Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
johnthefisherman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points: 0
2015/07/07 14:39:03 (permalink)

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon

Welp guys, that time of year is slowly yet surely approaching once again. When the laziness of summer is broken and we start looking for the break in it all to head Erie to chase some of our steelhead friends. And, despite the fact that I'm havin' a pretty darn good bass season, I gotta admit, I'm starting to get the itch, and beginning to tie some emerald shiner colored streamers by the pile.  That said, I came up with this semi-serious guide to Erie Steelhead fishing terminology and slang, with the intention of giving veteran steelhead anglers some kicks, and helping the newbies know what they need to know. Here goes:

Blown Out- Stream conditions resulting from heavy precipitation causing dangerously high, chocolate milk colored water. The good news is that these generally result in runs of fresh fish, and fishing the dropping side once the water levels subside a little can make for a good day.

The Circus- Slang name for the Walnut Creek access on a typical September-November day, generally featuring shoulder to should angler traffic, boat traffic, and lots of people over lots of spooky fish.

CPR- Catch, photo, and release. Entails getting your fish under control, getting a photo with the fish, and releasing it, unharmed. I recommend using a net, keeping the fish in the net under the water, removing the fish only for the photo, unhooking, and letting it swim away under its own power. I’ve done this for years with no problem, of course, there will likely be some wise guy telling you that you probably killed the fish anyway. Note: This DOES NOT mean allowing your fish to flop around like it’s about to be battered and fried, having your buddy fumble with his camera, and watching the fish swim away on its side.

Dropback- A holdover steelhead that survives the entire fall, winter, and spring in the stream without being roped, being ground by ice flows, or dying some other way. They will eventually move down, exit the stream, and live the summer out in the lake. The bigger fish have done this many times, and have probably seen about every fly, lure, and bait on the planet, therefore they will be harder to fool, and will likely turn down the fly that took you 20 minutes to tie, in favor of spam.

East- Side- Streams to the east of the City of Erie. Primarily the Mile Creeks.

Emerald Shiner- A major baitfish in the Lake Erie ecosystem, and a major food source of steelhead. Sold at many local bait shops.

False Run- When fish enter the streams, decide the streams are too clear and hot for them, and move back out into the lake. Can happen when the fish come into the streams at night, and go back in the morning, or, when they enter the stream but an extended period of no rain occurs.

Flossing- Attempting to hook a steelhead by allowing a portion of leader and/ or line to land in the fish’s mouth, and yanking real hard. Also referred to as lining.

Gauges- The Walnut and Brandy Run USGS water gauges that can be found at water.usgs.gov. These are an invaluable tool for Erie steelhead fishing; they contain data for discharge per second and gauge height. With the exception of November- April, they also contain measurements for water temperature and turbidity. Look up the post titled “Gauge Help,” for an idea on how to read the gauges. I highly recommend keeping notes on the gauge readings of your best days of steelhead fishing for future reference.

Hold-Over- A steelhead that enters the creek, survives the gauntlet of anglers trying to catch it, and survives the winter in the stream.

Hook up- When a steelhead actually willfully strikes your bait/ fly/ lure, and you engage in a fight with the fish.

Jack- A juvenile steelhead that enters the stream in the spring, after it was stocked. Generally in the three pound range.

Landowner- One who owns land with stream bed. Since the wet feet laws DO NOT apply to the Erie tribs, at least not yet, it is their decision whether they allow someone to fish on it or not. For those who are gracious enough to allow fishing, please treat them and their property with respect. Note: Posting about non posted vs. posted is the easiest way to get a fiery debate going on FishErie  

Lifting- Attempting to hook a steelhead in the mouth by allowing the bait/ fly/ hook to drift into the fish’s mouth and setting the hook hard. In some areas, there is often considerable controversy over whether a fish was “lifted” or actually caught.

Lockjaw- When a steelhead refuses to eat anything, or strike.

Low and Clear- When the levels of the streams are low and clear enough to see most of the bottom, and also many of the fish. While it is easy to find fish, they are often very spooky, and receive heavy fishing pressure. The natural state of the Erie tribs.

Mouths-  Area off the lake just off where a stream empties. Good early in the season when the streams are low and clear, try casting a spoon out, or, if you’re a fly guy, see how far you can huck a streamer.

Neoprene Camo Waders/ Zebco 33/ Blue Power Bait Joke- A joke you will commonly see posted in the early portions of steelhead season, when fish are just beginning to run. Refers to the cliché of ill-prepared people fishing on the Walnut wall, wearing neoprene camo waders in 80 plus degree weather, using Zebco 33 spincast reels and blue Power Bait.

One-Fly: A semi-contest that involves choosing one fly to use, and catching as many steelhead as you can on it. Do some research for more info, or stay tuned for the sign up post.

‘Pinner- One who uses a centerpin set up on the tribs. You either love them or hate them.

Poor Richards- One of the better bait and tackle shops in the Erie area. Chances are you were linked to this site by their website.

Roper- Someone who keeps steelhead, often on a stringer made of yellow rope. AKA “rope em and smoke em.” While not detrimental in moderation, note that if you post a photo of a fish you kept, you risk being berated by CPR anglers, told how big of an idiot you are and how you are ruining the fishery. Oh, and if you show too much of the spot in the background, you may be accused of spot burning.

Run- 1) When a number of fish exit the lake and enter the streams 2) What happens during a fight with a steelhead, and it takes off.
Single Egg- Refers to any pattern that mimics a single salmon/ steelhead egg, or an egg itself used as bait. Flies would include glo-bugs and nuke eggs. An absolute must for fishing on the Erie tribs, especially in low and clear conditions.

Smoking- A common way of preparing a steelhead for consumption. Generally involves marinating the fish, and preparing in a smoker and/ or over wood chips. Or jis taking it to one of the bait shops in the area.

Smolt- Refers to a stocked steelhead fingerling. Stocking generally occurs sometime in late winter- early spring, and the creeks are stocked heavily to the extent that there will be clouds of smolts in some pools. The smolts must exit the creeks, avoid being eaten by seagulls and/ or walleye, and make it out into the lake.

Snagger- Someone who partakes in the act of snagging (sic)

Snagging- 1) Attempting to hook a steelhead anywhere on the body except for the mouth 2) What you may very well be accused of if you catch fish on a day someone else isn’t able to.

Spoon Feed- What someone wants to occur, when they ask a question that has been answered about a thousand times, or when they want to be put on fish without doing any work or providing any information of their own.  AKA “whats a single egg,” “Is it worth it yet,” “are the steelhead up to Route 5 yet,” “where are the fish.”

Spot Burner- Someone who partakes in the act of spot burning (sic)

Spot Burning- The act of providing too much information in a report/ post, making a specific fishing spot easily identifiable, and thus increasing angler traffic. Doing so will likely lead to you being severely flamed, or told how you probably just put 20 guys on a certain spot. Date, stream name, relative region on stream (upper, lower, middle), # of fish caught, conditions, bait/ flies used, is enough. Actually never mind, that’s probably still too much.

Stop Sign Hole- Self explanatory.. But, see above definition of spot burning.

Tribs- Short for “tributaries”, the streams that eventually end up flowing into Lake Erie

Trout Run- One of the nursery waters in which eggs are stripped from steelhead to make more steelhead to stock. Fishing in the lake near the mouth of the stream is extremely popular; however fishing in the stream is strictly prohibited. This is enforced to the extent that there are reports of people receiving citations just for pointing their rod at fish in the stream on their way down to the lake. So yea, don’t even pretend to think about it.

Uncle John’s- A popular campground on the banks of Elk Creek, with boat storage, RV space, cabins for rent, and more. Also known for the website, featuring live webcams of the stream, a valuable tool for checking stream conditions and deciding if you should make a trip or not.

West-Side- Streams to the west of the City of Erie. Primarily Elk and Walnut, with others in the mix.

Yinzer- If you’re from western PA and don’t know this term, I don’t know what to tell you.

post edited by Admin - 2015/08/04 08:16:27

Pro Staff:
Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

47 Replies Related Threads

SCaveNJ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/08 23:23:27 (permalink)
    Great post - perfect balance of facts and humor, plus I learned that I am a ‘Muphere.  That is, if you considering traveling from South Carolina a long distance.  We only make it to Erie once a year, but it is one of my favorite fishing trips of the year.  Thanks for the post!

I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/10 08:48:00 (permalink)
    Thanks. Muphere is a term we don't see as much anymore

Pro Staff:

H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/10 12:17:54 (permalink)
    Dont forget the Know All's: they will lecture everyone if they are around on Walnut creek. Older guy and his wife that lecture everyone since they cant catch fish. He lectured me when a fish slipped out of my hands and my fingers went behind his gils. The another for standing in the creek lol.

Epic runs of 2015, only couple months away!
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/10 14:13:45 (permalink)
    H3Fisher
    Dont forget the Know All's: they will lecture everyone if they are around on Walnut creek. Older guy and his wife that lecture everyone since they cant catch fish. He lectured me when a fish slipped out of my hands and my fingers went behind his gils. The another for standing in the creek lol.

Epic runs of 2015, only couple months away!

Good addition, may I suggest the name "Hank Patterson's Father?"

Reminds me of something I once saw on lower 20 mile. One of the lower holes absolutely loaded with fish, elbow to elbow traffic. There was one guy that I'm not sure if he even hooked a fish the entire time he was there, but every single time someone had a hook up, he'd run over and start coachin them on fighting the fish. "Let him run, okay reel in a bit, keep the pressure on him, don't let him control your rod, he got off cuz you put too much pressure on him." 

Pro Staff:

H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/10 16:05:04 (permalink)
    haha yes that sounds about right. Guess every creek needs a coach.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/11 18:50:13 (permalink)
    This sums it up better than Johns manifesto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4c8y7UoAx4

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/11 19:42:07 (permalink)
    Look away .......... its happening ...............

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/13 00:53:04 (permalink)

Attached Image(s)

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3412
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/13 09:05:29 (permalink)
    spazzer
    .The rest of you will never get it OR be invited to join...

How will we ever survive??? Jus ask'IN
    Whoo Kares...... Jus say'IN
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/21 11:27:41 (permalink)

Pro Staff:

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/07/21 12:52:07 (permalink)
    John............. THAT is just a  little more then we need to know!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/03 16:07:42 (permalink)
    SCaveNJ
    Great post - perfect balance of facts and humor, plus I learned that I am a ‘Muphere.  That is, if you considering traveling from South Carolina a long distance.  We only make it to Erie once a year, but it is one of my favorite fishing trips of the year.  Thanks for the post!

Actually I don't think you are a Muphere, which is really Pittsburghese slang and is spelled "Mup-ere".  Only people from the Pittsburgh area can truly be called Muperes, because they are mup-ere in Erie from dahn tahun Picksburg.  They usually like to eat jumbo hoagies and wash them down with an Arn City too.
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/03 20:19:12 (permalink)
    So the boy who called me one of them eventhough I'm from central PA dint know what he was talkin bout? In your face!

Pro Staff:

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/03 20:39:29 (permalink)
    Forgot a few...

False Flag: 1) The guy who writes a report about how "there hain't no fish, don't even bother cominmup fer another month" in order to discourage people from comin and fishing

Mr. Greenpants: Slang name for fish PFBC fish warden. In Erie, met both horses a** ones, and ones that couldn't been more courteous.

The Wall: (Music) Last hit album of Pink Floyd, (Steelhead Fishing) See spot burning, (Boat Launching) Walnut Creek boat launch area with a "wall" that runs along the outside of the channel. If yer fishin year, ya gotta reel your line in when a boat comes through.

Jewelry: 1) An object you may attempt to persuade your significant other with in order to get a free pass for the weekend to go fishing. 2) The flies, hooks, bait, and lures that are all over a fish that has been snagged and broken off multiple times

Pro Staff:

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/04 11:36:33 (permalink)
    johnthefisherman
    So the boy who called me one of them even though I'm from central PA dint know what he was talkin bout? In your face!

In your face?  lol  Yes the boy who called you one was wrong and didn't know what he was talking about.  Here is a link to a Pittsburghese glossary, look it up yourself.  Mup-ere can also be found in other internet dictionaries of Pittsburghese slang as well:

http://www.pittsburghese.com/glossary.ep.html?type=nouns

Not sure how far away from the burgh you have to be to be considered a Mup-ere; but if you have a nebby aunt, and redd-up before going out to shop at the Jynt Iggle, and drive north to get to Erie then you are a Mup-ere.
    SCaveNJ
    New Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/04 20:17:39 (permalink)
    SteelSlayer77Actually I don't think you are a Muphere, which is really Pittsburghese slang and is spelled "Mup-ere".  Only people from the Pittsburgh area can truly be called Muperes, because they are mup-ere in Erie from dahn tahun Picksburg.  They usually like to eat jumbo hoagies and wash them down with an Arn City too.

Rats! So I'm just one of those annoying out of towners you all despise. That's a bummer. We do pass thru Pittsburgh on the way up to Erie so do I at least get partial credit? As for what I like to eat, subs are good but shrimp and grits washed down with some sweet tea is the bomb.

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/05 10:17:03 (permalink)
    I propose we just keep the term "yinzer" for the Pittsburgh area, and, at least for the context of Erie Steelhead, make the term "Mupere" applicable to everyone from State Collegeish, westward. After all, I do take I80 to either 79, or I80 to 36N Brookeville, to 27N, to 8N to I90 on the "scenic route." Who would like to second this motion? 

SCave, may I ask how you end up going from NJ to Erie by way of Pittsburgh? 

Pro Staff:

SCaveNJ
    New Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/05 15:27:51 (permalink)
    johnthefishermanSCave, may I ask how you end up going from NJ to Erie by way of Pittsburgh?

Haha... if only the journey was so simple.  We live in SC now (originally from NJ), so my annual thanksgiving steelhead trip goes something like this  SC -> NC -> VA -> WV -> PA. 
    My wife grew up in the Erie area and still has family up there so that's the real reason for the trip.  But there is no way I'd ever miss out on the chance to toss some flies at steelhead - whether the conditions are "worth it" or not.

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/06 08:40:19 (permalink)
    SCaveNJ
    johnthefishermanSCave, may I ask how you end up going from NJ to Erie by way of Pittsburgh?

Haha... if only the journey was so simple.  We live in SC now (originally from NJ), so my annual thanksgiving steelhead trip goes something like this  SC -> NC -> VA -> WV -> PA. 
    My wife grew up in the Erie area and still has family up there so that's the real reason for the trip.  But there is no way I'd ever miss out on the chance to toss some flies at steelhead - whether the conditions are "worth it" or not.

Ahh, epic fail, I completely forgot you said that in your first response to this thread :(

After all, I did call this the "complete idiot's guide to erie steelhead jargon", not the "genius' guide to erie steelhead jargon," for a reason. 

Pro Staff:

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/10 11:57:53 (permalink)
    How about the "Erie Boot": The angler who's so lazy they just completly beach a fish, bend down to take out the hook/fly and just give it a kick back into the stream without bothering to pick it up. You see that a lot. Poor fish get beat up enough....

pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/10 21:15:53 (permalink)
    Many years back I observed Steeler kicker Gary Anderson gently nudge a steelie back in the water with his foot. There were a few rather numerous comments from nearby fisherman.

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/11 08:32:19 (permalink)
    pheasant tail 2
    Many years back I observed Steeler kicker Gary Anderson gently nudge a steelie back in the water with his foot. There were a few rather numerous comments from nearby fisherman.

Was Jeff Reed around, getting drunk and angrily destroying the stream cuz there were no fish in the hole he was in? Throwing three Sheetz to the wind. 

Pro Staff:

H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/11 10:23:09 (permalink)
    Jeff was busy punching the hand sanitizer dispenser in the porta-john.
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/12 12:10:40 (permalink)
    This one time I ran out of toilet paper in the port o potty at Walnut, and it was after I had Barbatos for dinner in the hotel room the night before. Soo just one thing to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fdIEHpPIro

Pro Staff:

SCaveNJ
    New Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/08/12 13:54:32 (permalink)
    There is NO WAY I'm going to click on that link!

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/09/08 09:11:42 (permalink)
    Welp, headed up and absolutely smashed them yesterday, 10 for 12 on emerald shiner streamers, crystal meth, and black and blue stonefly nymphs. Had a good one on, easily over 12 pounds, when the bloody alarm went off, and I had to go to work. 

Pro Staff:

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/09/08 21:27:08 (permalink)
     You ain't right dude! 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/09/08 22:42:13 (permalink)
    Nice.
    I'll be up oct 2 for work. I'm expecting to catch some steelies somewhere then.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    Re: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Erie Steelhead Fishing Jargon 2015/09/09 11:20:16 (permalink)
    walcat
    BeenThereDoneThat.
     You ain't right dude! 

Look what's calling the kettle black !!!     

Nobody ever did nothin notable by fitting in. 

Pro Staff:

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: