Helpful ReplySteelie and Brown Flies

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Divemaster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 744
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/02 20:50:30 (permalink)
H3Fisher
In the creeks globugs and minnow imitation. Very light tippet, waters been clear. Lost a couple this past weekend on small beadhead nymphs also.

Conditions are ruff. If you can try to holdoff till day after rain.

Thanks! How light is light, 5, 4, 3X? I've been using plain 6 lb trilene fluorocarbon the past few times, is that light enough or should I go smaller?
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 07:37:32 (permalink)
I've had days with low clear water that changing from 6lb to 4lb seemed to make a big difference. Won't help your chances of landing fish though! Hope your reel has a good drag and your knots are sound.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 08:25:39 (permalink)
When using floro tippet make sure you wet your knots before you cinch them down. I was having problems landing fish (breaking off) with 5x (3.7 lb) tippet. I was being lazy and not wetting them. Will only go to 4lb if I absolutely have to. Good fresh chrome can beat you up with out a good drag and good knots.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 08:47:02 (permalink)
bingsbaits
When using floro tippet make sure you wet your knots before you cinch them down. I was having problems landing fish (breaking off) with 5x (3.7 lb) tippet. I was being lazy and not wetting them. Will only go to 4lb if I absolutely have to. Good fresh chrome can beat you up with out a good drag and good knots. 
you'll only go down to 4lb? Or up to 4lb?
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 09:23:36 (permalink)
bingsbaits

Bings nailed it -
With the light line you must wet it first or they will fail. Had it happen to me as well and finally caught on when I noticed they were breaking off at the knot and not below it last year.

Also, I use a 10lb leader and attach tippet as needed. I don't buy the spools 3x,5x or what ever. I just buy normal 2,4,6,10lb fluro and put them on smaller spools. You can buy the small spools for 99 cents at walmart with junk mono - Pull that mono off and then spool the good line on using a drill. You're paying the same for 100-250 yards of good fluro as most tapered leaders cost and you're not lugging around big spools of line.

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 09:30:46 (permalink)
I use Seagar Ivis-x in 8lb, 6lb, and 4lb for my tippet. $18 for 250 yards of tippet. Spool on to smaller spools like H3 says. Saves alot of money.

BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2131
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 09:35:33 (permalink)
Use Nose grease to wet your line when making a knot. Take your thumb and fore finger and rub the grease out of the side of your nose. Rub the grease onto your knot before cinching. No joke, works like a charm.

BH
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 10:13:07 (permalink)
Thanks for the tips. I know first hand how important wetting knots is, used to have tons of break offs in my early days if fishing before I learned that trick.

As far as line and Tippet goes, I've been using a bit of an unconventional setup. I have my floating fly line attached to a big loop (made of 12 lb mono) with what I think is a nail knot. And then I just tie 6-8' of tippet directly to that loop and skip a leader because the tippet is already too long haha. And then from the tippet obviously any terminal tackle such as floats, slitshot and the fly. Do you guys see anything wrong with that setup?
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 10:25:18 (permalink)
If I'm reading that right, I like my flies to be more than 8' from my fly line.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 10:28:07 (permalink)
FishinGuy
If I'm reading that right, I like my flies to be more than 8' from my fly line.

How far would you say then? I'm more used to fly fishing for wild brook trout where 6-10' between the line and fly seems to work the best (for me, anyway).
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 10:41:13 (permalink)
My setup is as follows:

6 inch section of 20lb orange amnesia line connected to Fly line with Loop 2 Loop connection.

About a 3-4foot section of 12 to 10lb leader connected to the amnesia line with loop connection.

Then I run about a 3 to 5 foot section of my tippet using a double surgeon knot (I think thats what its called). If I;m running a tandem setup I'll use 3 foot and about a foot between 1st fly and 2nd fly. If single fly I'll use about a 5 foot section of tippet.

Keep your indicator on the leader this way you'll save them most of the time if you break off or snag up on a rock or tree.
Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 11:17:30 (permalink)
I'll have to try that this time and see if it works any better. Are you using all fluorocarbon for both your leader and tippet? Also you said to keep the float on the leader but if it's another 5' between it and the fly wouldn't that be too long for around here?
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 11:21:54 (permalink)
I use a tapered regular trout leader with a loop to loop connection to my flyline. Cut it to about 6' and then add 3-5 feet of tippet depending on whether I'm running a double rig or not.  

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 11:24:25 (permalink)
BloodyHand
Use Nose grease to wet your line when making a knot. Take your thumb and fore finger and rub the grease out of the side of your nose. Rub the grease onto your knot before cinching. No joke, works like a charm.

BH

So you are saying a "Snot Knot" is the way to go....Hmmmmm.

H3Fisher
Expert Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 11:35:24 (permalink)
Divemaster
I'll have to try that this time and see if it works any better. Are you using all fluorocarbon for both your leader and tippet? Also you said to keep the float on the leader but if it's another 5' between it and the fly wouldn't that be too long for around here?

I tried Mono, but didn't care for it too much stretch. I user fluro for both. And I'll adjust as needed. I don't always put the indicator on the main leader, but in snag prone areas I will.

You can also add the flyline float gel to your leader if you don't want it sinking into the water. Doesn't last long but works.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/03 12:25:02 (permalink)
I normally use a 9' 8lb mono or flouro tapered leader to a micro swivel, 3-5' of flouro tippet after that.
post edited by FishinGuy - 2015/12/03 12:34:14
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2131
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/04 09:51:07 (permalink)
bingsbaits
BloodyHand

BH

So you are saying a "Snot Knot" is the way to go....Hmmmmm.

No No No. Not in side your nose, get the grease from the outside of your nose. Call it a " Nose Not " not a " Snot Not "..............LOL

BH
Chris Johnson
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 321
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/04 20:59:26 (permalink)
BloodyHand
Use Nose grease to wet your line when making a knot. Take your thumb and fore finger and rub the grease out of the side of your nose. Rub the grease onto your knot before cinching. No joke, works like a charm. BH

Nose grease works good for removing the head off of a beer too. Not dripping sweat and a glob of goo, just a very small amount that you can barely feel between your fingers. Wipe the outside of your nose and touch it to the head.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
~Tom Waits

Divemaster
Expert Angler
Re: Steelie and Brown Flies 2015/12/05 17:19:13 (permalink)
Anyone else fish today? We hit east side Tribs for 9 hours without so much as a hit. Saw a total of one fish out of all three creeks. Worked middle sections, mouths, and in the lake a bit with flies (buggers, glo bugs, scrambled eggs, and streamers), spoons, inline spinners, CP swings, and single eggs. Going to try some different ones tomorrow, hopefully we have better luck.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: