The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
  • Reward points: 0
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/16 12:25:03 (permalink)
I really hope you are right.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/16 12:47:59 (permalink)
I think you're right... Already some kings showing (very sparsely) in the river... That did not happen at all this time of year. And even though things are scattered and slow on the lake, it seems better than last year and some big fish are showing...
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/16 16:01:01 (permalink)
A few Kings made it up to the hatchery very early last season kind of like has already happened this year.
A trickle doesn't mean a run .
That said I  hope that all  is well and we have a normal season-  time will tell.
 A run or decent push will likely happen soon  and every one will go nuts lol.--( few weeks at most)-- but its the consistency of such pushes that will make or break the year.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/08/16 16:03:00
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/16 17:36:50 (permalink)
Report 8/15-16
Got home quite early today so I will throw up the report now..
We hit the lake pretty early (6am) yesterday to another slight 2' chop.. Had a minor malfunction on way out with a bad spark plug (coil) wire. It seems the boot may be weather cracked and it was arcing .. Some electrical tape and she was good to go.. Gonna pick up a new wire set this week..
Anyhow, we go to the usual area and start the long troll from 100 fow out.. Not seeing anything on the screen and lots of boats in the area.. I think somewhere around 30 is was counted but I'm sure there were at least 50. Troll, troll and troll some more until we hit 225fow and I watch the rod jiggle then fire !! My passanger grabbed the rod and it had a big bend so I didn't think it released so I told him to yank hard to release the line.. Well after about 2 or 3 yanks and a hard drag (my fault) the fish swam away with another spin doctor rig firmly planted in it's mouth.. Please catch them in the river and return them to me :), lol
Back to the troll without a sniff or anything on the screen so we pulled up stakes around 11 am..

Headed to Sandy beach with wife and grandson and had a blast !!! That beach is just awesome !!
Went back for a pm troll around 5pm with wife and grandson and the lake was flat.. Spent 3 & 1/2 hrs trolling around between 80-125 fow and marked TONS of fish which I assume were salmon.. They were heavy arches (hooks) on the screen and not like lakers stuck on the bottom.. Unfortunately we couldn't get any to bite.. Did see one streak up to where my rigger ball was but no go.. Really thought it was going to happen last night..

Woke up late today, puttered around camp, went to clean the boat and packed up outta town by 11 am..

Next week is going to be the week.. Heading back out Friday, we will have 2 boats out there working so something's gotta give.   
There will be no full report until I return at the earliest next thurs 9/3

From the finding on the lake this year and what might be to come in the river:
As you know , we struggled.. What I KNOW is that again these are tough times out there for everyone, pro's included.. Obviously they fish the lake and have far more knowledge then me but they are echoing (face to face) that the last 3 years have been lots of hard work for fish..  Yes they are putting fish in the box, mostly mixed bag.. They tell me it's rare now to limit out on kings unlike past years..
I still believe the river is going to be sporadic and only small spurts of fish, maybe night runnes as twobob suggested last year..
In saying that, there is still potential out there for trophy fish, kings might be smaller but still, big fish swim that lake..
I have an absolute BLAST every time I go there.. I will continue to fish the lake until something changes that I'm no longer able to .. Truly want to make some sort of establishment out there because we have plans of joining the ATV club next summer.. Right now I cant beat the price of my floating hotel so it will have to do :)

Good Luck folks ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/17 00:21:55 (permalink)
Becareful joining the ATV club... You may end up docking your boat out in town of Albion in the middle of a field blasting your speakers full throttle!!! Lol
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/23 06:59:16 (permalink)
A quick entry as we head out for day 2, there still ain't no darn fish in this lake !!! Unless something drastically changes, I do not see any thing for the better then last season

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/23 08:51:38 (permalink)
Hope it  changes for ya Rich- you have certainly put in your time and are too good a fisherman to be messing up while others score. So its the fish.
Last I read somebody said they are marking out in 100 to 150 feet and not moving in too much as yet.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/08/23 09:14:27
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/23 20:19:02 (permalink)
No place else to put this so  - will hijack a bit-
My oldest son just won a 'senior division' weight lifting competition up in Boston.
He went from his VT home as kind of a last minute thing never having competed before.
Talk about being proud but old at the same time  lol.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/24 13:27:28 (permalink)
Another blank scree this am. Lake got snotty so we are trying to catch dinner in the little river. Only gobies so far, well at least the skunk is off, sort of

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/24 17:12:22 (permalink)
Well I have caught more fish then ever up here. Dink perch rulez. Tiny gills any bad . A leaping smallie about 1 lb. a largie about 5 oz . And great suntan .
All the fish are in the river now :)

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/24 18:58:29 (permalink)
Well, we can't catch any perch in the Mighty H, so you got us there, bro.
Hope you find the pod of all pods and that screen goes berserk.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/24 19:16:34 (permalink)
Charlie , I so wish but we are not feeling much love up here.
We got charters , privateers and family probing the depts . Blank screens on the lake as have been all summer.
Wouldn't trade my summer for anything this season . Fish be damed .
Met some really nice people , caught my season best so far .. Tomorrow is thankfully another day .

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/24 19:40:05 (permalink)
Hope it changes for ya----whatever there is must come soon.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/25 00:05:33 (permalink)
Rich,they're out there somewhere 'cause if you remember the end of July the cleaning stations were doing 300 a day so it's a big lake but soon they will  come to the river for sex.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/25 11:07:48 (permalink)
Tried to give it a shot this morning but the lake is throwing solid 4 footers and some 5&6's NFG !!!
Another dock and creek fishing day

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/25 17:34:45 (permalink)
I think the lake is done playing nice for the summer . Snotty and churning . Keep an eye on any flow increase . It's low and slow now but the Labor Day could trigger something .
West blow is hard out here now

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/26 10:41:53 (permalink)
Passing on the August downriver walks this time around. It was always nice- fish found or not- but at least there was generally an expectation of perhaps finding a fish in the past.
Spent a lot of time last August walking and casting for fish that didn't show till Sept and likely not gonna do it this year.
Early reports are dismal at best--unfortunately.
It is always a time I looked forward to-especially with this being  the last season with my place up there - but just not the same without the expectation- those days are gonna have to be a nice memory.
It would only take a few to make me run up -but DSR reports of one every third day or so aint gettin my blood boiling.
It never really got going till later anyhoo and one may still hope they show  nicely this year.
Reports from Rich and other lake folks of fish being way out indicates a few more weeks till anything consistent  starts IMHO. Still just a wayward Scout.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/08/26 10:48:40
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/26 10:46:54 (permalink)
A small shot of fish came in this morning.  One guide reports going 0 for 4 while snapping off fish with 12# tippet.  I'm hoping this is a portent of good things to come. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/26 10:49:16 (permalink)
Geeeesh- just wrote the last and now hear this lol.
Yea--those early fish can be gear busters- I always revert to a 9 or 10 wt with 14lb  early.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/08/26 10:51:41
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/26 12:06:25 (permalink)
Well I will say the lake churned up really hard yesterday . It's not playing nice anymore which means to me , look in the river . Still am hearing the same old story though , where are the fish ?
You guys are optimistic and I hope it happens to be a great run, I'm just going off of my observations from what I se and here out here not so much what gets posted on guide and charter Internet sites . I'm sure some of you old timers remember the stories in tackle shops then they tell you " shoulda been here yesterday ". I have been here every single week and , yesterday .

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/27 20:49:50 (permalink)
Starting to look up a bit - hope you are off the mouth for a try Tuna--Good luck.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/27 21:08:32 (permalink)
We are outta there . Spent to many days land locked and was tired of "trying " to fish in 5-6 footers . Out of 6 days , we got off shore twice, that lake got seriously angry and I'm sure it put some fish in the river . Again though , I have talked with the charters ( big boy boats ) all week that did go out and there is NO normality out there where , when it should be . Screens are not showing the fish , trolling for and hr or so and seeing just a mark or two on the screen is not normal . At first I asked what am I doing wrong ? Wrong gear , wrong weights , wrong lures , speed , temp range ?
In the end , you can have the best of the best set up but if you are not seeing pods of fish , none of that matters .

Will fish run the river ? Of course they will .. How many is yet to be seen and right now in all my weeks on the lake , I just ain't seeing many . I could be totally wrong and for the river walkers sake , I hope so otherwise the river will be a complete **** show with many people, low water and lots of frustration - tempers .

While I'm taking this weekend off , my boat will not be and hope the crew will have a better report then I do ..
Back at it for me out there Labor Day weekend

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/27 21:56:25 (permalink)
Sounding like more than last years run was dead on the bottom as was feared.
Still hope to be wrong on that but the early hints aren't too good.
Yea -some will make it no matter what.
We will see how it turns out.
Will be up that weekend  for several days on the River-hope we are both pleasantly surprised.
Good Luck Rich.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/08/27 21:59:43
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/28 05:22:01 (permalink)
There will be plenty of fish for river walkers.  
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/28 09:08:35 (permalink)
This is not just me , here is a report today from a lake forum that seems to echo what I been saying::

My final trolling report for the year. Fished Salmon River to the Nuke plant for the last 7 days straight. We hooked a couple fish each day. Depth of best fish activity for us was from 110 ' to as deep as 130'. UV glow green flies and glow green and green dot spinnies worked best. In the sun, Mtn dew spinny with Hammer lime live worked well. Biggest king was 26.4. Had a couple females who eggs were not loose but ready to go soon. Also King of sting spoon trolled 5 feet off the bottom worked well.
For the bad news. I have been fishing this same week for 12 years straight.And the number of fish we saw on the sonar is just plain sad. We averaged seeing 5 fish a day on the sonar. This is the time of year when the mother load shows up between Oswego and the Salmon river mouth. Years past we would mark Squadrons of salmon all over the place. As soon as you went thru them multiple rods would fire. The last two years it was just one fish here and there. Every body at the cleaning station all seemed to have just one or two fish each. All the charter boat captains we talked to are struggling to put a few fish in the boat every day. They all say its the worst season they have ever seen. If it wasn't for all the two year olds out in the blue water it would have been a bust this season . We have a dock at the house we rent in the estuary of the salmon river. Every year at this time regardless of water temp, there are always a bunch of kings sniffing around the RT 3 bridge and lower estuary. We saw none!!. We did however see 4 kings in the raceway at the hatchery in Altmar. One other notable observation we had was every fish we caught, had Lampreys on it. And all of the lampreys were HUGE. Usually we see 1 or 2 a week but this was on EVERY fish we caught. Same with a bunch of other fishermen we talked to. I hate to be all doom and gloom but something is VERY wrong with the King fishery right now. Most of the local Charter boat captains think the Hatchery is not stocking the number of fish they claim to be. I hope it turns around for next year. I love everything about this fishery and I hate seeing it struggle. I'm no fish expert but..... two years in a row of bad returns is a sign. I'm not sure of what........but I hope somebody starts looking into it. Just my two cents.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/28 09:46:12 (permalink)
I wouldn't be surprised if they are cutting stocks without notice. They have been conducting wild return studies for quite some time now (I think 2002)... Can't tell you how many seasons in the past 5 years where wild fish were my main catch from end august through mid September. So maybe they are covertly experimenting??? Who knows. 99 was a horrible season. 98 had a sick run in late august but rest of season was sub par... 97 was average... But I do remember many fIshing type folks and businesses moving out because there were too few fish and no big fish left in the early 2k's... Those folks were proved wrong. This fishery came back to provide what will probably be known as the best years it ever had. I will keep the faith. And I will personally enjoy lighter crowds... Hey,Maybe I'll start fishing the river again even!!! Lol... :D
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/28 09:52:50 (permalink)
Dime, were the bad salmon years also poor steelhead returns, too?  I know you don't keep detailed records, but at least from what you can remember?
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/28 10:12:27 (permalink)
Fichy, mid to late 90's were said to be horrible steelhead years but my opinion is biased as I did very well in the late 90's. Lakers were everywhere 97/98 season and I would hop all over to find the steelies. I had no use for the lakers. February 99 and 2k I had a blast in dsr fishing along the ice ledges for monster pink cheeked bucks... Never seemed to hit that window again like I did that year.. As Early 2k's progressed I'd say they were horrible for steelhead in my findings. So if history does repeat itself, bad steelhead years could be coming in the next few years
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/28 10:13:42 (permalink)
I can't provide record years but can say they reduced the limit from 3 to 1 steelhead because of poor returns in cause of over harvest fro the dec perspective .
2 years after the harvest reduction the steelhead return ( perspective ) exploded 10 fold hence the crowds took notice.
Now givin that I pretty much threw in the towel of fishing the river an average of 30-40 days from 2010-11 on , I can only say that the times we spent after those years the steelhead fishing has been pretty good . Does it collate to the salmon returns ? Not really sure if that's the case , I think they have a different food base . It seems to me the problems encountered last year was they changed and were gorging on alewives thus screwing them up . Why they did this is the mystery , will , are they still in danger ? IMO I think the entire lake system is in a very fragile state right now and quite possibly be from the goby .
It's very strange that the dec started stocking herring and bloaters into the lake , why ? To try and stabilize the declining forage ? Maybe ..

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/08/28 10:19:27 (permalink)
I wouldn't be too quick to say the numbers of stocked fish have been covertly dropped.
Remember the Thiamine issue that we know was the culprit last season after one bad ice over- now we have had two in a row.
Clearly it hits all age levels leaving us with a likely shortage for a few years to come- bad but realistic.
Think the Lamprey issue may not be overabundant Lamprey but under abundant game fish to latch on to.
  Too many like a good Govt conspiracy when things get rough.
Cant believe that Thiamine only affects Kings- remember last year we first learned about it when the affects on Steel were seen- King were supposed to die off - not Steel.
Think Tuna hits the mark on bait.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/08/28 10:21:14
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to: