Using flies with spinning outfit

Author
bcain
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
  • Reward points: 0
2015/05/04 22:28:07 (permalink)

Using flies with spinning outfit

I have been thinking of trying some flies with a small slip float. The float would give me the weight to cast on smaller streams. What are your thoughts? Anyone ever try it?

15 Replies Related Threads

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/04 23:23:46 (permalink)
    We catch quite a few trout & Crappie dragging flies on the local lakes,don't know about streams but don't see why it wouldn't work. We use flouro for leaders as it sinks a little.  sam
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/05 06:07:20 (permalink)
    Water bobber, 5 or 6 foot lead,cast slow crank. This is old school did it many  years ago and still today. Works well.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/05 09:27:14 (permalink)
    I'll drift egg patterns or nymphs under a float once in awhile with my noodle rod in DHALO areas if spinners and jigs aren't working.  On a small stream where all you'd be doing with a fly rod is roll casting, it's not the best method, but it works.  

On lakes that are stocked with trout, I've found that fishing flies under a float can be really effective as the water warms and trout are actively feeding on the surface.  I almost always use a noodle rod when I fish for trout, be it on a stream or in a lake.  I'll put on an elk hair caddis or similar dry fly with one tiny split shot about 18" above the hook, and use a cigar float set 5-7 feet above the hook.  

The tiny shot will provide just enough weight to slowly pull the fly through the water column, and the weighted cigar float lets you get a good cast.  Two of the biggest stocked rainbows I've ever caught came on this method.  You can also use nymphs or other wet flies like this.  
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/05 10:51:44 (permalink)
    Dries of wet flies ?
    Dries you can use a casting bubble
    wets you can just you a small float
    solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/05 13:16:08 (permalink)
    Do it all the time. I even have a fly rod but never use it. Sometimes i put a small bobber on, to get it out if the creek is wide enough. Other time just a small split shot will do.
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/05 16:33:55 (permalink)
    Jeb, that's what I was thinking. A small slip float. Bare wit me because I know very little about fly fishing. I have just been thinking of trying it after my nephew recently got into fly fishing. Now Jeb, why would you use a casting bubble for the dry flies and float for the wet? I am really wanting to start trying this and trying to learn the ins and outs. Thanks for the info guys.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/05 18:02:13 (permalink)
    i've been wondering the same and found this:

http://www.fishsalmonriver.com/Fishing-Flies-from-Spinning-Gear

Pro Angler
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/07 17:10:56 (permalink)
    over here in the flatlands, fly rods are not seen often.  when we were kids fishing the municipal lakes, i would often use a spinning rod, a float and a mcginty or royal coachman  to catch scores of panfish.  much more fun than redworms and maggots.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/07 23:44:09 (permalink)
    Timeline: Vacation Land, sometime during 1978ish.  

Eat crappies and bluegills..... seriously???  It would take all day to clean those dinky things and a person would need a ton of em!  I'll stick to the cats and eyes with a side of bass now and then.
    *****************************************************************************

Timeline: Lake Wilhelm, the following weekend.

So, we just floated some baits under a bobber and we caught a bunch of crappy and I gotta say it was fun and I'm surprised they are much bigger than I expected.  However, I'm still uncertain about cleaning these things and still wondering if it will be worth the effort.
    ****************************************************************************

Timeline: Vacationland, that night.

Geeeez.........  had no idea a guy could fillet all those fish, place them in foil with a slice of onion and, have them on the hot coals in such a short time!
    ****************************************************************************

Timeline:  Fastforward; May 7, 2015

Reading forums on Fish/USA boards and thinking about fishing that day on Lake Wilhelm, floating a artificial bait under a slip bobber, catching crappy with an old friend.  Remembering how fast my friend filleted those fish and, his patients with teaching me the 'trick of the trade'.   But the greatest part is remembering the smile on his face, when he saw my expression, when I tasted my first bite of crappy.  He's been gone, better than twenty years now, but I can still see that smile and hear him ask; ready to do it again tomorrow?

I still visit that same spot when I'm on Wilhelm and if I'm taking others out for their first fishing adventure; I head straight for the log where we tied off, so many years ago.  Yeah the log is still there, be it worn from weather and so many years gone by.  Some of yinz may know the log, its the one just west of launch #4.

Still fish the artificial bait under slip bobbers, still putting crappy in the basket and, still enjoying every bite of crappy as if it were my first.   Even though I can't fillet them things nearly as fast as my buddy did but, I ain't given up!

The bait................. well, keep this a secret...............  the infamous black ant, tossed out under a slip bobber, using spinning gear!!!

Tightlines Charlie, wherever you may be wetting your lines!

PS.  I told em about the ant Charlie but; I didn't say anything about the Dogwoods, that's still a secret!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/08 10:17:45 (permalink)
    beenthere, don't tell about the secret of (when the oak leafs are the size of a squirrel's ear) is the time to go. Also please keep quiet about how tasty they are,I rather watch guys throw them back because they don't know how good they are.  lol   sam
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/08 10:55:49 (permalink)
    bcain
    I have been thinking of trying some flies with a small slip float. The float would give me the weight to cast on smaller streams. What are your thoughts? Anyone ever try it?

Be careful with the slip float, if you are planning to retrieve.  If done properly, the slip bobber can mimic the deadly suspended pause that stripping fly line does, but not nearly as well.  You'll end up with your fly a lot shallower than you are hoping, if just doing a steady retrieve.  Pack some weighted bobbers as well if the fish are preferring a steady retrieve.  Also with the slip bobber, if using in current, make sure you add a bit more weight to get it down.  
    I enjoy fly tying in the Winter and I primarily fish from a fly casting unfriendly boat, and didn't want to give up tying.  It is hard to mimic the stripping/suspending retrieve of a fly rod, but other than that, the flies will work just about the same.  I usually take a productive fly, and reproduce it on a jig hook though, since most spin fishing will need the added weight.  Much easier to change to something else, without having to mess with the shot if not needed on the next offering.  
    H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/08 11:00:56 (permalink)
    I do it during the winter when i'm tired of my fly line freezing up. Have caught lots of fish using flies on a normal rod. Just need a good bobber/indicator to give you some weight. 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/08 11:17:38 (permalink)
    bcain
    Jeb, that's what I was thinking. A small slip float. Bare wit me because I know very little about fly fishing. I have just been thinking of trying it after my nephew recently got into fly fishing. Now Jeb, why would you use a casting bubble for the dry flies and float for the wet? I am really wanting to start trying this and trying to learn the ins and outs. Thanks for the info guys.

To answer for Jeb...

The casting bubbles for drys, for both the idea of all of the weight is in the bubble, and it is less visible.  The dry you want to stay at the surface and be what the fish is ready to eat.  An orange bobber next to it, might make a few fish shy.  If fishing dry, watch the fly itself, set the hook immediately after you see the strike.  Unless using a noodle rod, you are at a distinct disadvantage of hooking the fish, than a long fly rod, with dealing with the slack line.

Wet fly, although not many people really use "wet flies", more nymphs, attracters or streamers, are basically a jig without the weight built in.  You would cast these and either let float down without jigging, add a twitch, retrieve at whatever rate the fish are wanting.  Try all, and stick with the one the fish say is working!  The bobber is what you are watching, much like fishing with a minnow & bobber.

Using a fly rod for flies, is clearly the better option for most situations.  The fly rods are made for the task of casting light offerings.  They are also long and with your hand stripping, are able to set the hook with much more slack line than a spinning outfit.  That said, if not in an open area without overhanging branches or on a boat with a lot of items to get hung up on, spin fishing is easier.  That and the fact that most of us on this site have had a spin fishing rod in our hands since 4-5 years old, and one of our favorite things to hold.  

Using a fly rod is not very hard.  Get one, and within 4-5 times out, you will likely have the hang of it.  Even better to practice in an open field without rocks an other items to snag you up in the open water.  Within a year or two of using it, you will be good enough to catch fish in most PA situations.  The guys that stick with it and have a healthy obsession with it, are on another level, like with anything.  At that point, invest time and money to make it work in just about any situation.  Most of those guys like the challenge of using a tool that isn't necessarily the best for the situation, but making it work.  But, the basic concept of fly fishing, really isn't all that hard.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/08 11:50:40 (permalink)
    mr.crappie
    beenthere, don't tell about the secret of (when the oak leafs are the size of a squirrel's ear) is the time to go. Also please keep quiet about how tasty they are,I rather watch guys throw them back because they don't know how good they are.  lol   sam

Sorry Sam................... My bad  .......I guess I was still thinkin of how tasty salted minnows were on pizza.

But, you have my word about the oak leaves........  not a word!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re: Using flies with spinning outfit 2015/05/11 13:51:39 (permalink)
    Porktown
    bcain

To answer for Jeb...

The casting bubbles for drys, for both the idea of all of the weight is in the bubble, and it is less visible.  The dry you want to stay at the surface and be what the fish is ready to eat.  An orange bobber next to it, might make a few fish shy.  If fishing dry, watch the fly itself, set the hook immediately after you see the strike.  Unless using a noodle rod, you are at a distinct disadvantage of hooking the fish, than a long fly rod, with dealing with the slack line.

Wet fly, although not many people really use "wet flies", more nymphs, attracters or streamers, are basically a jig without the weight built in.  You would cast these and either let float down without jigging, add a twitch, retrieve at whatever rate the fish are wanting.  Try all, and stick with the one the fish say is working!  The bobber is what you are watching, much like fishing with a minnow & bobber.

Using a fly rod for flies, is clearly the better option for most situations.  The fly rods are made for the task of casting light offerings.  They are also long and with your hand stripping, are able to set the hook with much more slack line than a spinning outfit.  That said, if not in an open area without overhanging branches or on a boat with a lot of items to get hung up on, spin fishing is easier.  That and the fact that most of us on this site have had a spin fishing rod in our hands since 4-5 years old, and one of our favorite things to hold.  

Using a fly rod is not very hard.  Get one, and within 4-5 times out, you will likely have the hang of it.  Even better to practice in an open field without rocks an other items to snag you up in the open water.  Within a year or two of using it, you will be good enough to catch fish in most PA situations.  The guys that stick with it and have a healthy obsession with it, are on another level, like with anything.  At that point, invest time and money to make it work in just about any situation.  Most of those guys like the challenge of using a tool that isn't necessarily the best for the situation, but making it work.  But, the basic concept of fly fishing, really isn't all that hard.

Porktown: Thanks for replying for me.... I was out of town in NYC all last week on business and didn't have time to look at the site.
     I was a bait trout fisherman for years and still mostly am. About 10 years ago I watched my brother in law out fish 10 to 1 on a medium sized mountain stream filled with stockies one day in May. He was fishing with his flyrod and by no means was he an expert then or is he now. They would rise and take his griffins gnat time and time again. The fish would move out of the way of my bait when i drifted the same hole, I was so frustrated. When I got home from that trip the next day I went staright to my garage and pulled out a $15.00 fly rod/reel combo I had for years but never used. I ran to Wallyworld and bought some cheap WF 4W line, backing, leader loop connectors and some leaders,tippet material and some cheap mosquito flies. Within an hour I was back on my local stocked stream and on about the 20th cast I caught my first trout on a dry.  So to validate your point, the basics are not that hard. I by no means am an expert fly fisherman, even now. But I catch a few every year when I decide I'm tired of dunking minnows. Good example, last night I was fishing a local stream with minnows and I caught six, but the fish were rising and I bet if I had my fly rod I wouldve gotten into a few more...... 

BCain: you can pick up a decent starter rod/reel combo from Cabela$ or B**** Pro or even Fishusa for a resonable price. It is enough to get you going. I would give it a try....
    post edited by JEB - 2015/05/11 13:53:51
    Jump to: