Perch fishing in 16ft boat

Author
Brad1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Reward points: 0
2015/09/05 10:04:08 (permalink)

Perch fishing in 16ft boat

I've been boating on Erie for 35 yrs. But for the most part, it's always been in a cabin boat, ussually 22 foot. 23 ft Imperial, 22 ft Proline, 22 ft Grady White. Right now, I have a 16 starcraft side console with a 60 hp main motor and a 9.9 kicker. I'm a maintenance freak and the boat is always sea worthy and sound. None the less, it still is a 16 foot boat. I've had it out on Erie a couple times fishing for smallies, but that is only in 25 fow and conditions have been perfect. Thinking about heading out a little further (60 fow) for perch. Wave forecast 2 ft or less. Wondering about safety with bow anchored and larger boats throwing wakes.

Provided lake conditions are good, does that sound safe in your opinion?

6 Replies Related Threads

The Alaskan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Perch fishing in 16ft boat 2015/09/05 10:29:35 (permalink)
    I have a 14ft boat with a 15hp, the kids and I go out in the lake with it.  I have been out in 58ft ofw fishing for perch with it.  handles great.   My stern of the boat doesn't have a catch splash shelf, so I made splash guards for the back of mine to keep water from splashing in.  That was the biggest problem when with wakes or waves I had not the bow. Problem solved.  I always keep eye on conditions, usually only go if 2' or less, or 1-3 if fishing in the 35 or less range when winds are 5-15 out of most direction except south. South as you know is usually flat!!!  Enjoy yourself.

may your lines be tight
    The Alaskan
    marco
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re: Perch fishing in 16ft boat 2015/09/05 10:31:45 (permalink)
    I have same size boat...used to do erie on a larger boat for years.  I fish pymy and shenango now.  I am putting a sixty on my lund this year so I and do erie also.  I have fished erie and Ontario for a long time.  if you decide to do this make sure you have a good marine radio with a good antenna and watch the weather very close.  scoot at any hint of bad weather.  Ontario is not as bad but erie can swallow these small boats very fast!  I have seen guys out there many times in boats like ours.  be careful and know your limits!

The Alaskan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re: Perch fishing in 16ft boat 2015/09/05 10:57:37 (permalink)
    Well Said marco!!!!
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: Perch fishing in 16ft boat 2015/09/05 12:57:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. My other boats all had dash mounted vhf with 8 ft antenna. My 16 footer doesnt. But I have a ray marine handheld that I take out with me. Of course it doesn't have the range that a dash mount vhf has, but I'm only going to be a mile from the point of Presque isle so I'm sure it will reach the coast guard station.

Make no mistake, I definately respect lake erie. I've been caught in some nasty stuff out there. Surprisngly, some of the worst I've seen has been in close to shore when the nasty stuff comes out of the west.

I Definately won't be heading out to where I used to walleye fish in this 16 footer. Just thinking maybe I can get away with a perch trip tomorrow. Winds out of the south primarily, then switching to WSW. No storms in the forecast and wave prediction is 2 ft or less. Won't be flat, but thinking this 16 footer can handle those conditions as long as I don't go too far out. Will be launching out of Lampe.
    Divemaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re: Perch fishing in 16ft boat 2015/09/10 10:27:29 (permalink)
    Heck I hate getting beat around in the waves in our 22' Deep-V hull and we've even considered a 30-36'r because of the nasty waves up there at times. But, we also go out along the Canadian border for eyes and steelhead where you can't see either shoreline whatsoever so at that point you want to know your boat is reliable. But if you're just fishing the perch pack I'd say a 16' boat would work well, you can always dart in to shore pretty quick if the waves pick up too much.
    marco
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re: Perch fishing in 16ft boat 2015/09/10 13:46:35 (permalink)
    Brad,  you can do the perchin out of the ohio ports.  my buddy catches piles of them within a mile of shore.  that is my plan.  your antenna is more important than your radio.  a cheap radio w a good antenna will still call for help.  a good radio w a cheap antenna will not.  I made that mistake already!
    Jump to: