problem

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Author
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points: 0
Re: problem 2015/01/02 21:11:09 (permalink)
Wild rivers of the pacific region host blank years or even double blank years of certain strains...
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/03 07:36:43 (permalink)
Rg3, yes you have a good point. If healthy mature cohoes are showing up to spawn it does make one think positively about the lake conditions. I know its just an inflated opinion there but seeing is in a sense a way of believing. Has anyone ever heard what dec's take is on these winter coho? I've seen them in spawning pair as late as early march.

For the record though, anyone basing a trip off of some winter cohoes that showed up here and there; unpack your truck now... Its not like a river full of salmon. Just some healthy coho that started showing up in their usual winter spots... When I say good numbers that's my interpretation of good numbers based on my own sightings of winter cohoes through the years... I'd hate to see someone waste their time and money coming up based on my inflated opinion :)
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: problem 2015/01/03 09:04:00 (permalink)
Ahhh the river is full of ho's and you know it. If some nice respectable fisherperson wants to come up and spend some coin roping a few so be it. 😝😇😈

All that aside I have seen them in February a few times, don't know why they run late, but it is always a nice surprise getting one late (early) in the year. It's ma nature at her best, things happen and then other things. It's for a reason. Maybe she is making room for the Atlantic,s😁.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/03 10:47:11 (permalink)
Clint S
Ahhh the river is full of ho's and you know it. If some nice respectable fisherperson wants to come up and spend some coin roping a few so be it. 😝😇😈 All that aside I have seen them in February a few times, don't know why they run late, but it is always a nice surprise getting one late (early) in the year. It's ma nature at her best, things happen and then other things. It's for a reason. Maybe she is making room for the Atlantic,s😁.

Alright clint you called me out... I'll back down from my propaghandi!!!
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: problem 2015/01/03 13:10:38 (permalink)
ENLIGHTENMENT PLEASE---
Likely knew this once but alas have lost it--along with lotsa other important stuff--
  OK--so--3 years ago there were lots of dead Hos in late winter all over Kiddie. To my knowledge nothing like it since--now it looks like the offspring are at it again--GOOD.
 My problem is that I really don't know if they actually come in late like this and spawn in the cold of winter.

Seems to me that the Hos that come in with the Kings spawn early -see them doing the nasty all the time in fall- then they all seem to die off and go away like Kings.

BUT WAIT- every now and again Hos come in winter and do it all over again.
OK -GOOD--
Are they a whole different strain that got in here somehow or has this been going on for a while ??
One may wonder as the 3 year cycle seems to be repeating although it may have been happening 'under the radar' with smaller numbers.

Either way it speaks great things for the SR --especially now when questions about larger fishes in the lake were in vogue.
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: problem 2015/01/03 17:40:38 (permalink)
Personally, I keep my opinion inflator behind the truck seat with the chains and flares. Some Jan. ho's scared the heck out of Nancy in one of the diversions  about 3-4 years ago. She was crossing and a few pairs started splashing where she didn't expect anything. Any fish activity is good with me, catchable or not. F'it, I'm not going to buy into the must get up at 3 am to dredge the zoo for hero shots ( Is my hat on at the right angle? Does the fish look BIG?)  So some mid winter hikes mid river  are maybe in the cards, but in the meanwhile thanks for the  useful info and conversation.  FWIW, chatter about die-off and down numbers coming from Mich., too.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/03 18:43:29 (permalink)
Thanks for sharing charlie. Really wish I kept journals through the years on all of this stuff. But sounds about right. Did not see or hear much of any winter coho the last 2 seasons. But 3 seasons ago was the most I ever saw with the latest being in first week of march with good numbers that February as well. The season before that had good numbers as well. I do recall my first sightings of them quite a few seasons before that followed by blank seasons. Could be a 2 seasons on 2 seasons off schedule these winter coho are on. Just wondering if DEC will ever shed any light on it. Will say they are mean looking exotic cohoes once they start getting their dominant spawning features
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: problem 2015/01/07 20:18:03 (permalink)
Well the DEC put out a press release today. I am too lazy to post it. Pretty much says what we know. B12 deficiency, not much they can do with the ones on the river. Fish at the hatchery will be injected and held till spring and egg take

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: problem 2015/01/08 18:26:53 (permalink)
And lets hope they are successful in getting enough for the egg take.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/100233.html
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/08 19:01:28 (permalink)
Thanks, Lucky. We need to all do a fish dance or offer up a sacrifice to the fish gods.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/08 19:56:29 (permalink)
 Was gettin all happy bout a few Hos showing up - after reading that it looks like we may have been simply lucky to have a few Hos show up- or much of anything for a while unless the fish start to eat something else.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/08 21:38:10 (permalink)
Yup pretty much the same stuff we've been hearing for a while. Interested to see the winter and spring returns. The interference with egg development really caught my eye in retrospect to the 2012 kings that had underdeveloped skeins...
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/09 07:42:42 (permalink)
http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt438n99wc;NAAN=13030&doc.view=frames&chunk.id=d0e442&toc.depth=1&toc.id=d0e442&brand=calisphere

"

Spawning Season

The spawning season of trout varies to some extent with the locality and the temperature of the water. By nature, eastern brook and brown trout are fall spawners, while rainbows spawn in the spring (a complete list of the common and scientific names of the salmons and trouts of California is contained in the section The Classification of Fishes). In some California streams with runs of anadromous fishes, such as the Trinity River, there is hardly a month in the year when some strain of fish is not spawning. As an example, spring-spawning king salmon arrive in the upper river section at Lewiston the latter part of June. They are then followed by the summer and fall runs, which extend the salmon spawning season to mid-November. The king salmon runs overlap the silver salmon runs, which extend from November through January. The silvers in turn overlap the steelhead, which spawn during the period January through June. Actually, the steelhead of the Trinity River may be divided into those of the spring run (fish in general entering and migrating upstream on dropping stream levels while quite green, and spawning in the following season), and those of the fall run (fish in general entering on rising stream levels with sexual products in various stages of development, but spawning within the same season).
There are several ways in which the spawning season can be advanced. These include selective breeding, use of artificially controlled light, and injection of pituitary hormones. Selective breeding has been highly effective, and through this process the fall-spawning rainbow commonly referred to as the Hot Creek strain has been developed. Even though selective breeding is a very slow process, the results not being evident until several generations of offspring have been dealt with, the results are permanent and once the strain of fish has been developed it can be perpetuated by proper selection. It has been clearly demonstrated that the spawning time of trout can be advanced by the injection of pituitary hormones; however, this method is still in its infancy and, before the average hatcheryman will be benefited by its use, much needs to be learned regarding it. It offers interesting possibilities for crossbreeding varieties which spawn at different times of the year.

Effect of Temperature on Brood Stock and Eggs

Probably no other single thing regulates the development of eggs and growth of fish as much as temperature. It has been shown that rainbow trout reared in water held fairly constant at 60 degrees F. grow in length at the rate of about one inch per month. At 45 degrees F. they grow at less than one-quarter inch per month.
It is quite generally agreed that yearling and adult rainbow can withstand temperatures up to 78 degrees F. for short periods of time without harmful effect. It has also been shown that in order to produce eggs of good quality, rainbow spawners must be held at water temperatures not exceeding 56 degrees F., and preferably not above 54 degrees F., for a period of at least six months before spawning.
In order to get rainbow brood stock to grow rapidly and spawn when two years old, it is common practice to rear them the first 16 months of their life at a location where water temperatures are fairly constant at 60 degrees F., and then to transfer them to a location with a water temperature below 54 degrees F. to mature.
Just as water temperatures which are too warm (higher than 56 degrees) adversely affect egg development in rainbow and king salmon spawners, so do water temperatures which are too cold (42 degrees or lower) affect the development and incubation of trout and salmon eggs. In one experiment in which mature adult king salmon females, nearly ready to spawn, were placed in water ranging from 34 to 38 degrees, none of the females ripened and all died before spawning.
In an attempt to incubate king salmon eggs at a constant 35-degree temperature, mortality was practically 100 percent. Eggs held at water temperatures of 42.5 degrees or higher developed with only normal loss. Salmon eggs which had been held in water slightly above 42 degrees for a period of six days or longer could then tolerate colder temperatures without excessive mortalities. It is safe to say that the eggs of rainbow trout and king salmon will not develop normally in the fish if constant water temperatures above 56 degrees F. are encountered. It also follows that both rainbow trout and king salmon eggs cannot be incubated in water below 42 degrees F. without excessive loss."

Just to offer a sense of how variable all of this is, and how little of it is " written in stone," and how many factors there are that can influence when one or the majority of any population develop to any point.

Maybe the cohos are noticeable in years when there are low numbers of steelhead, and not so noticeable in years of high numbers of steelhead.  There are a LOT of variables to try to juggle.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/09 08:20:18 (permalink)
GVod read. you know this past summer the water temp really did not get above 70 until late and it was not for too long. Based on the article aboVe it seems as if natural repro for steelhead is not completely out of the question for the Salmon River. especially since we have rainbows spawning from November till as late as early June as we saw last year. how about the Kings from 2012 lucky? In which most of all I saw had 1 underdeveloped skein and 1 regularly developEd skein....
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/09 18:00:08 (permalink)
I'm still looking, have not found anything about relative size of the skeins.  But these fish are also carrying a body burden of known contaminants related to endocrine system disruption, mutagenicity (mutations), teratogenicity (deformities), and carcinogenicity (cancer, or tumor formation), so maybe a lot of kings got a higher dose that year.  I think if it were systemic (all the hens ) we might have heard something from DEC about needing to take more fish to get sufficient eggs.  Or maybe the skeins develop at different rates, and by the time the hens ripened , they were carrying the full load.  As I recall, you are generally harvesting very early and very low in the river, so if there were differential development, you might only see one skein where the eggs have filled out.  I know I have close friends who ran a bait store and bought all the skein or loose eggs they could get, and they never mentioned anything about this from the Genesee and other Tribs in Western NY. 

But I'll keep looking, I don't have a salmon anatomy and physiology text in my library so I have to do the webcrawl.

Another thing that you notice about science when you have worked with it long enough is there is nearly always an exception to every rule. 
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/10 08:43:56 (permalink)
Yes early and low is correct. They didn't come til late labor day that year. Fished steadily til 3rd wee September and the later part just helped friends and family mostly. I like my salmon silver :) and I have always been a firm believer in exceptions to the rules with everything. Kinda what keeps me going.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: problem 2015/01/16 15:02:51 (permalink)
Have yinz seen this story.............................

Somewhere on the North Fork of Idaho’s Clearwater River is a rainbow trout weighing at least 28 pounds–or about 8 pounds heavier than the state record for the species.
Larry Warren, who knew that he had a possible record-breaker on the line during a recent fishing trip with a buddy, was compelled to release the fish because it was protected under state law.
“I knew that it could potentially be a state record when it came 2 feet out of the water,” Warren told the Coeur d’Alene Press. “It took a 70-yard run up the river.”
The 55-year-old angler noticed after landing the trout that it had an intact adipose fin. The state mandates that rainbow trout with an unclipped adipose fin must be released.

Any mandates like this in your home state?

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/01/16 15:04:33

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/17 10:20:44 (permalink)
Rainbow trout (or steelhead if they run to salt, and some get up into Idaho on the Clearwater) are native fish on the west coast, and in many States have been listed as endangered species, mandating release, and in some places closing rivers to angling.  Hatchery fish are all clipped, and this is what anglers are allowed to retain.  In NYS , all rainbow trout or steelhead, whether products of the hatcheries (Randolph for the "domestic" rainbow strains, the stocky, redder fish, and Altmar for the Chambers Creek silver bullets and Skamanias) or produced from spawning in the wild, are exotics, invasive species in some lexicons, and some would argue that they, and other introduced exotics like Brown trout, King Salmon and Coho salmon, should all be removed to enhance the possibility of reestablishment of the native salmonids, of which there are three, other than the whitefishes, Lake Trout (or, more accurately, Lake Char), Salvelinus namycush;  Brook Trout ,(or Brook char), Salvelinus fontinalis; and Atlantic Salmon (actually a trout), Salmo Salar.   Of course, reestablishment of these natives would also require elimination of myriad lower trophic level exotics, called invasive species because they are nuisances, and were for the most part not intentionally introduced, like alewife, rainbow smelt, spiny and spinier water fleas, and zebra and quagga mussels, to mention a few of over 180 in LO, and that is highly unlikely.  The Fish Community Objectives developed by NYSDEC and Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR) and on the DEC Website detail this problem and the management actions developed in recognition of this problem, and the risks associated with the actions, in great detail.  (http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lopublic2012.pdf; this is a draft but is likely very close to what was submitted to the Great Lakes Commission) The major management action is stocking of all these exotic sportfish, primarily as controls on the alewife population, but with the secondary benefit of promoting the sportfishing economy.  I think it would be kind of hard to justify "catch and release only" fishing for a non-native species, at least without quantifying the contribution of in-stream reproduction to the maintenance of the overall population and fishery, and that has not been done yet, hopefully in the next few years when they get the Coho evaluation done, or as a form of crowd control as we have in the fly only zones on the upper Salmon.  But a 28 pounder in the Clearwater could be a huge part of the ongoing efforts to restore the native steelhead and pacific salmon runs to the level at which they were historically encountered, and would certainly be a valuable part of the gene pool, having reached that size.
post edited by Lucky13 - 2015/01/17 10:25:18
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: problem 2015/01/17 11:34:42 (permalink)

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: problem 2015/01/17 11:37:25 (permalink)
post edited by twobob - 2015/01/17 15:33:23
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/17 11:58:54 (permalink)
I have heard of people resembling their pets, but fish?
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/17 13:05:59 (permalink)
Yup twobob. It does look like one of those. Believe the world record rainbow was caught out of Saskatchewan a few years back (looked a a lot like that one pictured above)to break the old world record which was taken from Alaska... That fish pictured above does not look like a typical b-run steelhead from the clear water... Not like I've ever caught one but I've read a good amount on it and they are usually not fat like that. But yes I agree, if an ocean run wild rainbow makes its way to almost Montana... It should be a federal law to put that fish back because that's one heck of a trip it made to descend back to the ocean and then return multiple times. For the salmon river? No, I disagree.. . no need for catch and release
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/30 08:00:41 (permalink)
Based on the latest NY Outdoor News, DEC has confirmed the Vitamin B1 Deficiency as the root cause of the problem last fall (or is it still happening, no one is chiming out about it here.) While they have not said it, it would seem logical that a weak fish exposed to multiple exertions becomes a dead fish, same as a fish hung on a rope.  Maybe the weather is enforcing a moratorium on fishing for now, but if you are not into creeling fish, this might be a good year to put in the effort on some other species and leave the ironheads to recover.

Jes' saying'. 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/30 08:42:28 (permalink)
Agreed- likely even forgo catch and release spring fishing. Less stress = more likelihood of breeding IMHO.
Read a report a week or two ago bout a guy fishing mid river still seeing occasional floaters or swirlers a couple of days in a row  ( new arrivals ?)
Guess we gotta wait for next year to see if it was lake conditions last Winter affecting forage choices, or an ongoing issue.

Either way it may well be that a lot of return breeders are out of the system now.
Issue may well be felt for  few seasons even if it clears next year.

post edited by r3g3 - 2015/01/30 09:30:33
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/30 11:08:35 (permalink)
Lucky what do you think... Lack of bait forcing steelhead to eat alewives which in turn competes against the Chinook population...add to that a 5 year bumper crop of steelhead and Chinook... Add lakers in to the mix... Think of a fish tank... You can putas many fish as you want it...but they need to eat... Thoughts???

As for steelhead reports, none from me knlh observations. No need to promote other peoples success... I am quite happy to see the vault in internet hype. I just hope some of these cluelesd newbies don't take a plunge fishing through slush on the lower river :/
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: problem 2015/01/30 12:15:30 (permalink)
I thought it was just the other way around db, over abundance of alewife in the steelheads preferred zone .
Maybe it was lack of predator fish ( salmon ) to keep them in check.. The lake guys want More salmon stocked, of course.
We marked LOTS of bait schools out there and few target fish.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/30 12:23:20 (permalink)
Maybe tuna... I'm questioning it myself. Why are the steelhead eating more alewives???
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/30 12:24:33 (permalink)
Could the alewives be evolving chemically??? Question marks...
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/30 12:45:37 (permalink)
I understood it as Tuna described-likely caused by unusual conditions last winter.
This season- seeming more normal hopefully will change things back to normal -think without a lot of return fishes-  think it will be mostly cookies for a while-cept for those that make it through the times.
Like to see release only for anything bigger- like a slot size limit-at least  for a while.

NOT saying no steel  will survive as they seem to be getting over it in the river after a while but many seem to have died.
That's all IFFFF the bait was the only factor and IFFF its cleared up this season with weather.

The jury is still out on Kings and Hos.
Lake reports all season were of  few big Kings- at least on our end. I understood it that  shorts likely made the numbers in the States Lake Report.
Could Kings have been dying off sooner than the Steel for some reason causing the extremely poor run- if ya call that a run ???
 Saw far less spawn activity this year with them.
(yea yea it was OK in the zones--below that wasn't normal though from where I walked)

Still more questions than answers.
Next couple of years will tell about the Kings --without a definitive disease answer--  returns from the banner runs should be excellent barring other factors.
Frankly I would bet we have issues for a while with them.
Hate to be so negative.
post edited by r3g3 - 2015/01/30 13:00:57
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: problem 2015/01/30 15:18:39 (permalink)
Rt I to believe that last winter has a contribution to mother natures cycle. And believe it or not as cold as last years winter was, even an average winter this year could take the same toll. Lake is freezing up pretty good. Nothing but very cold for about a month from here on
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 6
Jump to: