Helpful ReplyErie Tribs

Author
Hobart121
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2015/09/15 23:31:55 (permalink)

Erie Tribs

Hello all, this will be my first year fishing the erie tibs. Any advice for a novice steelheader? I'll mainly be fishing with fly rod and a center pin rig. Thanks for any advice!
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/16 00:05:19 (permalink)
8 wt fly rod, tippet 2-5x depending on water clarity and fly size, find yourself a good emerald shiner pattern (i tie one with bead chain eyes, pearl diamond braid body, white marabou tail, pearl flashabou, and peacock herl), wooly buggers in black, white, purple, olive, sucker spawns, eggs, some nymphs ( in particular, stoneflies, prince nymphs, caddis', also look upthe miracle nymph). Also, get yourself a good pair of polarized sunglasses.

Familiarize yourself with the Walnut and Brandy Run (for Elk) usgs water gauges, as to what conditions data may represent. Ideally, I like water with a slight bit of a tint. This allows the fish to see your fly, while not giving it quite as much of an opportunity to evaluate it and turn away at the last second. This isnt to say you cant catch fish in low and clear conditions, however, in fact, most of my fishing over the years has been in low and clear conditions, realistically, if youre an out of towner, like me, you gotta take whatever your given, for the dates of your limited number of trips.

And, lots of great people on this website willing to help, dont take it personally if someone bashes you or messes with you, just a bit of fun. A few years back, it was almost impossible to post without starting a flame war with someone, but theyve done a great job of cleaning things up.

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Hobart121
New Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/16 02:01:42 (permalink)
The bashing can't be any worse then the site I belonged to salmoncrazy. Things were way outta control on that site. On another note thanks for the advice.
johncerm
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/16 04:35:44 (permalink)
AVOID CROWDS,try to find places and days when it's not so crowded,it's not easy.
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/16 08:08:47 (permalink)
JTFM summed it up pretty well.

You'll learn more each time you go up! Also remember, just cause you don't see fish... doesn't mean they're not there.

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/16 08:52:17 (permalink)
Here's a post from way back that should be of some help to you

http://forums.fishusa.com...-2008/?high=the+basics
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/16 09:49:23 (permalink)
Been on salmoncrazy b4 this site has been worse at times not bad lately but its early yet.
Creeks are small here but fishing can be great if you figure out how to avoid the crowds.
Water goes up a down quickly pay attention to water gages and and what you see on the creeks makes it easier to plan in the future.
Plenty of guys using pin rods but they are not necessary a lightweight noodle is best way to go IMO.

Good luck...WCW
Hobart121
New Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/16 14:26:50 (permalink)
Lot of good info thanks
SCaveNJ
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/16 23:39:14 (permalink)
I'm an out of towner too, and still consider myself in the learning stage, so I may not be the best source of information.  I will say that what has been provided thus far is very good intel.  Overall there is a ton of great information on this site and lots of helpful people.

Some other things that will help you to get up to speed are downloading the maps that are available on this site: www.fisherie.com/Maps

One note on the maps - use them as rough guidelines.  I'm not sure how often they get updated and unfortunately each year more and more previously accessible water gets posted as private property.  Just because the map says you can fish it, doesn't mean it is still allowed.

This is a five part series, and I found it very helpful when learning about the Erie Steelhead Experience:
http://dharmaofthedrift.blogspot.com/2010/09/lake-erie-steelhead-fishing-primer-part.html

Uncle John's Webcam is fun to look at during the season for water levels, snowfall, and ice buildup:
www.unclejohnselkcreekcamp.com/webcam-3

Hope you find some of this useful.  Good luck and keep hanging around here.  Lots to learn by osmosis.

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/17 00:24:19 (permalink)
Get a copy or find a copy at the library of A Steelhead Guide by John Nagy, the greatest steelhead fisherman in the world ever.  Any edition.  There's been several.    All you need to know, as far as fly fishing the Erie tribs.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/17 08:54:53 (permalink)
http://www.johnnagysteelheadguide.com/2009/08/dos-and-donts-of-fall-steelheading.html

SORRY.........!   Trout dudes.............                The Devil Makes Me Do IT 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/17 09:18:38 (permalink)
The power of the steelhead gods compels you 

Pro Staff:

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/17 10:36:38 (permalink)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/17 19:16:07 (permalink)
johnthefisherman
find yourself a good emerald shiner pattern (i tie one with bead chain eyes, pearl diamond braid body, white marabou tail, pearl flashabou, and peacock herl),

You got a picture of this? Kind of interested, not the best tier so I like visual aid before I try a pattern

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/17 21:11:06 (permalink)
kill3ducks1deer
johnthefisherman
find yourself a good emerald shiner pattern (i tie one with bead chain eyes, pearl diamond braid body, white marabou tail, pearl flashabou, and peacock herl),
You got a picture of this? Kind of interested, not the best tier so I like visual aid before I try a pattern

The top one is the pattern I was referring to, and under that is what it looks like when it gets wet (hence why I like marabou so much, it clumps together, and forms sort of a tail in the water, with great action). The one on the bottom is the crystal minnow by Don Dfishinfool Matthews, another great tie. 

I may put up a video of how I tie it on my youtube channel. 
post edited by johnthefisherman - 2015/09/17 21:22:26

Pro Staff:

kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/17 22:37:07 (permalink)
I was having trouble trying to figure out where the ostrich was at, but that looks really good. What size do you normally tie them, I am guessing around a 6 or 8?

Hobart121
New Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/18 03:20:58 (permalink)
That looks good
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/18 15:43:18 (permalink)
I tie those on size 6-10 mustad streamer hooks generally. Also, you can use similarly sized nymph hooks if you are looking to add a bit more weight to the fly and get it down quicker without any split shot.

Pro Staff:

kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/18 19:58:44 (permalink)
http://imgur.com/a/GPnbU
Don't have flickr anymore so I just have to link it to another site, but I tried my hand at one, didn't have any pearl braid, so I used crystal chenille, thoughts?

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/18 20:42:43 (permalink)
Very nicely done, the key is to create the greyish-blueish hue that the shiner has underwater, any material that does this will work

Pro Staff:

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/18 20:43:34 (permalink)
kill3ducks1deer
johnthefisherman

I tried...............honestly; I even bit my lip trying to keep my mouth shut buttttttttttttttttt, I can't do it!

I think it was the t-shirt that made me want to break my silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n0ExmTLVys

Hope it helps and yinz enjoy.

johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/18 21:37:55 (permalink)
That is great, actually never seen that before.

Pro Staff:

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/19 10:17:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby xXBeastFeesherManXx 2015/09/21 11:02:47
One of the reasons I troll these sights is for the vast knowledge about hunting and fishing.  When I have gotten to the point where I cease to learn new ideas or even; refresh my memory than, it will be time to hang-up my boots.  

A loooooooong time ago I learned (from an ole timer) that ones memories will stay fresh if you are willing to pass on the knowledge learned from the past.  As I read questions such as the one posed by 'Kill3ducks' it brings back the memories of the days when I would ask similar questions.  Memories not only of tying a particular fly, memories of the people who would take the time to assist me, memories of that first cast using the fly I tied, memories of the trout streams and, rivers where I fished as a kid.

Back in those days we had to run to the library, (if you weren't fortunate enough to have encyclopedias at home) or, wait for the neighbor or, a friends dad to take the time to answer a question about hunting and fishing.

BUTTTTTTTT today.........!!  TODAY we have the internet and, it's ask and you shall learn!  (and at your own speed too)

I also believe in supporting those that give me an opportunity to use and learn from their sight; such as FISHUSA. 

Now, I know a lot of my fan club members will be disappointed to hear this, "but I ain't no dad-burn expert",() I just know where to find answers. (sorry fan dudes).  I also know many people have problems navigating the internet so; posting a link having info I think will assist, is merely a way of me enjoying memories.

So without further ado: http://www.fishusa.com/Demo-Videos 

Enjoy

PS.  John if you have the capability of making a video; you should, those are nice looking ties. 
PSS. would this be considered "spot burning"?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/09/19 10:23:24

H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/19 13:14:54 (permalink)
BTDT - You can give all the spots and lures. But if you don't know what to do it wont help!

lol but thats some good how to vids. Might make a couple of those to try.
masterbaiter1983
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/19 19:53:18 (permalink)
Dont knock high water. I know personally how good it can produce. . Growing up in washington state i learned that if the water is alittle muddy and a little high the fish become more aggresive.
post edited by masterbaiter1983 - 2015/09/19 19:54:39
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/21 11:07:16 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
One of the reasons I troll these sights is for the vast knowledge about hunting and fishing.  When I have gotten to the point where I cease to learn new ideas or even; refresh my memory than, it will be time to hang-up my boots.  

A loooooooong time ago I learned (from an ole timer) that ones memories will stay fresh if you are willing to pass on the knowledge learned from the past.  As I read questions such as the one posed by 'Kill3ducks' it brings back the memories of the days when I would ask similar questions.  Memories not only of tying a particular fly, memories of the people who would take the time to assist me, memories of that first cast using the fly I tied, memories of the trout streams and, rivers where I fished as a kid.

Back in those days we had to run to the library, (if you weren't fortunate enough to have encyclopedias at home) or, wait for the neighbor or, a friends dad to take the time to answer a question about hunting and fishing.

BUTTTTTTTT today.........!!  TODAY we have the internet and, it's ask and you shall learn!  (and at your own speed too)

I also believe in supporting those that give me an opportunity to use and learn from their sight; such as FISHUSA. 

Now, I know a lot of my fan club members will be disappointed to hear this, "but I ain't no dad-burn expert",() I just know where to find answers. (sorry fan dudes).  I also know many people have problems navigating the internet so; posting a link having info I think will assist, is merely a way of me enjoying memories.

So without further ado: http://www.fishusa.com/Demo-Videos 

Enjoy

PS.  John if you have the capability of making a video; you should, those are nice looking ties. 
PSS. would this be considered "spot burning"?

I just wanted to point out how much some of us "trainee's" appreciate informative post/replies like that above. 

BeenThereDoneThat - You the Man! Thanks and fish on my friend!
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/21 14:02:30 (permalink)
One of my favorite memories on erie water was at my waste at Manchester hole standing on the ledge . But it was green not muddy . Me and my dad pitched wooly worms on fly rods and the fish were striking so hard they kept breaking our 6lb Tippet like it was thread .
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/21 21:06:55 (permalink)
Muddy and green are two different things, muddy water is very hard to fish for just about any species, green water is killer for catching fish, hides you and your line and the fish are very active.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/22 00:08:45 (permalink)
Ain't no doubt about green water................ unless, your fishin where signs are posted warning about toxic algae blooms.  Which, really isn't so bad because, it keeps those old hairy guys with the big motors pullin screamin kids on a rubber replica of the Loch Ness Monster, off the water.

Sorry, that rant sneaked up on me.

Anyway, the green water rule (been around longer then most old hairy guys) stands true on streams, criks and, rivers of all sizes.

BeastFeesher, I appreciate the flowers, and happy to hear you find the info useful.  Tight lines

smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: Erie Tribs 2015/09/22 00:49:55 (permalink)
I know that . Fished coffee colored as well and caught fish on streamers . Just randomly dropped something down . This thread has struck my funny bone and my memories , lol I'm not old but erie was so much better in the days of the pigpen and before . Still cant beat the beauty God blessed erie for that for sure
Jump to: