Lockedshenango hybrids?

Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2015/07/03 06:48:31 (permalink)

shenango hybrids?

does anyone wade the lake for them as they do at arthur?

7 Replies Related Threads

striperguy
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: shenango hybrids? 2015/07/03 08:34:53 (permalink)
    you don't see much of that at shenango as the lake structure is so much different than Arthur.some guys fish around the bridge pillars but most fishing is from boats in deepwater structure and points.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: shenango hybrids? 2015/07/03 21:49:03 (permalink)
    Totally agree......but there is also one other problem with shore fishing from Sherango. It's called unlimited horsepower, especially on weekends. I've watched the waves and wakes from speed boats just make mud lines out of most shoreline areas in no time at all. I'm saying about 20-40 ft. out nothing but brown water with about zero visibility . It makes it tough fishing for guys on shore.  Pymy's the best for shore fishing  (below ) but Stripers are very rare just the ones that escape the hatchery area. 

Wading on Shenango late evening from shore nice sunset ......no fish.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/07/03 22:28:58
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: shenango hybrids? 2015/07/04 10:38:21 (permalink)
    Rap you certainly wouldn't want to try wading Shenango this time of the year.  Too many old hairy guys with their big boats and loud motors whizzing up and down the shorelines.  If you're not knocked down by the; 3' waves they create when they blow by you or, "clotheslined" with the tow rope(s) they're pulling, you'll likely get run over with a replica of the "Loch Ness Monster" overloaded with screaming kids being whipped around behind the boat!

Because this non-stop action, turns the water to a color of rich brown mud you'll not be able to find your fishing gear.  You'll stand a chance of returning to shore, being disoriented and confused, eventually needing someone to bail you out of jail  because you assaulted the 'Yaker" you thought, ran you over.  (Note: Zelie won't be available for bail, he's still laid up from being attacked by a scalpel, so he says.(I think he tried wading at Shenango)) 

You could wade the river at the outflow but, there is a possibility of getting harassed by some guy with a camera, throwing rocks in the river, where you're fishing!

I'd stick to Pymie, Arthur or, Wilhelm for wading.....   just be aware of........ the old hairy guys in their "Yaks" and Sailboats.

I gotta get............

Wishing you and your's a happy and safe 4th along with tons-o-fun fishing.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: shenango hybrids? 2015/07/04 22:28:32 (permalink)
    The irony of things: new boat only has an 80hp on it so I'm likely to hit Shenango instead of Arthur.  If I take off my shirt and run full open past anyone with a fishing pole I'll be one of the boys out there.  :)  Hell I'm even half Italian.  OH!  

But yeah, nobody wades Shenango.  That's just not a thing.  Much steeper lake than Arthur and pymie.  

Bout a week away from being healed enough to fish... can't wait to get back out there!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: shenango hybrids? 2015/07/05 21:03:49 (permalink)

Taken directly from the lake website............  NOTE THE ADVISORY REGARDING ALGAE BLOOM..........

That ought to keep the old hairy guys and their loud motors at bay, also the junk.... errr... debris floating in the water.  hee hee!!! 

3 July - STATUS UPDATE - The only section of the campground that is closed is the New Duck Loop, sites 226 to 330. The restrooms and shower houses are still in operation for campsites 1 - 225. The lake crested yesterday at an elevation of 902.32 and has started to slowly recede. The lake is still 7 1/2 feet over summer pool, and the Chestnut Run Swim Beach, Golden Run Area, Big Bend Area, and Old Carlisle Road will be closed through the holiday weekend and beyond. THE ONLY BOAT LAUNCH CURRENTLY OPEN IS THE SHENANGO BOAT LAUNCH, 492 West Lake Road, Transfer.
    Also, a blue-green algae bloom has occured at Shenango. Samples were taken and forwarded to a lab, and the results determined the current bloom can and is producing toxin, but in low levels. Therefore, this is not considered to be a Hazardous Algae Bloom (HAB) at this time. As a precaution, lake users are being advised to avoid contact with thick, concentrated levels of the bright green surface algae.
    The US Coast Guard Program scheduled for tonight at the Campground Amphitheater has been cancelled and will be rescheduled at a later date.
    Use caution when boating and be aware of floating debris due to the high pool.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: shenango hybrids? 2015/07/06 11:01:41 (permalink)
    AWWWWWWWW  Shucks....................  ya found me out............  I was playin' hide-n-seeek!  

Hope all is well in SW PA. Walcat; are ya gettin' any fishin' in?

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: shenango hybrids? 2015/07/08 09:43:05 (permalink)
    Passed over the causeway yesterday and kept right on a goin'.  Man-o-man the water looked like coffee that's been doused with too much creme.  Still only one launch open so, I'm thinkin' I should go there and set up my videocam.  There's gotta be some really stupid stuff happening, of which I could post on 'Facebook', that would go 'viral' and make me rich and famous.

Wife saw how depressing the scenery was so, she mentioned that shopping will sometimes make the doldrums pass.  My mind immediately switched to sporting goods stores that can be found in the area and a huge smile began to appear upon my face.

The better half was right, shopping does help on these depressing days.......... she is really excited about her new car.

I gotta get.

Til next time.......  tightlines!
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/07/08 09:44:59

Jump to: