Float Rod

Author
fish whisper
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 529
  • Reward points: 0
2012/07/31 10:51:17 (permalink)

Float Rod

Bought my first pin reel last year a Raven Matrix Special edition love it. However, I wanted to come used to it on a regular noodle rod before whipping around a 15 foot rod just starting out. Now I'm looking for something between 13 and 15 feet that is light weight, not too flimsy, and would work good with drifting egg sacks and using small jigs, any good preferences? I'm budgeting under 250, any help would be great. Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    Re:Float Rod 2012/07/31 15:35:12 (permalink)
    Theres not much to choose from in your price range. Probably the best budget rod you could buy would be the shimano claurus other then that you dont have to many options.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    Re:Float Rod 2012/08/13 01:50:51 (permalink)
    If you can find a crappie rod in that length try it if it feels decent.  I used one the first winter in Erie and it worked fine.  Mine was an 11 foot model but I think they build them longer.  B & M would be one of the brands I would try along with Uncle Buck's.  They are no where near the quality of a good float rod and are a lot heavier but give one a try.  Should be well under $100.  Once you find what you like move on up.
    cal63
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Float Rod 2015/09/30 20:44:05 (permalink)
    High fish whisper, Check out the : St. Croix Avid Salmon & Steelhead Centerpin Rods (AVS110LM2) 11'0 rod on Fish Usa, I am planning on this rod to purchase in the near future, read the reviews and there were a couple of pin fisherman that gave it good reviews. I currently own an okuma pin rod and it is 13'6", it is a nice rod in my opinion, but, a little longer than I want for fishing like elk creek and the erie tribs. I wanted a shorter rod for this and found this on Fish Usa Web site. It is priced at $260.00, plus tax, but seems like a good rod. Maybe you get a chance you can check it out. Not sure where you are fishing! Hope this helps! 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re:Float Rod 2015/09/30 22:13:43 (permalink)
    Umm....... Cal I see your new here, so if I may, before you respond to a thread read the fine print at the top of the page.  (Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:51 AM)  I'm thinkin' ya might be a bit late.

BUT ya can't go wrong with FISHUSA as far as I'm concerned. I ordered stuff this past Sunday evening and had it in my hands by 1:15 pm Tuesday.  I think the prices are competitive and they offer free shipping on orders over $50.00.

If ya subscribe to their letter, you'll find some really good deals, almost daily.

If I haven't already, permit me to welcome you to the forums.

I'm the local "jack of all trades, master of none" guy who enjoys both; entertaining some and, irritating others.
    I graduated from the "University of Street Smart/Block-wise" where I earned a degree in "Dazzling Them With Brilliance or Baffling Them With Bull ----".

I can attest you will learn from reading on these boards as there is many accomplished anglers hanging around willing to help.  Also, you'll find many of these accomplished fisherman look for new ideas and techniques and will appreciate any help you may have to contribute, such as you just tried.

Speaking of attesting, I for one can certainly lay claim to making mistakes while practicing to keep my self-appointed position as a comedian, from going in the !

Til next time, tight lines. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

cal63
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Float Rod 2015/09/30 22:59:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Been there done that! Yea I will have to do a better job with the date thing! Appreciate the help, don't know everything, just trying to help! But thanks alot for the info, I will pay attention more!
    Jump to: