AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..106107108109110.. > >> Showing page 109 of 199
Author
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/02 08:18:01 (permalink)
Jack great to hear from ya. We're all routing for you!!!
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/02 09:33:00 (permalink)
Get well soon Jack.
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/02 12:01:17 (permalink)
Jack
Sorry you couldn't make it  this year.
I'll have to fish with you next year.

As for standing on my shoulders.
I never met up with Fichy or Tuna.
I was in my usual spot #18.
Walked the loop on my way to the bathroom and never saw Vermont plates.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/02 12:48:38 (permalink)
Never met ya pafisher, but certainly have read your post.  Just wanted to swing by, wish you well and, Godspeed to a full recovery.  

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/02 19:30:39 (permalink)
Get well soon Jack!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/02 20:38:45 (permalink)
Just got back and great to read that your posting Jack . While we missed you dearly and wish you a speedy recovery, you missed NOTHING fishing wise.
I never even had a fish on . It is very , VERY dismal fishing wise , there just ain't fish despite what some are saying . While I didn't fish last year , this was by FAR
The worst I have seen , sorry Db.

As for 2 bob. I seen your tent set up and when I got in weds night at 7:30 to fichy's site and there were no signs of life on 18 .Last night we got back from fishing around 8:00'and again it was a dark tent site. A fellow board member stopped over to hang by the fire and I'm pretty sure it was after 1 am when we turned in 😀, up at 5 am .
No VT plates only NY and the site a-32 was conveyed, I thought .
Hope the fishing fared better on your end.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/02 21:43:00 (permalink)
Ditto on the fishing- More hype than fish- one of those times where ya really really gotta be in just the right lucky spot at the right time to even see a  few moving along.
Think its startin  to get a bit questionable  for an old fashioned 'run' =perhaps some pods or a bit of a push or two but a strong run of days on end or repeated big pushes would be a real nice surprise right about now.
Whats being grasped by folks as a run beginning last week is no more than a couple of pods moving along and spreading in the river IMHO.
 Good luck Jack--
twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 03:59:43 (permalink)
So then was it you hanging by the fire when all the new campers woke me up and I wandered around your way to the bathroom?
Went that way looking for plates.
Heard someone say something about someone walking by.

Somehow I thought 33 so when I didn't see VT plates at 32 or 36 I didn't want to bother anyone.

Fishing was marginal at best.
Really thought the upper would be holding those small cohos.
A decent amount went thru lower about 1 o'clock Wed.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 05:05:46 (permalink)
So Thursday evening Douglaston had a push, and then Friday AM there was nothing, those fish just evaporated?  I think a lot of them are making it from the estuary to 2a at least in one push in the dark.  And from what I saw last year once they hit the middle to upper river, they disappear for the guys used to watching for backs and fins in the clam shack stretch, pods of 15-20 just slightly change the standing wave patterns of the runs with deeper slots in the center.  Anybody walk into Sportsman's or downstream?  Or, it's just late again, or they're on the bottom of the lake.  But they have fish for egg take, so something is sliding through when the gauntlet is closed for the night.

Still another week to Columbus Day, and my recollection is that was always the peak of the run in the old days, although I do remember a lot of great fishing in September.  Listening to these reports, I'm glad I didn't burn any vacation, I'm going to need that paycheck as a cushion after I hang up the yoke and before the first pasture check comes.  But I'm also questioning whether I should have bought a hunting license, as if the Salmon run is this dismal this year, I'm worried that we'll see round ii of the Vitamin deficiency chromers.  May end up doing my late fall in Ithaca!
post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/10/03 05:10:12
twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 05:38:14 (permalink)
People also used to seeing kings slowly moving and holding  barely notice tin y cohos which have been the bulk of the run to date.

As for late fall I'm am considering a trip west for a reprobates gathering (people from as far away as Cal and Austria) for three days based at Elk.
Hard to miss the chance to meet people from that far away so close to home.
The fishing here is the only thing stopping me.
If it suxs I may abandon ship Nov 5-6-7.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 08:53:45 (permalink)
Looking at the thread, it sounds like the bunch of reprobates that raped Sandy Creek a few years ago.  They should be aware that folks out in that neck of the woods can get really "reactive" to out of state plates lately.  Having seen the pix of the crowds on the Elk, and knowing the price of an out of state Pennslytucky license, I'll pass. Of course, I may not be able  to fish NYS either, as after another try at JV, I still have been unable to buy a license.  I think if they can't get it fixed soon, they should declare free fishing until it is working properly!

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 08:54:24 (permalink)
L-13,
There was NO push of kings thurs eve in DSR . We stayed until about 7 pm in the joss and could see down to the spring . When people are just standing in the flat pocket water and not fishing for hrs on end its kind of an indication of what's happening .
Also , when the DSR sells out everyday ( at least the 3 I was there ) and by 1:00 there is only about 15-20 cars in the lot and near quitting time there is about 7 , it's another sign of how great the fishin ain't .
We looked at a lot of water in 2 days and IMO , it's pretty disappointing at what " should " be there isn't..
Hate to keep saying the same thing but from being on the Lake every week and talking to charters and boaters at my marina , the lake is in a very bad state right now.

You do know that the Feds stocked an extra 300,000 lake trout . Why ? What benefit would this have on the fishery ?
Now here is my theory:
1. The goby.. The goby are so out of control and over taking that the hope is Lakers will be the predators to control them.
2. There is a realization that salmon are in trouble and this is a way to keep the fishery viable
3. And this is probably the biggest : It is federally funded to restore the natural fish species ( special interest) . Lake trout will reproduce, grow very large from gobies and live a very long time . Unlike a salmon which require continual stocking at a very high cost , the lake trout does not .

If anyone doesn't know , Lake trout are NOT stocked in Lake George .' They reproduce naturally there and there are TONS of them that compared to other adk lakes , grow very large. While it's a snob lake in the summer , it's invaded by every average Joe in the winter for lakers . Hordes of people fish for them on ice just for that reason .

Now I don't understand the thought for them increasing the stocking on Ontario other then invasive control . They MUST be reproducing naturally and are not really the prime target
for the charters but yet charters are having no choice but to so they can put clients on fish . Is there a push to make them the target species at a reduced management cost ? Maybe . If that does materialize, it could be the beginning of the end. I personally don't see charters surviving on a lake trout fishery for that water body.

Oh well , that's just my opinion and as we all know , everyone has one too
My salmon season is over and I hope to make it out at least once for steelhead but it seems every year I get further distanced from the SR . Maybe it's a good thing as I'm sure others do as well and in turn will reduce the sheer number of crowds so those that remember what the river used to be in the winter before will once again
Peace & Tuna
Be well Jack , see you next season 😀

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 10:01:31 (permalink)
Had several on the River say they are likely finished with SR.
Too much effort and vacation and money for little return right now.
Andy hit that one just right.
IMHO if this is the Thiamine issue-IF- it has certainly affected several upcoming year classes of fish.
IF that's true we are in for a few more like last and this.
Heck- even if they stock the same numbers, the 48% of returning kings from 'natural repro isn't happening.
Even with the help of softer Winter icing  it may be a while before things are again 'normal'.
At 68 aint even sure if I will see it.
A crashed system takes a few fish life cycles to come back.
HOPE to be proven wrong.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/10/03 10:03:51
uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 10:38:01 (permalink)
I think it is for a lot of people saying that are from the time the water was low water and lots of fish and they got spoiled catching fish after fish. Now you have to put a little work in instead of catching a few then having a 12 pack before lunch. I understand the time and money thing but that's the problem now a days everyone wants a guarantee kind of like everyone getting a trophy thing and every game ends in a tie . Granted we all want to catch fish but it always doesn't work out that way.the way I see it is put the time and efforts in and the reward is far larger. Good luck to who ever gets out there.
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 10:39:43 (permalink)
Well at least i missed nothing but Company. Up here it is marginal at Best with a few crappies every Day and night. The Wind has been downright brutal keeping us Close to Home and Onkyo in Places out og The Wind

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/03 10:58:26 (permalink)
HT,

It would be possible for a push of kings to go through the lower clay at sunset, and you would not see them  at Joss.  But I agree, if rods of your and Fichy's experience are not getting bit, there is a lack of fishes, and something dire seems to be happening.  I am confident that the biologists are watching all this carefully as well.

As to the Lakers,  there has been a large redux in past years due to the Federal Hatchery problem, but now that that is back on line, are you sure the increase is not just a return to prior levels?  It is a priority to restore the native species of the lake, but the Fish Community Objectives still call for the mix of species that is being introduced now.  Numbers are determined based on what are thought to be adequate prey to support the stocked populations, with natural reproduction the wildcard they are trying to get a handle on.  But the alewife base may be overstressed, and looking at prey abundance data  and relating that to ice cover and persistence plots does seem to implicate the harsh winters we've seen lately.  The gobies have been indicated to be an important new prey fish when the thermal regime of salmonids and the goby overlap, but that is mainly in the spring,  By summer the lakers need  deeper, colder water than the gobies, and the gobies are bottom oriented, while the Salmon are out roaming the pelagic zone, hunting the alewives, as are the lakers, just lower in the water column.

Word lately is that some of the western tribs have had good pushes in response to this recent rain.  Last year, there were no problems reported on the Canadian side, and there were few reports out west.  This would also fit the "bad winter- overstressed alewife-high thiaminase- increased salmonid mortality" theory, as the ice cover is much less persistent or extensive in the western lake than it is from Mexico Bay North.

Let's just hope for a nice mild El Nino winter or 5 , with lots of rain in California so we have something to eat next year while we're waiting for the fish to, maybe, come back
post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/10/03 11:08:59
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 06:28:40 (permalink)
A couple of other points:

Lake trout have been documented to be reproducing in Lake Ontario, but in extremely small numbers, another by-product of the Thiaminase in the alewife.  If they were ever successful at getting enough successful spawning to maintain the population, they would reduce or even end stocking.  Ditto for Atlantic Salmon.  Because these are the only native cold water top level predators, restoration of them is an indicator that restoration of the lake is working, maintenance of exotic species introduced originally primarily for alewife control only tells the scientist that the lake will support fish, not that the problems that caused the fishery to collapse in the 50's are fixed.  And who is the special interest group here, there are a lot of people who have interests in the lake other then the charter community, or even the larger angler community.  

The folks who are in charge of the fishery for NYSDEC, and in partnership with USGS Biological Resources Division, OMNR (remember, this is not just a NYS Lake) are not some sneaky bunch out there tweaking the knobs on their control panel for a Frankenstein monster they can use to advance some hidden agenda for  "special interests".  These men and women are hard working dedicated scientists, extremely devoted to their work.  I am privileged to have gotten to know many of them over the years, and they are not "wacko environmentalists" with some "hidden agenda."  They want to see maximum "return on investment,"  but they also don't want to see the kind of collapse that happened a few years back in the upper lakes, although we may be witnessing that now.  And they warned the angling community back as far as the Fisheries Congress that maintenance of the kind of high stocking numbers (of Kings especially) that the true "special interest," the charter industry," demanded, could lead to a situation where the alewife populations collapsed or were greatly reduced, which in turn could lead to a collapse of the cold water pelagic fishery.  The indicator that this could be happening was predicted to be the perch populations , which increase in proportion to reduction in alewife predation on the perch fry when the alewife populations are down, and the perch are back along the north coast.  This is also the point behind the cisco and bloater experiments, attempts to reestablish native prey populations that could either supplement of substitute for the alewife, and are hoped to grow into viable alternative prey populations if the alewife crashes catastrophically. It would be great if they could turn a knob or open a valve, and more magic fish food entered the system and everything got good again, but as RG notes, these things take time to work though a system this large.  It may be that the way to get the fishery back to where it was is to cut the king stocking significantly for a few years, see if the wild fish fill some of that gap, and see if the prey numbers go back up.  But I can hear the hue and cry from the charter industry now, most of them would double the stocking even if it meant 10 lb kings were monsters, as happened in Lake Michigan.

I know I have said it before, but they lay all their cards on the table, they are required to by the Great Lakes Fisheries Commission, and you can see the hand at  http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lopublic2012.pdf.  AND I know they are long and dense, but the 2014 report is up on the biologists report tab under Lake Ontario reports, has all the stocking numbers, prey results, the only thing that didn't make the report was the investigation into the steelhead mortality, and that is ongoing work.

L13
post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/10/04 06:34:35
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 10:15:14 (permalink)
As always Lucky your informed insight is educational. One might ask if the Steel mortality study is generally indicative of all gamefish issues as opposed to one species.
 Personally  think it is as its what seemed to be the source of the Thiamine ( sp) issue discovery last year which seems to be  causing the general die off.
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 10:47:03 (permalink)
Lake Michigan biologists are saying that the declining alewife population is causing a dramatic decline in the the salmon in the lake.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 12:28:55 (permalink)
Welp I made it home and luckily at that. Going up we made the entire trip WITH THE TRAILER LATCH UP.
 The wind was BRUTAL and I had very limited fishing spots, but we managed  a few crappie so all was good. There were a few sketchy rides back in.  of course the lake was lying down nicely when I drove the bot to the launch this am. One of the other guys latched up the trailer and of course. First bump THE TRAILER COMES OFF THE HITCH.  Luckily only one small nick  in the in the rubber bumper guard and a bent winch handle. There were also three pairs of underpants left on the side of the road.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 14:13:26 (permalink)
Glad to hear you got home safe and got at least a few fish. Clint.

As to the effects of a declining bait population, it is only simple arithmetic.  If the food supply drops, numbers of predators has to drop, and if fishermen clamor for more and more stocking, they invariably get smaller and/or less if the chow ain't there.  Huron collapsed completely, and the NYS biologists monitor the prey populations with an eye toward maintaining the predator/prey balance so this fishery does not collapse on that basis.  But the condition of the prey is also important and the thiaminase created in the alewife as a result of stresses makes it impossible for the fish to get the Vitamin B necessary for lots of different metabolic processes, and, as we saw last year, the deficiency can even result in mortality.  If we have another bad winter, and another dismal season, it would seem pretty clear, and it was my sense that that was they way the DEC toxicologist and USGS's Brian Weidel were leaning when queried at the SOL in Rochester last year.   If we have a good winter, and the season bounces back next year, same correlation.

As to Alewife numbers, they are about half of what they were at the peak.  Look at the charts in the section on prey species in http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lorpt14.pdf   Section 12.  Alewife abundance and weight indices have reduced greatly since the 80's.  And  a large rise in yearling numbers, as in 2013, is meaningless if the yearlings don't make it through the winter, or they are so loaded with thiaminase that they knock down the predators eating them.  The king, because it is almost totally focused on herring as food, and the alewife is currently the only significant herring population in the lake, is the natural control mechanism for the alewife population; if numbers of prey are down, reduce numbers of kings stocked, if they are up, increase king stocking.  I'm not sure they actually have been able to do that because of the pressure to put more fish in, or at least maintain levels at what they ended up at after this debate first surfaced in the 90's after Tom Joliff's paper, and the natural reproduction of kings may be a monkey wrench in the machine, a more influential variable than it was projected to be. 

It would be interesting to hear what a diver would find out off the mouth of the river, or in the deeper holes of the estuary.  Reports of plentiful marks on the fish finders, and no run, the bottom might be littered with carcasses that were too B deficient to complete the metamorphosis from eating machines to spawning machines, or didn't have enough energy to even try ascending those first easy riffles. 

post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/10/04 14:25:24
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 14:26:19 (permalink)
Hey L-13
I been a little under the weather and thanks for the great reading material and insight .
I know you attend the SOL meetings and probably hear the charters screaming for more salmon. I have only been listening to them from " their " side and arguments.
One of which is they " claim " the alewives are far more abundant then the trawls produce. Their claim is the trawls are using the same grids since the beginning and the alewives are now more diversed away from those grids so the trawls are not getting accurate results. Again , these are "their " claims .
As for my "special interests " comment.
I truly believe some groups use "Natural & resurrection " as a tool to get federal funding to support their interest.
Some groups got to extreme to save or restore habitat of something that was decimated, sometime at the expense of what has become established, such as a fishery
Ah , well thanks again and keep the good info coming . Do you mind if I share this information with others as you have with us ?
I have to sign off for awhile as my head hurts again and it's not from here.
Peace & Tuna
post edited by hot tuna - 2015/10/04 14:32:17

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 14:59:15 (permalink)
The Alewife is a pelagic fish, it is not oriented toward any structure except when it comes in to spawn, the schools disperse out over deep water based on desired temperature and feed on plankton.  The trawl methods have been run through quality assurance procedures to gauge representativeness and uncertainty of the measurements, and they are also doing hydroacoustics and modifying that to pick up alewife schools near the surface that they could have been missing and therefore undercounting.  But the indices done by every method say the alewives were down in 2014, and they are also way down by the long term picture.

The "huge" early runs of a few years ago were at similar numbers of everything stocked with the exception of the lake trout redux, and the glitches with some steelhead and cohos.  Increasing salmon stocking without a surer sense of how much bait is out there, and based on what some one with a nest to feather reports they see on a graph screen would be reckless at best, and could lead to the entire system collapsing as happened in Huron.  If it is an additional 500K kings needed to make everybody happy, happy, happy, they put in 1.9 million in 2014, so that went up significantly (making  up for losing so many cohos, and a big chunk of chrome as well.)

I'm only explaining what I think is logical, and I don't know for sure, and I'm pretty sure DEC doesn't for sure either, but they are using the best science available to try to find out.  But if there is a ton of food out there, and they stocked a million and a half kings in 2012, and there is another  mess produced in the SR by natural reproduction, where are they?  Or, maybe I should think like last year, and just say they're just late.  And as I reported yesterday, there are fish showing up down here on the western part of the lake, which also correlates to the distribution of prey that they find on the trawls, and the severity of the ice formation.  So I'm all ears for anything else based on some kind of data.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 15:55:21 (permalink)
I have been hearing also that The Ho's are much smaller this year too. I read here????? Or somewhere else and the ones I have seen in pic's have looked smaller

twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 16:06:22 (permalink)
Allo this is well and good but the real question is, I thought with all fichy's mention of Orvis Manchester and the Battenkill he was a VT resident.
Also is he still going to be camping when I get back up this Wed?
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 16:15:00 (permalink)
Love catching big colored up Hos- not happening in the past couple of years- even in the big King runs- all cookies on my rod. Yea there were likely a few here and there but not like a few short years ago.
The lifted ones I saw in this past trip were cookies.
That's Ok- they were decent fish and if that's what to be- OK- but it aint like before.( sounds like a Steel story)
twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 16:44:08 (permalink)
Saw a pic of one taken in a trib a bit north of SR that was claimed to be 22 recently.
Would have taken near a dozen of the ones I saw to weigh that much.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 16:58:53 (permalink)
Charlie is leaving the campground weds . He lives on the NY/VT border

uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 17:00:07 (permalink)
He is leaving I believe Wedneday morning. Weren't too far from VT but in NY. He has no access to the board while out there that's why I'm answering for him.
twobob
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/10/04 18:11:56 (permalink)
Thanks guys.
At least I understand +why I didn't see VT plates.
Wish I had realized it last week.

By the way if you see the old tent with the with the holes from varment teeth in the rain fly feel free to stop by.
I sack out earlier than the old days but it never hurt to knock on the door. 
Page: << < ..106107108109110.. > >> Showing page 109 of 199
Jump to: