Daisy Mae Rides

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2015/05/10 09:35:21 (permalink)

Daisy Mae Rides

Whew, It's been an all too short vacation living aboard the Daisy Mae, but now I really need a vacation !!!The fishing went from zero to 100 in less then a split second out there and we hit it perfectly .. Weather was great and on Friday the fishing was off the hook.. We couldn't keep the lively herring in the water more then 15 mins before we were hooked tight to a cookie cutter 30-35" Striped bass..The one spot we had the DEC tracking transmitter tagged fish right to our lines.. That was cool as all heck :)Anyway, the water temps rose from 58 to 63 degrees in about 3 days and the "bait" became tougher to bite due to them on the spawning mode.. I have to think the Striped Bass will do the same in the upcoming week..Once they (stripers) spawn , the bolt back to the sea and the Daisy Mae will be pulled from her dock, washed down and head for the Great Lake Ontario !!So here is just a few that came over the gunnel in the past week.. Hopefully a few more will as well on the evening trips this week:
post edited by hot tuna - 2015/05/22 20:26:59

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

19 Replies Related Threads

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/10 10:42:03 (permalink)
    Wow great fishing RJ, puts my one little walleye to shame

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/10 20:20:51 (permalink)
    I can't help but think the slot limit THE WAY SOME PEOPLE RESPECT THE FISH will only make quality fish like those common in years to come. Great job, bro. Lots of happy fish there. Both that they went back, and made the fishers smile. Cool sheet right there.  Hope the evenings are just as good.  Get a 40. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/11 19:45:27 (permalink)
    Thanks Charlie.. Stopped at the dock after work and it looked ugly out there today..
    Bad streak of luck kept me off the river last weekend.
    From my knowledge of the Mighty Hudson,
    a week to go, if mother nature plays nice.. It hardly does though after mothers day.. We shall see.
    Boat gets pulled either way in 2 weeks..

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/11 21:23:51 (permalink)
    Awesome awesome!!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/17 09:28:20 (permalink)
    Well the hot action has come to a close in my area of the Mighty Hudson.
    We fished a few evenings and 3/4 day yesterday.. Only 2 bites to show for the effort..
    Still catching lots of bait but I'm seeing the stripers on the graph around mid column which to me means they are heading south..  Not hearing of any other good reports out there and the resident Charter Captain has pulled his boat and is now fishing way south in the Newburg area.. They did 6 fish yesterday..
    Going to give it a few morning efforts this week in hopes of stragglers but most likely pulling the Daisy Mae out on thurs to clean her up and prep for the Great Lake Ontario (once I get my truck back) ..
    It was again another decent striper season for me but it goes oh so fast.. 
    See ya soon and will be posting pics of Great Lakes fish up next.. 

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/17 11:32:23 (permalink)
    They are still doing well with stripers down by Kingston.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/17 15:36:13 (permalink)
    My cousin Glenn was out with a guide on the upper Chesapeke Bay this week on Thursday and tells me he caught 75 Stripers,his buddy a few less,and the guide even caught 50 (I did n't ask if he got a refund),all in the 20" to 32" range.It seems the big ones were not in the area.They were fishing with some kind of jigs,the guide supplied everything.They were out 9 hrs but that total seems a liitle high.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/17 15:55:36 (permalink)
    A friend and I came into the Ct river launch under the 95 bridge one day after a slow morning in the Sound. We saw a disturbance under the bridge and ended up catching school bass to about 2 feet one right after the other for some time.
     A State fish check guy was doing a survey when we arrived at the nearby launch and we estimated we had caught and released at least 50 Stripers in short order. He had trouble believing us as nobody was doing well on the sound that AM.
     We pointed out the disturbance to him over under the bridge- They were schooled on bait and still working hard.
     Some days and in some spots -- it 'just happens'.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2015/05/17 15:57:10
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/17 16:53:20 (permalink)
    Fishing the Mighty Hudson is apples to oranges compared to those areas , the sound, coast and Chesapeake .
    We are fishing mostly spawning cows with live bait and my personal best day was 13 fish on an outing. Know many good striper fishers up here and their best days are nowhere near those numbers of over 20 fish days.
    Maybe some day I will give the coast a try but for now I'm pretty content with what we got here in my back yard. Only issue is the new regulation ( no fish kill between 28-40" ) which means its very difficult to catch a keeper .
    Not quite done yet as I will fish between sun up and 2 pm this week before work, I'm on 3-11 pm .
    Gonna leave the Daisy at dock for another week as grandkids will come out to play next weekend.
    Time to open the swimming pool !!

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/18 11:18:03 (permalink)
    Yes my cousin mentioned the boiling bait fish all around them r3g3 so maybe he did catch that number as they were at it for a full day.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/21 15:44:10 (permalink)
    The wind has kept me off the water this week until today. Winds were 5-10 mph but from the south on a falling tide so there were some rollers, small white caps.
    Didn't have high hopes and bait has become sparse . Managed 2 baits in about an hrs jigging , put them on and got a 25" striper which inhaled my 12" herring. Badly gut hooked ( my first this year ) and it was within the keeper regulation so in the cooler it went.
    Tried a few more hrs and only got 1 other bait and no sniffs .
    Now I'm at work wishin I was fishin.
    One last effort on Sunday with kids then my 2015 striper season is officially over. Not a bad one as we got somewhere between 20-30 fish , just way to short of a season.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2015/05/21 15:52:56

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/21 21:48:31 (permalink)
    At least ya got out and after a few. I missed 2 good weeks on Oneida due to working 14 straight days.  Not to mention a bad cold to boot. Work this weekend and then a week off for some R&R and hopefully a few fish in the cooler.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/21 22:02:24 (permalink)
    Ride...sally...ride!!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/22 10:04:43 (permalink)
    Like said, it was hooked badly, even with a circle hook and within the current regs so it's going on the grill this weekend.. Even if it was outta the keeper status, I would have a hard time throwing back a dead striper..

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/22 22:13:17 (permalink)
    I bet that size is tasty Rich.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/23 06:51:54 (permalink)
    I hope I get a few that size this weekend. That's getting to be a fish to be very happy with on the fly from shore. I'll probably get a steady stream of 18" rats. That's OK, though, they still pull pretty good.  I'm glad you got one to bring   home, instead of the steady parade of hogs.   I'm gonna venture a guess this backwards slot limit thing won't last too long. Daisy Mae was a pretty successful boat, she'll take her Mojo out to the Lake with her.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/23 10:14:27 (permalink)
    Charlie, I too hope you put the smack down on a bunch of those "rats".. Lol.. I would take them all day, any day and on a fly pole no less.. Sounds like fun times indeed !! I have only been fortunate enough to catch a few on that set up and only in the trb.. Really wanted to make it part of my business at the time but it just wasn't consistent enough, as you know what we face here on the Mighty Hudson..
    Enjoy the time on the water and again, my apologies for my stupidness  

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/24 10:48:16 (permalink)
    Browns have been getting caught in 12' since a week ago... Can't wait for the "Mae" to come around!!! Have fun charlie...
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Daisy Mae Rides 2015/05/25 20:32:34 (permalink)
    Lessons learned..
    1. Wash down system will be installed
    2, move/mount  the giant 84qt marine cooler to top of transom
    3. change wiring from fish finder/ chart plotter to aux battery.
    4. while the stereo system / amp is great, the speakers weep.. Install 6X9's
    5. Have a blast aboard the Daisy Mae as always ..

ADK' Lakes look out , here she comes

Jump to: