Author
jaydse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points: 0
2015/07/06 20:53:03 (permalink)

Shimano Calsis 200DC

Who has one what's your thoughts ?
$650.00 for a reel is steep . I have tried baitcasting reels before with only frustration!
how much do you like this real ?

Mercury jet, & Tohotsu prop.  Lowes boat, ST. Croix poles Shimano reels .

10 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/06 22:44:17 (permalink)
    Jaydse, I've tried several baitcasters by different mfgs. and I personally think  the Shimano's are the best buy for the money.  Buttttttttttt, $650.00 for a fishing reel...............  Noooooo way!  Dude that kind of money will buy a lot of baitcasters that will last just as long and catch just as many fish!

Not that it's any of my business but, why so much money for a baitcaster?

If you've had some bad situations using baitcasters, (who hasn't?) spending that kind of money won't prevent those same frustrations.  I've been chucking, tossing, chunking, whipping and, flipping all types of worms, pig-n-jigs, raps, spoons, spinners and, buzzbaits using a baitcaster since the early 80's.  It's the only reel that I use unless, I'm fishing for crappie/gills and even then I'm using a Shimano Trigger Fire that is 20+ yrs. old.  

My apology if it sounds like I'm bragging because......... I AM! (lol)

Heck it ain't no fun fishing if ya don't get the urge to throw that stupid baitcaster into the drink after the dreaded "bird's nest" appears.  That's why you should never spend $650.00 on any fishing reel!

Serious about using a baitcaster; shoot me a PM and, I'll explain what a piece of tape can do for ya!

I gotta get, til next time, happy baitcasting.

PS. $550.00 ebay.................  shhhhhhhhh!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/07 08:28:27 (permalink)
    no matter how expensive or how many braking systems you have on that reel your thumb comes into play on every cast.  And BeenThere, please share the tape trick.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/07 10:14:58 (permalink)
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocalais200asvpg2.html
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/07 11:41:54 (permalink)
    pikepredator2
    no matter how expensive or how many braking systems you have on that reel your thumb comes into play on every cast.  And BeenThere, please share the tape trick.

Wellllllll.............. okay but first, you have to promise to keep it a secrete.

Masking tape, the blue painters type that comes in various widths and doesn't leave sticky residue, is  recommended.

Strip off just enough line,  from the reel, that you think will cover the distance of your casting + 10 or so yds.  Place a strip of the masking tape (don't get carried away, eventually you'll have to remove the tape) on the reel spool then, rewind the line.  Now, when you cast and hear that stupid whizzzzzz/flap/flap from that lovely "birds nest", you'll have just a few yards of line to dig or cut out.  I would recommend trying your hand at undoing these tangles as you might be amazed at how simple it can be.  Commercial pics are available that make the job easier and digging out nest made in expensive fishing line makes the price of the pic cost effective.  Which leads me to a second 'trick of the trade' that says......... DON'T put expensive fishing line on a baitcaster till you have mastered its use!

Okay, now ya got me started, a big mistake made by 'baitcasting newbys' (even if they have followed the mfg's instructions on setting up the reel) is not adjusting brake/friction settings when they change baits and/or, the direction they are casting.  Throwing a weighted plastic worm into a slight breeze may be okay but, switching to a buzz bait sporting a 3" 4 blade spinner, in that same breeze will produce a not-so-pretty sight.  Likewise, throwing that buzz bait with the wind will create some beautiful cast and, turning 180 degrees may cause you to throw the buzz bait, rod and, reel right into the drink.

You got it right Pikepredator, the 'thumb' is very important for controlling every cast while using a baitcaster.  Throwing a baitcaster is not like the good ole Zebco or Johnson spincast in that the button is pushed and held until whipping the rod forward.  The thumb is used to hold the spool stationary and pushing the button at the same time then, releasing the spool when bringing the rod forward.  Using the thumb to stop the line spool "BEFORE" the bait hits the water (or something else) is a must and the thumb can also be used to apply 'drag' on the spool when fighting a fish.

Another mistake made by first timers, not loading the rod properly thereby, releasing the 'wrath of the bird's nest'!  Ya just can't crank the bait tight to the tip of the rod and expect a smooth cast.  Leave the bait hang at least a foot from the top eye when casting any type of rod or bait.  Timing is different when using a baitcaster compared to a spinning reel and it deals with when to release the line and of course, rod types, weights and, lengths will have a effect with this issue.

I recommend practicing 'the release' by making short cast (that's short cast), using CHEAP fishing line and the masking tape with the wind at your back after, reading the mfg's instructions for setting the spool brake and bearing friction adjustments.  Huh....... bearing friction adjustment?????  READ the mfg's instructions and after that, here's a tip on setting that puppy.  Each time you change bait, allow the new bait to hang about a foot below the rod tip with the rod extended in front of you and the tip at '11:00 oclock, release the spool and allow the bait to drop to the ground/water.  Be prepared to stop the spool with your thumb once the bait stops falling.  If the spool needs to be stopped, adjust the friction setting until the spool stops when the bait stops.  Likewise, friction adjustment may be required to allow the bait to fall freely (too much friction will affect your casting distance).  I prefer to set friction then fine tune by setting the spool brakes.  Friction adjustment is usually set externally and spool brakes internally so, I can make necessary friction adjustments without readjusting spool brakes.

Don't overkill with line weight, know your fish and spool with the appropriate line and learn how to properly set the reel drag system, which is another story.

Ok, enough is enough (but, I could go on and on and...)so here's my suggestion in a nutshell.  Use the masking tape (it works) with cheap line to practice and don't try throwing long cast your first time out.  Read the mfg's instructions with setting the reel up using the friction control and braking system (they are not the same).  Set the reel up so the adjustments are a bit tighter than they need be until you've learned where your release points will be. Just a word of caution,  releasing a baitcaster the same as you would a spinning reel may get your bait involved with your junk.  Throw with the wind at your back, until you catch on then learn what happens by throwing into the wind (hee hee).  DON'T forget the masking tape!!!!!!

Throwing a baitcaster for the first time or after using a spinning reel is like playing baseball then playing softball.

Don't get frustrated, just remember Chyt happens!

Have fun, I gottaaaaaa........ get!

PS. you ask! (lol)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

jaydse
    Avid Angler
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/08 20:01:54 (permalink)
    Great post been there I will refer to it when I get one for musky fishing soon !

jaydse
    Avid Angler
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/08 20:06:58 (permalink)
    I do have a Calsis I got it after buying a better then average Abu. The drag was plastic kept skipping the finish I wore it off in less then a week with my thumb . I will say it's cheating like a crossbow I Don't need to keep my thumb on spool at all and I can cast into wind without any fear of a birds nest . Now saying this I do want to master a regular baitcaster also I'm just that kind of person .

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/09 14:56:55 (permalink)
    jaydse your gonna get me in trouble on the issue of musky fishing..............

Two opinions, when it comes to casting for musky (other big fish, crockagators or, kayaks):  (1) Use reels with a high retrieve ratio.  (2) Don't overkill using ultra high pound test line,  (unless you wish to use the line to anchor your boat or, tow screaming kids on a rubber replica of the Loch Ness Monster(while trolling for crockagators)).

When it comes to chunking big lures that require fast retrieves, a 6:1 ratio (or higher) will certainly extend your fishing time when it comes to wearing out the arm.  Also, smaller diameter line will increase casting distance, and allow diving lures to dig deeper, with less effort on your part.

Disclaimer; the above opinion is based solely on the time spent dodging and ducking 'humongus' fishing lures, tied to tow rope size fishing line being carelessly flung by persons suffering severe fatigue, while standing in a seventeen foot boat getting rocked from surf, generated by stupid old hairy guys with egos bigger than their loud motors.

Have to run, time for me to step out on the back deck and extend a single digit salute to the rain gods.  
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/07/09 14:58:17

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/09 18:51:19 (permalink)
    I couldn't be happier with my revolution toro nacl. Handles double cowgirls very nicely. I usually put 80 lbs braid for my all purpose rods. 100 for throwing jerkbaits.
    Big Steve
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 144
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/12 22:29:48 (permalink)
    The Calais is a 200 and geared more towards bass fishing. Chances are it wouldn't hold up long if throwing big plugs for musky. Particularly, abnormal wear on the digital control apparatus, which I would imagine is the most expensive component of the reel. Maybe a quick way to trash an expensive reel. You may want to look at a Curado 300e or Calcutta 400b if musky are the plan. I am a Shimano fan and have both and a Tranx PG for the biggest stuff. The curados and calcuttas are the best reels on the market imo. I have had no problems with mine with annual maintenance. .

But who knows, I haven't seen anyone using or talking about using the Calais DC for skis. If you already have one and this is your plan please give us an update this fall on how it holds up.

The DC is designed to handle a lot of the friction/braking adjustments, but lacking the DC, if you're getting bird's nests at the beginning of the cast increase centrifugal (or magnetic) braking, if they are occurring at the end of the cast increase the tension on the friction control knob. The tape trick is great for starting out and will save you a lot of aggravation. I would avoid a pick that will damage the line and in general practice clearing bird's nests without anything. Load the reel under high drag to ensure a tight pack. Larger diameter line will help decrease dig in. If you get snagged don't pull from the reel, this will give you terrible dig in. Wrap something like a bic lighter or other smooth cylindrical rod (that won't damage the line) around the line a half dozen times and pull the snag free or break the line.
    post edited by Big Steve - 2015/07/13 04:47:39
    jaydse
    Avid Angler
    Re: Shimano Calsis 200DC 2015/07/13 20:54:36 (permalink)
    I should of made it more clear I have no interest in using my calais for skies at all . Bass, walleye but I'm going to try steelheads in Michigan. I think I found a perfect match string 12 pound p-line floroclear. I'm casting far better then power pro , spider wire mono it has to much memory . P-line lays back down quickly on the spool . That said the reel could of cost a million bucks you still need some practice casting correctly . I'm casting as far as my other top shimano spinning reels .

Jump to: