Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia

Author
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Reward points: 0
2015/02/26 07:27:15 (permalink)

Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia

There could be a reality show about the  winter stretch of 81 between Syracuse and  Pulaski. People driving far beyond the conditions, with reckless, and that does not mean wreck-less, abandon. It reminded me of driving in LA, sans the fact that every 5th car has an aspiring starlet gazing in the mirror and you can have your top down.  It also doesn't count that your driving on slush and ice and your vision is obscured by blowing snow and salt encrusted windows. 'Cuse was more like Moscow than I would have pictured. The  Syracuse Sheraton was great. The view was the entrance to SU.   The river was cold. The coldest I've ever fished. Monday was zero, but the wind was howling and my exposed fingers relayed that fact very quickly. All Seasons to the rescue, and a pair of Stryker gloves (allowed some dexterity) saved the trip. I actually saw 2 drift boats. The clients were still smiling. Sick. I lost fish due to playing them with gloves on,  ice coating the line and hanging up, and just general cold-related issues like making dumb moves. That's not cold related? Sorry.  Below Pineville was pretty slushy and I stayed above Schoolhouse, though I had plans of fishing Ellis and a bit below. Never got there. Stayed up where there was almost guaranteed fish.  At least 20 cars in the LFZ parking lot each day. People went in at sunrise to the Church Pool, even on Mon.  I didn't go early and stayed lower, but talked to people who did. I had best luck with larger flies in black. Big buggers and rubber legged leeches got hammered at times. I did get a few with hare's ears in 12. A few guys gave me skeptical looks when I told them I used large flies. I would guess 75% of fly fishers use the exact same 4 lb. tippet, marble and small stone fly routine. I watched snag after snag after snag where they were podded in the kiddie pool. I netted a fish for a fellow that tied up my last 15 minutes of fishing for the trip because he insisted his back hooked fish was fair. I wouldn't allow him to get a pic and made him feel a little foolish. Lots of fish coming in sideways. I'd do the trip again. but skip the commute from 'cuse. Much too dangerous.  I caught fish each day and it was fun. All that matters. When I started doing this winter thing, not very long ago, these conditions would mean an empty river. Still empty down low, but the LFZ has now become almost the same, no matter the weather.
Guide icing was horrible. I'll seriously consider  getting a noodle  for future cold weather.
Back to work.

10 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/26 07:49:43 (permalink)
    Nice post, Fichy.  Glad to hear you got fish and didn't turn to Yeti.

You are allowed to drive on 81 with the top down, Two bob used to do it all the time when he had a little car!

Deterioration of driving habits in upstream is directly proportional to immigration from downstate areas where insanity behind the wheel has been the norm since horse and buggy days!

L13
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/26 08:56:22 (permalink)
    Magnificent report charlie!!! Sad to hear of dead chromers lining the bottoms of slower pools. This sure is a winter for the record books. The zone was always a crowded area even back in the mid 90's as we used to be one of those dark 30 runners for the tail of the church. Great to see pics of healthy steel

As for the commute from cuse to p-town, it has been brutal. Fichy you saw it first hand. Most cars I've seen off the road seem to be people who weren't looking or paying attention due to gradual tracks following said cars off the road. Even yesterday morning with no snow cover there was one off the road... Seems like when they notice their off thw Lane and in shoulder its too late to veer out of snow covered shoulder edge. A guy was telling me about fort drum being the culprit with so many out of stater folks being on the highway. .most cuse folks I know are heavy on both pedal and break... I often get made fun of for my grandpa like driving, but no stop lights and few stop signs in my locality has spoiled me... Lucky you are right as the worse I've seen is the lower stretch of thruway below exit 17!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/26 10:31:15 (permalink)
    Good report. Glad you got to spend some time in the realm your much accustomed too, well sans the idiots ..
    Thanks for sharing.. Almost got me thinking too. No worries, I don't think I will occupy river frontage this year .
    Hope you have many more adventures to share

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/26 12:32:37 (permalink)
    Good to see you had that action in those conditions Charlie Those hits on the large black flies don't surprise me considering the SR is loaded with Hellgramites,we had that discussion another time.In a month I'll be visiting my daughter in Ohio and plan a extended stay to fish the spring steel and look at real estate as I might be moving there.Meanwhile I hope this weather pattern is FINALLY go to change.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/26 12:40:56 (permalink)

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/26 15:37:13 (permalink)
    twobob

A man of few words but says it all!
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/26 19:10:17 (permalink)
    Yep good report on all accounts including the drive.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/27 12:27:58 (permalink)
    Charlie great to hear you survived the roads and the cold hands. I don't know how you did lately I can't even walk from the house to the car without being cold. This is coming from a guy that wears shorts when it's 40. No winter jacket but not this year
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/27 20:13:48 (permalink)
    Wayne, maybe we can sneak out and fish for droppies if the weather and river cooperate in April. Hope your working less than 80 these days. Say hi to your Dad for me.
    uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    Re: Only real men get frostbite and die of hypothermia 2015/02/27 21:25:38 (permalink)
    Starting to slow it down on my terms. I refuse to let corporate America kill me. 7 weeks vacation I'm fishing this year.
    Jump to: