2015 Happy New Ice Year

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/02/08 10:43:18 (permalink)
Some of the ponds near me that get regular traffic or heavy use (that bums me out thinking how it use to be before the internet brought half of Albany to them) are seeing much lighter use. A good 2' of snow cover on them  and more coming right now.  You might want to think about a pulk sled rig. They float well over snow, especially behind a snowshoe track.  A hip belt takes some of the strain off.  I used an old frame pack and hooked a few carabiners to the sled harness.  Nice fish, RJ. Looks like a great spot. Much props to you for putting in the effort.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/02/08 19:55:22 (permalink)
that get up is old school for sure Fichy.. My memories of the pink sled still burn brightly.. These days I'm pretty full on gear junky..
 As a moving stream to you is hard water to me this time of season..
Had a minor project to do this morning then got bored.. Loaded the Rav-4 and headed back out for snowshoe adventure day-2.. Much better conditions as the temps compacted the snow , some mobile trails to follow and basically a better feel with hardware on my feet.. I wasn't tripping and stumbling my way..
Fun as heck and great day to be alive:))))))))
Might just look towards some moving water in the near future .
Hard to beat the crowds though ..:

Glad I brought a shovel today:

One of many... Seems I missed the dinner bell though

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
RobS
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/02/12 21:03:23 (permalink)
I haven't posted in a while but I'll me hitting the hardwater Tuesday with all new gear thanks to my awesome father.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/02/13 05:44:09 (permalink)
Go get em rob and rj!!!
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/02/22 10:50:09 (permalink)
Will post local ice here. Everywhere around there is 1.5 to 2 foot of snow on the ice. Oneida has tons of slush fields where there are pressure cracks and where multiple holes are drilled. It does have 20 or so inches of ice though. If you have a sled and knowledge of where to go you can find fish,  neither of which I have. Sandy pond has as much snow, but the slush is a bit better. The perch bite up there continues to be like the salmon run of this year, every now  and then you  can find a few, but they are not there in any kind of numbers and honestly it was not worth my time and effort to drag out there for a few dinks and 2 or 3 keepers. The ice up there is 20  plus inches too, but it was formed on layers of snow so it is not the greatest. I think when it gets warmer it will get ugly fast. I plan on hitting Oneida one or 2 times after work when the clock changes. They should be in shallow and I think I know a decent place. Will also get after some step when the weather breaks too. According to long tem forcast that should be 3/1. Temps will be normal. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/02/22 17:16:02 (permalink)
I was a bit detoured but not defeated .. My issue last week was gear.. Brand new nils auger head $65,00 from fish USA turned to junk on driftwood.. No fault of the great shop here, just dumb luck.. So I put the 5 year old head back on and was back in the game yesterday,,
-13 on the big lake yesterday.. Had lake to ourselves,, fishless..0-2 on lake trout of the deep.

We walked 3/4 mile out.. wind and snow picked up at noon.. We headed towards shore in almost whiteout:

Rolled outta the rack around 7am today.. Got bored and hit ice around 9am to beautiful conditions.
jigged some bass, a gill and 2 perch in a few hrs out..
Today reminded me of why I do this :) Hope the moving water treats folks as well:

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/02/22 19:07:58 (permalink)
Sucks, can you send it out to be sharpened. There is a guy that does them, last I knew $20lus shipping.
http://hotspotoutdoors.co...howflat/Number/1219226

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/02/22 21:20:20 (permalink)
Good to hear guys are getting out... Especially you tuna since you were talking about throwing in the towel...lol

I had the opportunity and go ahead to head some ice today. Opted out as conditions/snow and fishing were reported to be sucky. Cleaned up snow and snow banks all day instead :/
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: 2015 Happy New Ice Year 2015/03/30 06:58:21 (permalink)
Well yesterday may have been the last day out this year.  there was 10 inches of black under 6 inches of white, but I have a feeling it will go fast. It was my best outing and they is not saying much. Got 4 perch above 10 and 5 or 6  8 to 10. My issue was I could not keep the slime logs off my jigging pole. I lost 2 Swedish pimples and 3 jigs to the bastads  even got a nice large mouth. Funny thing was most perch and pike and bass  came out of the same hole. I would have ate them if in season. Finally figured out how to lose the y bones. You lose meat, but it's bone free. They are a bit softer than perch, but eat well. Will have a few pics later when I can get them off the phone.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: