Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/10 22:04:11 (permalink)

ARRRRUGGGGH

Got to My place in Pulaski Mon evening to a hay high lawn- wow- only 3 weeks- great growing season I guess.
OK -started mowing Tues Am after rain most of the night-mower deck blew up big time just as the thunder and lightning started 11am--What to do???
OK- back to Ct for another rider and then back to Pulaski-arrived bout 11PM
This morning mowed the lawn-hadda do most twice -then tear apart the old mower deck and toss it-just as the thunder and rain hit bout 3:30 --what to do???
Got the heck outa there at 4 pm.
2 1/2 days 1200 miles --one lawn mowed
Couldn't Bass fish -heck the waters like a flood and all brown-feeders high as heck too.
Kept the old mower ( minus the deck) for a tractor. 
Deck came apart in several spots with a broken shaft-belt and belt guards busting off even bent some hangars.. Been repaired too often to make it worth while again.

38 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/06/10 22:26:50 (permalink)
    Trev... Give me a ring when you're in a jam... No need to do those type of miles... And yes bass fishing is a major bust!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/06/11 01:15:39 (permalink)
    Sounds like a big bummer !! Don't know if I could ever put those miles on .. Hope things turn for the better..
    Counting the days for the Daisy to splash the Salmon, little salmon that is
    Give me a shout when you'll be up if you want to take a boat ride to relax ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/06/11 06:35:42 (permalink)
    In some ways, this may make you feel better about going up as a guest in the future. Only have to deal with fishing equipment failures, and easily replaced with all the tackle shops. The river is BLOWN in an impressive fashion.
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/06/11 07:13:30 (permalink)
       Trev it must be in the NY air I just blew my second engine on my craftman in the past 8 years. I'm not even going to try to rebuild it this time it takes to long to get the parts and the lawn will be a foot high.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/06/11 08:55:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys-was quite a trip to say the least.
    It did reinforce the positives about my hard decision to sell up there-running back and forth every few weeks for chores like lawn care was nice for a long time but will be 68  this Summer and the non fishing trips were getting older as well.
    All  the regular care and improvements were well worth it though as had 2 neighbors quickly offering  to buy the place as soon as I mentioned the possibility of selling--never had to call a realtor.
    Still really enjoy Pulaski and the SR and will continue to be around from time to time even after selling.
    It has been  a great adventure, just time to scale back a bit.
    Heck- a month ago still had my old house in Meriden, Pulaski and the home I now enjoy-kinda shocking to know there will be but one soon.
    ( likely will go nuts--Ok OK - more nuts.)
    post edited by r3g3 - 2015/06/11 08:59:55
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/06/11 12:35:42 (permalink)
    Same here Trevor I got one you could have borrowed for a day

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/06/11 17:31:00 (permalink)
    Andy and Clint- thanks for the offers but am kind of stuck on trying to avoid borrowing stuff-
      A Murphys Law mentality. It will  break or I will break it and thus drastically increase an already all fouled up condition.

Ex- was on the Misquamicut (sp) RI  beach one night Striper fishing and a guy  I know came walking along the beach- I offered him my spare rod and although he wanted to fish he declined saying if it was gonna break it would be when he used it.
     After he left I switched to  that rod and on the FIRST cast the top foot or two snapped off.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2015/06/11 18:39:55
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/06/11 17:33:12 (permalink)
    I hear ya trev loud and clear
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/03 10:24:54 (permalink)
    Just a local report-not worth a new thread
    Came up in the rain Tuesday-all waters from Albany on were high and brown-was surprised to see SR  around 900 and clear.
    All work and no play this  trip-cant have a place 300 miles away and go up every 3 or 4 weeks without chores.
    Mowed and trimmed  most of Wednesday between showers.
    Getting a bit ready for the final exit this winter and pulling Deer stands and starting to load tools and such for Ct.
    Was nice in the woods-sunny Thursday with expected mosquitos but NO Deer flies.
    Lots of pools in the woods = plenty of local runoff still coming.
    Will still be a part time resident this upcoming season- lawn mowing-trimming-household chores -power washing the house and the dreaded repeated leaf removal-all during the fishing season.
    Kinda looking forward to 2016 trips with NO work  and all play.
    River was down a bit Thursday looked to be bout 6 or 700 and clear.
    Comfortable temps bout 15 deg cooler than Ct.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2015/07/03 10:34:17
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/03 17:55:55 (permalink)
    Plenty of deer flies here........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/04 11:38:02 (permalink)
    I'll take deerflies anytime, compared to greenheads (coastal/beach/estuary pest). They're out!  Bet you've had some fun with them, Trev.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/04 11:52:43 (permalink)
    Charlie we called them horse flies when we used to crab off my grandmother's dock in beach haven west. They were nasty and drew blood in an instant. I got hit by a deer fly mowing the lawn just before... They are out and about!
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/04 14:09:58 (permalink)
    Those green headed nasty, biting, rotten, persistent big flies are the WORST, and once they find you they wont give up till they bite.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/04 19:06:12 (permalink)
    Green head flies were terrible out on the lake today. We were 12 miles out and they kept biting our ankles no matter what we did. Got some water skiing in and was worse once we were wet. Sadly no fish to be found for us so far in a hard 16 hrs put in , 2 days

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/06 19:43:54 (permalink)
    I had a ARRRRRRRUGHHHH reception for me when I returned home after visiting the family in Ohio.I knew what was coming but it still was a pain.My buddy that looks in at the house when I'm gone gave me a heads up that a TREE fell across my driveway just at the top of the hill.Well there it was waiting for me after my 6.5 HR drive,a fairly large dead Pine tree.So after I fed the dog and myself I went to work with the chain saw and about 3 hrs later my drive is usable again,of course the wood is crap for the FP so I threw it in the woods.This was Sunday so today I did a bunch of mowing and wash.later this week I'll be weed wacking and weed killing,it never ends!
    Sept. is looking good to me!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/06 20:31:27 (permalink)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabanus_nigrovittatus
    Whaddya know, Andy, there called horse flies on the  NJ coast.  All I know is there incredibly painful. Sorry bout your tree, Jack. Dicing up softwood for no good reason ain't fun. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/06 20:55:09 (permalink)
    Horse flies, deer flies , black flies or green head flies.. Whatever they are called by region, if they are biting me, they SUCK !!
    as for cutting up wood, I like it for exercise and burning purposes be it soft or hard .. Being forced to cut it up for your sake Jack, yup see above  ^^^^
    Welcome back !!
    We will be heading to the lake again Friday for another chance at seeing what's going on out there then I'm away for 2 weeks..
    Still haven't looked at a vise yet though

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/06 21:16:25 (permalink)
    I like it when the bite and you smack them hard enough to leave a hand print and they just shake it off and fly way. Literally have to squeeze them till they crunch to kill them. Personally they are not as bad as usual here.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/06 21:22:10 (permalink)
    Clint S
    I like it when the bite and you smack them hard enough to leave a hand print and they just shake it off and fly way. Literally have to squeeze them till they crunch to kill them. Personally they are not as bad as usual here.

except out on the lake Clint,
    The green heads showed up in force last weekend.. They were drinking bug spray for breakfast and blood for lunch,,

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/06 21:32:18 (permalink)
    I hear you Rich not as bad is a relative term. Most years mowing the back 40 there would literally be 50 of them around your head. This year only 20 or 30.  Like you said 100% deet is like crack to them. I have found certain colors attract them more. Blues are the worst especially the color of a Mets hat.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/06 21:54:01 (permalink)
    Deer flies are something I'm used to up in the adk's .
    I experienced the green head flies on the coat while vacationing along the beaches . Last year was my first experience with them out on the Great Lake and couldn't believe they were way out there.
    Last week they were not, this past weekend they were in force. They don't buzz around, they just go right for the flesh right away. They suck and I need to find a solution. Don't think colors are a matter to them but when we got wet, they flocked in pretty much on force .
    Suggestions welcome

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/07 07:21:51 (permalink)
    Avon skin-so-soft works extremely well.  Deet and Citronella don't repel them at all.  We have a bottle  for each vehicle.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/08 14:42:21 (permalink)
    fichy
    Avon skin-so-soft works extremely well.  Deet and Citronella don't repel them at all.  We have a bottle  for each vehicle.

Charlie,does that Avon product work on the skeeters also,and where can you purchase it?
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/08 15:41:41 (permalink)
    I'm sure Charlie will respond but we tried it way back in the early 80's for an alternative to the down right nasty stuff call old pal woodsman and fly dope . That stuff worked great but would ruin anything it came in contact with . As for the Avon I can't recall how well it worked but do remember it smelled mighty nice .
    Gonna have to give it a try again as well .

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/08 18:52:24 (permalink)
    Jack, the Avon product doesn't repel skeeters and blackflies at all, only the greenheads.
    Cutter makes a product called skintastic that is a mix of DEET and some of the elements of skin so soft. It works fairly well when there is a mix of critters and doesn't smell like a chemical plant.  DEET is very corrosive on plastic and some materials. Do Not get it on your fly lines or waders! (Gore-Tex is OK)  I got a severe chemical  burn spraying Deet on my hands at high altitude in the Sierra wilderness. I walk with my  trekking pole straps  wrapped over the top of my hand and when I put them down and the sun hit where they had covered , my hands exploded into pain as if they were getting hit with a torch! It was a pretty miserable 2 days back to a trailhead to get out and get some cortisone. I left some lakes filled with nice size goldens, too. SUCKED!  Never cover Deet up with clothes. If you put on long sleeves, wash your arms of any you've applied. I use to grow Pennyroyal, which is in the mint family as a natural repellant. It helps, but doen't work 100% like DEET.
       RJ, I'm not convinced those flies on the lake are the same species, but I don't doubt they are similar. If the skin so soft works it'd be great. Tony might know where an Avon dealer is around you. If she doesn't- I have a huge bottle-I'll send you some.
    post edited by fichy - 2015/07/08 18:59:19
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/08 19:26:40 (permalink)
    fichy
    Jack, the Avon product doesn't repel skeeters and blackflies at all, only the greenheads.
    Cutter makes a product called skintastic that is a mix of DEET and some of the elements of skin so soft. It works fairly well when there is a mix of critters and doesn't smell like a chemical plant.  DEET is very corrosive on plastic and some materials. Do Not get it on your fly lines or waders! (Gore-Tex is OK)  I got a severe chemical  burn spraying Deet on my hands at high altitude in the Sierra wilderness. I walk with my  trekking pole straps  wrapped over the top of my hand and when I put them down and the sun hit where they had covered , my hands exploded into pain as if they were getting hit with a torch! It was a pretty miserable 2 days back to a trailhead to get out and get some cortisone. I left some lakes filled with nice size goldens, too. SUCKED!  Never cover Deet up with clothes. If you put on long sleeves, wash your arms of any you've applied. I use to grow Pennyroyal, which is in the mint family as a natural repellant. It helps, but doen't work 100% like DEET.
       RJ, I'm not convinced those flies on the lake are the same species, but I don't doubt they are similar. If the skin so soft works it'd be great. Tony might know where an Avon dealer is around you. If she doesn't- I have a huge bottle-I'll send you some.

Good words Charlie. I try o never spray the deet on my skin if possible, just my hat or clothes. SSS does work.

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/08 20:48:07 (permalink)
    A couple of decades ago I was fishing the Ausable during black fly season with a buddy from work.  I was using Cutter's and he was using Skin So Soft. The Cutter's kept the little buggers away while my friend was bit to heck.  The collar of his shirt was soaked with blood from the relentless onslaught.  The next day he broke down and purchased some Cutter's and the trip was saved.  Nothing worse than getting eaten alive by those blood thirsty savages.     
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/08 21:16:59 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for the responses .. I'm gonna try Skin so soft.. As TB eluded to , I recall it didn't work as well on black flies as that deadly fly dope.. She (Toni) was an Avon seller back then, we used it on the kids and our first love (pup) Casidy.. Why not try it for the lake on the green heads, sure beats the slippery natural stuff we used last week with no results..
    I asked on another forum about the lake and yes, its just not my stinky boat that attracts them.. Some calle them stable flies.. Wikki says they are ankle bitters which is what I call them aside from other names.. So now we have identified them and hopefully come up with a plan,, If the fish are hitting (Oswego pro-am this weekend, not me) then who cares.. If the fishing is slow then, go fast seems to be effective...
    Great weather ahead and looking towards good times.. Report to follow..

Ps.
    Waterskies, ahh.. The tube for lazy folks is on board this weekend :) 

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: ARRRRUGGGGH 2015/07/09 07:18:20 (permalink)
    If the fish aren't hitting, and you are going to go fast, drop some streamers or mooselicks out in the wake, 10-20 feet behind the boat,  I would never have believed in this technique had it not been suggested by Francis Betters, and it has payed off in spades while traveling from point a to point b in 'daks lakes on both rainbows and landlocks.  Twice in the few times I've gone out offshore on the big pond, I've had the line torn out of my hand by surface wake thrashers while trying to set the rubber band on a slider rig.  Both the bows and the atlantics like a faster speed, and I've had hits right up top just shy of planning.  My son's best landlock (22") soaked me jumping right at the back of the boat, it hit so close to the boat.

When my wife and I first went to the Ausable area, everyone said Skin So Soft for black flies, and it is my experience that in cooler weather it works great at repelling them. Except there are not usually a lot of Black flies in cooler weather.  The drawback with SSS is keeping it on; as soon as you start to perspire it comes off with the sweat, and if you are fishing, you don't notice the lack until you are half bled out.  DEET sticks , but I always feel like I'm wearing a plastic bag, and as Fichy says, it will make mincemeat out of a flyline coating, or anything else plastic. 

I recently bought a thermacell, but never got a chance to get up north to try it, and by the time I get going 8/1, black flies should be history. Device uses butane to heat a plate on which is  placed a pad impregnated with some kind of repellent.  Friends tell me it provides a 15 foot area of skeeter or black fly free space, said it was essential for spring turkey, but also reported that the northern Ontario Black flies didn't even notice it.  My experience with Quebec black flies was take up corncob piping and aromatic tobacco, the cheaper the better.  The locals used an old pump sprayer filled with Old woodsman mixed with white gas, definitely felt covered in Saran wrap after that.  And ramps rubbed over all exposed skin works good, but you'll get thrown in the lake when you return if you are staying in a crowded campground, and if you are camping without access to showers, your spouse may make you buy a seperate tent.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: