Rattlesnakes?

Author
mote1977
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points: 0
2015/04/23 23:04:04 (permalink)

Rattlesnakes?

I wasn't really sure where the right place to post this would be so I figured this would be the best place. I'm planning on heading up around Benezette to hunt rattlers in June. I went last year with limited success , no legal snake. I hunted on a few of the game lands in the area. I was wondering if any locals might be willing to share some knowledge on good areas to try. I know it's a long shot but I don't know anyone from that area and last year was my first time . Feel free to PM me if you can help. Thanks. I'm open to other areas of the state also.

5 Replies Related Threads

dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: Rattlesnakes? 2015/04/24 09:55:04 (permalink)
    I never hunted PA rattlers, but I spent my youth chasing snakes of every other kind. Do some spring scouting if you can. This time of year they are still piled up in dens. Look for rock faces on the east side of the mountains. Sun = hot rocks, hot rocks = snakes. If you find a den, be careful. For every snake you see there will be two you don't.  Also pay attention to food sources. Areas with good squirrel/ rodent populations should produce more than those without. I don't know if this works for rattlers, but I used to have good luck along train tracks. The railroad ties and large gravel seem to be appealing. The large concrete slabs near bridges and tunnels make for good sunning spots. They can disappear quick so be fast(and careful).

I may try my hand at timbers this june as well. I  started building wood bows last spring. I really want to back an osage bow with timber rattler skins. A nice snakey piece of osage backed with skins is one of the most impressive looking bows you can make. Good Luck.  
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3335
    Re: Rattlesnakes? 2015/04/25 11:09:02 (permalink)
     Caledonia Pike to Saunders Rd. almost to Blackwell rd. or take Blackwell Rd to Saunders. Up Saunders Rd hill from crick area. It's between Penfield & Weedville.

crappy
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re: Rattlesnakes? 2015/04/25 17:09:33 (permalink)
    I spend my time trying to AVOID rattlesnakes! Sounds like you have a death wish. Or life is boring for you. Try cutting business cards into the same measurements eveytIme. Now THAT is a rush!!!!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    mote1977
    Avid Angler
    Re: Rattlesnakes? 2015/04/25 22:16:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Dakota. Crappie, that was one of the areas that I was thinking of checking out. I'll definitely give it a look now.
    mote1977
    Avid Angler
    Re: Rattlesnakes? 2015/04/25 22:17:51 (permalink)
    fisherofmen376
    I spend my time trying to AVOID rattlesnakes! Sounds like you have a death wish. Or life is boring for you. Try cutting business cards into the same measurements eveytIme. Now THAT is a rush!!!!

No death wish and life is far from boring to me. Thanks for the help though. I'll pass on cutting the business cards.
    Jump to: