Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/29 17:23:42 (permalink)

The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page

Here it is folks.. This will be my running report page, thread for the 2015 season out on the lake.. Feel free to add info, thoughts or general conversation about the Great Lake..
Report: 6/27-28
We got to town with the boat in tow ready to make the eastern shore our home port.. I MUST say again, the folks in the area are fantastic.. Always friendly and helpful !!
The weather could have been much, much better but the ran did not detour us and the lake played just nice enough to let us come out to play..  Once again the Mexico boat launch was EMPTY aside from one trailer/truck so that does mean a little something.. There was a slight 1 foot chop on sat that built to 2 footers in the mid afternoon.. We tried trolling from 40 fow at first and ended up out by the plant in 124 fow which took us most of the day and about 6 miles out..
Water surface temp was a little higher then expected at 56-58 but marked little to no signs until we entered the 100 fow area..
At that point the first rod popped off the rigger and it was a skipper steelhead of about 3 lbs and 20 & 1/2 " on a spoon 40' down by my first mate/acting captain/ gourmet chef .. Now we started to get alittle more excited and playing with the gear.. As I was checking a dipsy/spoon and redeploying it a big tug wacked the lure and I felt a fish (yea!! while holding the rod lol) .. It ended up being the only other fish of the 2 day trip but it was a slammer brown (no weight or length taken) that made the entire trip a fishing success :)
We headed back to port and proceeded to make(well not me) a killer feast for dinner as the heavy rains poured down.. Adding/Bringing the enclosure for the boat made hanging out on the deck until we were happily ready to crash for the evening much more pleasurable. After sleeping comfortable in the cabin listening to the sound of for raindrops on a tin roof was nice indeed..
Day 2 , I was awoken from a text of a local friend that I always will invite to come out to play.. It was still raining hard and my crew was still sleeping so we made a plan start time of 8:30.. On cue he arrived with a KILLER breakfast of fresh eggs, slab pork bacon and some ground pork.. Much grateful to you bro and the first mate/acting captain/gourmet chef for the delicious breakfast !!! We headed out to pretty tranquil seas of 1' chop and tried, tried and tried some more but no fish were to be caught yesterday ..
So this is only the beginning of what WILL become a GREAT LAKE ADVENTURE season with friends, family and good times , the fishing is all bonus now !!

Speaking of fishing,,,, here is the Slammer brown I landed :) Hope to be posting Many more !!

post edited by hot tuna - 2015/06/29 17:26:14

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

163 Replies Related Threads

3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/29 17:55:19 (permalink)
    What a pig nice fish and report Tuna!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/29 18:00:18 (permalink)
    Holy Toad!  Awesome !
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/29 18:06:08 (permalink)
    Congrats on a successful 2015 maiden voyage on Lake O.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/29 19:43:24 (permalink)
    THAT is what is known as a FOOTBALL!! MY guess is 15#.There does n't appear to be any shortage of bait fish out there.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/29 20:18:55 (permalink)
    That is a PIG

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/29 20:52:26 (permalink)
    HOG!
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/30 05:39:56 (permalink)
    Great fish tuna I hope you pointed it in the direction of the river. It be awesome to hook into that on the fly.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/30 08:27:49 (permalink)
    GREAT
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/30 08:31:57 (permalink)
    Yup great time had tuna!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/06/30 20:21:54 (permalink)
    Thanks folks :)
    I will be on the lake (as conditions allow) every weekend except 2 and a few vacation weeks right up until the season ends out there.
    Will try and keep you guys up to date as I see things through my eyes.. This is my sophomore season but really a rookie and novice still learning a lot and hope to be more scientific/specific as things progress out there.
    Working my tail off to get the camper & truck ready to head back thurs and can hardly wait.. If all goes well this year we are looking to make things a little more permanent in 2016, the people and area have always been good to me in the 35 years or so and been my dream to become part of the surroundings ..

Peace & Tuna

chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/01 19:28:19 (permalink)
    A football with a tail....I'd say 15lb...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/01 20:10:51 (permalink)
    My estimate was 13, I have caught a much larger in the river that I pegged at 17..I hear that another site is welcoming you to their forum , you should check it out..

PS,
    uglyfish, no worries about catching that fish in the river.. It has already been consumed and tasted delicious... Sorry man but I'm going to catch every fish that swims the lake this summer , there will be nothing left come sept..lol
    Ah, seriously, a few in the cooler for the season is good with me.. Released many last year and I'm sure many (skipper steel was) in 2015 as well.. We just had to make this one a meal to enjoy :)

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/05 18:36:10 (permalink)
    Just got back from a long strange trip.. We , family and friends were supposed to arrive thurs eve but just way to much stuff got in the way so we departed from home with camper to Selkirk shores at 8am..
    Day-1
    Arrived to a mostly packed campground around noon.. Got set up and took the wife and grandkids out to do a little fishing on a slight chop.. We went out about 4 miles and had 1 rod fire but nobody home.. Kids got bored of that long slow troll pretty quick.. Grandson (4) wanted like heck to use his Spiderman rod but I was the bad guy.. Quit around 5:30.. Get back to a now PACKED campgrounds with a nitwit who put up a tent right on our site... Nah, that wasn't gonna fly by me so it got moved..  Friends arrived and we hung by fire till dusk ..
    Day-2
    Got picked up at 7am and out we went.. Headed straight to the nuke plant(where all the boats were) and trolled, trolled and trolled for about 5-6 hrs and never moved a rod.. Seen some good marks and bait but no takers..
    since the weather was gorgeous we shut the boat down and had a fabulous feast of marinated pork chops and some kind of wild rice.. The chef is outta this world !! After lunch I was first to jump in out in 160fow.. A shock at first , 64 degs but got acclimated .. Time to have some fun and I strapped on the skis ...

Been a very long time since I was skimming across the water but was up on the second try...Buzzed around for awhile before I dumped off , rested then went again... Fun stuff as it was chief engineers turn.. He was much better and while buzzing around started to take one ski off, kind freaked me out so I dumped him..lol
    After that we flew up towards sandy pond and trolled back.. Trolled and trolled for another good 3 hrs.. Big ZIP !!!
    Back to camp and get read for the spectacular fireworks ALL around the lake.. It was great ending of the day sitting on the pier at Selkirk :)
    Day-3
    Back at it 7am this morning with another idea, program in mind.. Shallow, 30fow for browns with stickbaits and spoons 10' down on riggers.. Again trolled, trolled and not a sniff.. Seen another boat hook up but we blanked out..
    So that's the Independence Day report for the Great Lake Adventure..

Myself and crew will be backat it again next Friday-weekend.. I think we are going to back out deep and look for kings again.. Hope something happens SOOOOOOON !!!

Fare thee well:
    Peace & Tuna

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/05 19:11:42 (permalink)
    Well at least it was good times, sometimes that all that matters.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/14 10:01:29 (permalink)
    Here is the report from 7/10-12:
    The workday on Friday started out rough.. got a call at 6am that my son had been injured at work and was heading to the hospital.. A high pressure air hose had come apart and blasted his skin .. When I arrived at work I got news he was in Albany medical and being held overnight for observation.. After my day was complete I went to hospital and seen what damage high pressure air can actually do.. It looked like severe frost bite , the area he was hit (wrist) was complete black skin.. Thankfully there was no foreign debris or air bubbles in his bloodstream and was doing fine so off I headed to the Great Lake Ontario:

day-1
    we went out around 8am (yea we are late movers) to a west wind and about 2' chop.. We headed the 9 miles out to the plant with the rest of the fleet and started our trolling program in 160fow.. Troll, troll and trolled some more without a sniff.. The radio was busy from other boats that were catching fish, just not us.. After another killer breakfast aboard the Daisy, we gave it another 2 hrs and decided to head back to the dock and take a break and fuel up the boat..  Around 2 pm we went back out to a flat lake and plenty of bright sunshine so we headed 6 miles in the opposite direction up to Sandy Pond area..    Gave it a go for an hr or so while we were treated to another delicious lunch of BBQ chicken and baked beans :)
    Enough fishing and time to have fun so we broke out the tube and began to play... The water was significantly warmer then the past week at 68-69 degs and felt awesome.. Tubing was much easier the skiing so that was our afternoon:

Returned to the dock around 6 and went to play miniature golf for the evening.. There was a huge party going on at the chicken shack across the street and at dusk till 10:30 we were treated to an AWESOME fireworks display aboard the Daisy:

day-2
    Another 8am start to a pretty flat lake.. The day before I noticed a lot of fish in the 125fow out towards the plant so off we went..
    Set up our program with spin doc's down 100' and stackers up 30'. The stacker rod with a spoon fired and my buddy landed a nice 10# king..

Wasn't long after the deep rod fires and we had em' then lost em'
    We stuck in that area the rest of the day and picked up another 20# king on a spin doc 100' down..

Fished until around 3 pm then headed in to put the boat to rest for a few weeks (for me) ..

So what I'm seeing/learned is that there was a good west wind prior and while we were there and it helped bring some fish into the eastern basin.. From the reports (chatter) on the radio, it seemed there were quite a few fish being caught and the vast majority were in the 20# or less range.. Lets hope it's a start and LOTS more and the bigguns will be showing up soon :)
    We smoked 1/2 of the small fish last night and it was delicious :)
    I am heading to Rhode Island to do some clamming and wont return to the Great Lake until 7/31 but my crew is going back this weekend to try their luck..
    I can hardly wait to hear and hope the fishing is outta sight this weekend :

Be back with another report in 3 weeks :)
    post edited by hot tuna - 2015/07/14 10:17:44

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/14 13:05:43 (permalink)
    Not a bunch of fish but it sounds like you had a blast Rich,good luck with the clams I hope you hit a good run.

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/14 20:30:07 (permalink)
    Clams got feet?
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/15 06:42:19 (permalink)
    Clams are mostly the muscle that is  called the foot. They're kind of lazy though, you always find them in bed.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/16 11:16:45 (permalink)
    Yup, I'm loving the lazy part by them , me too .. And ohhhh they taste soooo gooood :)
    Great weather out here
    post edited by hot tuna - 2015/07/16 11:18:10

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/16 14:13:11 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Yup, I'm loving the lazy part by them , me too .. And ohhhh they taste soooo gooood :)
    Great weather out here

WHAT......no pictures?????
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/17 10:22:44 (permalink)
    pafisher
    hot tuna
    Great weather out here

WHAT......no pictures?????

Well jack , pictures are few and far as I misplaced my good waterproof camera sometime last year and been relying on my phone for pics lately . Thing is , my lens is cracked on phone so I'm pretty much relying on others and storing my memories in my empty skull ..
    I will get something posted when I return home..
    Weather has been perfect and crowds light. Would expect it will get busy this afternoon - Sunday though.
    Lots of guys have been fishing in the breech way but I haven't seen any catching going on. Thought I seen Fichy way out there waist deep on a sand bar but then realized it was just another spin fisher .
    Fun times indeed but I can't wait to return to the Great Lake adventures in 2 weeks :)

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/17 18:49:43 (permalink)
    If it was 4 am it might have been me.  I still have a very good surf stick and plan to use it later in the summer with big  topwater plugs at night. We're into the dog days- low light and night is right. Still like to be out there- you and the family have fun, HT.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/17 20:12:58 (permalink)
    Tuna awesome stuff man!!!
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/17 20:50:52 (permalink)
    Just got in from the Westerly area beaches for a week of 18 holes every day-eating seafood like a pig and a bit of beach sitting---- no fishing this time around-figured it to be a bit early.
    While on the beaches never  saw gulls working even once -even with the binocs- and saw very little boat action going on-the best up there seems right around the corner.
    Any time now  the fish will  start working hard- have found from August on is generally the ticket- just one guys opinion.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/17 21:35:37 (permalink)
    I'm still in the westerly area rg, great sun nice surf and light pressure . Stuffed ourselves with fresh surf & turf ..
    My 3 rd favorite hang out !!!

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/18 08:06:19 (permalink)
    First time up in a couple of years Rich. Don't know why I stopped as its always a great place to go.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/19 13:53:30 (permalink)
    I have vacationed in Narragansett Pier for the last twenty plus years.  Love what the area has to offer.  I even caught a striper or two fishing the surf off the town beach and blues in the pond between Wheeler and the lighthouse. Surf, sun, fishing and seafood are a great combination to recharge the batteries.  Golf too at Weekapaug and Exeter CC's.

post edited by troutbum21 - 2015/07/19 13:54:48
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/19 16:44:55 (permalink)
    South County rocks! My favorite visual ever is a big striper surfing down the inside of a wave about to smash a Bomber A  silhouetted by the full moon off of Weekapaug Point. And yes, it did hit, and I did land it. Yelled at the moon with pure joy. My best shorebound bluefishing has been in the breachways, and the most adventurous/dangerous fishing the ends of the breachways on an incoming at night. That does it, I'm going back this fall.
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Great Lake Adventures 2015 Report page 2015/07/19 17:30:24 (permalink)
    I like the waters were the Narrow River enters on the eastern end of Narragansett Town Beach.  I've seen many a striper landed by surf fishermen using sand fleas (sand crabs).  Lace two or three on the hook and send it out into the surf.  The stripers cruising back and forth while picking off the sand eels are more than happy for the free meal provided the dogfish don't beat them to the punch.    
    post edited by troutbum21 - 2015/07/19 20:34:16
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to: