Helpful ReplySave Somerset Lake!

Author
Amygirl
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 80
  • Reward points: 0
2015/05/19 14:29:49 (permalink)

Save Somerset Lake!

Please take a minute to save this amazing lake. I've never caught bigger fish anywhere until I started fishing here! Some of my best fishing memories!  Then they had to drain the lake because of the dam and the fish started dying. To raise enough support they had to get the community interested so they are offering more trails and facilities for everyone. Somerset could use some more outdoor recreation but mostly please help save this lake. It only takes a minute to vote, you can cast your 10 votes at once and you can vote once a day. There are only 14 days left. Thank you guys! :)

https://www.state-assist.com/cau…/1500198/somerset-lake-park

Share on facebook!
post edited by Amygirl - 2015/05/19 15:10:11

I don't eat catfish anymore. One day I caught one, it was the most fun I ever had catching a fish and when i held him, he started talking to me. I respected that fish, and I promised him i wouldn't hurt his kind ever again, but crappies ..well, those are fair game.
davef
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 980
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/19 17:12:07 (permalink)
I get a file not found when I click on your link.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/19 20:44:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Amygirl 2015/05/31 15:53:58
https://apps.facebook.com/sf_neighbor_assist/

Scroll down, click "vote now", then find Somerset Lake on the map.
davef
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 980
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/20 08:10:19 (permalink)
Guess the problem was I don't have a facebook account.
Amygirl
Novice Angler
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/20 13:01:35 (permalink)
Yes, sorry i found out you need either a facebook or twitter account to vote.

I don't eat catfish anymore. One day I caught one, it was the most fun I ever had catching a fish and when i held him, he started talking to me. I respected that fish, and I promised him i wouldn't hurt his kind ever again, but crappies ..well, those are fair game.
accordbw
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 374
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/21 11:33:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Amygirl 2015/05/31 15:54:12
The link you posted I think cut off. Here is a link for you. Thanks for sharing this. 
 https://www.state-assist.com/cause/1500198/somerset-lake-park

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/22 21:50:42 (permalink)
Don't have and won't have a FaceBook account, do not need more people looking for me!    Buttttt inquiring minds need to know;  wassupp with Somerset and, is there other ways we may help your cause?

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Mags00
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/23 16:36:21 (permalink)
Done, use to fish that lake a lot with my parents when I was a teenage, and did pretty well for bass and catfish and some crappie here and there.  Haven't been there in years but have herd that it's not the same anymore due to the draw down.
Amygirl
Novice Angler
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/26 14:50:36 (permalink)
Thank you for sharing accordbw! All the updates and info can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/283063118496735/. As of yesterday we are at #12! Thank you for all of the support, it helps a lot! BeenThereDonethat, I am not sure I will ask and find out though. Mags00, sadly in my experience it has gotten worse every year since they drained it. From what I've been told Somerset Lake was one of the top rated lakes for Musky, and I have seen some huge ones come out of there. Lots of big bass, catfish, carp great crappies and many other species of fish. Hope the crappie fishing is at least good this year. Almost seems like with the water being so low you need waders or a boat to get some of the good ones.

Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/28 21:28:17 (permalink)
Hmmm...I like the signature but when a catfish talks to me I wanna use him for bait to draw in his oversized mom to mishandle for a pic lol

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                 -- Frank Sinatra
Amygirl
Novice Angler
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/29 08:49:21 (permalink)
Hah
Meatball
Hmmm...I like the signature but when a catfish talks to me I wanna use him for bait to draw in his oversized mom to mishandle for a pic lol

Hah! Nice! She would probably eat him too, crazy cats.

Amygirl
Novice Angler
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/29 09:01:55 (permalink)
2nd annual LAKE FEST on Saturday, June 13, 2015 10am-6pm
-Food
-Live Music
– Raffle (see below)
-Face Painting
-Kids Activities
-Organized Bicycle Rides
-Guided Birding Hikes
-Guided Paddle Trips
-Geocaching
-Fishing- no license needed for the event. PA Fish and Boar Commission sponsoring a family fishing day. Fishing gear and instruction provided.

(I think there is usually a carp tournament, don't quote me on that because I'm not positive if it's a public.)

Other ways you can support :

http://www.somersetconservancy.org/slac/
  • Write a letter to your state and county representatives to voice your view. Click here to go to the online letter generator,  we will send it in on your behalf.
  • Be involved, we can use highly motivated individuals and groups to join in this effort.
  • Join the Somerset County Conservancy
  • Contribute financially to the fund by clicking donate below(on the site above), any amount you can give shows your support. All funds will be used in this effort
Voting is almost up! June 3rd it will be done we are #6 last time i checked. Thank you guys for the support!

Amygirl
Novice Angler
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/29 09:10:01 (permalink)

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/29 11:43:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Amygirl 2015/05/31 10:44:27
Amygirl, if you haven't already, you or somebody else associated with the effort at Somerset might want to get in touch with the Glade Run Conservancy to see if they can offer some guidance on how to get things done and to get some ideas for fundraisers.  Not sure of the timetable for repairs, but last spring I think the state and the PFBC finally agreed to put up nearly $4 million combined to repair the dam.

Their website is here: https://gladerunlakeconservancy.org/
Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Glade-Run-Lake/166986573363947?fref=nf

Also pretty sure that the southwest region commissioner Rocco Ali was pretty involved with getting the state to find some money for the project, and from the couple of conversations I've had with him, he seems like a friend of fishermen.  
Amygirl
Novice Angler
Re: Save Somerset Lake! 2015/05/31 10:46:03 (permalink)
rsquared
Amygirl, if you haven't already, you or somebody else associated with the effort at Somerset might want to get in touch with the Glade Run Conservancy to see if they can offer some guidance on how to get things done and to get some ideas for fundraisers.  Not sure of the timetable for repairs, but last spring I think the state and the PFBC finally agreed to put up nearly $4 million combined to repair the dam.

Their website is here: https://gladerunlakeconservancy.org/
Facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Glade-Run-Lake/166986573363947?fref=nf

Also pretty sure that the southwest region commissioner Rocco Ali was pretty involved with getting the state to find some money for the project, and from the couple of conversations I've had with him, he seems like a friend of fishermen.  

Thanks rsquared! I will pass that info along!

Jump to: