Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points: 0
2015/05/21 17:58:39 (permalink)

SALMON RIVER NY

Although some in state plates along with guides posting pics of late may skipper steelhead and skinny dropbacks, along with pennsy, Vermont and Connecticut and massachussetes plates... Everyone just stay home or fish somewhere else already... Out of state plates and fishers pounding the lower town of Pulaski pools this time of year is ridiculous... There's my vent... Its all out now...lol...

40 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/21 21:34:52 (permalink)
    Glad I stayed away from the river the past couple of days--- lol.

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/21 22:01:07 (permalink)
    Trev it was one thing when it was a mystery, and a semi secret... But Facebook posts of skipper steelhead being caught followed by out of state plates later in the day at the same spot is just ridiculous. If you're gonna do it, then fine, but don't exploit it for focks sake... Who wants to bet the tall bridge will have atleast 5 vehicles parked at it this coming Saturday... Luckily this cold front should bring em out to the lake for good ;)
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 06:29:44 (permalink)
    The Snagger's SR FB page has what, close to 3,000 members? They all seem to be pretty  much committed to anytime, anywhere. It has the most activity by far of any of the posts I see. A few of my music friends post a lot of links, but the SR sheet is relentless. I'm sure their private pages are more of the same. I imagine there's some heavily traveled Spey pages.  Some down years aside, I think the coming seasons will have even more traffic than last and piles more of garbage and snagging from Spey to  White pole wonders.  Cheaper gas and a little higher wages and market index gonna poke it up a bit. I expected no less after seeing how many people hauled in heaters and chairs  in the dark to the Church Pool when it was below zero. Or below the bridge.  Nancy is pushing for a fall vacation in Montauk, camping in the sand and  catching the run off the point. She is some tired of bad camping, bad food and bad manners. If it wasn't for the good guys I fish with here, I'd bag it this fall. It was close to reservations only,  some weekends this winter. Uh, I think the secret's out.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 08:38:27 (permalink)
    Fall is the toughest and always has been. Its the late fall and winter months that are really disappointing for sure. But now late may and early June are falling in to exploitation. Very sad. Me, I like the countryside and its people from this area way more than the salmonoids these days. After 26 seasons, the last 13 of them have brought me to that conclusion. Fichy, I know your passion for fishing and something tells me you still have a trip or two each year in ya :)
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 08:51:37 (permalink)
    Gonna double post here... Also it seems to be apparent that many fisherman want strip clubs to come to the area... as of they are entitled to have every vice at their fingertips when visiting the area...Its as if fishing has completely turned in to a jock sport. Fisherman always had an image from what I can remember. And it was usually an original, unique image.... Now around here that image has been eaten up and turned way beyond a fad... Its not an image I choose to fall in to. Not saying I don't/won't fish anymore, just not taking part in the jock movement of disrespectful a-holes that make fun of this town and its men and women that reside here. Its a flat out disgrace to humanity to hear and read some of the crap that people say... OK done venting now... Sorry!!! Lol!!!
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 09:00:40 (permalink)
         It makes it rough to go like you said Charlie but I think we all try to forget the bad experiences and just remember the good ones. I have had so much fun fishing the area I will continue to go till the bad things completely over run the good. There has been many days I have had more fun and not even had a bite then days hooking up all day.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 09:46:19 (permalink)
    hence the reason I gave up guiding and bought a bigger boat :)..
    Made only 1 trip to the SR last season and was very disappointed I didn't get to fish with Jack..
    I will try my best to make that time this season and most likely will be my only river trip..
    Not that I don't like fishing there, I too am tired of the antics .. My best fishing trip of the fall last season was on the Ausable, another popular fishing destination but a totally different vibe.. Besides, there usually is nobody around in the fall up there anyway, well besides leaf peepers and hikers..

post edited by hot tuna - 2015/05/22 09:47:34

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 10:07:14 (permalink)
       Tuna actually headed to a friends camp their for some fishing over the weekend he's in Wilmington. Never fished there but raring to go.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 10:18:06 (permalink)
    uglyfish
       Tuna actually headed to a friends camp their for some fishing over the weekend he's in Wilmington. Never fished there but raring to go.

The river was stocked earlier this week . They do put a large amount of 2 year olds in as well as thousands and thousands of standards.. It will be a bit tough keeping them off the hook and getting a large holdover but fun none the less..
    If you just want to catch a bunch of fish, toss a f-7 or fj-7 gold/black rapala on an ultra light and rip it erratically through the water, kinda like a snagger (lol) and you will clean up..
    I would expect the river will be very crowded as it's a holiday weekend and mostly the biggest of the season but don't be afraid to fight your way through the brush as far from the road as you can and find a nice deep hole on a bend .. that's where the bigguns hide :)..

post edited by hot tuna - 2015/05/22 10:31:20

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 12:19:52 (permalink)
    There's a famous giant rock with  a deep seam undercutting it on a bend. I broke a 5 wt. off at the butt trying to get a monster out from under it. I swam a sz. 1  orange/brown crayfish under it. Caddis should be nuts if you want to flyfish. Or put a flashback pheasant tail under a indicator and lose count of the dozens. Good luck, though I imagine you'll see some crowds. 
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 12:50:58 (permalink)
    Big difference in the attitudes of people.  Me, and many i fish with enjoy our time on the water, are glad to have the comforts the towns offer, but understand we are visiting and show the respect that we would anyplace we were a guest.
    The other prevalent attitude is....what happens in pulaski stays in pulaski....hun hun, hey bevus, hun can we score with that chick, were are the drugs, how much can we drink and still stand up....oh yea, i better get some fish, cause i'm intitled.

wishin i was fishin
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 12:53:22 (permalink)
    not to discount your info or experience C, but shadow rock is probably one of the most popular spots on the river and gets pounded day in, day out..I have caught fish there but rarely fish it..
    For the true holdover and wild fish, I'd suggest the section along river road ski jumps to 86 bridge.  Generally I kayak that section and fish the hard to reach from road side areas.. While it's slow moving water, it does have deep holes at the bends and that's where the lunkers lye ..
    FYI : it's also a keep and kill section if you so choose but it's really the only area that don't get winter kill from anchor ice and my burial spot ;)
    Good luck, have fun and hope you post some trouty pic's..

Sorry for the hijack db but now I'm excited about the ADK's gain

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 13:01:12 (permalink)
    bigbear2012

The other prevalent attitude is....what happens in pulaski stays in pulaski....hun hun, hey bevus, hun can we score with that chick, were are the drugs, how much can we drink and still stand up....oh yea, i better get some fish, cause i'm intitled.

Back in the days of old, we used to show up in the lots with a pickup truck full of salmon for just that crowd so they could bring a fish back home and their wives would let them come back.. Sad but true...
    In the last 20 years, I want nothing to do with that scene and moving forward, I have moved on..
    The lake offers me the most enjoyment of all for salmoniods now..

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 13:14:21 (permalink)
    Yup, you got guys in the bars who purposely hit on married/or single women too... Hoot hollar and scream absenities as if they have a chance.

Ausable??? Been literally 23 years since I fished it... In July. Mosquito's in size 16-20 will catch any rising trout... Simple dubbing body emerges with a zlon or hi Vis single post tied 3/4 way up the hook on a backward 45 degree angle in size 18-22 on a tight line straight downstream swing above and through pocket water always cleaned up the rainbows
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 13:35:54 (permalink)
    you are 100% on the mosquito.. Downside is, I give up on the river after mid June due to rising water temps.. Once it hits 70, I'm out.. Had to many fish hemorrhage from stress and having to release a floater is not my bag..
    Time to fish there is late April before they stock until mid June then again in sept until Oct-15th 

uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 14:03:31 (permalink)
        I haven't touch my spinning rod since last year almost 100% fly guy now. I get alot more joy out of it. The challege of fishing the small creeks will have me casting like Charlie one day I hope. Have a great weekend guys be safe lately it seems like every idiot is on the road.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 14:26:34 (permalink)
    Hear ya tuna, but remember I'm talking 1990-92 when I fished it in early July usually. Maybe one trip was June. Don't think the water was near 70 the times we fished... Have a great weekend everyone!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 14:29:45 (permalink)
    That's cool but I will say the same for my fly gear. I get enjoyment from fishing more then the tools in my hand

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 15:54:44 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    not to discount your info or experience C, but shadow rock is probably one of the most popular spots on the river and gets pounded day in, day out..I have caught fish there but rarely fish it..

Yeah you are, and that's not the spot, but who cares? Go fish and have fun however you do it.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 17:57:40 (permalink)
    My bad if that's how it came across, was not my intent .
    As you said, having fun is what it's all about .
    Hope everyone has a great weekend where ever and how ever they play. My hats off to those who are stuck working and those who protect our freedom

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 19:57:01 (permalink)
    bigbear2012
    Big difference in the attitudes of people.  Me, and many i fish with enjoy our time on the water, are glad to have the comforts the towns offer, but understand we are visiting and show the respect that we would anyplace we were a guest.

Yep that is how it is. Cracking beers at 0900. Drinking and driving, littering and really not caring about anybody or anything except for themselves and their groups.  Can't count the tomes I have heard '' I drove 6 hours so I deserve..........''

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 20:49:55 (permalink)
    Gotta agree with Andy-can remember having the whole upper river pretty much to myself mid to end of May-heck when I started even  on many days in April--not anymore.
    Fish cant stand that kinda pressure IMHO.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/22 22:09:48 (permalink)
    I probably won't wet a line over the weekend but will be scouting a stream tomorrow with my cousin  in Penna. that has been stocked with fingerling trout for several years  .He'll have his gear and I'll watch him along with my best friend.We won't spend any time in one place as we want to survey the entire stream.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/24 10:45:11 (permalink)
    Have fun jack!!! You trev, internet really killed it in the past eight years. We used to stop coming up between Kate march and sometimes a trip or two in April. But in those days water was unpredictable... With social media and what not its definitely spoiled it.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/24 11:18:02 (permalink)
    Conducted our survey yesterday on that stream and it was a great day ....weather wise but the stream was not what we thought it would be,Much narrower then we thought and it flows through several small coal region towns that takes away that wild feeling.Did n't wet a line although we did see a couple fish while looking off a bridge.So we got that out of our system and now I will be doing chores all weekend.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/28 20:17:34 (permalink)
    Quit belly aching.....Those fishing tourists bring much needed cash to your town and that's why this whole fishing scheme exists in Pulaski....Complaining about beer drinkers at 0900 is like complaining about guys using night crawlers next to your glo bugs.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/29 09:28:26 (permalink)
    Go fukk yourself chartist...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/29 16:09:51 (permalink)
    dimebrite2
    Go fukk yourself chartist...

I'll second that Andy! You know he is one of the snagging clowns that's for sure.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: SALMON RIVER NY 2015/05/29 17:49:05 (permalink)
    Did someone fart??   Because something here came from an az$hole.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: