Wooden Egg Bobbers

Author
dhoff024
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/28 01:15:29 (permalink)

Wooden Egg Bobbers

Usually when I am fishing with live bait I like to use the wooden yellow or orange egg shaped bobbers with the metal eye at the end. I just like them because I can cast farther with them I also think its because I grew up using that kind of bobber. I buy them everytime I go to buy bait. I went online today thinking I could order a bunch in bulk so I had them, it doesnt seem like you can find them anywhere and it seems like it is just a pa thing for some reason alot of people have no idea what you are talking about. Anyone else use these bobbers and find that other people dont know what they are? Also anyone know where to get them other than some of the local bait shops? If I cant buy them online then I will probably just buy a bunch next time I go down to shooters to get some bait. I just found it weird that there was no trace of them online anywhere.

28 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/28 11:01:56 (permalink)
    If you live anywhere near Somerset I have at least 10 laying here in an old junk box you can have.  Your welcome to them. I'd mail them to you but postage probably costs more than the bobbers.
    Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/28 14:55:08 (permalink)
    If you ever go on ebay to the freshwater fishing those bobbers are always there. A lot of times in bulk
    dhoff024
    New Angler
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/28 19:23:53 (permalink)
    I live in beaver county so I think your a ways away but thank you for the offer I appreciate it. I use them all the time I just thought it was weird that it was kind of a pa thing when I talk to some people they have no idea what im talking about. I am always on ebay I will have to look at that and see if I can find them I looked yesterday and couldnt seem to find them but it would be nice if I could find them in bulk I use them all the time when I fish.
    dhoff024
    New Angler
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/29 17:44:48 (permalink)
    This is off topic from my original post but I didnt feel like making another one I bought a minnow trap and am wondering if anyone knows the best places to put them and the best places to put in them to catch minnows. I used one before and we put it in the creek at bradys run with some dry dog food in it and had some success but someone told me you cant put minnow traps in bradys run creek anymore? I live in patterson which is beaver falls I am just wondering can I put one in any creek and what should I put in for bait? Is there spots in the creek I should look for that should be best to catch a good amount. Thanks for the advice in advance.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/29 17:53:45 (permalink)
    I'm sure most guys will not give out the streams and areas they trap or sceine minnows, I know I won't. Did it once and had a couple of guys work the creek over one year to where I could not get any. Sometimes a farm creek will do the job or find a small stream that feeds into a larger creek or even a river.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    dhoff024
    New Angler
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/29 20:20:40 (permalink)
    I dont want anyone to give up there spot or where they get them I guess I am just asking what to look for so that I can look and find a spot that I might try. I guess I dont know what to look for to even find my own spot. But thanks for the reply I didnt want it coming across like I just wanted people to give up there spot but I am going to look for some spots this week. Do I look for a deep hole in the creek? I am going to scope out some locations and see if I can find one. Thanks again
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/29 22:03:08 (permalink)
    I remember the days it didnt matter where in the yough you threw a trap in couple hours later it was full . hell I remember carp trying to get in one . not no more It take scouting to find nice ones .
    BRob757
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 00:27:16 (permalink)
    I love wooden egg bobbers.  That is all I will use.  Simply because they cast farther and give you better accuracy in my opinion.  As far as where to put minnow traps, I would say in smaller streams where chubs are the target, look for places where tree roots grow out into or over the water.  The biggest ones are always more comfortable with cover.  If the bank overhangs and creates a hole, try there.  Always worked for me when I was a kid.
    dhoff024
    New Angler
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 00:31:54 (permalink)
    Ya Im kind of new to the whole catching your own bait thing I mean when I was younger we used to go out and catch night crawlers at times and we did occasionally use a minnow saine and catch minnows and crayfish and we also used a minnow trap a few times but we really didnt scout out a spot we just kinda went to a creek or stream and did it. I am just wondering what signs to look for so I know what to look for when I am trying to catch some as well as the best thing to put in the trap.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 07:21:24 (permalink)
    Just stop at every bridge near you, walk down and see if there's any minnows. Bigger holes typically hold the most and biggest minnows, if you want smaller ones, find a smaller creek or hole. I've got at least a dozen spots I use, and I've only ever seen another trap in 2 of them. Btw, its illegal to trap in approved trout waters.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 07:43:26 (permalink)
    Make sure that your trap has a tag on it with your name, address, and phone number. I always look for streams that go through culverts under the road and then run into a larger creek, river, or stream nearby. There is typically a deeper hole on the downstream side of a culvert. Put a couple of pieces of bread or a handful of dry dogfood (gravy train works best but is expensive) in the trap and throw it into the hole on the lower end of the pool. Make sure that the trap is running parallel to the bank. You want your entry holes to be oriented upstream/downstream, and not left to right. This makes it much easier for the minnows to find their way into the trap. The next step is to disguise/hide your rope as completely as possible. Unfortunately, many people like to steal other people's minnow traps. The better  you hide the trap, the better the chance that it will still be there when you come back for it. Personally, I tie the end of the rope to a rock and throw it in the water with the trap. Then I come back with my catfish rod and a snagging hook (barbless) to retrieve it. Thieves can still get it, but they have to work a lot harder. Since most thieves are lazy, they'll pass it up. Hope this helps.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 10:04:17 (permalink)
    What Slabdaddy and others have said.  I painted my trap beige to blend in a bit more.  I use 60lb test as my line, to not stand out as much either.

As for finding a spot, go to the closest stream to your house.  Find some deeper water and toss it in and see what happens.  If I know that I am going to trap, I'll take the kids left overs and save for a few meals.  Chubs seem to love pizza crust, hot dogs, noodles, just about anything we eat...

Also, be weather conscious.  If it is going to rain that day, get your trap out of the water.  A 10 minute storm can wash your trap away.

Be realistic when keeping bait too.  Keep what you are going to use, and let the others repopulate your source.  If you catch a bunch of larger chubs and not sure if "too big for bait", put a few back.  Those are your local breeders.  Give enough water per fish (check online for gallons of water per size of fish).  Have a tank/storage bin set up with fresh water (add fish stabilizer if using tap water).  I personally use a 20 gallon plastic storage tote, aretor, filter and lid with holes drilled in for the top, also storing in a cool spot helps too.  I usually only trap if planning to use chubs, since I don't seem to get enough smaller minnows to make it worth while.  I plan to use within 2-3 days tops after trapping, usually trap the day before fishing.  Although, that sometimes backfires with only trapping 5-6 fish...
    flyingmoles
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 494
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 16:33:54 (permalink)
    on a side note: if you are planning on traveling with your bait, chubs and dace especially, throw a plastic ice-pack in the water with the bait while you drive to your spot. take it out when you get there, the cold water slows them down a bit and they require less oxygen. adding the ice-pack will give you well over an hour before the dace start to gulp air from the surface, chubs take a little longer. when you take the ice-pack out. let the water warm gradually. throwing them directly into lake water after their metabolism has slowed that far, will shock and kill them.
    dhoff024
    New Angler
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 17:42:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies and the tips I will definitely use them I think I am going to go out this evening and find a spot and see how I do. I am glad I know what to look for now so that I can maybe have some luck and I guess they didnt want me trapping because of the fact that it is an approved trout area that would explain that. But thanks for all the tips and I will definitely not take to many and I will have to get a setup going if I am going to keep them for a little before I fish. I am planning on going tomorrow so I am going to go tonight I have a nice stream that runs through the woods close to me I am going to scout it out and see if I can get anything out of there. Thanks again for all the tips from everyone I will use them and hopefully have some luck.
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 20:13:46 (permalink)
    dhoff024
    Was at Caruso Garage and bait shop today in Mt. Pleasant. They have hundreds of wooden egg bobbers I think two sizes. Didn't ask about the price but they can't be too much. If you live in the area check them out. They have always been good to me.

Usually when I am fishing with live bait I like to use the wooden yellow or orange egg shaped bobbers with the metal eye at the end. I just like them because I can cast farther with them I also think its because I grew up using that kind of bobber. I buy them everytime I go to buy bait. I went online today thinking I could order a bunch in bulk so I had them, it doesnt seem like you can find them anywhere and it seems like it is just a pa thing for some reason alot of people have no idea what you are talking about. Anyone else use these bobbers and find that other people dont know what they are? Also anyone know where to get them other than some of the local bait shops? If I cant buy them online then I will probably just buy a bunch next time I go down to shooters to get some bait. I just found it weird that there was no trace of them online anywhere.

mote1977
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 22:05:09 (permalink)
    FishinGuy

Btw, its illegal to trap in approved trout waters.

It's perfectly legal to trap in approved trout waters as long as the season is open.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 22:18:42 (permalink)
    " Approved trout waters are closed for taking fishbait and baitfish from March 1 to the opening day of trout season. Most specially regulated trout waters are closed to taking fishbait and baitfish at all times."-pfbc site. Thanks for the clarification.
    jmay75
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/05/30 22:46:01 (permalink)
    Wooden Bobbers at Gander Mountain.  $1.49 each
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/06/01 16:27:11 (permalink)
    Was at Caruso's in Mt. Pleasant again yesterday they have lots they are $.79 and $.89. Big and small.
    dhoff024
    New Angler
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/06/03 01:02:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies I appreciate the input on both topics.
    dhoff024
    New Angler
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2012/06/05 00:31:54 (permalink)
    Wanted to say thanks again to everyone who replied about the minnow trap I found a nice spot not far from my house and a really nice guy who lives across the street came over and showed me some good spots to put it I set it the other day and had alot of activity there were alot of minnows and some pretty big chubs. I ended up throwing them all back in since I wasnt going to be going fishing that soon and did not want to try to keep them but I wanted to see how the area was I will definitely be heading back before I go this weekend.
    fish.junkie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2015/04/24 15:03:08 (permalink)
    Dan Hoffman,
    I remember those orange bobbers myself. I think I have found somewhere online where you can buy them in bulk. Let me do some research and I will get back to you on that.
    Theprodrifter1983
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2015/04/28 15:35:41 (permalink)
    They are a big thing in haiwii for inshore off the rpcks kind of fishing
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2015/04/28 21:34:33 (permalink)
    Want to keep your bait alive for up to a week on the (somewhat) cheap?  Have a garage/cool basement?  Here's your shopping list:

- one 30 gallon barrel from craigslist ($5-$20 depending) cleaned out good
    - well water to fill, or a small bottle of dechlorinator if tap water
    - electric air pump and hose (garage sale on the cheap, craigslist or walmart for $20ish)
    - couple feet of air line and a stone

That setup will keep a reasonable amount of bait alive for quite a while if you keep it somewhere cool and don't overfill it with minnows.  I'd be fine putting 2-3 dozen chubs in there with no issues.  I regularly keep a dozen perch or small gills in each of my barrels (usually run 2 all summer) and I can't say I've ever lost one.  Hell the perch and gills will get happy and eat my misc fatheads between trips.  

I don't bother with minnow traps anymore.  My results haven't been worth the effort.  If I want chubs I hook and line them with ultralight gear, and if I want minnows I buy them from the old coot in Zelie.  Same goes for using the seine.  I'm old and fat and my back doesn't think much of all that bending and lifting.  

Good luck.
    Sujie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2015/04/30 07:25:54 (permalink)
    The "old coot in Zele" isn't doing so good these days.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2015/04/30 08:25:00 (permalink)
    SujieThe "old coot in Zele" isn't doing so good these days.

That's a shame.  He's certainly been slowing down the last couple years, but I applaud his apparent plans to just work until he keels over.  It's as good a plan as any I think.  I'll keep going there until he isn't around, and then I'll remember him when we fish Arthur/drive past the bait shack.  
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2015/05/01 13:44:42 (permalink)
    I agree with Pork/Slab and Fyling Moles.
    Paint your trap tan or even black is better than galvanized steel. I use a camo nylon rope and weight it down with rocks. I like to use hard rolls that are stale, they last longer than slice bread. Dog food works well but i tend to get a lot crayfish when I use dogfood. Plus you can only use live crayfish in the waters they were caught this year. If you plan on using them in others waters you have to remove the head and fish them dead now.
    If you are building a trap your holes can be no larger than 1 inch.
    If you leave your trap unanttended thats when you need to put a tag on it with your name, adress and phone #. 
    Be prepared to lose your trap to thieves or have your minnows stolen also. Plenty of low lifes out there.....
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re:Wooden Egg Bobbers 2015/05/01 20:52:22 (permalink)
    Canned cat food works great.  I have a few plastic jars (I think from bouillon cubes) with 3/8" holes drilled in them.  Put the cat food in the jar, put the jar in the trap.  A little dry cat food (or dog food) loose in the trap will help scent the area as well.  Wal-Mart has little cans of cat food for $.50.   

Lacking the jars, stick a heavy knife through the can to create a couple holes for the scent and food to mix with the water without it all washing away.  I never leave a trap out overnight.  Find the right hole and an hour or two will have it filled.  

Last time I was there Ultimate Outdoors had Woodies of 3 or 4 different sizes.

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

Jump to: