AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..8687888990.. > >> Showing page 86 of 199
Author
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/27 21:22:05 (permalink)
My thermometer went subsurface around 5:30pm this evening and it's hovering around -8 degrees F. as I speak.  Your friend and mine, the weather dude, says 4 to 8" of snow for my area north of the 'Burgh' starting, Sunday eve.  Yea................ 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/27 21:47:18 (permalink)
No mas!  I thought Sunday into Monday was supposed to be a rain event.  Perhaps in my neck of the woods at least.  Had enough snow!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/27 22:49:15 (permalink)
I'm thinkin' South of I-80 across PA. is to be mostly rain except in the highlands.  Hate to admit it but, during Archery season, I was hoping for snow.   You tell anybody I said that and I'll deny, deny, deny. (lol)  Stay warm, weather dude says big rain event likely for the middle of the week.  Sure not a good thing for the guys chasing the chrome up north, heavy rain will surely cause a blowout.  Let's hope not.

Update.......... 11:00pm -13 degrees F. at my house.............. 
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/02/27 23:08:19

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 06:43:06 (permalink)
-12 at 6:40 a.m. hopefully the last time the mercury will dip this low til next winter...hopefully!!!! Last winter we had 10 mornings in march below 0!!!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 06:51:07 (permalink)
-5 as I get ready to gear up for the ice today. Got the coffee pot brewing and gonna wait a little bit for the sun to peak over the hill, hopefully bring some heat rays with it.
I have been looking at snow since archery season 10/1/14

As Charlie said Clint , that's just not right. My old roof had cedar shingles when built then a layer of asphalt was put on over when I was a kid and they had to be at least 30 years ( most likely 20 year shingles ) when I had everything stripped down and put new 35 year shingles on about 10 years ago.
My garage shingles are at least 35 years old , don't leak yet but need new this spring. My addition 60 X 60' , I did myself about 3 years ago, like said , I musta set the nail gun down and went right through center of shingle .

Charlie, have a blast in the canyon . I am in awe with that place. Been there 5 times and through Sedona ,3. It is the beauty of this country .

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 07:09:48 (permalink)
Humm. It actually just dropped to -6.8 in the last 20 mins.
I think I will wait a little bit longer

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 08:13:54 (permalink)
-10 when my feet hit the floor this morning and a quick look at my unofficial, genuine official Weather Channel, weather station history I see the low this morning hit -21 degrees F at 3:00am.

Just checked with Bernie at www.AccuWeather.com and he is thinking the system coming Sunday afternoon may drop a bit further to the South.  This means (in his mind) Buffalo may get around a 1 to 3" snowfall and places a bit further South (my house ) could get 6 to 12".    Some of yinz might like Bernie as he gives his reasons for the forecast before the storm and, why he was wrong after the storm.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/02/28 08:17:08

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 08:33:25 (permalink)
We have 10 inches in the ceiling with the baffles ,  the joists are 2*12.  The shingles are just in horrible shape. Many cracked and curling. The one guy that looked said it was due to bad installation, but I have my doubts.
There are so many people with back up issues that I don't even know if the shingles are at fault, but the way the house was built is. There are 4 people at work that said they are leaking too.  The guy that built it had a good rep, but I m finding things where he cut corners. He is no longer with us so that is that.

Well the leak returned last night, but not as bad.  I think I know where it is coming from. Where the dormer wall meets the house there it was a solid block of ice so I think it is leaking by the flashing. I got most of the ice out of there and will get the rest today.
Charlie when the time comes I will call you and go over my options.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 09:02:19 (permalink)
Clint, current code calls for R-38 in ceilings, which means a rigid or sprayed on foam must be used in a cathedral ,  or a scissor truss is used that allows R-38 batts. Many of the newer shingles are designed to go in the newer type of building envelope that requires excellent ventilation under the sheathing. High heat buildup underneath causes them to fail prematurely. They will not stand by warranties if the ventilation codes aren't rigorously adhered to.  Old, thicker asphalt shingles survived better. Even though you may have raft-r-mate or some similar product ventilating the under deck. it may not have enough flow through from soffit to ridge vent to cool it. It's very easy to run the batts a little too far over the top plate and block off the flow . If you have vinyl soffitt, you can pop some off and check. Make sure you do this before the new roof is installed. There was a company called Bird that is now out of business that produced lots of very bad shingles. They were still sold 10 years ago, and making good on lots of claims. They and the claims are now done with. Lots of builders used them, because they supposedly were OK and they were LOW PRICED. I'll shut up now. Be glad to answer any questions when you're ready. By the way, it's standard good practice to seal the entire walls of dormers with bituthane and detail tape over the flashing in high snow and wind driven rain areas. Wasn't done in your case. In your builder's defense, it's a step beyond, usually only done on fairly high end houses.

Edit: I looked up Bird out of curiosity and they sold their plants to Certainteed.
post edited by fichy - 2015/02/28 09:15:14
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 09:16:12 (permalink)
Charlie what you are saying makes sense as far as the ventilation and the flashing and I think that's what happened . I have had a few other little leaks, but always found a nail sticking through. This is the worse one by far. I have checked the ends of most of the vents and they are a few inches out into the knee wall. Will also check the shingles as I have a few bundles left.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 10:44:20 (permalink)
Clint, I'm not meaning to stick my nose into your problem but I've flipped a few homes in my time and I presently live in a log home with 'Cathedral Ceiling' over 60% of the house.  That being said, I have to say Fichy is "hitting the nail on the head" when it comes to venting between roof deck and interior insulating materials.  The roof has to 'breath' from the eves up to and through the roof vent to keep the roof temp. from hitting hundreds of degrees in the summer time.  Correct me if I'm wrong as I understand your home is of recent construction which leads me to two thoughts(in addition to fichy's info)   I've found contractors fail to leave properly sized openings at the peak and/or only cut slots every so many feet before applying the roof cap.  In either case this is disastrous for any asphalt shingles covering a roof over a 'Cathedral Ceiling'.  Plus roof pitch has a good deal with rate of ventilation as a flatter style roof will vent much slower then a steeper pitched roof.      The slot every so many feet method makes me wonder if your shingles are curling worse in some places then others or maybe even appearing in columns? 

Lastly, concerning your leak(s), I wonder if your familiar with 'ice guard products' and if you know if one was used on your roof?
Without further ado, I've included a sight for your review, with regard to "roof ice damming".  http://homerenovations.about.com/bio/Lee-Wallender-20780.htm

Once again, not meaning to be nosey, I just don't like to see problems such as yours especially if the problem, is a result of shoddy work.
A man works too dang hard for his money and certainly shouldn't have to pay twice for the same job.

Good luck...............

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 11:45:25 (permalink)
John I would not post in a Public forum if I did not want noses in my problems. That's how I learn and get experience to avoid future issues.
Now to answer your questions.
I specifically asked for the ridge vent to be cut as wide as possible and along the whole area. I know it is working somewhat as it ''melts'' out in the winters.  I also had them add gable vents a few years ago to help even more, but that did not make much of a difference .
The curling is random
Ice guard was used in the eaves and on the edges.
10/12 is the pitch IIRC
IT is most defiantly a ventilation issue and a metal roof is probably in order this summer.
I will add this is the first winter I have really had a bad issue with leaking. Just slot of ice previously

Thanks for the insite
Clint

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 11:52:56 (permalink)

This is from 2007 -8 I think

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 12:12:47 (permalink)
Perhaps you got a load of lousy shingles- might be worth a look into exactly what was purchased and see if consumer issues through the State or any other entity have resulted in similar complaints.
 If so you may well have recourse.
 A friend had some roofers come in and do his roof with a shingle where the outer layer came off leading to erosion of the shingle material and resulted in 'issues' rather quickly- he ended up with a whole new roof installed as the batch he purchased, through the installer, was found  to be very inferior and faulty.
 Frankly in your area I woudnt even think of anything but a metal roof. My little place has one and its nowhere near your pitch.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 12:17:09 (permalink)
Might need a 'weather thread 2' --dont know bout others but my putor is having trouble picking up page 86----lol.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 12:55:28 (permalink)
Clint that's a nice looking homestead you have there........  Glad to hear you took no offense to my thread and even more..... glad to hear I struck out.(lol)

By-the-way............. I'm jealous of the metal roof; will definitely be my choice when I have to replace. 

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 13:17:16 (permalink)
Lots of snow removal on the very glorious day. Wishing I was fishing , but work comes before play. I finally think I found the da spot. Removed the ice and some standing water ran out.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 14:47:24 (permalink)
Going to get very interesting middle of next week;  March might be coming in like a lion,  get your river flow gauge 'APPS' updated.

The National Weather Service says:

WINTER STORM WATCH.

ANOTHER STORM SYSTEM MAY BRING THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT RAIN AND
RELATED RIVER RISE OF THE SEASON TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. MANY OF
THE AREA RIVERS... TRIBUTARIES AND SMALLER STREAMS AND CREEKS ARE
COVERED OVER WITH ICE. A DRAMATIC INCREASE IN FLOW AND STAGE
LEVELS WILL CAUSE ICE MOVEMENT STARTING TUESDAY AND WILL RAISE THE
POSSIBILITY OF FLOODING. HEADLINES MAY BE NEEDED.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

WEATHER SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER
CONDITIONS ACCORDING TO STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES.

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 18:35:46 (permalink)
If that rain comes there is a local stream that will flood as it is locked,bank side residents may have big problem.Stream is Jorden Creek in SE Penna.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/02/28 21:52:31 (permalink)
Leading edge of the snow is a line from Toledo past Dayton down to Cincinnati OH and on South.   When will it ever end.......

As for the rain, Accu weather has it trucking North East strait into southwest PA. Tuesday through Tuesday evening.  Another cold front is to hit the area on Wednesday which may bring a big; nasty, messy, yucky, mix of precipitation, over PA., that may lessen the threat of flooding.

HOWEVER, any information provided on this thread is subject to change, every hour on the hour, for a period up to and including 24 hours 'AFTER' the storm.

Spring is in the air............................. 

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 07:15:20 (permalink)
This has probably been the least contentious thread  and the most filled with info. I think Clint started it umpteen pages ago to provide accurate conditions on THE river. In that capacity, it has helped me out a bunch of times. Good job, Clint. Next week looks like the start of a slow melt that might produce some flooding, but 40 is not 60 and multi-inches of rain. I hope there isn't another late and blown out Spring, OR massive flooding. A lot to ask..... One of the few things I pay attention to is earliest and average dates for chasing some of my favorite species in my favorite places. My earliest smallmouth from the C&R section of the Hudson is April 4th. My earliest striper from Plum Island Sound, Ma. is May 7th.  Last year added 3 weeks to both dates, with the conditions for both fisheries being horrible early on. Big smallmouth set up on creek mouths to feed post-winter, pre-spawn and they were still floating ice and chocolate in April. The striper migration was late. Opening day of Vt. trout season is the second Sat. of April and I usually take my yak to a lake I've fished for ages that has nice rainbows that start to feed on midges on the surface then. Last year it was still ice. That's only happened once or twice in 28 years. Same for chasing big carp on a large river flat from my yak (sleigh rides!) , by the time the river the flats are on  cleared, the weeds had taken hold and made it unfishable.  The walleyes stayed up in the creeks later, after spawning in April, and I took advantage using my steel gear and big bunny flies to swing up a few. Droppbacks that have big teeth and really don't  swim around much during the battle.  Still fun. I know HT is hoping the mighty Hudson starts warming and clearing in a normal fashion and the stripers and herring make a good showing. I hope the SR doesn't blow out and some of us  get a chance at  some droppies.  I hope all of us get some payback for this brutal winter. We earned it.
post edited by fichy - 2015/03/01 07:40:54
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 09:08:53 (permalink)
 ARE....... WE....... HAVING........ FUN.......YET...?

Went to bed last night with bare; dry sidewalks, steps and, porches.  Just finished shoveling, at least 3" of, new snow this morning and it's still coming down.

Guess who don't own a snow mobile and can't ski?

HELLO.........................  spring?
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/03/01 09:10:21

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 09:13:47 (permalink)
That 40 degree day for this week disappeared off the forecast for our parts. Rain is looking unlikely. We're probably at least 2-3 weeks away from potential "blow out"... Average temps look to be coming... Or at least near average.

Clint, if you do a metal roof and intend on staying your home for years to come, I strongly recommend standing seem style. I haven't used it myself ever but I do know from many that it is a way better product than standard corrugated screw down roofs. Good luck with your current problem and great info from others regarding you'd issue
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 12:41:56 (permalink)
Clint I second what Andy says about the metal roof,that's the way to go.
Well it's snowing again today and might end up as freezing rain,I think this is about every Sunday for a month,it is getting really old!
Charlie I'll be in Ohio beginning of April looking for their spring run fish and hope the weather cooperates a little.But even if the larger streams are high there are a few tribs to them that will be fishable,so all will not be lost.As you said I hope everyone gets some good fishing this spring as we sure need it after this month or so.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 17:19:42 (permalink)
We plan on a new build in s few years and looking hard at the roofing that does not have the screws exposed. For this roof we will see what a few roofers say and go from there. With all the valley's I have it may not be the best choice, but with my venting issues I want metal. Really comes down to cash and best bang for the buck as I only have so much budgeted

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 17:29:48 (permalink)
Probably 20 for standing seam. It prices out about the same as cedar shake and slate. (100 year roofs).  I'd save it for the new build so you can factor it into the mortgage or total price. I've only used it on a few porches on fairly expensive homes. (400K+). Might be a good selling point in your area, though. Talk to a good realtor and see if that's the case.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 18:21:57 (permalink)
Watching the PA.511 web. and I can't tell you how happy I am to be looking at the highways and by-ways through a 'puter' screen and, not a truck windshield.. 10-4!   I-90 is backed-up at the "Bay Front Connector" in PA. because of a accident and (depending on location) many of the highways are showing wet tire tracks, with the rest of the lane covered.  Thank goodness the temps. are in the low to mid 30s in most places so, the salt can do it's job.  Least not forget the drivers of the 'salt shakers' that most likely are working 10 - 12 hr. shifts; thank yinz guys.

Stopped snowing for a couple hours at my place in Penn's Woods today and the temp actually hit 35.5 degrees F., snow melted right off the road and it was looking good....... For awhile  anyway!  Snowing again, temp dropped to 32 degrees F. and my road is once again, covered.

Gonna kick back and watch the Pens, wait for the snow to stop and, go clean the driveway............  AGAIN!

Stay warm, be safe and, for those that got to be out there............  watch out for the other guy!

SCORE..............  3 to 1 PENS

Go PITTSBURGH

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 22:15:01 (permalink)
                Forgot to mention that the back of the house were most of the curling is there is a shed roof over half of the cathedral and that is ventilated with all soffit so there is a large uninsulated space under it. Don't know if that matters or not, but it would seem  all that soffit would help it

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/01 22:20:51 (permalink)
Charlie that's what I was thinking too. We will meet with a realtor this summer and probably get on a two or three year plan. Issue is we got to get enough out of the sell for the build. We are downsizing a bit and hoping that can happen. We own the current house and are hoping to stay out of debt. If it does not wrk out we may stay in this current house as I really like it other than the roof situation (I want one I do not have to shovel) and a few other small things.  

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2015/03/02 06:34:03 (permalink)
The object is to keep the roof all at one temp. A cold deck and the insulating snow that melts slowly. If you have heat escaping and melting the snow it still runs down and hits the freezing temps nearer the eaves, especially in a dual pitch with the lower section shallower. It also doesn't help if it's on the southern exposure where you get increased melting. As Andy and I mentioned earlier in this thread, it's been the worst year for roof  ice in many. That back roof really would be nice to have in  metal in your area, Clint. I've got some ice dams (no Leaks) that I've never seen before on my newer house that I built with great care. We've had about the same snow as Altmar and near the same cold.  Sometimes it's just the late winter sun strength combined with low temps that cause this, Clint.  Maybe these winters will become a  new standard. Time to move to the Kenai, it's lots warmer and less snow.
Page: << < ..8687888990.. > >> Showing page 86 of 199
Jump to: