waves

Author
1mocast
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points: 0
2015/03/29 07:51:11 (permalink)

waves

I have a 17 bass boat,when is the best time of year ,when erie seams to be calm . Fishing for bass

10 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: waves 2015/03/29 08:16:12 (permalink)
    Wave activity on Erie is totally dependent on the wind speed and direction on any given day.  It can change from morning to afternoon from flat to 6 footers or visa/versa.  For near shore fishing you are going to need south winds usually, maybe East or West will be doable but it depends on what shoreline features you are near to provide protection.
    No particular 'time of year' can provide you a sure bet on fishable waters, you have to watch forecasts for wind speed and direction and you will also need to learn to watch the previous 3-5 days history of rain, wind and wave directions to get an idea if water clarity will be a factor.   
    There are numerous government and weather sites for wind/wave forecasts and even a camera on an off shore buoy for more 'real time' conditions.
    1mocast
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: waves 2015/03/29 08:38:40 (permalink)
    Thanks,I was planning a bass fishing vac,I'm going to try but with a back up lake.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1071
    Re: waves 2015/03/29 12:20:58 (permalink)
    Depending on the time of year and what and/or the species of bass you're after the Bay can be a pleasant place to fish for bass with unusually good results. Large mouth are available all year round with an infusion of bedding smallmouth during late April, May and June. The Bay is a lot calmer and offers some well rounded fishing not just for bass, but for panfish, northerns, perch, musky, an occasional walleye, along with cats, carp and even bowfin. Great place to drown some bait with youngsters.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: waves 2015/03/29 13:27:33 (permalink)
    Anybody remember the "Bassmasters Tournament" when the wind/waves kicked up on Lake Erie swamping some "bass boats" and sending others onto the rocks?  I'm thinking the same thing occurred during the Oneida Lake tournament in 2003 involving 20 (+/-) boats when the Coast Guard stepped in and ask that the tournament be shut down.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: waves 2015/03/29 16:31:40 (permalink)
    walcat
     Said" I ain't never going on that lake again." Two weeks later he was in my boat fishing for smallmouth. Did get another new boat.

I am glad your friend was OK, the lake is very unforgiving!   But it is also an addictive thing...   It just wouldn't seem natural now to NOT go out on the lake nearly every weekend through the summer season... it just draws you back.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: waves 2015/03/29 20:21:45 (permalink)
    Best bet is 2 ft. or less on the Wind and Waves reports but make sure it's not going to change through out the day. Everything else with that size boat your taking a chance. The bay is best with most normal winds  but beware of strong South winds the Bay and channel get real choppy although the lake shores will be fairly calm.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: waves 2015/03/30 07:09:26 (permalink)
    I fished the PA State Team tournament that had about a half dozen boats capsize on the first day. It was flat in the morning at take off. By early morning it started to get bad. I was all the way to the NY line. What took less than 20 minutes in the morning took almost five hours to get back.

I was sure we were going to die out there when I started back. At some point we got far enough that I figured we would live, but lose the boat. A little further along I figured we would make it back, but probably lose the trolling motor, seats, and electronics. Once past McCord's I knew we would be okay and we were.

It was hard on the throttle to stand it up on end as the wave approached, throttle back at the top to not flip backwards, on the throttle coming down to not stuff the nose into the next wave at the bottom, rinse, repeat for hours.

They restricted us to the Bay the second day.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: waves 2015/03/30 08:31:23 (permalink)
    Was always wondering why more people ain't fishin for smallmouth in the summertime. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4891
    Re: waves 2015/03/30 08:38:38 (permalink)
    My experience was prior to the Northeast harbor. Basically there was a little ramp and boat lift there and nothing from there to the Bay.

A guy in our club actually tried to use the boat lift tgat dsy and their power went out. A wave swamped it right on the lift.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Brad1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 338
    Re: waves 2015/04/07 09:41:48 (permalink)
    walcat
    I was fishing the lake that day. Saw the weather and came off early. My buddy  Who worked with me was out in his brand new $30,000 bass boat. Got caught, hit the water. Had a vest on but it was 10 ft. waves. Grabbed a floating boat seat. Was in the water 5 hrs. Finally washed up at the base of the cliff at North East. Climbed 50 ft. up a tree leaning against the cliff and yelled as loud as he could for 2 hrs. People above him on the cliff but couldn't see or hear him. Coust guard boat spotted him from on the lake, called the fire dept. They got him up. His boat busted up on the rocks. Had insurance. Said" I ain't never going on that lake again." Two weeks later he was in my boat fishing for smallmouth. Did get another new boat.

Back in 2000, I got caught in 10 footers in my 22 ft Proline. We made it back to Lampe, but I stuffed the bow a couple times. Very scary. 

I've spent many a day way out there in the lake fishing for Walleye, but the scariest situations I've ever been in were in the shallower waters (25 ft) in the stretch between Lampe and Northeast, while fishing for smallies. Still, I'm hoping to trailer my 16 footer up there for smallies this year. But I will be extremely cautious, weather wise. 

Just remember "Any port in a storm". If you get caught in some nasty stuff, just high tail it to the nearest marina. Tie up and call a cab to take you to your tow vehicle.  That's what I shoulda done on that day back in 2000. The idea didn't occur to me til afterwards. 

Be safe and catch lots of fish. Throw the bass back btw. They're a blast to catch, but they suck to eat. 
    Jump to: