pistol guys ...

Author
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
  • Reward points: 0
2015/02/26 09:46:26 (permalink)

pistol guys ...

I'm looking to purchase my first pistol. . I think I like the Smith and Wesson M&p 9mm.. pretty slick and compact 3" barrel.. I would like to do a lot of shooting over carrying. . A lot of good reviews as well. Msrp is 449.99.. does anyone have any other pistols I should check out? Or any insight on this model. Thanks .. Ed

17 Replies Related Threads

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 11:18:05 (permalink)
    Ed-
    I am a retired cop with 28 years on the job as well as a sports shooter (info just a basis of experience)
      When it comes to shooting a pistol the longer the barrel the greater chance for accuracy- 3 inches is a world away from 4 1/2 or 5.
    I qualified-barely -with a snub nose but commonly shot 300s with the longer barrels on the exact same courses.
    The gun you are looking at is a great piece however if you really want to shoot often for fun a decent .22 may actually save you the cost of the gun itself in ammo price differences.
    Shooting a 9mm for a couple of hours is very costly as compared to the .22 and the enjoyment is the same.
     Frankly  really liked some of the long barreled .22 revolvers for plinking and target shooting. They are also GREAT small game guns as compared to the 9mm.
    A .22 is a GREAT starter pistol and also nice afield.
    Compact guns are nice for concealed carry but ya give up accuracy at any distance  and are questionable in small game hunting.
    You will likely get many different opinions to your question however those are mine.
     Whatever ya choose- good luck.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 12:03:04 (permalink)
    Thank you for that r3. I have been stocking up on 9mm ammo for some time now. For 100 rounds it's 27$ of federal.. I need something the girl can shoot too. I like the idea of a .22 as well. Field and stream has the sw 9mm for 399.99 this week.. I may have to give it a drive and check it outt. Of I decide I want to carry I think the 3" barrel would be nice. I'm going to check out some guns tonight and hopefully shoot them
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 16:28:10 (permalink)
    Ed there are some real nice longer barreled six to 9 shot .22s with adjustable sights out there.
    My oldest and his wife were in a similar position with her shooting a .380 and he a 9mm.
    After a number of trips to the  range she had a 22 revolver and he a 22 semi., both with adjustable sights.
    Frankly, at work, I opted outa the 9 after a while and carried a .45.
    Actually felt the 45 was smoother to shoot.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2015/02/26 18:02:05
    SaltWaterRocks
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 18:05:54 (permalink)
    The S&W 9 is a solid firearm for shooting and carrying.  Most important thing I have found for her is check the fit in her hands.  If she has small hands ans the gun doesn't seem to fit, keep looking but DO NOT think a smaller gun is going to fit better; it is actually going to be harder to handle.  Small hands, start with a .22.  Once the muscle memory and gun control skills are well developed, revisit getting her something else.  The best gun for self-defense/concealed carry is the one you are carrying.  I've CCW for almost 30 years and I can tell you my progression for what it is worth.  I started with a Beretta 92, moved down to a Taurus Pt111(similar size to the S&W), and now my wife and I both carry S&W Bodyguards.  Why a tiny .380?  It is with us ALL THE TIME.  Also, you really don't need an accuracy firearm for self protection(which, with the laser, this gun shoots pretty well) as the person you are shooting better be within range of causing you imminent, serious bodily harm.  I also have a CCW in a hidden compartment in my vehicles(the PT 111's new role.)  In the long run, buy what you like, get out there and burn some powder, and add two responsible gun owners to our ranks.  Enjoy!!!
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 19:20:14 (permalink)
    Another daughter in law swears by her 380 with the laser sight.
    Agree on protection carrying as opposed to target or range shooting--most Police shootings occur within 7 yards. Its the familiarity with what you carry thats important IMHO.

post edited by r3g3 - 2015/02/26 19:23:33
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 19:21:52 (permalink)
    SaltWaterRocks
    Most important thing I have found for her is check the fit in her hands.  If she has small hands ans the gun doesn't seem to fit, keep looking but DO NOT think a smaller gun is going to fit better; it is actually going to be harder to handle. 

x2

I have a ccw, but normally carry a wheel gun for protection.  Just leave the hammer on an empty cylinder.  If you are new to handguns and plan on using it primarily for protection, imo, a revolver is the way to go.  

I have a hammerless 44 and 38 that are my go to carry guns.  Similar to what someone said above, if you need to use it you will not be shooting at a target 25 yds away or even 10yds.  The hammerless creates a longer trigger pull, but with a little it practice will not affect accuracy.  In addition it is very difficult to wrestle a small frame revolver like a 38 out of someone's hand.

FWIW, http://www.guns.com/revie...-hammerless-revolvers/
    post edited by Chris Johnson - 2015/02/26 19:43:12
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 19:55:46 (permalink)
    But if you are looking for something to plink around with on the weekend, something like this would be my choice, http://www.beretta.com/en/u22-neos-/

But I am partial to Beretta.  You can deck them out as well.  And as someone said above, you can shoot all day and not hurt your wallet.

post edited by Chris Johnson - 2015/02/26 19:58:16
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 22:07:55 (permalink)
    Chris I gotta show support for the revolver and I agree about the trigger pull on the hammerless.  Somewhat difficult to get use to after shooting double acting hammers for a long time.  There certainly is a difference with holding steady on target with a trigger that has such a long pull.  Currently using a hammerless five shot Tauraus 357 but thinking of returning to a double acting hammer six shot 38 special.  Gotta few boxes of 357s to use first (lol).

Ed I'd be awful leery of using, just any, pocket semi-autos for CC if that style of gun is in your thoughts for your lady.  This is one gun ya wanna make sure of the fit.  I'm bettin' if, the slide takes a chunk out of your ladies thumb she'll become gun-shy and/or, want nothing to do with the gun again.

Autos and jewelry are no mix either;  sister-in-law was practicing with her .380 auto and didn't remove a wring on her thumb, the slide did!  She now carries a Taurus .38 special six shot D/A hammer.  

About those 9mm you have stocked-up; bet they don't last long if you buy a semi-auto hand gun with multiple 12 to 15 round clips. (lol)

Good luck and have fun with selecting your gun(s)  

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 22:16:26 (permalink)
    She wouldn't be carrying it just myself if I go that route.. she does like to shoot though for sure. I think I'm gonna get one and try it out.. The sw 9.. I'll report back with a final decision I'm doing more research now on the .22 caliber
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 22:59:00 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    I'm bettin' if, the slide takes a chunk out of your ladies thumb she'll become gun-shy and/or, want nothing to do with the gun again.

Autos and jewelry are no mix either;  sister-in-law was practicing with her .380 auto and didn't remove a wring on her thumb, the slide did!  She now carries a Taurus .38 special six shot D/A hammer.  

Good points.  The service broke me of wearing any rings.  It's been about 20 years since my ets and I still won't wear a ring.  Kinda upsets my wife but eventually she has come to terms with it, 

My Granddad had some Browning A5's, and a friend of my sister got her finger slammed in the action.  Was not pretty.  
    post edited by Chris Johnson - 2015/02/26 23:04:37
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 23:03:02 (permalink)
    I'm looking into one of these, http://bondarms.com/bond-arms-handguns/backup/

Rough on the wrist from what they say, lol.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 23:31:48 (permalink)
    Can't beat em when your talkin pocket sized gun for close range protection.  I trust that is a speed loader....... nice!  .357 mag is a delight, shoots .38 special for plinking(lol).  I always figured if I missed with .357 at close range the muzzle blast would get em.  Can carry these little guys in a coat pocket and not need pull it out to, fire it.  Not good for a coat but, the bad guy will never know where it came from!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 23:39:59 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
     I always figured if I missed with .357 at close range the muzzle blast would get em.  

Yeah, similar to a 38 special you can bludgeon them about the head.  Like glorified brass knuckles.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/26 23:40:38 (permalink)
    Dang Chris, I have a dealer less than ten miles from my house, I'll be on my way tomorrow.   If the better half has anything to say about me getting a new gun I'll just............................... blame you.

Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/02/27 05:33:11 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Dang Chris, I have a dealer less than ten miles from my house, I'll be on my way tomorrow.   If the better half has anything to say about me getting a new gun I'll just............................... blame you.

I have assumed culpability for a much less noble cause in the past.  I'll be there for ya brother.   Perhaps you should inquire about a "group discount"? 

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/03/06 21:41:24 (permalink)
    Well guys I evaluated a bunch of different guns but I really liked the Smith and wesson. Found a screaming deal and signed the papers today
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: pistol guys ... 2015/03/06 22:17:55 (permalink)
    Cool...............

I bought a BondArms today.........

You show me yours and I'll show ya mine............ ummmmmmmm no...

wait......

that don't sound good. Anyway I got the www.BondArms/TexasDefender.com.

Jump to: