Places to camp and fish

Author
skeelol
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/24 17:16:17 (permalink)

Places to camp and fish

Recently unemployed, I've decided I rather go fishing all summer instead of look for a new job because who needs money anyway. Looking for some places where I can throw a tent and fish, preferably venues that are free to camp or a small fee. Hoping to stick within a 3 hour drive of Pgh as well.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

22 Replies Related Threads

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/24 23:41:16 (permalink)
    crooked creek lake, dirt cheap for a tent, with multiple trails leading to different access points around the lake. Nice bass, crappie and catfish to be had.

Got Walleye???
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/25 04:34:21 (permalink)
    confluence. camp at the yough outflow. tons of opportunities.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/25 10:52:43 (permalink)
    Any of the major three rivers or their tribs with railroad tracks near by. Most of that property is owned by the RR, you can pitch a tent anywhere along there. As long as you don't mind the trains at night...
    Any state campground is usally pretty cheap for just a primative tent site.

Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/25 18:58:14 (permalink)
    I've been wanting to hit Justus Lake up near Franklin, PA which is part of Two Mile Run County Park.  Really nice park, cheap to camp.  Raystown would be another good option, camping at the Susquehannock campground is like $20 a night.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/26 01:09:19 (permalink)
    If I wasn't so danged old, I'd be planning a bicycle/camping trip along Oil Creek and the Allegheny River starting at Rouseville, Pa. and ending at Parker, PA.  Most, if not, all that bicycle trail is paved and there's plenty of areas to set up a camp for a night or three.  There are towns spaced along the trail where you can restock food/water for the next leg of the trip.  I'd use the satellite maps and internet search features to help plan my trip, seek out camping areas and, locate the next 'supply' store.  Cell phone service along the river isn't always 'dependable' so, having a 'pre-plan' may come in handy.

A spare tire, air pump, couple of inner tubes and, some tools for bike repairs would be included with a tent, sleeping bag, cell phone, food/water, and light source.  Umm, I know I'm forgetting something but, I'm sure I'll think of it.

To me, having no place to go and a lot of time to get there would be, the ticket for an extended trip along the banks of the Allegheny River.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

skeelol
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/26 01:46:24 (permalink)
    I was actually thinking of doing a tour of the middle Allegheny, but I rather just drive than bike as that's a lot of stuff to have to carry on a bike along with fishing gear.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/26 09:44:31 (permalink)
    JEB
    Any of the major three rivers or their tribs with railroad tracks near by. Most of that property is owned by the RR, you can pitch a tent anywhere along there. As long as you don't mind the trains at night...

Please - Please - Please...tell us that you typed that as a joke...and that you aren't actually encouraging someone to tresspass and potentially get themselves into a dangerous or deadly situation???

Also a kind word of advice...if an accident does happen along the tracks, you could possibly be inviting a liability claim against yourself or the owners of the website by posting a comment like that.    

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/26 10:10:06 (permalink)
    Skeelol if ya have access to a boat; a float trip from Franklin to Kennerdell or even Emlenton, makes for a great trip on the water.  The nice part about it is being able to take your time, stay as long as you like while enjoying some of PA's best kept secrets.  

Checking the satellite maps can give you some ideas where you might find camping spots on the river banks (some banks are pretty steep) and there are islands (if not under water from all this rain) where camping is possible.  If camping the islands I'd take a "sterno stove" as firewood may be limited.  But then again, after all the rain, it might be hard telling what you will find on those islands.  In addition, I'd be especially aware of the weather (up north) what with all the heavy downpours we've been having.

Personally I think the section of river between Franklin and Emlenton is the most user friendly providing numerous camping sites, boat launches, etc.  Under normal summer pool conditions there can be a few places where a guy may need to 'float the boat' through shallow water, however those spots are short with mostly sand and gravel bottoms.  "White water" doesn't exist but there are places where a guy can upset a canoe or rowboat (and have) if not paying attention.

Knowing you are unemployed at this time I'm thinking you are wanting to keep the cost at a minimal but, canoes can be rented at Franklin, (don't know if they still plan camping trips for people) with pre scheduled pick-up and transportation back to Franklin.

We normally spent three full days on the river, usually leaving Friday morning (so we could get our favorite camping spot) setting up camp Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning for Kennerdell where we would exit sometime Sunday afternoon.  Other times we would leave Saturday morning (before sun-up and the "frog spit" was still on the water) camp overnight then got out Sunday evening at Kennerdell (just as the "frog spit" formed once more)  If the wind was blowing upriver on those  short weekends, by the end of the trip, each of us would leave three  tracks through the sand from dragging our left foot,  right foot and, our azz in between!

A trip between Oil City to Franklin can be made in a day or camping for a period of time is possible in a few areas.  A short area of 'white water' (depending on river height) of about  a 100 yards will be encountered but, a person can walk/float their boat down the sides if they wish.  You may find a place to set up camp in this area but, it was at one time, a favorite fishing spot for the locals.  This section of river provides a great opportunity for 'yakers' wanting to spend a day on the river wishing easy access to boat launches.

Gotta tell ya, the river be it shallow, still has it's "old hairy guys" speeding around with their big motors hoping their "junk will grow"!  How-'bout-it Zelie???

I gotta get!

Wilhelm's a callin' my name.

Tight lines to all............... 
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/06/26 10:18:28

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

holly107
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/26 17:27:53 (permalink)
    the clarion river  up by ridgeway pa clear creek state park area rent canoes walk ride u can do a little of it all try it. I have a camp there
    Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/26 19:02:43 (permalink)
    put your canoe/kayak in chartiers creek near cannonsburg lake and take it to the ohio river in mckees rocks/point state park...tons of great spots to fish/camp....perfect with the rain lately...take the old lady, too
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/26 19:44:21 (permalink)
    If I remember correctly there's a lot of portage involved with that Cannonsburg trip. Tried that roughly 40 yrs ago lot of work and definitely a lot of fun. A little army surplus pup tent,both hafves,Daiwa 5pc minispin pole,couple cans of beans and you're as close to heaven as you can get with your feet still in water!
    Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/26 20:44:05 (permalink)
    not with the rain we've been getting...that whole track is up at least 6 inches...which all ya really need in a noe/yak...and after tonight and tomorrow's rain...you could make it the pointe in less than 8 hrs
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/30 20:36:50 (permalink)
    Isn't the rule in the anf thatyou can set up camp in non camping areas for free?
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/30 21:06:51 (permalink)
    Erie Mako
    JEB

Please - Please - Please...tell us that you typed that as a joke...and that you aren't actually encouraging someone to tresspass and potentially get themselves into a dangerous or deadly situation???

Also a kind word of advice...if an accident does happen along the tracks, you could possibly be inviting a liability claim against yourself or the owners of the website by posting a comment like that.    

That avatar pic looks like an advertisement to run someone over with a boat so relax duud. Good advice I've slept along the tracks...just watch where you stumble to pee in the dark and you'll be fine...that rumble at night sounds like my neighbors house anyway so sounds like I'm home lol

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/06/30 22:14:25 (permalink)
    Accountant
    Isn't the rule in the anf thatyou can set up camp in non camping areas for free?

http://www.fs.usda.gov/ac...ecid=6083&actid=34

I believe you are correct. Used to be called Primitive Camping and was permitted for 10 consecutive days. I did this quite a bit when I was younger. If you scout around you can find some great spots.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/07/01 09:03:02 (permalink)
    Meatball, I really feel sorry for you and your attitude toward trespassing.
    So what you are saying is that it is alright for someone to come to your front yard, set up camp, pee on your lawn...and you would be OK with it and not call the police?
    Yep...that's how it reads to me!

If an avatar is a reflection of the kind of person someone is, then your's says it all...a spazzing blob...
    If you want to know the story behind the avatar that I chose, just ask (as others have) and I will gladly explain it!

Have a nice day.
    I'm gonna go relax now, DUUD...

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/07/01 13:51:45 (permalink)
    ALRIGHT YOU GUYS............................  KNOCK IT OFF or, I'm turning this computer around!

Meatball
    Expert Angler
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/07/14 22:03:34 (permalink)
    I wouldn't equate the railroad tracks the same as someones front yard and I am a spazzing blob which is why I chose the avatar lmao....you can pee in my yard anytime you want since I live in the woods but if I see you in my yard at night unwelcomed im shooting you...just so you know...ill take my chances at the railroad lol

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/07/14 22:07:26 (permalink)
    gotta love the castle doctrine huh?

-- Frank Sinatra
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/07/20 14:51:39 (permalink)
    Meatball
    I wouldn't equate the railroad tracks the same as someones front yard

OK, I'm curious...
    Why wouldn't you???

Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/07/20 14:58:44 (permalink)
    Meatball
     but if I see you in my yard at night unwelcomed im shooting you...

Evidently, you didn't actually read what your beloved "Castle Doctrine" actually says...

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    Re: Places to camp and fish 2015/07/20 14:59:44 (permalink)
    I was warned by cn that the railroads are private property and because of thefts and vandalism they have closed access to everyone. Trespassers will be prosecuted. The railroad cop told me that during archery season after a railroad employee reported seeing me walking down the edge of traintracks.
    Jump to: