Shenango

Author
frost
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 437
  • Reward points: 0
2014/05/05 15:44:45 (permalink)

Shenango

Planning in hitting the lake either tomorrow or Wednesday but it's a pretty new lake for me. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot but a little help on a start point or if it's even worth making the trip when I can just stay on pymy. I'm going to be primarily going for bass, but wouldn't mind some stripers or crappies. Also I have room for one on the boat with me if someone wants to go. Either post here or send a pm. I can return the favor with some pymy info.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!

16 Replies Related Threads

opsman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 265
    Re: Shenango 2014/05/05 16:05:35 (permalink)
    Well, Frost, it's been a few years since I seriously fished Shenango.  Never really went after bass in the lake, mostly smallies in the river.
    Used to really get into the crappies at the railroad trestle west of the 18 causeway.  Once you go under the trestle on the right there is a looonnngg gravel,rock bar that runs parallel with the tracks.  Depending on the water level you can either see a lot or very little of the bar.   The water drops off fast from the bar, probably to twenty feet or so.   I know we used to jig for crappies there and do real well.  I always went out about two hours before dark to avoid all the pleasure boats and come back in just before daylight.  It never failed we would always tie into at least one nice pike when they would come up to the lights to feed on the congregating bait fish.
    Unfortunately the power boats make that lake a poor fishing lake.  Last time I was there night fishing I was anchored near that bar when a boat came roaring under the trestle with his lights off, spotlight scanning the lake.  I talked to this "gentleman" later that night (or early morning) and found out that he and other friends  (two or three boats)  would play hide and seek like this, flying across the lake trying to "tag" each other with their spotlights   That did it for me.
    I assume you are  catch and release?  Didn't think bass came in til June
    As for myself, going to break out the thermals and hit Pymatuning tomorrow.  I know a north wind is lousy, but hey, maybe I'll just troll for eyes!  Good luck!

"Fair winds and following seas..."
    eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: Shenango 2014/05/05 17:00:57 (permalink)
    Well Frost the strippers are up on the points right now.  Caught 3 the past 2 days.  2 were around 20 inches and one that I didn't boat, it broke the line.  But I would estimate it was some where around the  30+ inch range.  It was so strong that it pull me and the 14 foot boat that I was fishing from about a hundred yards before I lost it at the boat.  All came on a pink 4 inch tail and white jig head. 

Crappies are on the nests right now.  1/8 oz. jig head and a 3 inch tail will get you the bigger fish.  Don't know if they are in the wood but the ones that I've been catching have come from sandy bars that drop off into deeper water.  They are hugging the bottom.  One of the better years that I've had had in a long time.  9 so far this year over 15".

I would save the bass fishing for a little later way to early.
    frost
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re: Shenango 2014/05/05 20:10:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replys guys. The bass fishing is all catch and release for me. I really want to get into the stripers, so thank you for the info on them especially. I will definitely have to try for some crappie, but the bass and stripers are what I'll be primarily targeting. I'm thinking more about tomorrow heading down there then heading out on pymy Wednesday.

The worst day hunting or fishing will always be better then the best day at school or work!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    Re: Shenango 2014/05/06 09:25:16 (permalink)
    That's a hog eye crosser.  Sucks that you had to "boat side release" him, but sounds like a fun sleigh ride.  I've heard good things about pink, but never had any luck myself.  A buddy of mine fishes Lake Lanier in GA, says pink stick baits are his go to for the purebreds there.

BTW - What establishment were you at, with the strippers on your point?
    eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: Shenango 2014/05/06 17:11:17 (permalink)
    Yep, I call them the strippers because every time I get one all they do is strip line off the reel.  I'm to darn old to worry about the other kind.  I'm just happy to wake up every morning without a new pain somewhere.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re: Shenango 2014/05/07 10:34:09 (permalink)
    eye crosser
    Yep, I call them the strippers because every time I get one all they do is strip line off the reel.  I'm to darn old to worry about the other kind.  I'm just happy to wake up every morning without a new pain somewhere.

Awesomeness

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    bluegill 95
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Shenango 2014/05/08 20:19:02 (permalink)
    Fished lower lake today,crappies starting to hold tight to cover , won't be long fellas

andyg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re: Shenango 2014/05/10 23:13:03 (permalink)
    Went out this afternoon, cold front slowed the crappies down, still did ok. Guy close by was on a hot spot, must've caught 30 in 1.5 hours with plenty of slabs included. Definitely trying to work in fishing around Mother's Day tomorrow.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Shenango 2015/03/19 19:04:41 (permalink)
    Open water at the Rt18 causeway, it's up into the 'wood' along the rip rap, ice opening up showing water around lots of the  'North' shorelines too.    Friday, March 20 at 6:45 pm EDT Spring is sprung!!!!!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

pole_doc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re: Shenango 2015/04/26 20:46:31 (permalink)
    Are the crappie bitin' yet?  I'm trying to decide what to do this weekend 5/2, 5/3).  Appreciate any help!
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: Shenango 2015/05/05 18:36:37 (permalink)
    Yes they are. C&R over 60 crappies yesterday in shallow water. Find shallow wood, the fish will be there.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango 2015/05/09 10:34:37 (permalink)
    chauncy
    Yes they are. C&R over 60 crappies yesterday in shallow water. Find shallow wood, the fish will be there.

Right you are Chauncy..............  I quit countin, after putting two dozen in the live well.

It was a great day on Shenango and I even got pictures......  yep, I got pictures!

The sun was straight-up when I hit the water and the sky was nothing but blue.  Launched at Clark and set sail for the Islands of the far West. (10 hp line)

Set-up my Croix Ultra-lite with 4 lb test, 1/32 oz jig and, one and a half in. 'twister tail' (pearl).

Started hitting the shore lines around the islands with some success but no keepers.

First one of the season:

Followed by:

A few more but, no keepeepers:

Funny, the whole time I'm catching these little guys, I trying to remember something I forgot.
    I just knew I left something back at the house, but I couldn't think of what it was and, it's beginning to drive me crazy and  I hate when that happens. Anyway, I moved to the south shore lines where I found some fallen timber and the real fun began!

I need to mention here, I changed the 'twister tail' to a black and white 2" tube.  Tossing the rig toward shore, retrieving a few feet and allowing it to sink.  I set the hook when I saw my line moving or twitching after the jig hit bottom.  Bigger fish were caught "dead sticking" while smaller fish were hooked as the tube sank.  I tried changing to a 1/16 oz jig hoping the faster sinking bait would get by the smaller guys and down to the bigger fish but, no luck.  So, while still trying to remember what I forgot at the house, I enjoyed (without a doubt) a very memorable day on Shenango.

No ants and no floats were needed this day, just a lot of casting and tight lines!  Oh, I brought two small musky to the side of the boat also.  Unfortunately both of the toothy critters broke off when I tried to get them in the boat so, no pictures.  Yeah I know, it don't count if there's no pictures but, I was there and I saw it happen!  

Just wish I could remember what I forgot at the house!

Just to mention the the water temp. in the area; I was showing 74 degrees F. surface and the fish were not cold to the feel.  Having checked with another angler that had the same readings, I'm at least certain my locator isn't faulty.  In addition, none (NONE) of the crappy appeared to be carrying eggs.

Had a great day, looking forward to getting back on the water but, this time I'll make a checklist of what I want (if I can remember what I forgot) to take with me.

Now, if you all will excuse me, I need to run to the drugstore to get some............ SolarCaine.

Tightlines to all.................

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango 2015/05/09 22:27:04 (permalink)
      Striper, Striper Hybrid, White Bass or Yellow Bass?  

https://tpwd.texas.gov/pu...a/pwd_lf_t3200_086.pdf

Hit the above link for printable info chart...............
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/05/10 12:25:50

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Shenango 2015/05/10 11:52:37 (permalink)
    White bass.  To really tell you have to see their "tongue patches" or whatever... but that's a WB at a glance.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: Shenango 2015/05/10 12:14:00 (permalink)
    No sunscreen...ouch! But looks like it was a great day, thanks for sharing.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango 2015/05/10 12:17:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Zelie.  I never fished for either and never really started catching white/striper bass until I began fishing Shenango.  Then one day, whamo my first and sooooo I'm hooked.  The darn things are really difficult to tell apart (when small).  

I should have called better attention to the link I provided as it will take you to a chart explaining all four types.  For those, like me, absent minded anglers that forget which is which!

https://tpwd.texas.gov/pu...a/pwd_lf_t3200_086.pdf

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/05/10 12:23:34

Jump to: