New Brighton and Montgomery Dams - Gar

Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
2015/08/03 16:34:23 (permalink)

New Brighton and Montgomery Dams - Gar

Anyone have any experience with gar at either location??

I've heard that the New Brighton Dam on the Beaver River is a hot spot, but I fished it recently and didn't catch, or even see any. It was my first time there and I've been itching to check that area out for quite some time so it was nice to finally fish it. Did catch a few smallies and a catfish though, so it wasn't a bust. Also saw some decent carp, and 2 drum which was cool. Maybe the gar move in and out during certain times of the year?? From what I understand summer is supposed to be a good time there........maybe I hit it on an off day? Who knows.

Was also thinking about trying out below the Montgomery Dam on the Ohio River near Industry. Anyone have consistent gar action there?? I've gotten them before farther down on the Ohio River in WV, but it's not too consistent. Sometimes a few fish are there.....and other times they aren't.

Anyways, any insight is appreciated. Just in the mood for something different instead of the usual bass, trout, catfish, etc....    Always cool to check out new water and catch different species

5 Replies Related Threads

graveydavey
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: New Brighton and Montgomery Dams - Gar 2015/08/03 17:52:21 (permalink)
    They love minnows, not too large of a hook or minnow. They can really strip a hook without getting hooked and man are they slimey .
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: New Brighton and Montgomery Dams - Gar 2015/08/03 18:20:12 (permalink)
    Yeah the times I've run into gar at the one spot in WV(New Cumberland Dam) they seem to love minnows. Definitely tough hooking them...

...but I'll deal with that problem when the time comes. Gotta find them first!!! Can't hook 'em if they aren't there.....which has been my issue lately(finding places with good numbers).
    BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: New Brighton and Montgomery Dams - Gar 2015/08/04 05:29:00 (permalink)
    If you find the gar tie a small piece of green scuffy to the sank, will increase hook ups
    Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re: New Brighton and Montgomery Dams - Gar 2015/08/04 09:56:01 (permalink)
    This time of year/late summer you cant keep them off your bait at night while flathead fishing below the HPD. Went out last week and all we had were gar runs...soo annoying after a while. They absolutley love this hott weather and we see them chasing bait all night in the glow from my pole light. Inly way I ever caught any was when they got gut hooked. There are some bruisers cruising around if you can manage to hook into one. Never had much luck with the old peice of pantyhose trick but it does make sense in theory.

"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"
    Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re: New Brighton and Montgomery Dams - Gar 2015/08/04 09:57:07 (permalink)
    Also dont expect much of a fight...they are total dead weight and most of the time just feel like you are reeling in lifeless river trash/debris

"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"
    Jump to: