Helpful ReplyHigh Point Lake

Author
phishfearme
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 232
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/30 10:38:38 (permalink)

High Point Lake

Headed to High Point Thursday july 2 - any reports?  what's the best launch?  will post when I return.

phish 
tigercat
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: High Point Lake 2015/06/30 16:47:30 (permalink)
I was thinking of trying High Point soon. Either launch is fine, kind of shallow though. They are right across the lake from each other. I'm thinking the beginning of next week for me. Just about everything is high and stained everywhere. Don't know how much all of this rain affects HP.
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: High Point Lake 2015/07/02 23:23:04 (permalink)
WELL How did you do??

weeds??

phishfearme
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 232
Re: High Point Lake 2015/07/03 22:28:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Lindisfarne 2017/11/18 19:30:10
had a very enjoyable day at high point.  the water was high enough from all the rain to enable a fairly easy boat launch at the south ramp.  we were one of two cars at the south ramp and about 11 cars on the north ramp so I would bet that the north ramp would've been better.  the goose **** is terrible.

we motored down towards the dam and fished along the north shore line and stumbled on some very nice jumbo perch - 12 to 13 inchers!! - got three within the first hour and a half  - plus some 10-11 inchers that looked small when placed next to the big ones.  fished around for the next 4 hours or so and ended up with a dozen legal perch (9 inch min) - see photo.

also got some pretty nice crappie - all from one spot, none elsewhere, as well as quite a few gills (I have never caught a decent sized gill from this lake), a LM bass and 3 pike maybe 18 inches.

we were fishing on the outside of the weeds near deeper water in about 13-15 ft of water.  most all other boats were inside of us throwing top lures as anything running deep would snag weeds.  the few people we talked with all caught a few bass and pike but nothing spectacular or very many of them.

we used mainly large fatheads and some creek chubs - and crawlers also but it seemed the worms attracted too many gills - but we did get a number of perch on worms.

note that we had to have caught at least 2 dozen short (8.5 inch) perch - the future looks good.

phish

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Jump to: