , estimating they are about 2 weeks behind.  I agree HT, that your fish was dark, but there were some small early schools.  There have been reports of large concentrations, then they disappear, but if it is malnutrition affecting all this, it could happen earlier in the year as well, which would be consistent with low success in the Lake earlier.  My point is that, unless Dime is right and it is just really late (ironic that last year that was my line!), the 1.5 million stocked are not turning into a normal run so they had to disappear somewhere.  Maybe Chartist has enough money that he managed to put the fix in to hold the run off until he gets in next week (LOL!).

As to last year's chrome die-off, it was not the gill lice, and the DEC was certain that it was vitamin deficiency.  all samples analyzed were low in vitamin B, one fish submitted for tissue analysis was characterized by the pathologist as having vitamin levels consistent with a dead fish, and if it was alive when sampled, it would have been dead very soon.  Sick fish in the hatchery treated with Vitamin B recovered, the untreated control fish  continued to be sick.  With a repeat of winter conditions, I think we can only expect to see similar things this year, I hope I am wrong, and only time will tell, but they were sure that it was thiaminase induced thiamin deficiency that caused last year's die off. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/07 07:55:50 (permalink)
Not meaning to bomb this board but, it is called the "weather thread" and nobody I see blogging here or, on any other board, could have any more reason to feel "under the weather" than pafisher.

Pafisher getting your driver license pulled has to super suck for sure, so a quick and complete recovery is a must.  No.... make that a priority, so you may soon rejoin us on the waters.  Do keep us informed, your spirits high and, "never forget" we're pulling for ya!  

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/07 08:46:49 (permalink)
Lucky, everything I say on this matter usually includes an "if" or a "maybe"... Last year that bulk run never came which left me concluding that last year sucked. "If" they come like gang busters for a few days this year, then I'd say its a normal year. But can't refute tunas observations. Time will tell hopefully.

And yes jack, prayers are event for a speedy recovery my friend!!!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/07 08:48:37 (permalink)
Well, it is about climate change and fish LOL
AND since I'm stuck at home going stir crazy , I just cant stay away, or keep my trap shut, lol db.
Here is something I grabbed of a Lake site just posted today about the Lake Ontario Lake Trout,
you seem to be a 9-5er L-13 so I'll get you early:
 http://www.glfc.org/lakecom/loc/Lake%20Ontario_Lake_Trout_Strategy_Nov_2014.pdf

I also read somewhere yesterday (cant find it right now ) about a missive die off of chinooks in the spring that were spotted ..
As to the thiamine , Some facts were published such as the Y.O.U alewives were in a fragile, unhealthy state (factual)
some Opinions such as to many adult alewives (opinion)
A lack of emeralds (unknown) causing steelhead & trout to feed on alewives (healthy or not) thus infecting them with the B-1 deficiency (which I believe Randy Jones noticed this way back in the early fall last year ) (Fact)
 BTW, where are you Randy ? A report from you would be welcomed..

Lastly:
Jack, Be Well, spend time with family and friends and rest up for that river , be it steel this fall or Salmon next season, I WANT to fish together again !!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/07 09:09:57 (permalink)
 If you so chose not to read the entire article , here is an exert which is important :

RECENT TRENDS IN LAKE ONTARIO’S ECOSYSTEM
Invasive species: Since the late 1980s Lake Ontario has undergone a series of invasions by exotic species, notably the cladocerans Bythotrephes longimanus and Cercopagis pengoi, dreissenid mussels (zebra and quagga), and Round Goby (Stewart et al. 2014b). These invaders have contributed to significant ecosystem changes (see "Recent Trends in Lake Ontario Ecosystem-Lower Food Web" section). The impact of other recent invasive species, Echinogammarus ischnus (amphipod), Potamopyrgus antipodarum (New Zealand mud snail), Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia virus (VHSv), and Hemimysis anomala (mysid) are not well understood.
The Round Goby is closely linked to the Lake Trout life cycle by acting as both predator and prey. As predator, it can consume Lake Trout eggs and fry (Chotkowski and Marsden 1999; Fitzsimons et al. 2006). Round Goby has been observed in Lake Trout diets in recent years (Dietrich et al. 2006; Rush et al. 2012; B.F. Lantry, U.S. Geological Survey [USGS] Lake Ontario Biological Station, per. comm.; J. Markham, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation [NYSDEC] Lake Erie Unit, per. comm.). As an alternative to Alewife and Rainbow Smelt, Round Goby may mitigate thiaminase-related reproductive problems associated with Alewife consumption (see "Impediments – Egg and Fry Survival").
Lower food web: Lake Ontario water quality continues to improve; however, reduced phosphorus levels and reduced lower trophic level productivity have resulted in overall declines in ecosystem productivity (Mills et al. 2005; Stewart et al. 2014b) and piscivore carrying capacity. Since the early 1990’s the effect of reduced nutrients has likely been exaggerated by dreissenid proliferation, which is suspected as playing a role in increased water clarity, reduced phytoplankton size composition, changes in nearshore and offshore primary production, and a spring-time deepening of Alewife and smelt distributions (O'Gorman et al. 2000; Mills et al. 2005). The loss of the native burrowing amphipod Diporeia has also been linked to dreissenid proliferation (Dermott 2001; Lozano et al. 2001; Owens and Dittman 2003; Nalepa et al. 2005). Elrod and O’Gorman (1991) reported that Diporeia was an important food item for stocked Lake Trout during their first few months in the lake, and its loss may be linked to poor recruitment of stocked Lake Trout. The exotic predatory zooplankters Bythotrephes longimanus and Cercopagis pengoi potentially act as both competitors and prey to forage fish (Bushnoe et al. 2003; Warner et al. 2006), and their impacts on zooplankton and prey fish dynamics in Lake Ontario are not fully understood (Bushnoe et al. 2003; Kane et al. 2003; Laxson et al. 2003; Mills et al. 2005; Holeck et al. 2012; Stewart et al. 2014b).
Prey fish: Lake Ontario’s native prey fish species, including Slimy Sculpin and coregonids, are currently at low abundance levels or extirpated (Elrod 1983; Christie et al. 1987; Owens and Dittman 2003; Hoyle 2005; Lantry et al. 2007; Weidel et al. 2014). The native Deepwater Sculpin was once considered extirpated; however, increased abundance and distribution has been documented in recent years (Weidel et al. 2014; Lantry et al. 2014a). Non-native Alewife is the most abundant pelagic prey fish in Lake 10
Ontario, and dominates the diet of adult Lake Trout (Lantry 2001). Their abundance and biomass declined through the 1990s and remains low relative to pre-1990s levels (Walsh and Connerton 2014; Connerton et al. 2014). The decline is likely due to reduced lake productivity, heavy predation pressure, and poor recruitment over several years (1992-1997; Mills et al. 2005; Walsh and Connerton 2014). Rainbow Smelt (also non-native) abundance and biomass declined during the same time period and have remained at the lowest levels recorded for fifteen consecutive years (1999-2013; Weidel and Connerton 2014; Lantry et al. 2014a). Conversely, the Round Goby population has increased dramatically since it was first detected in bottom trawl assessments in 2002 (Weidel et al. 2014; Lantry et al. 2014b).
CURRENT
There are

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/07 18:50:44 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Not meaning to bomb this board but, it is called the "weather thread" and nobody I see blogging here or, on any other board, could have any more reason to feel "under the weather" than pafisher.

Pafisher getting your driver license pulled has to super suck for sure, so a quick and complete recovery is a must.  No.... make that a priority, so you may soon rejoin us on the waters.  Do keep us informed, your spirits high and, "never forget" we're pulling for ya!  

True that for Jack, get better buddy. If you need any info pm me. My business is stroke rehab so I deal with it every day. 
Hey, the winters harsh conditions may have caused this so I deem it ok for this thread.
I started the thread so blog away.  

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/09 09:24:26 (permalink)
Damp very damp.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/09 18:22:49 (permalink)
Rained hard last night and drizzled all day, it has definitely gotten colder

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/10 10:52:46 (permalink)
Thanks Clint, however It's been hinted that I get carried away at times.  I have NOoooo idea why anybody would think that about me????  

34`F. at my place this morning, had to cancel sitting in my 'high chair' due to the thick fog.  Sure is beautiful right now and I have no idea why I'm sitting inside typing on a this 'puter'.  

Combine working a bean field on the other side of my bayou so, I'm thinking this might be a good day (trying to be politically correct) to, "harvest" a deer with a stick.

Thanks again for the invite and tight lines.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/10 17:33:14 (permalink)
Here's a update on my travels.I am now in Ohio with my daughter andwill be going to rehab out here until I get the Okay to drive,have no idea how longthat will take.according to my local rehab people (the Good Shepherd rehab hospital in Allentown) I'm coming thru this in pretty good condition so I hope to be moving freely soon.Of course today I read of a good run of fish coming in but I can't do anything about it !
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/10 17:47:34 (permalink)
Thanks for the update jack . You can enjoy the weather and skipping the river wasn't terrible as I think you would have been discouraged.
Rehab up and get those wheels back :)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/10 20:01:18 (permalink)
Ditto what HT says and you certainly can do something about it; you can get well, get your driver's license reinstated and, tell us how you did the next time your out.

Many people wishin for ya to be fishin Jack, get well soon!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/10 21:54:44 (permalink)
Hot Tuna I must of missed something, am I correct, you too are under the weather?  If that's true I certainly want to cast well wishes to you also.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 08:42:27 (permalink)
Chilly start to the day, while we didn't dip below freezing, thank gosh as I still have to winterize the boat, it dropped to 34deg.. I'm sure some parts got into the freeze zones ..
Last night was a bit rough sleeping, yes BTDT, I been under the weather so to speak as well but as thy say, some things still must get done..
Looks like a nice warm up for today and I'm hearing of possible 80's ? again this week ?
While I'm an ice freak, I will take all the rays of sunshine it wants to give right now.. Much to do, little time to get it done..
Enjoy the day folks and Clint, catch a mess of fish to clean :)
maybe someone will take me and the grandson fishing for gills today ..  

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 09:09:40 (permalink)
pafisher
Here's a update on my travels.I am now in Ohio with my daughter andwill be going to rehab out here until I get the Okay to drive,have no idea how longthat will take.according to my local rehab people (the Good Shepherd rehab hospital in Allentown) I'm coming thru this in pretty good condition so I hope to be moving freely soon.Of course today I read of a good run of fish coming in but I can't do anything about it !

Jack, it was far worse last than last year as far as lack of fish and dense crowds. Though it was fun to see friends, the fishing was another matter.
You'll make it up with steelhead. We may just come visit you on the Erie creeks one of these days.
HT, if this non-driving thing goes much longer, I'd be glad to come down and go with you guys after whatever, gills are fine with me. ....   Healing wishes to both of you.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 11:03:27 (permalink)
Just read a news article predicting a warmer winter this year along the eastern part of the US.
Hope so- might be a decent break if there is to be less ice over after the past 2 years.
HOPE------
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 11:37:07 (permalink)
Getting ready for winter, dug my sweet potatoes (first try at those) and 100# of red potatoes. I have probably 120# for the family. Started putting stabile in all the summer stuff. We are taking my buddies boat out today  will fog that boat on the way out of the lake today. Hoping to get one more trip out in mine this year to run stabil and off that. If not I will do it in a garbage can.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 11:44:19 (permalink)
Waiting for a report on those sweet taters Clint, I'm thinkin some for next year.  Hope they turned out for ya.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 12:09:46 (permalink)
John the square foot per yield surprised me. I planted two plants and they vine out everywhere. Pretty much taking up a 6*8 area plus. The yield from the two plants was about 2 pounds. With a prolonged season the vines may have produced, but their runner roots were smaller than a pencil. I picked a few of the bigger ones to try. They were red. I broke one in half o the wife will try that one tonight.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 20:13:45 (permalink)
Weather was great, fishing on Oneida stunk for everyone I spoke to today unless you like Goby sandwiches.  I am Gobi wan Kenobi..........

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 20:32:43 (permalink)
Yea it was a beautiful day.. fishing was about the same here, gills just weren't biting but plenty of fun truing.. The kid caught 1 so not a total skunking..
Supposed to be even better tomorrow.. Probably go stir crazy stuck at home but think there re enough projects to keep me going.. May even play with the ice gear too

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/11 22:37:17 (permalink)
Thanks for info on the taters Clint, I'm preparing a spot this fall.  Been composting grass clippings for two years now and going to till all that in the garden.  I did quite well with two rows 20' long each for reds and russets this year.  Looking forward to sweet tater fries next year.  I keep expanding my spud garden I'm gettin me a tater plow, I can't imagine digging up the potatoes you did.

Good luck with your fishing.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/12 08:16:44 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thanks for info on the taters Clint, I'm preparing a spot this fall.  Been composting grass clippings for two years now and going to till all that in the garden.  I did quite well with two rows 20' long each for reds and russets this year.  Looking forward to sweet tater fries next year.  I keep expanding my spud garden I'm gettin me a tater plow, I can't imagine digging up the potatoes you did.

Good luck with your fishing.

Yea all by hand. Would not want to do many more. I am sure I missed a few too.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/12 08:25:30 (permalink)
That's the good thing about potatoes, if ya miss one, it'll be back next year!  (with  relatives no less)

Take care and enjoy them spuds.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/18 07:58:19 (permalink)
Well second morning at deer camp and snowing again . Cold as a wtchet tet up here on the mountain

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/18 08:32:35 (permalink)
Took my 96 yr. old Mom  on our annual leaf peeping tour, that usually goes over some mountain roads, and wanders about as whim takes us. It was a great tour, with dinner at a great country diner, and driving back over the last mountain  through a pretty good white curtain that accumulated a couple of inches by the time we went over the top. Before we left,  I snuck out for an hour or so in the trophy section of the Battenkill and  tricked one wild brown from underneath the banks, The leaves were not my friends; pretty much vegetable soup, but that's why I use a rubber legged crayfish thrown right against root wads and undercuts. Hope the leaves were as pretty everywhere else. Spectacular in my neck of the woods. Feels like steelhead weather.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/18 08:33:48 (permalink)
some more....

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/18 08:53:03 (permalink)
Snowing is an understatement, we have at least 4 inches on the ground with more coming down.

Page: << < ..111112113114115.. > >> Showing page 111 of 199
Jump to: