Shenango River Walleye

Author
MrM_vs_Wild
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points: 0
2015/02/17 22:47:10 (permalink)

Shenango River Walleye

I've heard that the walleye from the shenango lake start to make a run up stream towards pymatuning sometime during the late winter/early spring to spawn.  Is anyone familiar with this phenomenon?  I've been up to pyme about 4 times since December and every time I run into a local they keep talking about the walleye run.  What time do they start making this run? If anyone is so inclined to share that info.  I have also heard rumors about people fishing for northern's in orangeville on pymatuning creek.  Any idea what time that kicks up?  I live in Pittsburgh.  I go up often, but I would like to set some time aside for a long weekend if I know when these events are kicking.  Thanks for the help. 

9 Replies Related Threads

chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/23 19:00:56 (permalink)
    There is a run but dont expect anything like the Maumie ohio run. It's also very short lived as they close the area to fishing for them around early march when the season in PA closes. I believe it opens back up on may 2. Is that about right Brock.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/23 23:39:42 (permalink)
    You got it Chauncy. Upper Shenango (Pymy outflow) falls under inland water rules not like the lake. There are Walleye year round in that stretch but seems to peak more in the Spring opener. One can go up now and probably get a few before the season goes out. The more water flow the better your chances for Walleye action. I've had some good days up there in past years but usually one or two legal fish is more realistic. Your right it's nothing like the Maumee Run ! That action should be starting in late March. 

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/02/23 23:46:41
    wirenut45
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/24 15:00:37 (permalink)
    been on the Maumee circus.  WOOF! what a cluster, eh, whatever. don,t even think about keeping a questionable fish. wardens use spotting scopes to watch ,n, the judge is in!!!
    MrM_vs_Wild
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/24 16:06:29 (permalink)
    Yeah I don't have any intentions on going to the maumee river.. although I was born in Toledo so maybe it'll call my name later in life.  I just want to catch a few before the season goes out and have a little fun doing it.  I've been checking out your videos on youtube Captain Hook... Looks like you guys do pretty well on the Shenango.  Thanks for sharing your pictures and knowledge with us on here.  Maybe I'll catch you on the water sometime.  
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/24 17:51:54 (permalink)
    Check your PMs........I sent you one a few days ago.

Yeah, the Maumee is crazy. The catch rate isn't even that good. I mean.......judging by the amount of people the run attracts you'd think the action would be fast and furious all day, which is not the case. Granted you have a much better shot at BIG walleye, but the fishing around here can be just as, if not more productive(numbers wise). Lots of options for walleyes across western PA and NE Ohio.
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/24 23:55:47 (permalink)
    I'll admit I struck out on the Maumee that trip. The river is usually not very clear that time of year. I mean low visibility is tough fishing.  It's shallow, with lots of snaggy rocks,and fairly strong current, as not to mention all the fishermen lined up along all good areas. It's got trophy size Walleye but like troutguy said the action is not that great at least the weekend I was there. Just had to go once and check it out . If it were closer I'd give it a few more tries. Nice thing about the Maumee is it's wide open for fishing ! Lots of parking and open access water for miles. Fishing down toward the mouth that one day you would not believe how many broke off floating jigs with twister tails attached came floating by me it the current! Dozens upon dozens from guys fishing up river breaking off. I guess that's why all these little mini trailer bait shops are all along the river.  MrM, Shenango River upper and lower holds Walleye but some years are better than other years. Persistence usually pays off for the local crowd. 

SEE WHAT SPOT BURNING DOES ! LOL..... NO SECRET SPOTS HERE.
    Theprodrifter1983
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/26 10:20:48 (permalink)
    A closer run would be the one from berlin res just out side of alliance and minerva ohio on the mahoning river. I fished it about six years back. It was crazy i saw lots of eight plus pound fish pulled out it was almost like salmon fishing just drift jihs and minnows througt deep holes then the white bass come in around may and its a blast lots of fish around three or four pounds much closer the muaimi
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/26 23:47:42 (permalink)
    Pro ,that sounds different. That's one I never heard of. Never heard much on the Mahoning River. I thought that was polluted pretty bad years back. Sounds like good Walleye action.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    Re: Shenango River Walleye 2015/02/27 09:18:03 (permalink)
    Brock, got a couple buddys from ohio that say they cleaned that river up pretty good. They've been eating fish from there for years.
    Jump to: