Shenango Res

Author
KJN
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points: 0
2015/04/24 12:10:37 (permalink)

Shenango Res

Can anyone tell me what the water elevation level is at normal summer pool.  It is at 894ft today, i was wondering if this is normal, or high?

12 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/24 16:54:10 (permalink)
    CURRENT LAKE CONDITIONS
    Pool Elevation: 894.65 feet [normal summer pool is 894.67 feet]
    Sluice Gates: 1-3-5-7 open 1 foot each
    River Stage at Sharpsville: 3.68 feet...

The only problem with Shenango.......................  my Azz ain't sittin' on it right now.

Shenango is 50 years old this year......  Happy Anniversary to youuu.............  sorry! 
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/04/24 17:01:48

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/24 23:49:01 (permalink)
    Wow , 50 years went by fast ! I remember when they cleared and flooded it . First 10 years it was full of Pike I mean loaded. Four of us caught 21 Northerns in one day. Largemouth Bass grew fast also shortly after filling up.

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/04/24 23:59:47
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/25 00:36:34 (permalink)
    Beautiful pictures Captain 

I remember those days of the pike and that seemed to be the norm for the first few years of Lake Wilhelm too.  There wasn't real size to them and we called them "hammer handles".  Dang near caught pike back then like we catch crappie and perch today. They were almost a nuisance there was so many.   Those were the days.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/27 08:45:34 (permalink)
    We caught a lot of big smallies back then in the golden run area. The pike bite was unreal. Got a picture of my now deceased brother holding one at Little Jim's baitshop.

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/29 00:11:11 (permalink)
    Ahh....Little Jim's ! She had too be the tightest bait dealer ever around. You would ask for a dozen minnows and you got 11 fatheads and one dead one ! LOL ! I will say this she was open 24 hours 7 days a week ! You could hit that bell and out she came half asleep ! Chauncy, your brother was late picking you today up because he was telling me how much better he is at catching fish then you ! Don't let him blame me ! LOL !!! Let's see those Kentucky Crappie pictures.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/29 00:18:04 (permalink)
    Just another question for the Shenango River fishermen. Someone told me the Fish Commission has not been restocking any Walleye fry in the lower river for over three years . I hope that's not true any body hear any news please post. Seems the Walleye fishing has dropped off fairly bad the last few years. Last year was terrible for legal Eyes !
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/29 05:18:17 (permalink)
    He wasn't but a couple minutes late but that's okay. I have a few good pics posted on my facebook page. Some really nice crappies down on that lake.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/29 08:30:53 (permalink)
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDgQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffbweb.pa.gov%2Fstocking%2FWWCWStockingDetailsHistorical_RFP.aspx&ei=88tAVdjDEYmoNrWugdgM&usg=AFQjCNGW915BZPmZlUq8P82WaG4feXNwSw&bvm=bv.91665533,d.eXY

Captain according to the information posted on this sight; no walleyes have been stocked in Shenango River since the year 2007.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/04/29 08:35:23

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/29 12:55:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info that's a great site I did not know about. Now I see why the Walleye fishing has been" terrible" the past three years ! Without that stocking of fry to help keep the numbers up I see the Walleye fishing has about bottomed out. Seems like the Fish Commission is sleeping on this program here. That Walleye fishing use to be good to excellent year after year but is plummeted to about zero ! How could they cut that program is beyond me ! With the amount of fishermen in that area along with parking facilities it's a haven for all fishing. That river held good healthy Walleye numbers for years so the fish that were stocked were growing to mature size and were being harvested. Once again local fishermen loose out and have to travel away from a great place to Walleye fish. I urge all Shenango River fishermen upper and lower to contact the Fish Commission and express your concern as to why they no longer stock Walleye in this water way ! This water should be stocked with Walleye every year. They only were putting in 5,000 fry. They also don't stock Hybrid Stripers in the river anymore. I see they stocked over 4 million Walleye in Pymatuning per year average . Strange thing was most fishermen I talked to from last season claimed the Walleye fishing was about dead up there all season.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/29 13:30:13 (permalink)
    You are very welcome Captain and please see the additional information that may explain the answer to your question.

Approved Trout Waters Open to Year-Round Fishing [view regulation]BUTLER
    Harbar Acres Lake
    ERIE
    East Basin Pond – Waterworks Ponds, Presque Isle State Park 
    Lake Pleasant
    Upper Gravel Pit
    West Basin Pond
     – Waterworks Ponds, Presque Isle State Park
    FOREST
    Tionesta Creek – from Tionesta Dam outflow downstream
    LAWRENCE
    Bessemer Lake
    Cascade Quarry

MERCER
    Shenango River – outlet of Shenango Dam downstream to Buckeye Drive Bridge (SR 3025)
    VENANGO
    Two Mile Run Reservoir (Justus Lake)
    WARREN
    Chapman Dam Reservoir

Not certain...........  just guessing but, I wouldn't put it past those charged with the stocking program(s) thinking, the walleye angler has the lake and the trout angler gets the river.

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/04/29 13:37:35

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/29 23:24:24 (permalink)
     Thanks' again.....I know they do put more Trout numbers in the Shenango over the past 4-5 years but that Walleye fishing was a huge draw over the years. They get a program that works and brings in more people to fishing and wham they ditch it ! Just don't understand how tossing a few thousand Walleye fry in every year and seeing such good results and returns is being scrubbed. The natural return is way to low to keep up good fishing. That river has always been a good Walleye fishery it's a shame to see it wasted on only Trout. Both Trout and Walleye have been the reason Shenango River is well known in Mercer County. The Fish Commission needs to step up the Shenango River Walleye stocking program not eliminate it here ! They also need to get the Stripers in Wilhelm Lake and quit making excuses for all those Shad. More species of game fish = more fishermen !   
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango Res 2015/04/30 14:23:05 (permalink)
    I've been trying to locate a story I read, I'm thinking it was in the "PA. OUTDOORS", and needless to say I can't find it.  Anyway the article was about a biologist admitting the PGC had decided to scrap a plan trying to to create a "lake specific fish" situation with PA. lakes. 

In NW PA., Wilhelm was targeted for bass, Pymatuning for walleye, Shenango for striper, etc.

We know the PGC has been busy creating 'fish habitat' at these lakes and have plans to continue to do so.  Whether this 'fish habitat' was fish specific only the PGC knows.

We know that Wilhelm was (for lack of a better word) POLLUTED with shad for several years.  Of course this was blamed on the fisherman releasing bait (dang BassMasters, anyway(lol)).  However, I thought there was a significant reduction in the numbers of shad last year.  Of course this may have been a 'figment of my imagination' or just 'wishful thinking' but here's hoping this year we see even less.

Speaking of seeing less of over the years, and again a possible 'figment of my imagination', is the aquatic weeds.    Especially the weed that are not a natural habitat to a specific fish.  But, silly me, who needs weeds when the PGC is providing habitat for the fish?

We also know the walleye fishing took a BIG downfall at Pymatuning with some (I said some) improvement in numbers (not necessarily size) being reported by the Pymie angler community this past year.  While the walleye stocking at Pymie is a co-op between OH. and PA.; I recall a story about PA. opting to stock fingerlings over fry for a year or two.  Mortality of the fry was the reason for the change and the PGC figured the bigger fingerlings would have a better survival rate.  Guess that didn't work cause their back to fry, as I understand.  Again, not sure of the exact year(s) and/or number of fingerlings stocked only, there was far less fingerlings then fry.  Since then, the fishery is showing improvement.

I can't close without mentioning the water temps. (this was changed to stress from spawning) being the 'said reason' for seeing large numbers of certain fish kills and or reduction of other fish size/numbers.  I'm sure the weeds have nothing to do with keeping the water cooler or providing oxygen.

Who am I to doubt the word of a biologist, so the only thing I can see that would have caused the change(s) we 'old timers' have seen................. must be Climate Change! 

Jump to: