Helpful ReplyGood Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/01/28 11:48:04 (permalink)
http://www.bowfinanglers.com/recipes.html

You be the judge.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/01/28 15:49:46 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Troutguy my appologies for 'trashing' your board. I was having trouble trying to access info on my 'puter' then read a story of the malware that caused these problems and how it get's installed. So I thought it important to post it for all to see.

Haha no worries. Thanks for the heads up...
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/01/28 15:53:37 (permalink)
VJPaczek74
There's a bait shop at Glendale Lake where I have heard an employee (I believe it's actually the owner) tell people to kill any Bowfin they catch.  It's the first bait shop on the right when you turn onto the south end of Beaver Valley Road.

I actually heard the same about a bait shop in the Meadville area. Not sure of the name......but I think it may have closed up(can't think of any around there).
 It's a shame. Who knows how many other shop owners out there have the same feelings......
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/01/28 20:31:04 (permalink)
Porktown
If you can get away with it (most probably can), replace your PC with an iPad.  iOS is about as secure of a platform as you can have right now.  Some can't get away with just a tablet, but if you can, the benefits of iPad over a PC are well worth the cost.  Especially if your company allows you to expense it...  

No thanks, some of us have to do real work on our computers!  
paramedicjake
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/01/30 16:51:31 (permalink)
Here you go , good eats .

Baked  Butter milk  Bow-fin

• Soak skinless bowfin fillets in buttermilk for 4 hours in the fridge.
  • Pre-heat oven to 350F.
  • Butter a large glass casserole dish.
  • Place a layer of sliced onions on bottom of the dish, then layer the fillets on top.
  • Pour Italian salad dressing over fin fillets.
  • Place another layer of sliced onion on top.
  • Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes or until flaky.
  • Remove from heat, uncover, and sprinkle chedder cheese on top and recover till melted.
  • Salt and pepper to taste or spritz with hot sauce.

troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/06/01 13:19:08 (permalink)
Well, I happened to fish the location where the signs were put a couple times this spring...........but all the signs were gone I doubt the PFBC took them down. Probably locals with brains smaller than that of creek chub's....

I wasn't targeting bowfin, but I did see one caught by another angler. He said he doesn't like catching them(why though?) but he did agree that it's wrong to kill them.

He also said that earlier he saw other people catching and killing bullheads. He too agreed that it was wrong to kill them as well. I saw the remnants.....

I don't understand these idiots. If you're not going to eat the fish, release it!!!    Also, I saw some other great, big gamefish mistreated at this location recently. They were released......but I don't know if they survived all the flopping around on the rocks and gravel. Unfortunately it's a common occurrence there
H3Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 340
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/06/01 14:58:53 (permalink)
Funny, I seen this same fish this past weekend. And if you look at the overflow behind the main spot, you will see a couple more catfish and bowfin.

I cant wait to see someone throw a fish there. I will take pics and put them on blast on here and call the game comish. Them silly walleye fisherman.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/06/01 16:07:25 (permalink)
Who kills bullheads?  They are super easy to clean and taste fantastic.  That's just insanity.  You guys posting here need to see the musky video where the walleye guy skull bashes a musky because he didn't like it eating his bait.  You'll love that.  Here you go:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzdesfXfaTY 
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/06/01 16:25:55 (permalink)
I've seen that video too many times. Just messed up.

The main reason why people kill bullheads, and bowfin, at this location is because they get in the way while targeting other species. I too can't wait until I catch these "fishermen" in action so I can get them busted and post their faces all over the internet.

H3Fisher, I didn't happen to look in that little overflow/ditch the past couple times I was there but I can imagine. Last summer there were a bunch of dead 'fins there and I'm sure bullheads too. There was another dead bullhead on the opposite side of the waterway too on the grass
post edited by troutguy - 2015/06/01 16:27:06
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/06/01 18:20:47 (permalink)
Hell I hate channel cats but love catching them sure don't kill them & toss them back in the water or on shore. Caught a nice one last Thursday evening asking my buddy if he wanted it , he didn't so we released it to fight again... It's crazy to kill anything you are not going to eat... I think anyhow.

STEVE.
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/08/01 11:18:15 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
I'll try the fishing hole see if I can get a reply................

Looking for that picture and yes it was a wimpy one, on 4lb test using a 1/16 oz. jig and tube.  Fishing for crappy/gills. right at the campgrounds up from the Jamestown Marina.  It's still in there somewhere.  I hear they're not bad eating?  Sure do got a mouth full of teeth.  Those pictures you posted above sure are disheartening; seeing people killing because of ignorance!  Surely the posters will save a bunch in the future. 

BTDT:    "I hear they're not bad eating?"
They are a candiate species and the PFBC strongly encourages their release. You should not eat one !
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter75/s75.3.html
JEB
Pro Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/08/01 11:20:01 (permalink)
paramedicjake
Here you go , good eats .

Baked  Butter milk  Bow-fin

• Soak skinless bowfin fillets in buttermilk for 4 hours in the fridge.
  • Pre-heat oven to 350F.
  • Butter a large glass casserole dish.
  • Place a layer of sliced onions on bottom of the dish, then layer the fillets on top.
  • Pour Italian salad dressing over fin fillets.
  • Place another layer of sliced onion on top.
  • Cover with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes or until flaky.
  • Remove from heat, uncover, and sprinkle chedder cheese on top and recover till melted.
  • Salt and pepper to taste or spritz with hot sauce.

They are a candiate species and the PFBC strongly encourages their release. You should not eat one !
JEB
Pro Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/08/01 11:22:54 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
http://www.bowfinanglers.com/recipes.html

You be the judge.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/08/01 13:51:17 (permalink)
Yeah Jeb we're aware that the Bowfin is being introduced back to PA waters.   But, leave it to the 'P.S.U.  Fish and Boat Commission' to restart a fish and only "encourage its release"; why not make it unlawful to harvest? (AKA: harm/kill/keep)

Paint me "old school" buddy, but saying they "recommend" a fish (they are introducing) be returned to the water is a oxymoron.  Either it's "put and take" or "catch and release" plain and simple.

The mission of The P.S.U.  Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance.  Unfortunately, the protect and conserve part has gone by the wayside with most of the effort now focused on "enhancement".  When biology becomes more important than protecting, and it has, then stupid laws and oxymorons (least not forget gouging anglers for stupid stamps) become the norm.

The P.S.U. Fish and Boat Commission has gotten overloaded with biologist engrossed with changing (not enhancing) PA's fisheries.

Less biologist, more waterways patrolman and, getting back to the basics is my recommendation!   

Have a good day and thanks for your devotion to the PA. Wilds.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/08/01 22:15:20 (permalink)
FYI, they are not "being introduced back to PA waters." I've heard a couple people say that the PFBC is responsible for the increasing numbers of bowfin at some places because they are stocking them. That is 100% false. The PFBC does not stock bowfin, and they are NOT reintroducing them.

All the bowfin are wild, and naturally reproducing. They have been here all along, and the populations have fluctuated on their own. The PFBC has done nothing to affect their populations, except for the fact that they're doing very little to educate the idiots that are killing them.

As we're aware, yeah, they're a candidate species and are "encouraged" to be released.

Why are they a candidate species? Well, when looking at the state as a whole.......their populations are extremely low. But fortunately there's a handful of places in NW PA that have good, fishable numbers. Elsewhere, they're very rare.

Even though the idiots that are killing the bowfin may not make a huge dent in the populations in NW PA(though still a slight dent), that mentality can spread to other locations where bowfin aren't common. Regardless of how common they are, sportfish shouldn't be killed ANYWHERE (unless you're going to eat them).

In my opinion, since bowfin aren't a popular fish to eat, the PFBC should make it required to release them. It's obviously illegal to toss the fish on the bank or in the woods to die, but unfortunately it is legal to take the fish home and put them in your garden. A WCO even told me that. They're a candidate species, yet it's still legal to take them home and the PFBC doesn't give a crap about people tossing them in their garden?? What's the point of them being listed as a candidate species then.

As for the PFBC's mission, yeah, it's very ironic. Here's the mission statement word for word. "The mission of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities."  I LOL every time I read it. I can go on and on.....
post edited by troutguy - 2015/08/01 22:16:38
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/08/02 09:58:38 (permalink)
Sorry.........

I stand corrected.

Misuse of words.... my bad.

Sooooo Troutguy, tell us, how doooo you feel about the PFBC?

JEB
Pro Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/08/03 08:58:43 (permalink)
I agree, it is stupid that a "canidate" species is still allowed to be harvested for whatever reason. The bowfin is a great sportfish and I do target them once in a while. I practice strictly catch and release and started using circle hooks recently. I have only ever had one swallow the hook, but thought circles were a better option. The PFBC does many things right and many are questionable in my mind. However, they are one of the best in the country as to numbers of fish stocked (mostly pellet heads). They are also one of the few states that still have seperate fish & game agencies. This allows them not to have to share monies. Things are not perfect but they could be worse as well.
Just my $.02 on the matter...
Tight Lines.....
JEB 
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Good Job PFBC! (but sadly, some people aren't capable of being educated) 2015/08/03 13:02:39 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Sooooo Troutguy, tell us, how doooo you feel about the PFBC?

JEB
The PFBC does many things right and many are questionable in my mind. However, they are one of the best in the country as to numbers of fish stocked (mostly pellet heads). They are also one of the few states that still have seperate fish & game agencies. This allows them not to have to share monies. Things are not perfect but they could be worse as well.

I agree with JEB. Compared to some other states' fish & game agencies(whether separate or together), the PFBC does do a very good job.

BUT, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement. They have had some pretty wacko ideas lately, and also the "lack of ideas/action" is an issue too. One example being bowfin. They have to be PROACTIVE. Put in the effort to educate people. They can do more, they just don't have the motivation or simply don't care.

I expressed some of my thoughts on the first page of the Shenango Outflow thread. Don't feel like doing a ton of typing again lol. But to some it up, they can do a better(and smarter, more efficient) job at managing our fisheries. The first step is better managing the stocked trout program, and that will also give them some extra cash to improve the fishing for other species, as well as habitat, access, etc.

Remember, this is the same agency that thought center pinning is fly fishing..... (there was a proposal to allow center pinning in Fly Fishing Only areas)

Did any of yinz see the new "Big Trout Program" the PFBC is going to do?? Now THAT is a step in the right direction!! Just further proves my point. The PFBC's effort should be focused on other things....
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: